Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: The Chicago Bears Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm 
AnalLog

pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
i know he's somewhat out of position for the time being, but i read this morning that McClellin is getting dominated every day in camp. how long are you guys willing to wait for him to develop?

Well, he's not going to start in front of Peppers or Idonije. What we need out of him is decent pass rushes on passing downs (the Mark Anderson role back in 2006 for the Bears). It was a questionable draft pick but i think part of the reason they did draft him is that if he doesn't work out on the line, he COULD be Urlacher's replacement at MLB down the road because he does have the speed to play the position. It just may be that he won't have the strength to play the line. So he's got to fail at 2 positions to truly be a bust.
the thing w/ urlacher (for me) is that he was a safety in college. he was reading qb's and dropping back in coverage his whole life. McClellin has had a fairly specific role as an OLB (if i understand his bio correct) so i'm not sure you could ask him to make that jump in a year should his DE days not pan out by next season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EllisEamos wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
i know he's somewhat out of position for the time being, but i read this morning that McClellin is getting dominated every day in camp. how long are you guys willing to wait for him to develop?

Well, he's not going to start in front of Peppers or Idonije. What we need out of him is decent pass rushes on passing downs (the Mark Anderson role back in 2006 for the Bears). It was a questionable draft pick but i think part of the reason they did draft him is that if he doesn't work out on the line, he COULD be Urlacher's replacement at MLB down the road because he does have the speed to play the position. It just may be that he won't have the strength to play the line. So he's got to fail at 2 positions to truly be a bust.
the thing w/ urlacher (for me) is that he was a safety in college. he was reading qb's and dropping back in coverage his whole life. McClellin has had a fairly specific role as an OLB (if i understand his bio correct) so i'm not sure you could ask him to make that jump in a year should his DE days not pan out by next season.

From what i've heard (i have never seen the guy play) he was pretty comfortable in college dropping back in zone which is not uncommon for an OLB in a 3-4 defense. And in Lovie's Tampa 2, that's basically what the MLB does. But being Urlacher's replacement would be a last ditch effort to keep him on the team down the road, it surely isn't preferred.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm 
AnalLog

pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

From what i've heard (i have never seen the guy play) he was pretty comfortable in college dropping back in zone which is not uncommon for an OLB in a 3-4 defense. And in Lovie's Tampa 2, that's basically what the MLB does. But being Urlacher's replacement would be a last ditch effort to keep him on the team down the road, it surely isn't preferred.
right, but it's a completely different assignment to working the flat and working between the tackles. i thought it was an odd pick, and the more i think about it, if he doesn't pan out how they'd like, his development will not go well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:27 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EllisEamos wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

right, but it's a completely different assignment to working the flat and working between the tackles. i thought it was an odd pick, and the more i think about it, if he doesn't pan out how they'd like, his development will not go well.

Apparently he was all over the field today, including an interception.

As far as him being a MLB, as long as he has speed, which he surely has, he could develop in Lovie's system fine. For the first 2 years, Urlacher got by on speed to cover his mistakes, he was always a good tackler, and he has always been awful at blitzing and getting off blocks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 am 
AnalLog

that's good about today's work. honestly, i'd like to see him succeed. i hate when guys bust b/c i feel it's the coaches and GM's more than the player (more often than not).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

More on McClellin from scout.com

Quote:
-For the second time in as many practices, I saw McClellin drop into coverage from the end position. He looked good out in space. His ability and experience in coverage will allow the Bears a lot of options with their zone blitz packages.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:03 pm 
a joke

Matt Stafford and Brandon Pettigrew look forward to seeing the rookie Mountain West defensive lineman in coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:14 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Matt Stafford and Brandon Pettigrew look forward to seeing the rookie Mountain West defensive lineman in coverage.

It'll be tough to throw with Pepper's helmet lodged into Stafford's chest. Lions and Bears will be fun though, i'll be going to the Monday night game in October.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:21 pm 
a joke

pnjguy wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

It'll be tough to throw with Pepper's helmet lodged into Stafford's chest. Lions and Bears will be fun though, i'll be going to the Monday night game in October.

Peppers head in Staffords chest is the only reason they're going for 8 to pettigrew instead of 40 to Calvin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Skitch Patterson wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

Peppers head in Staffords chest is the only reason they're going for 8 to pettigrew instead of 40 to Calvin.

Stafford's intermediate passing hasn't been impressive up to this point.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:13 pm 
Spacegirl

ejny wrote:
I think their entire season rides on their offense line. Will they continue to let Cutler be a tackling dummy? Or do they finally have enough talent to stop the bloodbath?

All the other pieces are there to be a top 3 team in NFC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 am 
a joke

Didn't they trade for Brandon Marshall? :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:20 pm 
Administrator

I'm enjoying the NFC North hatefest that's blossoming in this thread. All we need now is someone to rep the Vikings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:01 pm 
a joke

Green Habit wrote:
I'm enjoying the NFC North hatefest that's blossoming in this thread. All we need now is someone to rep the Vikings.

I imagine Christian Ponder should be available to do so my week 5.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:04 pm 
Unthought Known

I drafted Alshon Jeffery in the late rounds. What am I to expect from him? I'm expecting decent things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Supersonic

So yeah, about Brian Urlacher's knee surgeries . . .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I Hail Randy Moss wrote:
I drafted Alshon Jeffery in the late rounds. What am I to expect from him? I'm expecting decent things.

He'll be a legitimate threat in the red zone, but don't look for him to be a consistent producer every week.

Chris_H_2 wrote:
So yeah, about Brian Urlacher's knee surgeries . . .

Are they surgeries or procedures? Whatever they are, its a concern, but knee injuries are difficult to gauge so we just have to wait and see. My guess is that he won't make the opener no matter what they say because of the quick turnaround for the Thursday night Packers game in week 2. So i think he'll be back that Thursday night game giving him another 10 days to rest for the next game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports