Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: *** Official Boston Sports Capital of the World thread ***
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:39 am 
Supersonic

if you guys had ricky rudd id procalaim your town the king of all sports

in the meantime im goin to jerk off to youkalis

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:20 pm 
Got Some

bostonlou wrote:
section411 wrote:
bostonlou wrote:
section411 wrote:
bostonlou wrote:
section411 wrote:

whats the pit?

hahaha ... good one

Pearl Jam Message Pit > View Profile > NY PJ1 Additional Information Group Memberships
Date of Birth: December 26, 1976
Interests: PJ , HOCKEY, GIRLS
Signature
LET'S GO RANGER'S!!

red mosquito Profile section 411
Interests: GIRLS, HOCKEY, PJ (this was here a minute ago)
Signature
LET'S GO RANGER'S!!

thats wild i guess thats the nyc stereotype
we like girls and hockey
i must find this person who is like me

do you all sit in section 411? :) good like finding your new friend!!

i guess that person does

my name refers to my section of the apt. building i live in
i sit in 425 at nyr games

oh... i see

didn't know apartment buildings had sections

funny though... you type with multiple commas...

anyway... yay boston

YES my apt building has 3 sections
why are u trying to say im someone else?
i dont get it

well, then i get all excited, I'm like Jo-Jo the idiot circus-boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:18 am 
Supersonic

punkdavid wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
how the fuck did we do a boston sports thread, 5 pages, and no one asked a very important question

what nascar drivers represent boston??

because, how the fuck can you claim to be the sports capital of the world without breeding a earnhardt or a gordon in your town

Nascar vehicles don't have blinkers either, so Boston should rock the house in that sport.

So should Los Angeles, DC and Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:49 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

My statement still stands..........

Panties aren't the best thing in the world but they are the closest thing to it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:44 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Damn it feels good to be in Boston right now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:03 pm 
AnalLog

i got bugs wrote:
how the fuck did we do a boston sports thread, 5 pages, and no one asked a very important question

what nascar drivers represent boston??

because, how the fuck can you claim to be the sports capital of the world without breeding a earnhardt or a gordon in your town

Ever heard of Roush/Fenway Racing (http://www.roushracing.com/)? check the site to learn the names of the drives who "represent" boston. I think they're doin' pretty well in "The Chase" so add that to the list!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:55 pm 
AnalLog

Bill Simmons:
Quote:
Every day, I wake up with the same look on my face that George Clooney has when he awakens in his gorgeous Italian villa next to some supermodel, looks around, gathers his bearings, checks out the beauty next to him, smells his own morning breath and thinks to himself, "Oh, yeah, I'm George Clooney." My three favorite teams (the Pats, Red Sox and Celts) have odds of 7-to-5, 6-to-5 and 7-to-1 to win their respective championships. It's an embarrassment of riches. I'm embarrassed. Any Boston sports fan in 2007 feels vindicated as hell (for keeping the faith for 15 unhappy years from October '86 to October '01) and lucky as hell (for everything that's happened since).

And it can't possibly last. We know this. By nature, following a sports team will almost always end up being painful. After all, sports are cyclical -- in professional leagues with 30 teams or more, it's impossible for one team to stay on top for too long and only one team can win a championship every year. Everyone else has to lose. For every moment like the Colts rallying from 18 points down to topple the Patriots, there seem to be 20 moments like Buffalo blowing Monday night's potential monster upset over Dallas. That's the reason I've written a "Levels of Losing" column but never a "Levels of Winning" column. Losing hurts more than winning feels good, and a great loss happens more often than a great win. It's that simple.

So these past few years have been surreal for Boston fans: Three Super Bowl titles and a World Series title, the transformation of the Sox-Yankees feud into a full-fledged rivalry, and the evolution of the Patriots from a perennial black sheep to the undisputed villain of the NFL. Back in 1999, when the fortunes of our sports teams had sunk so low that Gerry Callahan dubbed Boston "Loserville," I would have happily settled for one contender to watch ... and I probably would have chopped off a pinky like Ronnie Lott to make it happen. Eight years later, we have three legitimate contenders. It's amazing.

Three weeks from now, there's a genuine chance that the Red Sox could be playing a deciding World Series game on Oct. 30, Oct. 31 or Nov. 1, followed by Kevin Garnett's home debut for the Celtics on Nov. 2, followed by a potential bloodbath between the undefeated Colts and Patriots on Nov. 4. If everything plays out that way (and that's a big "if"), that would have to be the craziest week for a single city in the history of sports, right? How could that ever be topped? A World Series appearance, followed by a famous NBA franchise debuting the Hall of Famer who's about to make them relevant again, followed by the most anticipated NFL regular-season game in 22 years? And this could all happen in a five- or six-day span?

(Note: In the irony of ironies, my second child is due right in the middle of this swirling storm of Boston sports craziness. You couldn't make this stuff up. I almost feel bad for him -- he's going to peak as a Boston fan before he even gets circumcised.)

Although the Sox could lose to the Indians, or the Pats could lose at any point before Week 9 ... the mere fact that this week-long stretch of monster Boston sports moments could happen is more incredible than anything. See, the best thing about following sports isn't the winning itself. It's everything that comes with the winning, namely, nationally televised games, extra playoff series to watch, extra phone calls and e-mails, extra tickets to try to get, and those mornings when you wake up and think, "Game day!!!!" (This explains why it's always slightly more agonizing when your team blows a conference championship -- they didn't just squander a chance to win the title, but you were so close to clinching another two-week stretch of being alive and everything that comes with it.) When the Celtics sucked for almost all of the past 14 years, it wasn't the losing as much as the meaninglessness of it all. The team wasn't going anywhere. Nothing was happening. Nobody cared. Nobody could stop what was happening. Every day was more lackluster than the last one.

Looking back, following the Celtics was almost like being in prison -- the experience made you so bored and disgruntled, you started talking yourself into strange things just to keep yourself interested, even if it was stuff like "That chef shot me a nasty look, I'm gonna shank him in the yard later" and "Maybe I'll climb into my roommate's bed tonight and see what happens." You almost become delusional. Just four months ago, I was steadfastly against the Celtics trading Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff's contract, the No. 5 pick and cap fodder for Kevin Garnett. Why? Because Jefferson was a gifted low-post scorer who had played maybe 35 good games in his entire career. That was good enough for me. Remember, I was in prison mode. I actually wrote the sentence, "Big Al gives us 85 percent of KG's stats at 1/10th of the price."

When the deal happened in a different form two months later, it took a while to fully dawn on me that they acquired one of the 30 greatest players ever, someone who legitimized the franchise and would be rejuvenated playing in a new city with better teammates. It started with his "Welcome to Boston" news conference, when everyone was taken aback by how he handled himself. The best word to describe KG is this one: "Famous." There's something inherently famous about him. It's like having your favorite team acquire Will Smith or Denzel Washington. A few other superstars possess this trait as well, but Garnett's height, looks and intensity push him over the top -- he's always the most intimidating, substantial guy in the room unless Shaq happens to be around.

(Note: KG is so intense, NBA TV should have a reality show just so we could see him doing everyday things like buying clothes or pumping gas. A friend of mine watched a Pats game in the same suite as KG and reported that Garnett got so wound up during the game that he'd stand up every time Randy Moss was being single covered and start muttering, "Here we go ... here we go ..." Multiple people have described being in the same room with him when he gets like that as "being in the same room with a force of nature." Sounds like someone you'd want on your basketball team, right?)

Once the KG deal happened, everything else fell in line. Quality veterans started taking discounts to play in Boston, which hadn't happened since Larry Bird was playing. The entire roster was scrimmaging in Waltham (where the team's practice facility is located) before the Patriots' season had even started. Garnett played the first two exhibition games like they were Game 7 of the NBA Finals, screaming after dunks, diving for loose balls, making perfect decisions on every double team, even standing on the bench to holler crunch-time instructions to the likes of Gabe Pruitt and Dahntay Jones. Everything about this team has been transformed. You can see it. Guys are hugging before the opening tap, cheerleading during games, making extra passes and everything else. They even have a mantra for the season, the African phrase "ubundu" that means unity. Doc Rivers came up with it, which was great, although I wish he'd also come up with a plan to defend the high screen. Regardless, this team is loaded with ubundu.

And maybe they can't win the title with the Ceatles (KG's temporary nickname for himself, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, which definitely needs some work), at least not until next year, once they find a better point guard and a better coach. But they'll definitely contend, play hard every night, pull for one another and be entertaining and, really, that's all you can ask for from your favorite NBA team. I don't care about another title nearly as much as I care that I'm going to enjoy watching the Celtics again.

Which brings me back to my original point. If you're a fan of the Boston teams, you feel blessed. That's the best way to put it. Blessed. You get to watch three championship contenders. You get to watch Brady and Moss, Big Papi and Manny, KG and Pierce, Papelbon and Beckett, Ray Allen and Adalius Thomas. ... And if you have to endure a few Belichick/cheating jokes, so be it. Boston fans learned the hard way that these runs end abruptly. You're always one Cam Neely injury or Larry Bird back flare-up away from being irrelevant again, and you find yourself wishing you had enjoyed the good times more when they were happening.

This time around, I'm commemorating the moment. It's not every year that you get to wake up every day feeling like George Clooney. And if everything peaks over these next four weeks, so be it.

Last edited by EllisEamos on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 pm 
Supersonic

Simmons sums it up pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:24 pm 
Supersonic

BC #2. Red Sox three away from second title in four years and Pats on their way to fourth title in seven years. Yeah, this isn't the sports capital of the world or anything.

I'm loving all the New England jealousy/hatred :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Coach wrote:
BC #2. Red Sox three away from second title in four years and Pats on their way to fourth title in seven years. Yeah, this isn't the sports capital of the world or anything.

you didn't even mention the celtics being relevant again. and i know its only preseason but the new big 3 looks to be about as good as advertised. that is why this is even better than 2004.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm 
Supersonic

BlueNote wrote:
Coach wrote:

you didn't even mention the celtics being relevant again. and i know its only preseason but the new big 3 looks to be about as good as advertised. that is why this is even better than 2004.

I thought about including the C's. Should have mentioned that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:10 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Coach wrote:
BlueNote wrote:
Coach wrote:

And what about BC?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:42 pm 
Supersonic

dscans wrote:
Coach wrote:
BlueNote wrote:
Coach wrote:

And what about BC?

That could change tonight! What a night. World Series and BC-Vah-Tech!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:22 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I bet the Cowboys, Yankees and Indians fans teamed up to shut down the forum so they wouldn't have to hear it from us.

Just for that we're going to be even MORE obnoxious now!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:23 pm 
Supersonic

Ozymandias wrote:
I bet the Cowboys, Yankees and Indians fans teamed up to shut down the forum so they wouldn't have to hear it from us.

That's what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:48 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

That was a close call boys......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

having some people over tonight, dozens of beers, switching back and forth between the world series and the bc game. doesn't get much better. i turned down a job a little while back because they wanted me to move away from boston and this is one of the reasons why without hesitation i told them to shove it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

GrimmaceXX wrote:
That was a close call boys......

:lol:
I was sweating bullets for a minute.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:27 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

wow..... what a night

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:29 pm 
Of Counsel

Coach wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:

That's what I was thinking.

I was kind of hoping that the board wouldn't come back until after the series was over and then I could write, "If the Red Sox won the World Series and nobody talked about it, did it actually happen?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports