Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: **Official Chicago White Sox Thread*
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:46 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Throwing at somebody and headhunting are completely different. And if you are suggesting that Ozzie Guillen is the only manager in the MLB that tells his pitchers to hit an opposing batter in certain circumstances, you'd be sorely mistaken.

I don't see how the argument "everyone's doing it, so it must be ok" matters. More than one player has intentionally hit a QB in football, so that means it's ok? Having your pitchers intentionally throw a 90+ mph fastball at a batter is pretty serious. Ask any batter who's been thrown at, hit, or beaned in the head (people have died from this).

Ozzie is a piece of shit human being who has no business being in MLB. Baseball has thrown out management before for less, but he gets rewarded with a new contract?

You still have failed to tell me how throwing at a batter and headhunting are the same. Ozzie has never headhunted any hitter. I played baseball and was a hitter up intil college, If you don't know that throwing a batter in certain circumstances is not only part of the game, but a very important part of the game, then you don't have a clue about baseball, and therefore your opinion on ozzie guillen is not even worth the space you've taken up on this thread. Maybe i should explain to you what a "run and hit" is?

Ozzie is a loose cannon! he must be stopped at all costs! I will lead a cruisade with Jay Marriotti to get Ozzie fired and ban him from baseball forever!

http://thedrunkenscribe.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:22 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Throwing at somebody and headhunting are completely different. And if you are suggesting that Ozzie Guillen is the only manager in the MLB that tells his pitchers to hit an opposing batter in certain circumstances, you'd be sorely mistaken.

I don't see how the argument "everyone's doing it, so it must be ok" matters. More than one player has intentionally hit a QB in football, so that means it's ok? Having your pitchers intentionally throw a 90+ mph fastball at a batter is pretty serious. Ask any batter who's been thrown at, hit, or beaned in the head (people have died from this).

Ozzie is a piece of shit human being who has no business being in MLB. Baseball has thrown out management before for less, but he gets rewarded with a new contract?

You still have failed to tell me how throwing at a batter and headhunting are the same. Ozzie has never headhunted any hitter. I played baseball and was a hitter up intil college, If you don't know that throwing a batter in certain circumstances is not only part of the game, but a very important part of the game, then you don't have a clue about baseball, and therefore your opinion on ozzie guillen is not even worth the space you've taken up on this thread. Maybe i should explain to you what a "run and hit" is?

Wow, you played HS baseball, you are an expert :roll:

And you've still seem to think that throwing a lethal weapon at someone is ok and then justify it with a "well everyone does it" excuse. Let me guess, your were the guy in HS baseball that thought it was cool to chuck warm up pitches at batters in the on-deck circle who were trying to time you, because hey, everyone does it? Who cares if someone goes blind or dies from it, as long as the goal is winning and maintaining tradition? If someone's life is fucked, well, that is part of the game. :? MLB doesn't think so and tha'ts why warnings are supposed to be given out right away when people get hit.

Maybe you don't know anyone from your glory HS days taht's been seriously injured from this crap but I do (because of a fucking retaliation pitch) and it's serious. It's a shame that you put competitiveness over safety. Don't forget it's just a game...

If you really believe that, then you had no business in the game either. It's a shame if you value a game, and it's violent pasttime idiosyncrasies over human life and welfare.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:22 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

Wow, you played HS baseball, you are an expert :roll:

And you've still seem to think that throwing a lethal weapon at someone is ok and then justify it with a "well everyone does it" excuse. Let me guess, your were the guy in HS baseball that thought it was cool to chuck warm up pitches at batters in the on-deck circle who were trying to time you, because hey, everyone does it? Who cares if someone goes blind or dies from it, as long as the goal is winning and maintaining tradition? If someone's life is fucked, well, that is part of the game. :? MLB doesn't think so and tha'ts why warnings are supposed to be given out right away when people get hit.

Maybe you don't know anyone from your glory HS days taht's been seriously injured from this crap but I do (because of a fucking retaliation pitch) and it's serious. It's a shame that you put competitiveness over safety. Don't forget it's just a game...

If you really believe that, then you had no business in the game either. It's a shame if you value a game, and it's violent pasttime idiosyncrasies over human life and welfare.

I've seen alot of garbage posted on these boards, this is got to be tops. I actually had to read your post twice to make sure you actually typed that shit. Reading is a skill. I never said that "Just because other managers do it, it makes it okay." You said that. What i was trying to say is that since every manager across the both leagues actually have played the game and know the game alot more than me, and certaintly alot more than you, that it IS part of the game, and has been for hundreds of years. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO PLAY CRICKET! And im not one of those jocks that puts competitiveness over safety. Correct me if im wrong, has anyone died or gone blind from getting hit in the ribs or the ass? No. You sound like Tipper Gore for christ sake. You just type a bunch of garbage and hope it sticks. The whole part of my argument is that throwing at batters and headhunting are completely different. You still fail to understand that. Everyone knows across baseball that throwing at batters above the shoulders is a no no. So, your originally statement that Ozzie Guillen is a head hunter is not only false, its absurd, and idiotic. If you don't like the way he manages, fine, if you don't like his potty mouth , fine, if you don't like him because he speaks his mind, fine, but don't you tell me or anyone with a brain that he is a head hunter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:21 pm 
Supersonic

Rowand to the Giants.

So the White Sox missed out on:

1. Tori Hunter
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Fukudome
4. Rowand

So now what?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:27 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Rowand to the Giants.

1. Tori Hunter
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Fukudome
4. Rowand

So now what?

i'd say they really only missed out on cabrera, and even still, he wasn't open to anyone. the other two are older free agents who are getting paid too much (i'm just assuming this about the rowand deal). fukedome's an unknown commodity.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:44 pm 
Supersonic

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Rowand to the Giants.

1. Tori Hunter
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Fukudome
4. Rowand

So now what?

i'd say they really only missed out on cabrera, and even still, he wasn't open to anyone. the other two are older free agents who are getting paid too much (i'm just assuming this about the rowand deal). fukedome's an unknown commodity.

They pushed hard for Hunter and Rowand. And with Kenny Williams saying that they would land a big fish this offseason, I would say that they struck out in FA.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:46 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Chris_H_2 wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Rowand to the Giants.

1. Tori Hunter
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Fukudome
4. Rowand

So now what?

They pushed hard for Hunter and Rowand. And with Kenny Williams saying that they would land a big fish this offseason, I would say that they struck out in FA.

i see what you mean, but from my point of view, i'd say williams got lucky without knowing it.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:51 pm 
Supersonic

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Rowand to the Giants.

1. Tori Hunter
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Fukudome
4. Rowand

So now what?

i see what you mean, but from my point of view, i'd say williams got lucky without knowing it.

Oh I agree. I wouldn't have paid Hunter the money that he got. I probably would have offered more for Fukudome, but Williams didn't because he thought that he'd land Rowand. I just find it funny that Williams goes on record saying what he said and then came away with nothing. If they're going to have a $120 million payroll, the least that they could do is finish with more than just a couple more wins than KC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I have a bad, bad feeling about this summer on the South Side. Who knows, maybe there is a plan "E"??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

1. Thank god KW didn't give Hunter 90 million
2. They never had the horses to get Cabrera.
3. The White Sox were not outbid by the cubs.
4. They weren't willing to give Rowand a 5th year. Aaron Rowand himself wouldn't have turned this team around.

So i really can't blame kenny williams, i just don't think the pieces were in place for them to succeed this year. They need to put their money away for this year, and see if guys like Brian Anderson, Carlos Quentin, Ryan Sweeney, Jerry Owens, David Richar, Lance Broadway, Gavin Floyd, Gio Gonzalez can play. Make your evaluations at the end of the season, trade those that could bring you serious value back like a Cabrera did this year, and make a splash in FA next year with the excess money that they will have.

That being said, KW will be trading a lot in the next couple of months. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Konerko will be traded before spring training.

Last edited by pnjguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:12 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

i am not saying that Sox fans should be up in arms about missing out on some of these moves. however the Sox still have the same glaring holes they started the offseason with so as time passes and they aren't addressed you've gotta find it a little unsettling.

http://thedrunkenscribe.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tonysolano wrote:
i am not saying that Sox fans should be up in arms about missing out on some of these moves. however the Sox still have the same glaring holes they started the offseason with so as time passes and they aren't addressed you've gotta find it a little unsettling.

Yes it is, however, i don't want them to compound the problem by giving away money and guys that are not worth it now, or going into it with the mindset that they have to win now because they planned on doing that going into this winter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:57 pm 
Supersonic

Face it pnjguy, this has not been a good offseason for the Sox to say the least. And the fact that the Sox were not outbid by the Cubs has to make it even worse.

My favorite Kenny Williams' quote this offseason: (on the Tigers obtaining Miguel Cabrera) "It definititely puts them in a better position to compete with us." This from a team that finished with 90 losses last year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:41 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Face it pnjguy, this has not been a good offseason for the Sox to say the least. And the fact that the Sox were not outbid by the Cubs has to make it even worse.

My favorite Kenny Williams' quote this offseason: (on the Tigers obtaining Miguel Cabrera) "It definititely puts them in a better position to compete with us." This from a team that finished with 90 losses last year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know, that was hilarious. I think Dye wasn't happy about moving to left or something. And yes, its been a bad offseason, but in the end it may be a blessing in disguise. The first time in a while I think we don't have a chance before the season starts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:46 am 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

Chris_H_2 wrote:

90 loses yes, but you guys have owned the Tigers the last few years.

That said, I think KC will finish with a better record than the White Sucks this year.

J88Ryan everywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:00 pm 
Supersonic

J38ryan wrote:
90 loses yes, [b]but you guys[b] have owned the Tigers the last few years.

I'm a Tigers fan . . .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:01 pm 
Supersonic

pnjguy wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I know, that was hilarious. I think Dye wasn't happy about moving to left or something. And yes, its been a bad offseason, but in the end it may be a blessing in disguise. The first time in a while I think we don't have a chance before the season starts.

I think there were a couple of things going on with Fukudome. Besides the money, he wanted to be the first Japanese player on a particular club, and he didn't want to piss off Dye. I can't blame Williams for losing out on him.

So do they trade Konerko?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I think they wouldn't mind it, Konerko would have to okay anything, and the way the teams has turned out, i think he would go to a place like Anaheim. Maybe they package Konerko, Crede and a mid-level prospect for Figgins and Santana.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:11 pm 
Supersonic

pnjguy wrote:
I think they wouldn't mind it, Konerko would have to okay anything, and the way the teams has turned out, i think he would go to a place like Anaheim. Maybe they package Konerko, Crede and a mid-level prospect for Figgins and Santana.

I thought Konerko's 10/5 rights don't kick in until May.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:23 pm 
Supersonic

Chris_H_2 wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

I thought Konerko's 10/5 rights don't kick in until May.

This is correct.

And does he seriously think Konerko and Crede would get Figgins and Santana?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports