Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Anyone an ESPN insider?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:23 pm 
Got Some

Also known as an ESPN magazine subscriber? I was trying to Read Bill Simmons' Sports Guy chat, and it booted me half way through and told me I had to be an Insider to finish reading it. If anyone wants to do a brother a solid and pm me with their Insider Username and Password, it would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:28 pm 
Unthought Known

Bill Simmons: All right, I don't think there's ever been more to discuss during a chat. One important note: We're going to be openly and liberally discussing the Sopranos over the duration of this chat. So if you missed last night's show, I don't know what to tell you. For everyone serving overseas who didn't get to see the show, my deepest apologies, you might want to skip this chat if you still intend on seeing the show.

Let's get going...

Michael, Boston, MA: Which did you TIVO last night; The Sopranos Finale or game 2 of the NBA Finals? I would assume the Sopranos would have taken precedence. Who was crushed harder; The Cavs or Phil Leotardo?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I TiVo'ed the game and watched the East Coast feed of the Sopranos live. Then I watched the second half of the game and watched the West Coast feed of the Sopranos hoping that the ending would make more sense the second time around. And actually, it did.

Brett (LA): Most people will hate the end of the Sopranos, but then again, most people suck. David Chase handled the ending with the same delicate, subtle nature that he did the entire show. The ending showed us that this is the life Tony made for himself, a life of fear, a life where you should concentrate on the good moments (as AJ said) because there will be bad ones to come (like his impending arrest). It was well done. To anyone expecting a bloodbath, go rent Cleaver. You've been watching the wrong show all these years. Oh, and if you tell me im wrong, up yours.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I agree with this... the problem was that, on the first viewing, right when it ended, everyone had the same reaction: "Oh, no, my cable just went out!" I don't think that's the reaction you want for the last scene of one of the greatest TV series ever,

SportsNation Bill Simmons: but I watched the ending a second time (and about 6 more times, actually, I was fascinated by how they constructed it) and it's clear what the intent was: There was no ambiguity, the whole scene was centered around the fact that his head kept popping up every time the front door of the coffee shop opened.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: So in the final last few frames, the person he loves most was coming through the door, but they cut away right as his head was popping up in that split-second of "Uh-oh, who's this?" fear that will consume the rest of Tony's life. I thought that was cool and a good way to end it. The problem was, I didn't figure this out until the 4th or 5th time.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: So that's bad. I do think that, if he was really getting killed right at the end, they would have shown the guy coming out of the men's bathroom, even for a split-second. That's why I'm certain he didn't get killed. Anyway, that was my interpretation.

Erik (Boston, MA): Bill, You refer to the Sopranos as one of the greatest series' ever and yet it has gotten panned by reviewers and lambasted by some of the hardcore fans it had in the earlier seasons...what gives?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That happens to every TV show. Look, I don't care what people say after the fact, there has never been a television experience - EVER - like those last 2 episodes. Name me another time where the viewer was literally having a heart attack wondering what was going to happen. People will appreciate those shows eventually. But I do agree that there was a much better way to execute the whole "did my cable just go out?" fade to black. It's too bad.

Nate, Queens, NY: I was really amazed at how they were able to build the tension so well by using sharp camera angles, seemingly inconsequential occurences and the cheesiest power ballad of all time. My heart was racing even after the third viewing. Fantastic finish. Also Leotardo's death was one of the funniest death scenes ever.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Totally agree. The amazing thing about the final scene was how, on the second viewing, everyone who entered the coffee shop was so harmless... but on the first viewing, you're completely convinced that each of them is up to no good. And the cuts to Meadow parallel parking were so freaking tense, but in reality, that's one of the more mundane things a human being could do... on the second viewing, it was just someone trying to park their car. I feel like that was the whole point of the ending. Even something like meeting the family at a coffee shop had now become a nerve-wracking experience for Tony. His life was screwed.

Phil (Atlanta Ga): Bill - everyone wants to know your take on the Sopranos ending...do you buy the theory that the "black screen" was Tony's last moment before getting popped?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I liked that theory but I feel like they would have topped it off with the guy coming out of the bathroom. My stepdad was furious afterwards, he's the biggest Sopranos fan ever... after the show ended, when it was ambiguous what happened, I said, "Well, maybe David Chase meant for everyone to have their own interpretion for what happened," and my stepdad screamed, "Maybe I shouldn't have watched the last episode at all, I could have just imagined how it would have ended!" He was pissed. I think he's calmed down after the second viewing though.

Paul (Auburn NY): What are your thoughts on the trade rumors involing Shawn Marion to the Celtics for the fifth pick, theo ratliff and one of the guards?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I don't think it makes any sense for Phoenix. if they trade Marion or Stoudemire, the goal would be to get under the tax. Well, how does Ratliff's contract help? Yeah, it expires next summer, but it still counts on the cap this year... and he's adamant that he's not retiring. So that trade makes no sense. If they deal Marion, it has to be to a team under the cap that can absorb most/all of his contract, like Atlanta or Charlotte. For instance, if Atlanta offered the No. 11 pick, Josh Childress and Marvin Williams, that could work.

Mark (Tewksbury, MA) : What's next for the Soprano's?? Do you see a full length movie in the making? I don't think they can because so many main guys are dead.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: My worst fear is that a coupla years pass and they do make the movie... and it's a train wreck. By the way, did we ever figure out who "Carlo" is? That was the guy who finally turned on Tony? I have watched every minute of this show and can't figure out who he is. They should have had Little Stevie turn on him.

Dan (Mount Laurel, NJ): When Tony and Bobby were fishing in this year's season premiere, Bobby asked Tony how he thought it all ended. Tony's answer? "It all goes to black." I don't think he got whacked either, mostly because I have no idea who's left to order the hit, but I don't see how having Meadow come in and sit down and having Tony continue to look up every time the door opened would be any less effective.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: A few readers e-mailed me this theory. I still think they would have foreshadowed it with the guy coming out of the bathroom.

Scott (Cleveland, OH): Is Mike Brown the worst ever to coach in the NBA finals?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: An excellent question. He's on the short list with Brian Hill, Mike Dunleavy and Del Harris. Let's see if they get swept first. I am still in disbelief that Hughes played more than 1 minute and Z played more than 10. it's like nothing was learned from game 1. Plus, Gibson is the only guy on the roster who can stay in front of Parker! What a botch job.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: An excellent question. He's on the short list with Brian Hill, Mike Dunleavy and Del Harris. Let's see if they get swept first. I am still in disbelief that Hughes played more than 1 minute and Z played more than 10. it's like nothing was learned from game 1. Plus, Gibson is the only guy on the roster who can stay in front of Parker! What a botch job.

Dave (Arlington VA): What amazes me about the end of The Sopranos is how David Chase has seemed to anticipate everyone's reaction, and he doesn't care. I was with everyone who shouted at the TV set when it went black. Then like everyone else I watched it again and began to appreciate it at an artistic level...the notion that Tony's life is one big existential and ultimately pointless loop. That's fine. But you know what? I still hate the ending, and I can't help but feel like this was David Chase sticking up his middle finger at the fans. You wanted closure? Too bad. This thing is going to end the way I say it will end. I feel like he pulled the plug not on Tony, but on the rest of us who invested in the show. Seems sad that I feel like I'm owed better by a TV show, but there you go.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I can't argue with this... but that's what I like about Chase, he did the show his way, he didn't care what people thought, and that was that. Everyone should do a TV show this way. That's what killed Studio 60, just as the show was starting to show some promise, Sorkin caved and turned it into a romantic comedy. I don't think you can care about pleasing everyone when you're writing a big show like that, you have to stick to your guns.

Kyle (Orlando, FL): Is this Cavs team the worst team to ever make it to the NBA finals? I'm not sure if they are worse then the ending of The Sopranos though. That was one of the ultimate letdowns in my opinion. Anyways, do the Cavs have any shot to even win 1 game?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Since 1976, I actually think they have a chance... at least the '81 Rockets had Moses, he was the best player in the league back then. And the 2002/2003 Nets teams, as limited as they were, had J-Kidd running the show. If the 2007 Cavs get swept, they're the worst in 3 decades. But why is any of this a surprise? We knew going into it that the East/West thing was like JV/varsity.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Out of all the East teams, I think the Bulls would have had the best chance to at least be competitive against this Spurs team.

Sean (Chappaqua NY): Bigger surprise let down: The finale of the Sopranos or Lebron's performance in the finals thus far?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: You can't call it a letdown, he's only 22 and playing for a team that isn't nearly good enough to be in the Finals. I mean, if the '86 Bulls had made the Finals, you really think MJ would have done damage with Corzine/Macy/Sellers et al? Of course not. My one gripe with Bron is that he should be attacking the basket more - he's settling for too many jumpers and trying to reenact Game 5 of the Detroit series.

Chris (Louisville, KY): I think we can blame any series ending letdown on Jerry Seinfeld. After that stink bomb every director is gonna try to do the same thing and put their "stamp" on the finale.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: See, now that was a bad series finale! The show should have ended with Elaine and Jerry ending up together. By the way, I'm sorry this chat is so serious, I am still tense from the Sopranos, I might have to do a shot of Patron or something.

Mark (Charlotte): Sopranos finale - brilliant or poorly executed mindmolestation? It reminded me of the autistic kid episode of The White Shadow where the final scene simply showed the kid heaving a shot. Don't stop believing.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Glad someone brought this up. That was the first great ambiguous ending to a TV episode.

Man in the Members Only jacket: I did not shoot Tony Soprano. I only went to the bathroom to wash my hands before eating my onion rings.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm glad we settled this.

Daniel (Washington, DC): So, who was the cat? Ade? Chris? "Little Pussy"?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Interesting... you're right, maybe it was Big Pussy come back to life? I'm just excited that I get to write "Big Pussy" in a chat and not get fired.

Robert (Kilmichael, MS.): Bill, who do you want the Celtics to take with the 5th pick?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Corey Brewer.

Citizen (World): Arenas anouncing he will opt out is an obvious shout out to the Lakers. If the Lakers were to trade Kobe and Vlad's contract to Chicago for Deng, Thomas, the #9 and expiring contracts/PJ Brown 1 year sign and trade, LA would be significantly under the cap in the summer of 2008. They could then sign Arenas to a max deal and roll out a lineup of Bynum, Odom, Deng, Arenas and Mike Conley/Acie Law. Thomas, Farmar, and next year's lottory pick come off the bench. They would be in perfect shape to contend as the Spurs and Nash will both be on the decline. Why wouldn't both LA and Chicago pull the trigger on something like this?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: See, now THAT was the biggest story of the weekend. For teams with expiring contracts that have a real chance to get under the cap next summer, Gilbert now becomes the big fish - he's still in his mid-20's, he's a franchise guy, you can sell tickets with him, etc. etc. I feel like that one announcement totally changed the off-season. Before Arenas, there were no potential superstars available in 2008. Now there are. So that changes the thinking of teams like the Celtics, the Hawks, the Bobcats, the Bucks and some other young teams that were thinking about absorbing a big contract this summer. Imagine Arenas with Pierce, jefferson and Corey Brewer? Yee hah!

Beth (San Jose, CA): So I was looking through some of your old "Ramblings" columns the other night and I ran across this little tidbit from July 19, 2003: "I wish I could buy stock in things like 'Roger Clemens will make an ill-fated comeback at age 44.'" I know he looked good the other night, but I still have reason to believe (hope?) this could have been one of your greatest predictions ever. What do you think the over/under is for implosion date?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That wasn't a hard one to predict - the guy would cross a busy highway to pick up 50 bucks.

Graham (CO): If you are the Celtics GM, what is a possible trade offer you would make the Sonics that they would have to seriously consider for the #2? With Durant having "dissapointed" in a workout, might as well throw something out there.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: The Sonics aren't trading No. 2. They just hired the best GM candidate that was out there - Sam Presti. He won't screw that pick up. The people of Las Vegas will enjoy watching Durant for years to come.

Steve (Raleigh, NC): Have you been able to talk ESPN into changing Eye of the Sports Guy to the BS report?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Yes, starting this week. Now we just need to find a guest.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: We also incorporated Ronald Jenkees's music (and some of his sound bites) into the new intro. I don't think I've ever been more excited about anything so dumb. It's fantastic. I listened to it 760 times this weekend.

Derek (Chicago, IL): Two questions on the Spurs: Is Duncan the greatest power forward ever? I think that Malone and Barkley were both better (despite no ring). I also think Garnett is more talented (despite no ring). Also, I think this Spurs team would get smoked by virtually every championship in my lifetime (25 years) and think they are playing undoubtedly the worst team in the history of the finals (Cavs) Agreed?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Duncan is the greatest pure power forward ever, hands down, nobody comes close. It's not an argument.

Red Sox Nation (Boston, MA): Why does Julio Lugo continue to bat lead-off?? Has Francona been taking coaching lessons from Doc Rivers?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I really like how Francona has managed this year - he's shown a ton of faith in his guys - but as the '78 Red Sox proved, you're not winning a title when your top-2 has an OBP under .300. Eventually, I see Youk leading off (ala Boggs in the mid-80's) and Lugo batting second. The real problem is that somebody talked to Lugo about all the cup-grabbing, he cut down on it, and now it's affecting his play. he needs to go back to grabbing his crotch 300 times a game. He needs it, his crotch needs it and the Red Sox need it.

Andy (San Diego): Re-read your Finals preview after Games 1 & 2. Do you feel like the genius you are? If gambling were legal, would your crystal ball have netted you a sizeable profit over the last weekend?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I will only feel like a genius if the Cavs win Game 3 because Duncan fouls out and LeBron shoots between 17 and 87 free throws.

Brian (Columbus, OH): Bill - I was in NYC over the weekend and overheard a couple TSA guys at the airport talking about the Yankees. "They're really coming on now. We have a chance." They were all giddy - it was hilarious. I can see this if they were Brewer or Reds fans.... since when does the team with the largest payroll in baseball talk about having "a chance"?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm more amazed that my Uncle Ricky e-mailed me this morning with the subject heading "9 1/2." Congrats, you swept the Pirates at home. We're all impressed.

Deric (Indianapolis, IN): As a fan of both you and Colin Cowhead I'm pleading that you settle you differences before one of you ends up getting whacked Phil Leotardo style.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Hold on, I'm fighting off 10,000 currents of electricity...

Phil Leotardo (New York): I have the worst headache this morning.....

Mark I. (Los Angeles): I have no doubt that Duncan is one of the top 20 players of all time and top 5 in the last ten years, but "Pure" power forward? Half his career has been spent defaulting back to center to cover a better player than his "centers" could handle and being the true man in the middle. Not that it's a bad thing. Here's my take: He's not only the best power forward in NBA history, he's also been the 4th best center of the last 20 years.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Here's the point: In the 70's, 80's and 90's, if you wanted to create the perfect power forward, you would have created him. In the 00's, as the game became faster and smaller, he's even more valuable because he can play center ... name me another big man who matches up well against EVERY BIG MAN IN THE LEAGUE, and if that's not enough, EVERY QUICK FORWARD IN THE LEAGUE. The only guy in his class in this respect is Kevin McHale, who could go against everyone from Bernard King to Kareem and hold his own. We will not be seeing another Tim Duncan any time soon.

Chris (Boston): Nobody comes close? Malone was a force inside, a superb defender (could even handle Shaq in his prime), a great passer for a big man, developed a great 17-footer, always shot FTs in the mid-70% range, and a was a model of physical preparation. There were 2 major shot-clock violation mis-calls in the '98 finals and we all know about MJ's push-off. We could have very easily seen Utah win a title then.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: We're not accepting any Karl Malone arguments - he was an incredibly consistent player, but someone who could never make his team better when it mattered. We have 17 years of evidence to back this up. I'm glad his stats were great, and I'm sure we'll have people pushing his case in the years and decades to come, but if you wanted to win a title from 1985 to 2000, Karl Malone would not have been one of your first ten picks.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That's why I hate stats. For instance, I love reading John Hollinger, I think he's one of the biggest assets we have on the website and I always appreciate his opinion on everything. But his scoring system to rank the best 60 Finals teams of the last 30 years was so inherently flawed... I mean, how could you not take into account the quality of teams during each season? Of course the '96 Bulls would win with that scoring system... the '96 and '97 seasons were the single two worst competitive seasons in the last 30 years. How is this not relevant to the discussion? Anyway, Malone's career was helped out by the '97 and '98 Jazzx teams making the Finals, but they made it simply because they stayed consistent while everyone else faded away - Lakers, Sonics, Blazers, Suns... suddenly there was nobody left and they won the West by default for 2 straight years. But those weren't the best 2 Jazz teams.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Here's the point: You always have to factor in "quality of the league" for any of this historical stuff. Malone's resume is "helped" by how they made the Finals for 2 straight years, but what about all the years when they didn't make it with stronger teams? All right, I'm done venting. But I want Hollinger to go back to the drawing board and come up with a better scoring system. Any system that makes the '96 Bulls better than the '92 Bulls (the single best MJ team) and doesn't make the 2001 Lakers a top-7 team of the past 30 years needs to be refined.

Brian (Worchester): WOAH WOAH WOAH! Are you saying the 1996 Bulls aren't the best team ever? I HATE the Bulls but I still have to respect their alltime greatness!

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Yes. Emphatically. I think they won the most games ever. I would not have them in the top-10. You're telling me they could have beaten the 2001 Lakers in a series? Or the '86 Celtics? Or the '85 Lakers? or the '83 Sixers? Gimme a break.

geertsy (Cedar Rapids, IA): Overall, the movie American Pie has held up decently over the years, but after watching it this past weekend, one part definitely does not. Tera Reid making anyone wait months to sleep with her. Not a chance.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That's excellent. Somebody needs to make a list of the "Top 20 Movie Plots that have now become ridiculous because of what happened to the actor involved in that plot." I nominate Cracked.com, I enjoy that site.

Adam (New York): Hey Bill, I liked the segment you played on your last podcast with calling your yankee friend and asking if he was worried yet, well can we reverse the segment and have him call you asking are you worried yet?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Ironically, JackO emailed me today asking if the segment had been cancelled. Um... no. You guys are still 9 and 1/2 back.

Mac (Tuscaloosa AL): I think that Hollinger is making the assumption (which you have to in an "objective" system) that the quality of play is constant. Otherwise, it devolves into argument about the level of play, which can't be proved, and you wind up with (as I saw on a blog this weekend, referring to the statements you made in a column) someone saying that the Celtics and Lakers of the eighties can't be among the greatest ever because Bird and Magic weren't "athletic" by today's standards -- like they were considered athletic then.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Then that's the wrong assumption. You cannot evaluate the last 60 Finals teams without coming up with some method to figure out A) quality of the league for that season, and B) quality of each conference. For instance, if the Spurs destroy the Cavs (which they should), does that make them one of the best teams ever? Hell, no! I think they're the 2nd best team of the past 10 years, but again, they shouldn't get extra credit because they happened to beat a subpar Eastern rep four teams in the Finals.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: The fix for Hollinger is easy - include a variable where he awards points for each season for strength/weakness of the league and strength/weakness of the Finals opponent. For instance, the '85 Lakers beat a really good Celtics team. Isn't that between 10-15 times more impressive than the '96 Bulls rolling through a terrible conference and beating a young Seattle team that was about 2 years away from peaking (and never did because Kemp went nuts)?

Chris (CHICAGO): Bill, what are you watching now that television has gone into rerun mode?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I am ashamed to admit that the Sports Gal roped me into this stupid CW show called "Hidden Palms." It's an OC ripoff from the guy who did Dawson's Creek. She's made me watch both under the "you made me watch the NBA for the past 2 months, throw me a bone" rule, which my attorneys encourage me to be flexible on.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Anyway, it's a good summer show - ridiculous, far-fetched, and stupid.

Dave, Seattle: Sorry, going to keep riffing on this: Paris Hilton is all of the Sopranos family combined. Dumb as AJ, priviliged as Meadow, manipulative as Carmela, and a force of nature like Tony. Make a TV show about her in 30 years, and it'll be as riveting as the Sopranos.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: All great points. I still want someone to chop her head off to see if she lives. By the way, living in LA was a solid A-Plus this weekend... the Paris Saga was like the OJ Bronco Chase all over again. And on a personal note, it was so nice to see the legendary Jake Byrd finally get his moment in the sun. The whole day was right in jake's wheelhouse. A tour de force all the way around.

Dave (Chapel Hill, NC): So just like every other woman on the planet, Meddow Soprano can't parallel park huh?

Finn (Seattle, WA): What did you think of John from Cinncinatti? Did you watch?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Made it 10 minutes. Wasn't in the mood for it, was still rehashing the Sopranos, couldn't concentrate on a new show yet. Good to have Luke Perry back in our lives though!

Barrett (Nashville): Hey Bill, I understand your point about Hollinger's rating system, but yours is flawed as well. How do you define a "really good Celtics team" objectively? Sure, it's a fair assumption that they were better than the '96 Heat or Knicks, but how do you compare on a standardized basis? You can't, because if the entire league is subpar one year, you can only statistically compare it to itself.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: You just described my problem with NBA stats in a nutshell: You cannot interprete the NBA solely through stats. It's inane. Too much depends on situations, talent levels from year to year, quality of teammates, circumstance and everything else. Stats are incredibly helpful, but at a certain point, you have to incorporate analysis, homework and opinion as well. The 2001 Lakers didn't peak until the playoffs, but they decimated a really good conference (an especially strong year for the West), crushed the Sixers in the Finals and trotted out a team with an unstoppable center at his absolute peak, as well as Kobe during a point in his career where he may have been his most valuable because he was still OK with being Robin to Shaq's Batman (and was still awesome by himself, as witnessed by the way he destroyed the Kings with the 48-point game in the playoffs).

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Anyway, any scoring system that A) overvalues the '986 Bulls, and B) undervalues the 2001 Lakers needs to be tinkered with... that was my only point. I am confident that Hollinger will figure this out.

Messiah (NY): I don't understand one thing about your Malone argument. You said that he made it to the finals by default because the rest of the teams had finally declined, but you say the Bulls played in a horrible year for basketball in 96. How can both of those be true?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: '96 thru '99 was the weakest stretch in the history of the league. the Jazz were heavily favored to come out of the West in '96, they choked against the Sonics.

Mark (Methuen, MA): Curious if you caught the ESPN movie Ruffian? I missed, but was somewhat intrigued.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Actually, I did. Very enjoyable for the first 2/3rds... until you remember that Ruffian breaks her leg anjd has to be destroyed. Really well done movie and I'm not sure why it was made. It's like somebody said, "Let's make a really depressing version of Seabiscuit!"

Boose (Louisville, KY): Bill, you are boring everyone with your discussion of a ten year old 2nd place team. Talk about important stuff like Real World Reunited

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Glad you brought this up. Um... I kinda wish they hadn't been reunited. It's like a 2-week train wreck. And I'm terrified that Stephen and Frank are about to fall in love. Terrified.

M.S.A. (Houston): Hey Bill, what's your favorite episode of Sopranos? Mine has to be the one where Chris and Paulie are stuck in the snow and are trying to kill the Russian and some how they end up spending the night in an abandoned van, dining on ketchup packets and blaming each other. Best episode ever.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: My favorite - the fifth one in Season One when he took Meadow college-hunting. That was the episode when the potential of the show was realized. And it still holds up. I thought that was an astounding hour of TV.

Casey (Minneapolis): To promote the upcoming Wolves season the team is sending a statewide caravan of Ricky Davis and Mark Madsen to generate interest. This should be the next Road Rules. If Ricky brings his entourage...it could resemble Dave Chappelle's skit on the Real World.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Is this true? I hope to God this is true.

kip (junction city, kansas): You think ultimate fighting will ever be accepted as major sport? I think it's way better than any other sport right now.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: We won't know the answer to this question until something terrible happens during one of these fights. They've been incredibly lucky so far.

J miller, west chester, pa: Within the next week, Big Shot Brob's career numbers will look like this: 25 mpg, 7.2 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 7 rings. Will this get him into the Hall of Fame when you consider that almost all of the 50s-60s Celtics are in?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: if KC Jones is in there, Horry has to be in there. Has to.

David Bettman (Toronto): Sopranos, Real World...Yet no talk about hockey?!?! Doesn't anyone out there care at all?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'll tell ya, it was nuts here in LA last week when the Ducks won the Cup... oh, wait, it was nuts because of the Paris Hilton thing. Sorry. I got mixed up.

Mitchell (Sunny Isles, FL): Why does Billy Donovan seemingly get a free pass and praise from the media for following his heart, and Nick Saban got crucified for doing the exact same thing?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I don't think that's true at all. Donovan got skewered for what happened. It's just that the Saban thing was worse because he gave the Dolphins fan some hope after 2005, had them headed in the right direction, then he screwed up the Brees/Daunte decision and obviously decided, "Screw this, I'm out of here!" and bailed.

John, Chicago: Bill, Do you see any post-up players that the Bulls can pick up in a trade this offseason without giving away the house? I don't think we need a #1 go to guy, but someone who can put 15-17 ppg? (Excluding Zach Randolph, who'll end up in a brawl with Skiles about three practices in...)

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I still think KG is headed there.

Vernon (Indianapolis): Sorry to keep harping on this issue, but you're way off on the '96 Bulls. Rodman was still very good (a hall-of-famer if he wasn't nuts), Ron Harper was solid, Kukoc was making the mold for Eastern Europeans everywhere and they still had the dynamic duo. And if you think p-o'ed Jordan in 1996 loses to anyone ever you haven't watched an NBA game in your life.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Congrats, but who's guarding Shaq on that team? Who's guarding McHale? Who's guarding Kareem? Shawn Kemp destroyed them in the Finals, what do you think those guys would have done?

Andy (Boston): This weekend I jumped out a moving car so I could get a fanueil hall sausage, I feel like you need to know these things

Jon, San Antonio: When the Spurs win the Championship, Do you think that Mike Brown should get the Finals MVP trophy, for his amazing coaching?

Murph CT: Soprano's is nothing compared to THE WIRE!

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm with you. Depending on how Season 5 wraps up, it has a chance to be the greater show. The last episode of Season 4 was better than any season finale the Sopranos had, that's for sure.

Greg (Portland): Zach Randolph (a 23/10 guy) for the #5 and Ratliff. Why wouldn't Ainge get Pearce some immediate help and make a push in the wide open Leastern Conference? By the time Brewer or Yi pan out, Pearce will be eating pudding, the conference will be much better and Ainge won't have a job.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I don't think it makes sense for the Celts to include the No. 5 pick AND Ratliff in the same deal because those are 2 assets they're giving away for 1 asset back. They should be using the No. 5 pick on a player (cheap labor, cap friendly) and trying to move Ratliff's deal with other picks and/or Gerald Green and/or whatever else to get one more high-salaried veteran. I just wish I knew who that veteran was.

Meadow (Exit 13): Mr Simmons - thanks for the hour and a half chat - I finally got my car parked.......

Joe - Charlotte, NC: Is there any reason that you can think of why the Cavs have not put Tony Parker into the floor everytime he drives the lane? Seriously, can't Gooden, Varejeo, and Scott Pollard use a few fouls here?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That's a great question. The 2004 Lakers cracked him once and he was never the same. I thought the Suns should have belted him as well. Unfortunately, the NBA has turned into women's lacrosse and these things can't happen anymore.

Dan: (Houston): Another great moment in the Soprano's finale: Agent Harris channeling Robin Williams' chest hair in the schene with his goomah.

c-webb, ga: "Simmons, you write for ESPN, which is, Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, not Everything Soap-Opera and Pansies Network." (Note: The above dialogue is similar as a mom to a little boy when being caught wearing his sister?s dress.) You creampuff stick to the sports and leave the soaps to the View or something.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: So sorry you're being forced to read this chat with the gun to your head...

Kevin (Jersey City): I have gotten fed up with NBA people using the term "3 point shooter" for complte bums like donyell marshall. all he does is chuck up 3's out of necessity because he is too slow to beat anyone off the dribble, can't even dribble, is a HUGE defensive liability, can't rebound, but still really isn't that good at shooting 3's in the first place. you can lump in damon jones witht hat group (he did hit 2 meaningless 3's when the spurs defense was just letting cleveland have shooting practice). that being said, mike brown's best lineup is lebron, side show bob, and three "3 point shooters." and as if this hasnt been said before- worst finals team ever

Matt (Detroit): Is Flip Saunders the worst PLAYOFF coach in NBA history or am I not over my 2-3 year post-playoff failure depression yet?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Yeah, Flip's gotten a pass because of Mike Brown... he completely botched that Cavs series in Games 5 and 6. Makes me wonder what would have happened had the 2004 T-Wolves had a better coach.

Eric (New York City): Bill, did you read about that guy who broke the Japanese guy's record for hot dog eating. Will you be tuning in to ESPN2 to watch USA vs. Japan in hot dog eating?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Heard about this! We really need to get behind this guy... it's like the '80 Olympic Hockey team all over again.

BK, Boston: Why isn't Rick Carlisle coming to Boston to coach????

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Because we would have made the playoffs last year if not for all the injuries... we believe in Doc and we think he's the guy who can get us to the next level.

Matt (St Petersburg, FL): Are you preparing for your fantasy football draft? And who would you take first?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: It's a little early, no? I don't know. I do have my first 2 opinions though: Love Wes Welker on the Pats, love McGahee on the Ravens.

Kevin, Boston: I know you don't believe that BS you jsut spewed about Doc and the next level? The only next level he'll bring us to is the one for most cliche'd excuses for a losing team with a bad coach.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Doc is our guy. We're committed to him. We think he's one of the best coaches in the league.

Brad Nathan (Washington DC): Fantasy football talk is never too early. Would you go with Maroney or Addai?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm scared of Maroney this year... worried about his shoulder. He's the one X-factor for the 19-0 season.

Jonathan (Mansfield, Tx): No Amanda Beard talk???

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Overrated.

Mike, Pittsburgh: Bill, I'm tired of the "poo-poo"ing of championships. Everyone was disappointed in the World Series matchup, upset with Florida being in the BCS Championship, dreaded the seemingly inevitable possibility of a Pistons/Spurs NBA Final, was horrified with the Stanley Cup participants, and is now crushing this NBA Finals. Now, I'll give you that some of the matchups could be more exciting. But, as sports fans, what the hell? It's the freaking championship! Unless your team got horribly burned in the playoffs, and you need to heal, you enjoy watching the two teams that endured their way to the championship. Isn't that what makes sports better than Hollywood? I mean, if the Yankees, Suns, Red Wings, etc, are supposed to be in the Finals, let them earn their way in. This idea of, "I'm not watching because those teams aren't fun to watch," just goes to show that sports fans are just turning into logo fans.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Decent point. The problem is that the Spurs-Suns was really the Finals, it just happened 2 rounds too early.

Mike (Venice, CA): So what is the best tv show ending of all time? I'm going with Cheers. Nothing better than Sam telling that guy, "Sorry, the bar is closed." M.A.S.H. probably comes in second.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I was waiting for this question! Cheers was really good, but Larry Sanders - hands down - had the greatest ending ever. It will never be topped. I will argue this to the death.

Ben W: "Carlo" is the guy from Phils crew who brought Tony to Phil's house after curbing the other guy in Phil's crew. He's the one who brought up Phil's brother being killed at one of the NY/NJ sit-downs, and he's the one who met Tony at the golf course restaurant and declined to take control of the NY family, instead letting Phil and the older fat guy to fight for the top spot.

Mike (New York, NY): How did Ruben Patterson recently fail to register as a sexual offender. Shouldnt he have someone in his entourage have as his main responsibility make sure Ruben's got all sexual offense papers in order, like the assistant coach who's in charge of counting the men on the field?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That guy was fired.

terp4life (Boston, MA): BSG, you need to recant that repeated statement about Doc, before all 6 Celtics fans left gouge their eyes out so they don't have to read that company tagline again.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I don't know what you're talking about. Look, Doc is a great coach. We extended him because he did such a great job keeping this team playing hard last season when they could have just given up and kept losing games. He deserves a chance to show what he can do with a good team. He's only had seven full seasons of coaching at the NBA level, anyone who thinks that's enough of a litmus test is crazy.

AB (CT): Ben's wrong above...Carlo is the guy Tony pegged to replace Vito..he's seen in the final episode at Baccala's funeral, being told by his son about there being pork while everyone is attacking the buffet

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Noted.

anthony (arlington, VA): It is trendy to say the Spurs are boring to watch, but it isnt true. I think we can all blame the Shaq-Kobe Lakers for this theory. Before the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, the characters were entertaining off the court (MJ, Barkley, the Dream, Malone, Magic, Bird, McHale, etc), but it never overshadowed the play on the court. The soap opera that is the Shaq-Kobe Lakers completely overshadowed the play to the point where we measure the games entertainment value based on the off the court subplots. Do you agree?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Yeah, everyone needs to stop blaming the 2007 Spurs - it's an entertaining team that didn't have the right foil this season, and even when they did, the Diaw/Stoudemire suspensions tainted that series. Plus, it's not their fault that Dallas completely imploded.

Chris (San Diego, CA): Watching that all-day NBA Finals marathon on Classic over the weekend really showed how lame the league has become. Those '88 and '92 games were brutal, with every superstar taking and giving hard fouls. It really makes you miss the NBA, and the saddest part is that I'm saying that and I'm only 23 years old.

Chris, Wakefield MA: agree with Cheers being the best finale....Sam fixing the picture at the end representing Coach....still get chills....

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Yeah, it got a little dusty when that happened. Really nice touch. Cheers has suddenly become a severely underrated show... everyone 25 and under thinks Seinfeld was the best sitcom ever and there's a legit debate between Cheers and Seinfeld. I even tackled this in a 2002 mailbag. http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020221.html

matt (omaha): You got it all wrong. Best series finale ever is "Boy Meets World". You never thought he was going to end up with Topanga, but he did.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: And gave hope to fat women everywhere! You're right, that may have been top-3.

jd, malden: How would you have ended the sopranos if you had to do the final show? It would've been too cliche if Tony was killed. I'm glad he did it the way he did.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: My old intern Jamie had the best idea, he watched it with us last night: Jamie thought they should have had a Pulp Fiction ending where the hitman unloaded his gun at Tony, but all the bullets missed, ricocheted off the table and the jukebox and somehow hit AJ.

Mike (Boston): Speaks of series finales, which NBA finals series do you think had the best finale?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: 1998 Finals. Can never be topped. I actually watched the last quarter on Sunday morning again, although they really need to re-do the audio and have Marv do the play by play. But geez, how will that ending ever be topped?

Danny Ainge (Boston): "Everyone, I would like to introduce you to the new Assistant Director of Player Personnel, Mr. William Simmons, or as he is known to many of you in Bristol, The Sports Guy, aka, Bill. Bill, is a Holy Cross Grad who blogs all day, editor of the Ewing Theory, and has a wife who writes columns about the Bachelor. Welcome to the CEltic family, William." (the reason Bill is praising Doc)

SportsNation Bill Simmons: "Thank you, Danny... it's great to be here, I'm excited to learn from one of the best and work with Doc on a daily basis. Watching these guys and the owner spin their BS for the last 3 months, I have to admit, it took me awhile, but they finally roped me in. We're gonna turn this ship around. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to pick up Yi at the airport."

Heath (NY): No one has mentioned the one thing that bothered me most about Sopranos last night. The loser AJ destroys his SUV, and winds up with a brand new BMW M3. How does he wind up with that car? Tony should have at LEAST punished him by giving him a 1989 Hyundai or something, as a penalty for burning down the SUV and for being an all-around bum.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: See, I loved that - AJ sold out his "principles" as soon as they offered him a movie job and a car. I'm gonna miss him. That reminds me, was there a bigger TV upset of this decade than Robert Iler turning into a competent actor and a pivotal member of the final season? This was like watching Craig Ehlo suddenly playing 2-guard on a potential Finals team.

Ken (Tarzana, CA): You ever notice that guys like Peter King and Chris Mortenson ALWAYS say "good fit" for players that go to the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, and Pats? I would like that phrase stricken from the NFL lexicon.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That question was a good fit for this chat.

Gaston, Bossier, LA: Bill, where did the Paris Hilton saga on Friday rank on the OJ-Media ridiculousness scale? Did you see the part when they were announcing Paris' incarceration when some guy off-camera yelled "Noooooooooooooooooo!" at the top of his lungs. Somewhere, that guy is a god amongst his friends

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That was the great Jake Byrd! Google him.

Antoine (Tyson's Corner, VA): Agree on the Larry Sanders finale as the best ever - that last scene with Larry, Artie, and Hank told you as much about the characters as every episode that preceded it. By the way, between Larry Sanders and Arrested Development, is the surest way to make a classic sitcom to hire Jeffrey Tambor?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Exactly, that's why I loved it. It was perfect. Please buy the new DVD (best 23 episodes) if none of this makes sense to you. Just do it. I've never steered you wrong. Just know that A.) it gets better as the series goes along, than peaks in the final 2 seasons, and B) they didn't include the Roast episode, which was top-5, as well as the episode when Colin Quinn plays Artie's son (top ten).

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Crap, had to edit this: Go to Amazon.com and search for "Larry Sanders"

Larry Sanders, LA: Bill, here's your envelope filled with cash for plugging my dvd. Thanks

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Larry, it was the last I could do - your show brought me more joy than any show ever except maybe Seinfeld.

Bill Walton, San Diego, CA: My 77 Blazer team ranked #26th?!! Oh the HUMANITY of it all. Quite possibly the WORST miscarriage of justice in this, the GREATEST sports league in the HISTORY of these United States, and maybe the ENTIRE history of modern civilization!

The Ropers: We disagree that the surest way to make a classic sitcom is to hire Jeffrey Tambor. Signed, The Ropers

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Come on, the Ropers was a classic show! That and "It's Your Move" were the greatest lost sitcoms from 1979 to 1984.

Rick (Chicago): Is there anything more awkward/hilarious/life altering than watching Mike Browns face when he realizes yet again that Popovich is 12 steps ahead of him? The only thing that can come close is Emilio Estevez screaming until the glass breaks in "The Breakfast Club"

Greg (L.A.): No one has mentioned that Tony came into the diner wearing a black leather jacket with a button-down shirt on. He pictures himself in the diner. If you notice Tony in the booth in the diner is wearing a different shirt. So I think it's him picturing himself with his family and what it will be like for the rest of his life. Thoughts on this?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I did notice that the shirts seemed different... wasn't sure if it was just me though.

Ron Jeremy (Hollywood, CA): Why is everyone from Orlando calling me to congratulate me on being coach? How did they get my number?

Seth (Cleveland, OH): Will you be taking any baseball questions today? (Other then about the Red Sox?)

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Fire away! I'm ready.

Paul (dublin): Does the Julio Lugo era make you feel any differently about the Theo Epstein era in Boston? Is there anything more inexplicable than Epstein's ability to strike gold with minor signings AND screw up every major singing over the last few years?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Since 2004, Theo has made some good moves and some bad moves... considering he's operating a team with a top-3 payroll, I don't see how he can be ranked higher than a B-minus. The best move he made other than Big Papi and the Nomar trade was probably NOT panic-trading Papelbon in 2005. other than that, very up and down. The one good thing about this year's team is that they have the best team chemistry they've ever had, even better than 2004. The team reaction after Romero got out of "bases loaded no outs" in Oakland was my favorite moment of the season so far.

Jeremy (NYC): Has Dice-K lived up to your expectations?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Not totally. I knew he might struggle a little just from the extra media attention and adjusting to the US, but I've been a little surprised who quickly he self-destructs in innings. You could take a leak with one out and a guy on first in a 0-0 game, come back a minute later and three guys have scored. That part worries me.

Matt (Medford, MA): All laughing and pointing aside, does the prospect of "2007 AL Wild Card: The New York Yankees" scare you in a playoff situation? The Yanks appear to be the only team right now that can smack around Beckett and Schilling, and have had at least 1 comeback against the Okajima/Pap combo.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm worried about the double whammy of Hughes and Clemens. I watched the game when Hughes got hurt, he had a no-hitter going and looked dominant. he's a huge X-factor down the stretch.

Joe (NYC): Sadder commentary on the current state of our culture; the ridiculous media coverage of Paris Hilton over the last week, or ex-Real World cast member Alton only being able to spare 15 minutes for wildly popular internet sports columnist Bill Simmons, due to heavy demands on his time. I was troubled by this. BTW, Mike Francesa is a must guest for the podcast. He's back on two shifts, and 932 Diet Cokes a day. We need to make sure he's okay.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: thanks for the "wildly popular' even though it's not true. I posted this for 2 reasons - first, the Alton podcast will always be my favorite because it exceeded all expectations, he approached it like he was a major celeb and even bought cigs during it. I just loved it. I was so happy, I didn't know what to do with myself. Second, I'd love to have Mike Francesa on and will even send him a case od Diet Coke if he agrees. But he's so freaking busy, who knows.

Pete, Hopkinton, MA: Have you seen Ocean's 13 yet? I thought the addition of Pacino was an outstanding choice and thought this one might even be better than 11. Your thoughts?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Seeing it this week, looking forward to it.

Jesse (Roanoke, VA): Any chance Sir Charles would come and be your guest on the Pod? Would he still remember you from the "Inside the NBA" review column?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Charles is on the short wish list of guests, along with David Stern, isiah Thomas and Sean Stewart.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm still deliberating... Nicholson's performance gets worse and worse each time, it's such a monkey wrench, kills the movie on re-viewings.

Drew (minneapolis, mn): Bill, last week you talked about how Parker was described by the announcers as "the best finishing PG in a couple decades" and noted how ridiculous this comment was. But have you watched the guy? He does look better than Isiah Thomas, the guy makes everything around the hoop its incredible to watch.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: If you switch mid-80's Isiah for Parker in this series, he would be scoring between 30-40 points a game with 12-14 dimes. Everyone forgets this now, but Isiah had the same scoring arsenal as Parker and gave you defense, passing, toughness and leadership. He sacrificed his offense for the team. It's no contest.

Bob at the office: How long are you going to chat for? Just so I know when to leave work.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Wrapping up shortly...

Vann: (Columbia, SC):: My wife suggested that Daniel Gibson should be playing more than Larry Hughes. Should she be coaching the Cavs?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: it's not a bad idea.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: By the way, the Nicholson answer was to a question someone asked about "When was I going to review The Departed" that apparently didn't get posted. Sorry about that.

Brandon (Youngstown, Oh): Just reading on ESPN.com about Jemaine Taylor possibly agreeing to fight Kelly Pavlik. What are your thoughts on this potential matchup?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'd like to see Taylor fight one entertaining fight before the end of his career. This would be it.

Andrew (Miami, FL): Hey Bill, what past/present TV show would be wayyy better had it gotten the HBO treatment? My vote is for LOST. I get goosebumps just thinking about actually seeing some island breasts. What are your thoughts?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Like that question. I've always thought "Skin" would have been the best one. Remember that show, the one where Ron Silver played the porn czar and screamed "HIS FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!" NYPD Blue was great and would have been better on HBO.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Hmmmm...

SportsNation Bill Simmons: You know what? Cagney and Lacey would have been good. They could have just gone at it and gotten it over with.

Mike (Hartford): Who guards Shaq? Who guards Kareem? Who guards McHale? For crying out loud, who guards Jordan! I think you are grossly underestimaing the ability of a hungry Jordan (which is pretty much the only Jordan there is). I think Jordan was too mentally strong and the supporting cast was too competent to ever be defeated by anyone. Too much fire, too much willpower, too much Jordan that year.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Hey, I loved MJ, thought he was the best basketball player ever. But his career was unbelievably fortunate - he never faced Hakeem in his prime, or Shaq, or Duncan, or Moses... that team was constructed in a way that any big man and true point guard gave them trouble, but they never faced both at the same time.

Sterling (West Virginia): Bill, who's coming on tommorrow?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Not sure yet. We might have to get Karl Malone.

Tom (Boston): The Man Show should have been on HBO. I found myself saying that at least 20 times during every episode. Not saying it was a great show, just that it should have been on HBO.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I also think there should have been an SNL-type show on HBO that could go 10 times further.

Todd (Tucson): If the 2001 Lakers played the 1996 Bulls, would Ron Harper guard himself?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That would be fantastic.

Aaron (Austin): "that team was constructed in a way that any big man and true point guard gave them trouble, but they never faced both at the same time." What about the 97-98 Jazz? The Bulls beat that team 2 years straight, and on the downside of their career.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Exactly. You just proved my point. Switch Duncan for Malone and the Jazz win one of those 2 titles.

jon (vegas): so who is screening these questions? i am 0-4 today and feeling alot like JD Drew!!

SportsNation Bill Simmons: JD, I'm excited that it took the scenario of you playing 3 interleague games against your little brother to get you properly motivated for the 2007 baseball season when you're making $14 million a year. Seriously, it's great to have you aboard.

Cory-AZ: yea, the 1991 Lakers didn't have a great point guard in Magic, and a good enough center in a young Divac + Sam Perkins Combo...Also, Ewing and Starks werent good. I think Ewing is underrated reason being Jordan always destroyed him in his prime

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Not a good example - the Lakers got killed by injuries in that series.

Daryl - Brooklyn, NY: Switch Malone with Duncan? Bill, are you smoking the crack pipe with Pookie from New Jack City? Nobody could stop Jordan in his prime. NOBODY!

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Please, like Duncan would have gotten stripped like that on the biggest play in Game 6.

Chad (Winona, MN): "I also think there should have been an SNL-type show on HBO that could go 10 times further." Mr SHOW?????

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Liked it, enjoyed parts of it, but it was a little "too cool for school" for me. Same reason why I never fell in love with Arrested Development.

Tim (Scottsdale, AZ): It was a sad spectacle this weekend, seeing all the bandwagon Sox fans at the Diamondbacks game in their brand new hats and jerseys with the tags still on them. What are your thoughts on being the trendy team now?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Part of me hates it, but still, I think it was a little inevitable. I covered this in the prologue in my book, the '67 Red Sox team was the bandwagon team, that was the one that won over all the people from that generation. Eventually, all of those people had kids, and those kids were raised to be Red Sox fans. Those are the people showing up for games all over the place now. There's a little bandwagonitis, but not as much as you think. Red Sox fans are like termites, we multiply when you're not looking.

David (Milwaukee): Any thoughts on the Brewers this year? You've been to this city and we are ready for a playoff appearance. I think downtown may be unbelieveable come fall if the Crew is making their first playoff appearance in 25 years. Plus, Prince Fielder has to be the front-runner for NL MVP at this point.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: They're not roping me in until Bernie Brewer starts jumping into the beer mug again.

Brendan (Middletown, CT): Is there anyway we could combine Doc Rivers and Mike Brown, creating Coach Doc Brown, hop in a DeLorean, gun it to 88 and see how many teams he would be able to screw up throughout history?

Adam (chandler, az): Was watching the replay of game 4 87 finals (magic's skyhook), and heard this stat....the Lakers had won in the garden in 85, and since that point the C's were a ridiculous 94-3! I'm pretty sure either of those 2 teams would've handled the '96 Bulls

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Me, too.

Denis (Washington, DC): The NFL should be on HBO. Live mics on the field hearing all the trash talk, not to mention a broadcast booth where expletives are welcome.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Come on, they're bringing back Hard Knocks with Herm Edwards this summer! That counts for something.

Tommy Heinsohn: Brendan gets a TOMMY point for that theory!!

joe (philly): Bill, you nailed the ending of the Sopranos...it only took you 6 viewings...anyways i'm glad you saw it the way i did...too many people just wanted a bloodbath, and that's not what the show is about...it's funny people watched 6 seasons of the show and didn't realize it was over their head until the finale?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: That doesn't excuse the fact that, on the first viewing, everyone thought their cable went out. There had to be a better way to execute that.

Dan (Washington DC): I'm waiting for my screen to go black, wondering if the internet went down or the chat is over.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (Roll closing credits in silence.)

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:19 pm 
Got Some

Mr. Tubbs, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Many thanks to you kind sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:33 pm 
Mike's Maniac

i'm telling on you

Post subject: Re: Anyone an ESPN insider?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:39 pm 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

I'm about to leave for work and saw that BS had a surprise chat. Here's what he got so far.

Bill Simmons: (3:31 PM ET ) Sorry for the late notice, there's so much going on today that i couldn't resist chatting for a few minutes... or a few hundred minutes...

Justin (Wheaton): Does anyone really expect you to talk about Wimbledon? Do you really expect yourself to talk about Wimbledon?

Bill Simmons: (3:32 PM ET ) If sports gambling was legal, I'd like Andy Roddick as a sleeper at 11-to-1.

(And... we're done with Wimbledon.)

Bill Simmons: (3:32 PM ET ) If sports gambling was legal, I'd like Andy Roddick as a sleeper at 11-to-1.

(And... we're done with Wimbledon.)

Rob (Baltimore): Glad to see you are still alive after hearing the Celtics considered giving up Jefferson and the #5 for Jermaine O'neil.

Bill Simmons: (3:35 PM ET ) I'm barely alive. The sad thing was - I had planned on writing a mailbag yesterday for today, but the KG rumors started and I was so distracted that i couldn't get anything done. I'm living in perpetual fear that the Celtics are going to do something even dumber than the Baker trade 5 years ago. It's terrible. I can't handle it. There's nothing worse than being helpless as your favorite team might do something that could kill the franchise for the next 6 years.

Majeed: BS, I hear it might be Green, 5th pick, Ratliff, Perkins, and Bassy to get JO. WOuld you do that?

Bill Simmons: (3:36 PM ET ) Yes, I would do this. It's a logical trade and we'd become a contender in the East with the Pierce-Jefferson-JO trio. In fact, it's so logical, it probably won't happen.

Brian (Danbury, CT): Seriously...there's no way the C's can give up Jefferson. Not even for KG, let alone O'Neal.

Bill Simmons: (3:37 PM ET ) I agree. There's no reason to trade him. None. Either use Ratliff and the No. 5 (and either some other stuff) to get a 3rd big gun, or trade Pierce and go in the other direction. My head hurts. I'm so bummed out by this. I don't trust the people running this team at all - every NBA connection I have has been telling me that the Celtics have been in full-scale panic mode since 8:00AM on May 23rd. They're an easy mark. Everyone knows they need to make a trade.

rob, nc: Any comment on the Benoit situation, is this the end of pro wrestling, it seems like it would be hard to watch again after this.

Bill Simmons: (3:41 PM ET ) I am still gathering my thoughts, waiting for all the facts to come out. It just doesn't seem like any non-wrestling fan realizes how huge this story is to everyone who actually follows wrestling - in my opinion, it's the biggest sports story of the year even though wrestling technically isn't a sport. Benoit was one of the 12-15 greatest wrestlers of the past 30 years. For the wrestling world, it's like the OJ thing all over again - only its worse because his little son was involved. It might be the single worst sports story since the Rae Carruth thing.

Bill Simmons: (3:43 PM ET ) The weird part was the WWE inexplicably running the 3-hour Benoit tribute on Raw last night - by the time it re-aired on the West Coast, reports were starting to come out that it was possibly a double murder-suicide... I don't know how they let that show continue to run. One of the weirdest TV moments ever. I was really creeped out.

Carl (Lansing, MI): How come people condem wresting becuase of this but not the football because of Rae Carruth? Is it becuase people are looking for a reason to bash it? I never really liked it a ton after college, but I never understood why people have so much HATE for it.

Bill Simmons: (3:45 PM ET ) Well, the bigger issue here is that pro wrestling has suffered an abnormal number of early deaths - actually, abnormal might not even be the right word. it's almost an epidemic. There have probably been more wrestlers die before the age of 45 in the past 15 years than every sport combined. And you knew the tipping point was coming, eventually, and now it's here. I don't know if wrestling will survive this one.

Adam (NY): So what does WWE do from here? With the macmahon death awkwardness floating over their heads I think they're going to lose a huge portion of their audience. They have to, right?

Bill Simmons: (3:48 PM ET ) Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I think this could be it - it's going to be the dominant story of the next 2 weeks and everyone is going to bring up the death stats and all the crazy incidents that have happened, I don't think the average person realizes what a damaging sport this has been (physically and psychologically) to the people who do it. Again, I think we've reached the tipping point. Sorry to be so somber, but the Benoit thing... i mean, it's hard to explain how big he was in wrestling circles.

Bill Simmons: (3:49 PM ET ) All right, let's switch gears...

Shannon (Martinsburg WV): Did you watch the Hatton v. Castillo fight or the UFC action on SPIKE TV Saturday night?

Bill Simmons: (3:50 PM ET ) I watched Hatton-Castillo, which was over at the 10-second mark when it became clear that Castillo was shot as a fighter (Manny Stewart even said so).

Bill Simmons: (3:52 PM ET ) Two funny things though: First, they finally swapped Merchant for Kellerman, and you could tell Lampley was pissed about it because every joke by Max was greeted with deafening silence, it was fantastic. And second, Max sold the fight hard beforehand and kept predicting it could be an all-time classic... and then Castillo came out and he was just cooked. Poor Max hasn't looked that mortified since the first ratings period for "I Max" came out.

Matt (NY): What everyone really wants to know is if Bill Simmons is going to be playing in the WSOP Main Event? Also, how would you feel about the Celts getting Noah at 5?

Bill Simmons: (3:54 PM ET ) Pretty sure I'm playing - I want to see if I can break my personal record of getting bounced in 2 hours. Also, I'd be fine with Noah at No. 5, he does all the little things - hustle, rebounding, shotblocking, energy - and we don't have anyone like that. Sorry, I keep using "we."

Rob (Dallas): Did you send Nick Bakay his check for you stealing his bit for your last Mag column?

Bill Simmons: (3:55 PM ET ) I'm sorry, I didn't know Bakay invented the concept of breaking down 2 players by categories. What a brilliant idea, he hasn't gotten enough credit.

Matt,MPLS : You keep saying that you wouldn't do the #5 and Al Jeff for KG because of the long term ramifications it has for your beloved C's. Dont you think having a legitimate shot next season at a title is better than another how many ever years of Ainge and Rivers with their heads up their rears? I mean, no matter what happens, the Man and the coach are idiots, so do you really expect them to contend in say three years? Why not take KG and give us Green, Jefferson and the #5 and possibly some cap relief. Come on, just give it up....

Bill Simmons: (3:56 PM ET ) How would we have a legit shot at the title? We'd have KG, Pierce, 10 young guys and Doc Rivers as the coach. What title are we going for? The Atlantic Division title?

Jon (Hoboken, NJ): Live Free or Die Hard... Prediction?

Bill Simmons: (3:58 PM ET ) I have high hopes. I love the "Die Hard" franchise, 2 and 3 were better than people realized. I can't believe they waited this long... it's not like Bruce Willis had a lot on his plate.

ricky (beverly hills, ca): Live Free will Suck Hard

James (Pedof- isle): Who is the most coveted guest for the BS Report?

Bill Simmons: (3:59 PM ET ) Hmmmmmm...

Bill Simmons: (4:02 PM ET ) After what happened this week, I'd have to say Vince McMahon. he rarely does interviews, he's in the news and he'd be a tough get.

Bill Simmons: (4:02 PM ET ) Sorry for the delay, got knocked off line

Steve (Waterbury, CT): What are your thoughts on Kobayashi bowing out due to a jaw?

Bill Simmons: (4:03 PM ET ) I was crushed! We had the American ready to beat him this year! This reminds me of the time the '86 Celtics were going to completely decimate the Lakers in the Finals, so LA took the easy way out by tanking the Houston series. Wusses.

Reggie (Cleveland): Of the projected lottery picks, who has the biggest bust potential?

Bill Simmons: (4:04 PM ET ) Good question.

Bill Simmons: (4:04 PM ET ) 1. Yi

Bill Simmons: (4:04 PM ET ) 1. Yi.
2. Yi.
3. Yi.
4. Brandan Wright
5. Yi.

PaulieP (Scottsdale): Thoughts on players not wanting to come to Boston? (KG and Marion) Do you feel offended as a fan?

Bill Simmons: (4:06 PM ET ) Not at all. Every NBA player wants to play in a big city (New York or LA), Phoenix (the weather) or Miami and Orlando (no state taxes). That's just the way the league is. It's amazing that San Diego doesn't have a team yet for this reason alone.

Tim (Atlanta): So your telling me the hawks are drafting Yi with the 3rd pick and Brandon Wright with the 11th?

Bill Simmons: (4:08 PM ET ) Come on, you're asking me to predict the Hawks?

Bill Simmons: (4:09 PM ET ) Someone on my Celts message board posted this (I'm paraphrasing): The only thing to feel good about if you're a Celtics fan is that Billy Knight and Chris Wallace are picking right in front of us.

Luke (Ithaca, NY): No, they're going to draft Yi with the 3rd pick and try to take him again with the 11th, just to make sure they got him the first time.

Chris (Yardville, NJ): Make this Benoit thing make sense to me. I've been a huge wrestling fan for the past 17 years of my life, and for the past 12 or so, a good percentage of the highlights have involved Chris Benoit. I was at Madison Square Garden when Benoit and Eddie Guerrero stood in the ring together as World champions, along with Benoit's wife and child. Now they're all dead. I loved watching Benoit wrestle, he was one of the best in the ring...now every great match he's had is irreversably tainted. I just can't make sense of this.

Bill Simmons: (4:11 PM ET ) Can't do it, Is there a website that lists all the wrestlers who've died over the past 10 years? That would be interesting.

Rich (Parsippany, NJ): I remember the 86 Celtics, best team I ever saw play and you're right, the Lakers completely mailed it in against the Rockets... I remember wondering why were the Lakers palying so badly, but I was only ten and naive and didn't realize pros mailed in games, but at least I have Lebron to show my kids that it can happen over the next 15 years.

David Stern (NY): William, you already had your favorite guest on the BS report. Now why don't you take some time off while we work on your gambling issues...and start dressing like a professional.

Austin (Louisville, KY): Starting at center for the NBDL All-Stars.... YI!!

Mike (SF): What's the best case scenario for the Celts draft?

Bill Simmons: (4:13 PM ET ) Celts take Brewer, then package Wally, Gerald Green and next year's No. 1 to Utah for Kirilenko.

Bill Simmons: (4:14 PM ET ) Imagine a team with Rondo, Kirilenko and Brewer defensively (three A-plus defenders), plus Pierce (a really good team defender) and Jefferson (the weak link, but at least he's athletic)? Now that's a team that makes sense to me.

Robert (Nashville, TN): Are you still thinking of moving out of LA? Still think ATL should be your location: maximum housing value cashing out of LA; free preschool through the GA lottery (for your daughter, not you); and, the chance to write about the NBA, MLB, NFL, and the most apathetic fan base in America. What's not to like?

Bill Simmons: (4:15 PM ET ) We're not leaving any time soon - I think it's been 80 degrees every day for 5 straight months. For my next move, I'm thinking Pacific Northwest. I need to be closer to Durant. I'm also going to try to legally adopt him this summer.

Vinnie (Cleveland, OH): Bill, there is a Web site that lists all the wrestlers who have died over the years. It actually lists all of them who have died since 1985 who were less than 65 years old. Benoit is the 38th one since '85 who has died at the age of 40 or less. http://prowrestling.about.com/ od/whatsrealwhatsfake/a/wrestlersdeaths.htm It's frightening the names I recognize on that list.

Andrew (Yardley, PA): Why no summer movie review this year? Are you scared of how bad Live Free or Die Hard could actually be?

Bill Simmons: (4:18 PM ET ) Saw Knocked Up last week - started out strong, faded down the stretch, about 15 minutes too long. Liked it though. Although I'm not sure how I feel about this new era of chick flicks that secretly disguise themselves as guy flicks for about 35 minutes, then the main character gets whipped and loses the will to live, but things work out in the end and we're supposed to be happy for him because he doesn't hang out with his friends anymore and his life is over.

kevin - denver, co: Would the Colorado Rockies win the AL East?

Bill Simmons: (4:18 PM ET ) unquestionably

Spencer , Raleigh: San Diego had the Clippers. It's too laid back for an indoor winter team. Also, The CAROLINA HURRICANES drafted #11 (not the Whalers). We own a Stanley Cup and everything here. Bitter Boston Bruin Bill.

Bill Simmons: (4:20 PM ET ) That was 25 years ago and they had a terrible owner. SD should have a team - they have a ton of money there (to buy all the boxes and courtside seats), and every NBA guy would want to play there. Seriously, what city makes more sense - San Diego... or Memphis? San Diego... or East Rutherford, NJ?

Matt (New York, NY): If you were at a gentleman's club and PacMan Jones and his crew walked in, what would you do? Round up your buddies and head out the door as soon as possible? If you were getting a dance at the time, would you even wait for the end of the song?

Bill Simmons: (4:21 PM ET ) I read an article about this - you're supposed to climb underneath the table, cross your legs, put your hands behind your head and lie facing the ground.

Todd, Traverse City, MI: What the duece!? Are you saying that Larry Merchant is better at ringside than Kellerman? Have you seen, or stayed awake, through Merchant's end of the fight "thoughts?" Even the fighters seem bored...

Bill Simmons: (4:22 PM ET ) No way, I'm a huge Kellerman fan for boxing, he's the best guy out there. Just pointing out that he had an off-night and Lampley refused to sell his jokes. It was like listening to Dennis Miller crack jokes during the last MNF season when Michaels was refusing to laugh and Fouts's brain had turned to tapioca.

Nathan, Portland, ME: Did I miss when you added Pacman to the Tyson Zone?

Bill Simmons: (4:23 PM ET ) We didn't even need to make an official announcement. Same for Michael Vick.

Mike (Dayton): I was slamming beers in Pittsburgh this weekend to make the girls hotter. Did I make the right decision?

Bill Simmons: (4:24 PM ET ) Come on, you can't diss the 'Burgh like that! Pittsburgh girls are underrated.

Christopher, Staten Island: Bill, you ever been to any big time boxing fights? If so, what was the best? I know some of them can be amazing experiences.

Bill Simmons: (4:26 PM ET ) Never had good seats for a boxing match. My greatest boxing experience was dragging my Dad to Hearns-Leonard when they showed it closed-circuit at the Boston Garden in 1981 - packed house, one of the greatest fights ever, it was unbelievable. That's one of the top-10 sporting events I ever attended and it wasn't even technically live. Also, the crowd was, um, interesting to say the least.

Brian, St. Paul: I'm a T-Wolves fan, but losing hope fast...if a deal for KG falls through, will there be anything worth cheering for during the next 4 seasons (besides watching a future hall-of-famer waste the tail-end of his career)?

Bill Simmons: (4:27 PM ET ) Wait, you had hope in the first place? You have McHale and Taylor running your team!

Evan (Sac): Isn't it obvious that Mayweather needs to fight Hatton in a black vs white showdown, i would love to see that. Especially since their styles are so different. I can't see Mayweather dancing around and acting like a little girl against him.

Bill Simmons: (4:28 PM ET ) mayweather wants no part of Hatton - he's made more than enough money and doesn't want to get hit anymore.

Joe (Boston): Bill sorry to jump the gun here, but could you please give me your thoughts on who I should keep in my football keeper league? I can keep two of: Frank Gore, Maurice Jones-Drew, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Antonio Gates. Which two? I had to ask now, because our keeper submission deadline is in two weeks.

Bill Simmons: (4:30 PM ET ) Wow, a fantasy FB question! I was just at the newsstand last weekend looking for mags, we're still about a week away. I like Gore and Jones-Drew the most on that list. I can't wait to take Wes Welker 5 rounds too early in both of my drafts, mark it down right now.

Jason (Staten Island, NY): Are you off the Alton Williams bandwagon? The guy has been a shade of his old self during "Inferno III" and he's sucking wind in the Vegas reunion show. Now...what about Derrick Kosinski? He's constantly outclassed in height and weight, but he may as well be among the top competitors in recent Challenge history. The only reason why he hasn't won a Challenge has been rotten luck. When would you be interviewing him?

Bill Simmons: (4:32 PM ET ) I think Alton needs to cut back on those Newports - the basketball game at the Palms was humiliating, although njot as humiliating as the fact that they spent the night in the Hardwood Suite throwing ice at each other. The real question: Has there been an MTV show with more product placement? it's like a 30-minute informercial for the Palms and Trishelle's new movie. I hated the Vegas Reunion show - it's off my Season Pass. And Entourage, you're on deck.

Matt D: San Diego: BS, have you watched "On the Lot?" Carrie Fisher has had so much work done, she looks like she is wearing the "Michael Myers" mask from Halloween...

Aqib (Cleveland, Ohio): So when does Danny Ainge get inducted into the pantheon of atrocious GMs. The guy caused me to abandon the Celtics and become a Cavs fan, why hasn't he gotten enough hate?

Bill Simmons: (4:34 PM ET ) Probably on Thursday.

Ryan (Miami, FL): Can we make it official that repeated failure to squeeze into a paralell parking spot is now called "pulling a Meadow". Alternatively, you can remark to your buddy: "Nice work Meadow, maybe the third time is the charm", or some variation on this.

Bill Simmons: (4:36 PM ET ) I like it. By the way, I have watched that episode about 47 times and still can't decide if Tony died or not. Check out the "Last Supper" theory by Bob Harris if you haven't seen it, really interesting.

http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/

Lopez (Chicago): Man, I've already bought 4 Fantasy Football mags from the newsstands out here, including the ESPN one. You're falling behind Simmons.

Bill Simmons: (4:38 PM ET ) I was at a Borders 6 days ago and they didn't have anything... all right, I'm hitting a newsstand today. You know what's going to be off the charts on the comedy scale? When Vick gets taken. I can't wait for that.

Adam: (New York, NY): You are exactly the guy to settle this: For the first time in my life this past weekend I was fortunate enough have "Mr. Roboto" as the background song for a lap dance. Needless to say, it was a wastershed comedic moment in my life. Watching a stripper try to put together a dance that was both alluring and contextually appropriate given the song was more entertaining than watching Eric Dickerson try to ad-lib an analysis of Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society." Anyway, the question: Is "Mr. Roboto" the funniest possible strip-club song to provoke this absolutely riveting experience?

Bill Simmons: (4:41 PM ET ) It scares me that I'm exactly the guy to settle this. I still think "We Built This City" would be funnier - that's my answer to any "funniest song in a situation" question. But I think it would be funny to see someone strip to "We didn't start the fire" by Billy Joel - that song's so fast, I don't know what could happen there. Any suggestions are welcome.

Jon (San Diego, CA): Bill, San Diego doesn't have the passion amongst the locals to support a basketball team unless they're in first place. Trust me, I'm a Jersey native, I can smell the sports apathy out here. People forget that only 2-3 years ago, Chargers games were blacked out because they couldn't sell out home games with a subpar record.

HP (OH): You should find some solice that this is the draft that you recieved a #1 pick form the Cavs for Jiri Welsch. Even though I dont think the Celts have that pick anymore you can feel good that no move they make will be as bad as that one.

Priyank, PA: How much longer for the chat? Need to know how long I have to hold it before my bladder bursts

Bill Simmons: (4:43 PM ET ) Not sure... it took me 45 minutes to snap out of serious mode after Benoit/Celtics talk. Sorry I'm not more gregarious. Finally loosening up.

Morgan (Dallas): Have you seen the Garnett to Dallas rumors? Do you think the Mavs would be better if they had to move Howard, Terry and Harris?

Bill Simmons: (4:43 PM ET ) That won the award for "dumbest rumor" - they can't get KG unless they deal Dirk.

Aaron (Cville): Did you see that the Chinese government wants Yi Jianlan to go to the Celts? If Ainge picks him, at least you can blame it on a conspiracy and not incompetence.

Bill Simmons: (4:44 PM ET ) The Chinese already ruined the sixth season of "24" - now they're gonna ruin the Celtics?

Mike (NYC): I think "TNT" by AC/DC would be in the top 5, that is about the most awkward song I've seen someone strip/dance to.

Ron (Phoenix): Why is it that you always diss McHale (deservedly so) for his GM skills but I never hear you say a word about the incredibly mediocre job the "Basketball Jesus" has done with the Pacers?

Bill Simmons: (4:45 PM ET ) How dare you.

Brian (Atlanta, GA): You overwhelmed Bob Harris' site. Congratulations.

Bill Simmons: (4:46 PM ET ) I feel terrible. I wonder if Bob was listening to "Don't Stop Believin'" when it happened.

Jimmy M (Holliston, MA): Chad Ford's new Mock Draft has Jared Dudley going at #28 for the Spurs. Is there a more perfect selection for the back-end of this year's draft? He was born to be a Spur. I've been spent the last few weeks rooting for the Celts to take Dudley with their second round pick, but now I feel it wouldn't be fair for his career to be destroyed by Boston, he should just get to go win the next 3 or 4 titles in San Antonio.

http://www.myspace.com/thekeysers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:52 pm 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

cont...

Bill Simmons: (4:47 PM ET ) I agree. Dudley is one of THE sleepers this year. He's going to go about 10-15 picks later than he should, he'll help a goods team, and everyone will feel dumb for passing on him for guys like Fazekas and McRoberts. This makes me mad.

Kevin O'Conner (Salt Lake City): Wally, Theo, and #5 for Kirilenko?

Bill Simmons: (4:48 PM ET ) Can't do it. AK47 has $63 million due over the next 4 years.

Mason: (SC): You should bring Cowherd on the BS report so he can show you how to do interesting radio.

Bill Simmons: (4:50 PM ET ) Does "interesting" mean "skim somebody's column over a 2-minute break, then pick it apart on live radio with no facts to back it up?"

Eric D: How do you feel about Sean Williams being projected to go in the first round? He had his problems (being kicked off the team for drug use) at BC, but this guy is an absolute beast defensively.

Bill Simmons: (4:51 PM ET ) He's the big sleeper of the first round... I think he'll go 14 to 17, and there's 100% chance he'll own a Whizzanator at some point in his career.

Blake (Denver): What was more improbable about Knocked Up? That Seth Rogan would get the girl or that him and his slacker-friends would even be at that bar in the first place?

Bill Simmons: (4:52 PM ET ) Seth Rogen getting Katherine Heigl... that was right up there with the Drago-Balboa fight taking place in Christmas Eve in Russia and Rocky waiving his paycheck.

Luke (Ithaca, NY): What will it take for you talk about the Sox? We're in the middle of one of the most amazing seasons for such Sox talk - Lester returning from cancer, Pedroia (a guy you knocked repeatedly) being better than Lugo, Crisp and Drew combined, amazing Asian imports in Okajima and Dice-K, Beckett being outstanding, Tavarez providing endless comedy on the pitcher's mound, Youk's beard-like-thing and Boggs-like-hitting, and, oh yeah, a freaking outstanding lead in the East. You're just not giving this enough airtime in any means. Is it the goddamn Pink Hat Nation bringing you down? Let the NBA and the Celtics go for a second and talk some baseball!

Bill Simmons: (4:55 PM ET ) I don't want to jinx anything. We have a 10-game lead. I opened my mouth once on the first "Johnny Are you Worried Yet?" segment and the yankees immediately ripped off eight straight,

John Simmons, Richlands VA: Why do the Rockets get off the hook for drafting Olajuwon instead of Jordan when they already had Sampson?

Bill Simmons: (4:56 PM ET ) Not quite sure. The move they made (And Filip Bondy wrote about it in his new book about the '84 Draft) was Sampson for the No. 2 pick, which was actually on the table and Houston didn't want to do it. They could have had Hakeem AND Jordan. Yikes.

Bill Simmons: (4:57 PM ET ) That's one of the all-time NBA "What ifs" along with "What would have happened if Bias didn't die?" and "What would have happened had Portland held onto Moses before the '76-77 season?"

web (Lexington, KY): Bill, we going to see you on friday at apple buying an iphone? and any thoughts on Barcelona becoming the best professional team in any sport with the addition of Thierry Henry?

Bill Simmons: (4:58 PM ET ) No I-Phone for me... I'm excited for the 47 near-riots though.

Matt (Las Vegas): What are the chances Portland takes Durant over Oden? I live in Vegas and plan on betting on this (since gambling IS legal... here). Can we consult Janet Gretzky?

Bill Simmons: (4:59 PM ET ) I'd put the odds like this:

Oden (-150) Durant

Bill Simmons: (4:59 PM ET ) Last week before their workouts, it was Oden (-350) Durant.

Jeff, Manhattan: So i guess you endorse the new Filip Biondi book?

Bill Simmons: (5:00 PM ET ) Not necessarily, I knew most of the stuff. If you want to read a great basketball book, Amazon.com finally has "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto in stock, that's a classic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:19 pm 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

cont... (part 3)

Ryan Dwars (Cedar Rapids, IA): What are your thoughts on the FX show, Rescue Me with Denis Leary? I like the show because its different than anything else on TV.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Funny you should ask. When I mentioned in the last chat that I needed a summer show, the majority of readers recommended Rescue Me and The Shield as the two I'm missing out on...

SportsNation Bill Simmons: So I bought Season One of Rescue Me and watched the pilot two nights ago - I have to admit, it was really, really good. Almost made me forgive Denis Leary for ripping off Bill Hicks. We'll see if the rest of the season holds up, but the pilot was great.

Brendon: (NJ): NBA TV should do a rebroadcast of every past NBA Draft, with the only change being a re-write of the strengths and weaknesses. Think of the potential here: Shawn Bradley Strengths: Strong Poster Creating Ability Vin Baker Weaknesses: Jack Daniels

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I was watching a little yesterday morning... they had the 1988 Draft on and the two analysts were arguing about whether GSW made a mistake picking Mitch Richmond 5th. One guy was adamant that they screwed up. it was hysterical. What a crapshoot the draft is.

Richard (Naperville, IL): Bill, I know you hate on the Bulls, but who should we get?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Noah. He's perfect for them.

Steven (Lubbock, TX): Whats your deal with wanting to trade for AK-47? He kind of looks like misplaced eastern europeon male model to me and didnt help the Jazz much at all in the playoffs

SportsNation Bill Simmons: All right, here's my counter: Did you see the Mavs-Warriors series, which was the only time Utah let loose and abandoned their deliberate style? AK47 was amazing in that series - averaged something like a 16-9 with 4 blocks a game. He's playing out of position on a team that slows everything down and plays deliberately... OF COURSE HE'S GOING TO SUCK! He's the best guy out there for the price.

Khalid (Boston): Are you setting yourself up for sheer disappointment on Thursday?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm already there. I'm actyually really worried about how this will affect the annual Draft Diary. Since '97, we've never had the subplot of the Celtics screwing up the next 6 years of the franchise.

Doug (Brookfield, IL): Joakim Noah?!! Just what we need in Chicago. Another hustle guy who can't get his own shot and stalls our offense.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: You don't need another scorer - you're loaded at the 1-2-3 spots - and you're not getting a good low-post player at No. 9. Noah makes the most sense because, eventually, you can trade Wallace as part of a package for a big-money low-post guy (or even do it this season).

Mike (Sparta, NJ): I was listening to Mike and Mike the other day, and the discussion was top 10 PG's of all time. They had Nash in, but not Gary Payton. Now, am I crazy, or would Payton in his prime absolutely destroyed Nash on both ends of the floor?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: GP would have KILLED Steve Nash. Nobody remembers this, but he decimated John Stockton in the '96 Playoffs. Killed him. Crushed him. GP was one of the best PG's ever by any calculation.

Marko (Bay Area): If I'm in need of inside help and have a pick after about 20, I roll the dice on Glen Davis...is this crazy??

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I don't think it's crazy at all - three years at LSU, three double-double seasons in the 17-10 range. Not sure why he slipped... he was on an awful team last year.

Dan NY: Im a Knick fan, do I really have to listen to you whine about the Celtics' problems? FWTF!!

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Terrific point.

Joe, VA: For the strip club song... 500 miles by the Proclaimers.

mj (Lexington, Ky): Give us your first three thoughts on KG playing alongside Kobe.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: 1. We'd have all our answers to every question about both of them.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: 2. I'd enjoy their fake friendship where they pretended to be buddy buddy and Kobe over-laughed at his jokes.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: 3. They could compete for the title every year for the next five with Kobe, KG, Phil and 10 mediocre guys.

paul shirley(kansas): bill, have you forgotten that we are the only two people who write for ESPN.com that know that music has been released since "Whip it"? help these guys out, I haven't had a chat in a while.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: havent had any music questions... not sure why. all NBA and wrestling.

Peter (Tarzana, CA): Oden (-150) as the #1 pick, huh? Can I parlay that with Atlanta not taking a PG at #3 or #11 (-200)?

Bunky: How about "Everybody Hurts" by REM for a lap dance?

Mike, Oswego, NY: Im sure you saw Hollinger rated Brewer at about the 30th best prospect in this years draft, Im guessing you don't put any weight into his system?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: haven't seen that column yet but I'm going to skip it now...

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Have a couple links to pass along...

SportsNation Bill Simmons: jeff B. from Ann Arbor: City: "This link http://www.n-c-systems.com/hoops/index.html takes you to old NBA draft transactions. Talk about crafting the draft-look at what the Lakers *got* http://www.n-c-systems.com/hoops/DraftTrades/1979.html in the Goddrich deal that landed them Magic. Also interesting that, in '76, the Warriors actually used the Lakers pick to take Robert Parish.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Aaron in Philly: "With all your Janet Gretzky jokes in your NHL Draft running diary, I thought you might appreciate this http://youtube.com/watch?v=atWtwIiXQKI. Gotta love Youtube, and Ulf Samuelsson."

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Rob in Toronto:
This is probably the best fight video / song compilation i've ever seen. Especially for a toronto fan.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EEltpSMTDPM

SportsNation Bill Simmons: * Mike B. in Massapequa, NY takes it to another level by suggesting a funny clip, only it's a clip he created himself: "I'm a big Mike and the Mad Dog fan and thought you might appreciate this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppKLhlpkKyg of me doing an impersonation of the Mad Dog's rant about Pacman Jones after the NBA All-Star Game in Las Vegas."

SportsNation Bill Simmons: * Ted M. in Baltimore: "Howard Cosell calling the 1980 Battle of the Network Stars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63HsxXeNzRk. This breaks the unintential comedy scale. I had to stop watching after he said 'Cathy Lee Crosby has a groin pull.'"

SportsNation Bill Simmons:
Jon B. from Vernon Hills: "Pure comic gold http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgyx5JPkxxY here, in the form of Philip Michael Thomas having an angel dust induced meltdown in the grocery store."

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Also, it's been circulating the 'net for a week, but if you haven't listened to Elijah Dukes's radio interview yet, make sure you carve out 20 minutes to do so. I am pushing hard behind the scenes for a new ESPN show called "Quite Frankly with Elijah Dukes."

Brent (Portland, OR) : Bill - why isn't there real-time wagering on sporting events available on cross-country commercial flights? The on-line access is available, the TV feed is available, the cocktails are already there and you tell me what better defines a "captive" audience. This should be a credit card swipe away on every major airline. How do we make this happen?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Now that's the idea of the day!

Mike (Chicago): I would like a lap dance to Rick Astley's "Never gonna give you up".

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm glad you brought this up. When I was in college, we used to go to Papa Gino's for All You Can Eat Pasta night, which was fantastic. Anyway, right when we got there one night, I put $5 into the jukebox and just selected that same Rick Astley song over and over again so that it would play for the entire time we were there. The reactions from the diners were priceless. Every time the song ended, you could see people praying that it wouldn't start again, and then it would. I miss college.

Nathan (Phoenix): Good call on one sleeper, Jared Dudley's number 10 on Hollinger's article.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: OK, now I want to read it.

juliolugo: Where's my mojo? It seems like I couldn't hit a whiffle ball right now...

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Please, start grabbing your crotch more often. Ever since they had that talk with you, you've been a mess. grab the crotch, Julio. Grab it. Don't worry about what people will think.

Jake (Boston): John Hollinger has given me even more reason to have nightmares the next two nights. Read the article- it will terrify you.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: now i'm afraid again

Chris G, Tallahassee: 5:30 Quittin time! thanks for helping me get through the last 2 hours of my day. My production is at an all time low

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Yeah, you're probably right. Let's start wrapping this up shortly. Please don't send me angry e-mails when this chat abruptly goes right to Insider, that's just trhe way the system works, we'll have a transcript for you at some point soon.

Rene (Toronto, ON): During the day, they replayed the 1993 NBA Draft, and they listed Robert Horry's weakness as "Intensity" ... let's ask Steve Nash if Horry still has that problem!

SportsNation Bill Simmons: In the '88 or '89 Draft yesterday, Eric Leckner's weaknesses were "rebounding and intensity." That killed me. No mention of his lack of athleticism.

Benny, Hong Kong: Bill, predict the rookie season stats for Oden and Durant right now.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Oden: 14 PPG, 11.3 RPG, 2.6 BPG, 65 games.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Durant: 17.9 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 1.7 BPG, 42% from three.

Mike (Saskatoon, SK): So, you're not going to admit that liking the Bravery was a Kevin McHale-type selection?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: "Time Won't Let Me Go" - good new tune. There are worse bands than the Bravery.

Danny Ainge (Boston): Bill, didn't you hear that Pierce just demanded a trade unless I bring in a big vet, a la O'Neal, KB, or KG??? I should trade him and then take Brewer, right? Your thoughts?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I want to live in a world where NBA "franchise players" don't agree to $20 million per year extensions, then demand trades 12 months later.

Ryan (SLC): Just thought I'd confirm your thought that the Kirilenko trade makes sense. As a die-hard Jazz fan, I actually think it makes sense on both sides. I'd rather have two guys who can shoot (Wally, Green) than a guy who is going to have a nervous break down next year if he doesn't get away from Coach Sloan.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Good, then it's settled. let's call it in to Commissioner Stern.

luke, Tucson, AZ: Players rated above Brewer in Hollinger's system include: Fazekas, McRoberts, Dudley, Kyle Visser, Sean Williams, Herbert Hill, etc... I don't agree with any of this, but is it possible for Brewer to fall way short of expectations? I wouldn't think so, especially since his defense is his strength. Any thoughts?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Hold on, I'm pulling my tongue out of the back of my throat.

Doug (Dallas, TX): Did you see Hollinger's draft rankings? Kevin Durant scored off the charts. He is over 200 points above Greg Oden. Plus Hollinger can't factor in the "chip on the shoulder" that Durant will have after he gets picked second. Get excited.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I like that John Hollinger!

Logan (Bellevue, WA): Am I alone in thinking that "Donna Martin Graduate!" is a great rallying cry, regardless of what's going on? I'd like to see more "Donna Martin Graduate!" chants at sporting events.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Forgot to mention: I made a joke about the Canadian exchange rate in Monday's NHL column... apparently, it's 93 cents on the US dollar right now. Good God! That's Canada's music!

pete, vancouver BC: That creepy Joan Osborne song about God is my nominee for worst strip club song.

nick eht, nj: Mike and the Mechanics "The Living Years" would also be an awful strip club song.........

Justin (Nowhere, TN): Come on, can you really blame Paul Pierce for wanting out? He signed that extension expecting that the team would do SOMETHING toward pushing for a title. Now he's coached by a guy who would be overwhelmed at the middle-school girls' level, the team's about to bank its franchise on the Chinese Brad Lohaus, there's no rhyme or reason to anything the front office does... wouldn't you want out of that, too? Hasn't the franchise betrayed him with its incompetence?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: No, he signed it HOPING they'd do something. Big difference. I'm just tired of guys like Gasol, O'Neal and Pierce bitching about their teams when part of the team's problem is that they're spending 1/3rd of their cap on guys who aren't franchise players (or in Gasol's case, 1/5th). The whole "get me some help" routine should only work if you're in the class of KG or Kobe and you're a legitimate franchise guy who got screwed over by a GM.

Adam (East Lansing): Kevin Durant is a remarkable player, but this is a perfect example of why you will never be a GM Sports guy. Admittedly you could do it better than about a third of the guys working right now, but there is no way you pass a franchise center up for someone who has the potential to be abigger bust than Sam Bowie.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'll never be a GM because it would be ridiculous if anyone ever hired me as a GM. But I'm right about Durant. None of this will come back to haunt me, barring injury. I am right about this. He's going to be an all-timer.

Tracy McGrady (Houston, TX): Bill Simmons: (5:39 PM ET ) No, he signed it HOPING they'd do something. Big difference. I'm just tired of guys like Gasol, O'Neal and Pierce bitching about their teams when part of the team's problem is that they're spending 1/3rd of their cap on guys who aren't franchise players (or in Gasol's case, 1/5th). The whole "get me some help" routine should only work if you're in the class of KG or Kobe and you're a legitimate franchise guy who got screwed over by a GM. Do I count here? John Weisbrod & The Orlando Sentinel tag teamed me out of Orlando, where I'm from.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Yeah, you count T-Mac.

Ryan (Dallas, TX): New rule. You can't be a franchise player if you can't take your team out of the first round or even to the playoffs.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: Agreed.

Robert, Dallas: As the father of a baby girl I would assume your friends who only have boys taunt and joke about their kids dating your daughter. What do you do? Not sure if I should ignore them, acknowledge the better jokes or kill them.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: My friend Sully does this to me constantly. I'm going to have my revenge 13 years from now when I pay off his kid's English teacher to embroil them in one of those Pam Smart sex scandals.

Jason (Seattle): Man, you just totally jinxed Durant with that proclamation. If he breaks his leg slipping in a rain puddle, I'm gunning for you.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I didn't jinx anything, He can't miss. MJ couldn't miss, LBron couldn't miss and this kid can't miss. Sometimes you just know with these things.

Lincoln (Seattle): KJR sports radio in Seattle is reporting the Hawks are enamored with Ridnour and are offering # 11 for him. If this is for real, the Atlanta Hawks are my all-time favorite franchise!

Nick (Boston): Did the producers of Entourage take Horatio Sanz's depiction of Gene Shalit, combine it with a bad Antonio Banderas impression, and spice it up with a pinch of the '2Pac walking out of court' strut to recreate Pablo Escobar? It's pretty embarrassing.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: You raise a good point - were those scenes supposed to be tongue in cheek (because it was a discreet way of telling is the movie is going to bomb), Or was Adrian Grenier just that bad? It had to be one or the other, right?

josh ut: Just one more thought on the Benoit situation for the non-wrestling fans. This was the equivalent of a Derek Fisher or Donovan Mcnabb or Derek Jeter committing the act, one of the most recognizable class acts of a sport. The man was known as classy individual and had the respect of everyone he worked with. If your kid was going to be a wrestler, you would have wanted him to be Chris Benoit. This is why it is so hard for the wrestling community to come to grip with this tragedy.

Jonathan (Boston): Disco Duck by Rick Dees. We have a winner!

SportsNation Bill Simmons: All right, looks like we're done. Tomorrow, Chad Ford and I are going head to head in an interactive mock draft on ESPN.com. Not sure of the time or the format, but at the very least, it should be interesting. After that, I'm going to church for the first time in 4 years to pray that the Celtics don't do anything dumb. See you tomorrow, thanks for all the questions on short notice!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:55 pm 
Bodyguard
 YIM  Profile

ahem, you're welcome?

Should I post the BS/Chad Ford mock draft they're doing at noon?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:20 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

i'm gonna buy this indiser one of these days but until then......can somebody post the Samuel L Jackson chat from yesterday? i'm intrigued for some reason

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Clubber wrote:
i'm gonna buy this indiser one of these days but until then......can somebody post the Samuel L Jackson chat from yesterday? i'm intrigued for some reason

yeah i wanted to read that too, this insider crap is such bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:04 pm 
Unthought Known

he answered about 8 questions... :haha:

Matt-Palos Verdes, Ca: If you only had one last round of golf to play, where would you play it and who would round out the foursome?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: One last round to play...I would love to play Spy Glass and I would like to play with Anthony Anderson.

stephen sirak, henderson nv: this movie is suppose to be a great movie from what ive heard. Does it have you thinking oscar?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: For Josh Hartnett, yes.

Cole (Salem, OR): If you could trade being a mega-star actor for being a Superstar Quarterback or NBA MVP..would you do it?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: No.

Tampa, Fl: Samuel, Are you a boxing fan? who are some of your all time favorite boxers?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: Yes I'm a boxing fan. My favorite all-time boxer - Muhammed Ali, naturally. Sugar Ray Leonard. Floyd Mayweather. Oscar De Lay Hoya.

Brendan (Haverford, PA): Samuel, was it fun working as a sports figure?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: It was fun. How many sports related movies have I done, other than Coach Carter? I can't think of any. But I've enjoyed the two that I've done.

Jason, La, california: Who is your favorite team in any sport at the moment?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: The University of Tennessee Lady Vols, who are the NCAA champions now. That was lost in the midst of the Imus mess.

Cole (Salem, OR): Samuel, how does your choosing of a movie play out? Does your agent come to you w/ ideas, or do you go to them with ideas?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: I read the script. If I like the story and I think it will be interesting and compelling to watch, as well as me and if I like the character, then that becomes a choice. But just because I choose it, doesn't mean they will make it.

Zaheer B (Toronto, Canada): I see you at a lot of Toronto Raptor games and I have read that you are a fan of the team. My Question to you is with the whole Boston transformation what do you think the chances are for a repeat of the Atlantinc crown?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: I think it will be tougher for them to do this year. Boston will be tougher. But I think the Raptors improved when they got Kapono. I expect them to do bigger and better things.

Pete Red Bank NJ: where does snakes on a plane rank, in your mind, on the list of movies you've been in. and if it's not your favorite, which movie did you enjoy the most?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: My favorite movie is Long Kiss Goodnight. Snakes on a Plane would be the favorite junk movie that I've done.

Bobby, Atlanta, Georgia: I loved Black Snake Moan. I've seen most of your big screen film work. How do you rate the film and your own performance in it when compared to your other career work.

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: I think my performance in that film was award worthy. It's different. It's edgy. I think the character is complete and different from any character that I've done. Any character that makes me sing is different. I expect to win a Grammy for that, too.

Scott (Nashville,TN): Hey Mr. Jackson, Will you be making another film with Quentin Tarantino anytime soon?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: I understand that Quentin is finally finishing this script that he's been talking to me about for the last 7-8 years about these black soldiers in WWII. Hopefully we'll be doing that sometime soon.

Irvin, Newport, California: Which character in any of your movies did you enjoy playing the most?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: My favorite character is Mitch in Long Kiss Goodnight.

Mike Mays/ Atlanta: how does it feel to be the coolest in the land full of cool?

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: It feels like being the one eyed man in the land of the blind.

SportsNation Samuel L. Jackson: Thank you everybody for logging on. Hopefully you'll go see the movie.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:06 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

well.....that was pretty awful. Thanks though

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm 
Spacegirl

is this worth $40 of my hard earned cash a year, team?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
Unthought Known

Spike wrote:
is this worth $40 of my hard earned cash a year, team?

it depends on whether you like the magazine and or the perspective of thier writers or not.

In my opinion, no because you can find the information if it's really important elsewhere. If you really like ESPN though and you use it a lot for information I can see where a personwould enjoy it.

I think it's a little pricey though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:16 pm 
Got Some

I hate those little orange boxes on their links, especially with baseball season coming up. Those seem to be more common there than on their football pages.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I got a free month of insider some how, maybe through facebook? give it a google.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports