Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 141  Next
 Post subject: Re: ***The Official WWE/Pro Wrestling Thread***
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 pm 
Unthought Known

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
so I heard the Bret Hart book was pretty good. Have any of you read it?

I heard it's the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.

Quote:
For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:18 pm 
Unthought Known

p911gt10c wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

I heard it's the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.

I wonder what it's aboot.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:28 pm 
Unthought Known

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
p911gt10c wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

I wonder what it's aboot.

go here
http://www.liveaudiowrestling.com/news_detail.php?nid=1890

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

I'm getting my autographed copy in the mail any day now. I've read bits and pieces of it, though and it's definitely a great read. Bret comes off as both sympathetic and bitter/insane, depending on which parts you're reading.

Jericho's book is actually first on my list of wrestling books to read this holiday season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:20 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

p911gt10c wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

:haha:

in all seriousness, i am really anticipating its release in the states. i have been really interested in the whole screwjob thing ever since it happened and the behind the scenes relationship between Bret hart/vince mcmahon/HBK. that "Wrestling With the Shadows" A&E documentary on Bret Hart from like 10 years ago was awesome and i can't wait to read what he has to say about everything nowadays. apparently he is at least tolerable of vince at this point and his animosity is soley focused on HBK. i remember when he was inducted into the WWE hall of fame a few years back, one of his stipulations for appearing at the ceremony was that if he saw HBK backstage, sitting in the crowd...anywhere...he would walk out, no questions asked.

http://thedrunkenscribe.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:24 pm 
Unthought Known

I can't believe the Montreal screwjob was 10 years ago.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Bret's book doesn't come out in the US until early next year, but I plan on getting it the day it comes out.

I read Jericho's book... very entertaining. Foley's first book is still the best one though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:07 pm 
Unthought Known

LostDog1079 wrote:
Bret's book doesn't come out in the US until early next year, but I plan on getting it the day it comes out.

I read Jericho's book... very entertaining. Foley's first book is still the best one though.

http://www.amazon.ca/Hitman-Real-Cartoon-World-Wrestling/dp/0307355667/ref=pd_ts_b_3?ie=UTF8&s=books

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 pm 
Global Moderator

LostDog1079 wrote:

the only wrestling books ive ever read were micks first 2, and i loved the first one, i would really like to find another book that can bring back old memories and entertain me like that

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Dr., have you read Foley's last book, "The Hardcore Diaries", yet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:37 pm 
Unthought Known

I must say last nights' IMPACT was quite good. Sonjay and Lethal work great together and kept up a really fast pace the whole match. It pretty much sets up a win for them on Sunday seeing as they lost tonight. Unless of course TNA fucks up again and sets the X Division back another few years. If they do it right, Lethal gets posession of the belt back and 3D goes back into the tag team hunt. They've got such huge talent in the tags, they could put 2 matches on any PPV and they'd stand up with the main event.

Damn, when Eric Young does color, he does color!

And to me it looked like Rhino got hurt there, maybe on the arm. Was hard to tell because he took a soft shot to the head but bailed to the outside holding his arm. haven't heard anything about it since the taping though.

Solid main event too, although the faces side was a helluva mixed bag. But it did make sense not to have Hall/Nash out there as they're better days are behind 'em.
And AJ's comedic schtick is fuckin hillarious!!! The spot where he was so excited he actually fell into the ring, to which Tomko and Angle just shook their heads in disbelief was some of the funniest shit I'd seen in awhile.

The series of finishers at the end was great too. Damn near everyone got one in. Tons of action.

Anyone notice the smile on Booker's face these days? That things' tattooed on.
Good back n forth between Book and Roode. Roode def. got the potential to be a top card guy. And his wrestling style is eerily reminiscent(sp) of Mr. Perfect, which is awesome.

Only negatives of the show: 1. more Karen Angle. Seriously, she shoulda been done afte the 1st PPV she was on.
2. the Mixed tag. Christie Hemme's skills just aren't what they need to be to match Gail's moves. Mind you, neither are Awesome Kong's, but I say Gail drops the strap to her on sunday, just to start and giant/lil person feud. TNA should have James Mitchell manage Kong since she ain't talkin much and she's just a power hitter. Mitchell could do for her what he did for Abyss.

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:58 pm 
Global Moderator

LostDog1079 wrote:

no i havent, what all does he talk about in it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:00 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
LostDog1079 wrote:

no i havent, what all does he talk about in it?

Most of the book deals with the build-up to the ECW ppv last year and the match between Foley/Edge vs. Funk/Dreamer. He talks about the original idea he had going into it and all the battles he had over it with WWE Creative. He also mentions briefly his feud in 2004 with Orton, his 2006 feud with Flair, his friendship with Melina and some other stories that slip my mind at the moment.

Post subject: Re: ***The Official WWE Thread***
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:36 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
J38ryan wrote:
LostDog1079 wrote:
J38ryan wrote:
Maybe when you get a little older you can watch MMA.

:D

That stuff never really appealed to me. :?

UFC 78 is taking place right over the River tomorrow at the new Prudential Center in Newark. Go and you'll be hooked.

the two really have nothing in common IMO.

Actually, the roots of pro wrestling have a pretty significnt influence on MMA. Catch wrestling, as it was called, was more or less a traveling carnival spectacle where folks would wrestle and attempt to submit their opponent. People would basically pro wrestle for real and try to manage sleeper holds and things of that nature. One of MMA's first organizations, Japan's Pancrase, began showcasing unstaged bouts where the fighters would attempt to submit each other with permitted use of kicks (they wore shin guards) and open-handed strikes (there was a time in pro wrestling when close-fisted strikes were considered "illega.l" I'm not sure if it's still that way).

A lot of people don't realize this, but in Japan, pro wrestling training puts a lot more emphasis on legitimate execution of submission holds. MMA pioneers such as Ken and Frank Shamrock got their start in Pancrase, where they were able to adopt both their submission training for pro wrestling and their strikes from various martial arts disciplines they practiced.

Obviously, in terms of submissions, the more effective art of brazilian jiu-jitsu has more or less become the standard for MMA fighters today, but a common hold used today such as the rear-naked choke, is essentially a sleeper hold. The groundwork for various leg locks, ankle locks and chokes was evident in catch wrestling.

Also, you'd be surprised how many MMA fans are basically converted WWE fans. Many of the MMA's premiere journalists (most notably Dave Meltzer, who is arguably the #1 news source for MMA) covered pro wrestling long before they began involvement in MMA.

Pro wrestling is basically a mockery of combat sports (as an avid amateur wrestling fan, I can't help but cringe when they actually refer to this form of entertainment as "wrestling"), but as a fan of grappling and combat sports, I find the history of pro wrestling to be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:58 pm 
Unthought Known

HALL NO SHOWS AT TNA'S TURNING POINT

"The old saying was, "Don't turn your back on the Wolfpack." However, thats just what Scott Hall did when he decided to no-show his TNA PPV return. With only two thirds of the team in place, Samoa Joe ventured through the locker room in search of a replacement, emphasizing how chaos ruled Turning Point.

The main event stage was set as The Angle Alliance made their way into the Impact Zone, anxiously awaiting Samoa Joe and Kevin Nash. Through the grapevine, Joe had found out earlier on that Scott Hall decided against showing up to Turning Point, leaving his team high and dry. Kevin Nash made his way out to confront The Angle Alliance, with Samoa Joe in tow.

With anger at a premium, Joe grabbed the mic and went off, shooting on Scott Hall and how stars like him think they can do whatever they want, but how all they really do is screw over the young guys and the fans. Kevin Nash appeared a bit upset at Joe's remarks which were capped off with a "Scott Hall, chico, kiss my ass." Joe ended his rant by introducing his replacement, Eric Young."

I think this is a record. Scott Hall's managed to screw every major wrestling org. around. The official reason given by Hall was food poisoning.....right. I didn't get to see the PPV but I'll probably find it tonight or tomorrow, cause I really wanna see this segment with Joe going off on Hall.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Just when I thought Joe couldn't possibly kick any more ass.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:16 pm 
Unthought Known

ThumbingMyWayToNFLD wrote:
Just when I thought Joe couldn't possibly kick any more ass.

I imagine that clip will probably show up on youtube, hopefully soon. I heard a couple of excerpts and it's fuckin stellar.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:20 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

hold up, he acually didnt show up for the event?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:23 pm 
Unthought Known

mowbs wrote:
hold up, he acually didnt show up for the event?

Oh don't look so surprised!

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:25 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Ah Scott Hall. You never cease to amaze me. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 141  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports