Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 154  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official 2008 New England Patriots Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:20 pm 
AnalLog

ms11781 wrote:
I would guess they already know whether they have a use for Clark Haggans. My guess in no, as he's never played inside at all. You noted before that Thomas, Vrabel and Colvin had all played inside before but the difference is that they had already seen Thomas do it, and knew what he was capable of, and Vrabel and Colvin only played inside once they got here because it was necessary due to injuries. At some point they need to get an actual middle linebacker so these guys can stop playing out of position. I think the major factor in Colvin being cut was because of the cap hit, but it makes me wonder if they're going to go with Vrabel and Thomas in their normal positions outside for the full season (or at least attempt to) and make a run at some help for Bruschi in free agency or through the draft.

:thumbsup:
Quote:
Patriots re-sign WR Washington

:thumbsup:, putting him opposite Moss, with Welker in the slot would make for another strong year in the passing game.

So sign Randy already!!! Gaffney too! :luv:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
:thumbsup:, putting him opposite Moss, with Welker in the slot would make for another strong year in the passing game.

So sign Randy already!!! Gaffney too! :luv:

Obviously, those two are high on my wishlist as well.... with a good ILB and cover corner to boot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:20 pm 
AnalLog

Self Polluted wrote:
with a good ILB

Boss Bailey? Rocky Boiman? Kendrell Bell? Clark Haggans? Dan Morgan?

Self Polluted wrote:
and cover corner to boot.

do jayson webster or lito sheppard fit the bill?

i'm thinkin' the draft is where its at for those positions and the pats just look to sign randy and jabar on O.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:13 pm 
Supersonic

are they actually going to lose moss? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:22 am 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

http://ghostsofwaynefontes.blogspot.com ... onger.html

I just love it when things go kablooie. In this case, I really love it when things go kablooie. The New England Patriots are showing some erosion in the foundation and it looks as though we are headed for a breakdown.

How does the team that was hailed as the best team in NFL history just a few short months ago merit a discussion of a collapse? I'll show you. Let's take a look at what's going on around Foxboro one thing at a time. This could be the greatest reversal of fortune since Scrooge found his #1 dime.

As for Spygate, you already know that saga. The punishment for Bill Belichick is a forfeited first round pick in the upcoming draft. Granted, the pick would have been only a #31, the second to last pick in the first round, but it hurts. They could sure use that pick on a cornerback, but we'll deal with that in a moment. The thing is about Spygate, is that it is conceivable that Arlen Specter could impose further punishments on both Belichick and Goodell. In a worst case scenario, neither of their jobs are safe.

The next crack to be exposed is the wide receiver situation. Dante Stallworth is already gone. The deal is inked and he has departed for browner pastures. Stallworth signed a 7-year $35 million dollar contract with Cleveland. The big news though in the wide receiving corps is that other dude who plays from them, Randy Something. Randy is getting wooed by the NFL cream of the crop. First, we heard their were talks about Moss going to play alongside Terrell Owens in Dallas (has their even been a worse idea in a sport, ever?) Now, word on the street is that the Colts are looking to make a deal for Moss. Thus, the whole argument that Moss will stay in Boston to win a championship is relatively moot as there isn't much of a downgrade, if any, to go to either of those prospective suitors. Surely, the thought of catching passes from Peyton Manning is mighty tempting. Other rumors include the Packers, Giants, and Saints. We'll see how this plays out, but I foresee a juicy offer coming from one of these teams and a tight wad New England response, resulting in Randy Moss headed elsewhere. New England will likely stick with their buy low value approach and let him walk.

The defense is also on orange alert level as well. That aforementioned cornerback hole I mentioned? That is the vacancy left behind by All-Pro, 16 interceptions in the past two seasons, defensive stalwart, Asante Samuel. Samuel agreed to a deal with the Eagles for a cool $60 million over 6. Samuel is one of the best corners in the league and a huge playmaker for the Pats defense. The Patriots were able to resign Teddy Bruschi, so there is one area of solace for the Pats, but they still have starting safety Eugene Wilson unrestricted, Junior Seau unrestricted, and 3 other backup DBs, Randall Gay, Mel Mitchell, and Chad Scott unrestricted. (update: Gay is gone. Signed by New Orleans) You catch my drift? The Patriots better start playing defense to protect their defense.

And last but not least, trusty scrapper, Kevin Faulk, got nabbed by the fuzz with the sticky icky. It's all crumbling down. In truth, this is not that big of a deal, but it will presumably result in the standard 4 game detention and also further highlights the bad vibes around Beantown. It seems as though everything that could go wrong is going wrong.

So, despite all of the moving parts in New England and the compilation of a growing number of negative occurrences, it seems like Belichick and his front office are sitting on their hands watching this team unravel. As the free agency period opened with a a barrage of bold moves across the league, the Pats have lacked feist and simply cut a TE and resigned Bruschi and their long snapper. That doesn't seem like the type of fire we've come to expect from New England. It's safe to assume that these guys have a plan, because they always seem to be one step ahead, but this time it's awfully hard to believe it. Did all the controversy, hype, and perpetual attention finally catch up with the Patriots to the point that they finally burned out?

Uh oh...and did i see that the Colts are looking at Moss? Oh boy!

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:26 am 
Supersonic

Clubber wrote:
http://ghostsofwaynefontes.blogspot.com/2008/03/next-time-you-should-build-it-stronger.html

I just love it when things go kablooie. In this case, I really love it when things go kablooie. The New England Patriots are showing some erosion in the foundation and it looks as though we are headed for a breakdown.

How does the team that was hailed as the best team in NFL history just a few short months ago merit a discussion of a collapse? I'll show you. Let's take a look at what's going on around Foxboro one thing at a time. This could be the greatest reversal of fortune since Scrooge found his #1 dime.

As for Spygate, you already know that saga. The punishment for Bill Belichick is a forfeited first round pick in the upcoming draft. Granted, the pick would have been only a #31, the second to last pick in the first round, but it hurts. They could sure use that pick on a cornerback, but we'll deal with that in a moment. The thing is about Spygate, is that it is conceivable that Arlen Specter could impose further punishments on both Belichick and Goodell. In a worst case scenario, neither of their jobs are safe.

The next crack to be exposed is the wide receiver situation. Dante Stallworth is already gone. The deal is inked and he has departed for browner pastures. Stallworth signed a 7-year $35 million dollar contract with Cleveland. The big news though in the wide receiving corps is that other dude who plays from them, Randy Something. Randy is getting wooed by the NFL cream of the crop. First, we heard their were talks about Moss going to play alongside Terrell Owens in Dallas (has their even been a worse idea in a sport, ever?) Now, word on the street is that the Colts are looking to make a deal for Moss. Thus, the whole argument that Moss will stay in Boston to win a championship is relatively moot as there isn't much of a downgrade, if any, to go to either of those prospective suitors. Surely, the thought of catching passes from Peyton Manning is mighty tempting. Other rumors include the Packers, Giants, and Saints. We'll see how this plays out, but I foresee a juicy offer coming from one of these teams and a tight wad New England response, resulting in Randy Moss headed elsewhere. New England will likely stick with their buy low value approach and let him walk.

The defense is also on orange alert level as well. That aforementioned cornerback hole I mentioned? That is the vacancy left behind by All-Pro, 16 interceptions in the past two seasons, defensive stalwart, Asante Samuel. Samuel agreed to a deal with the Eagles for a cool $60 million over 6. Samuel is one of the best corners in the league and a huge playmaker for the Pats defense. The Patriots were able to resign Teddy Bruschi, so there is one area of solace for the Pats, but they still have starting safety Eugene Wilson unrestricted, Junior Seau unrestricted, and 3 other backup DBs, Randall Gay, Mel Mitchell, and Chad Scott unrestricted. (update: Gay is gone. Signed by New Orleans) You catch my drift? The Patriots better start playing defense to protect their defense.

And last but not least, trusty scrapper, Kevin Faulk, got nabbed by the fuzz with the sticky icky. It's all crumbling down. In truth, this is not that big of a deal, but it will presumably result in the standard 4 game detention and also further highlights the bad vibes around Beantown. It seems as though everything that could go wrong is going wrong.

So, despite all of the moving parts in New England and the compilation of a growing number of negative occurrences, it seems like Belichick and his front office are sitting on their hands watching this team unravel. As the free agency period opened with a a barrage of bold moves across the league, the Pats have lacked feist and simply cut a TE and resigned Bruschi and their long snapper. That doesn't seem like the type of fire we've come to expect from New England. It's safe to assume that these guys have a plan, because they always seem to be one step ahead, but this time it's awfully hard to believe it. Did all the controversy, hype, and perpetual attention finally catch up with the Patriots to the point that they finally burned out?

Uh oh...and did i see that the Colts are looking at Moss? Oh boy!

This is kind of dumb. Everyone knew Stallworth was gone and the pats didn't want him back. He was the number 4 receiver. Everybody knew Samuel was gone and he won't be nearly as good on another team. The only reason why he was so good on the pats was because the front of the defense was so strong and they let Samuel play on his own side 100% of the time. He played off the strengths of the defense and he was hardly thrown to all year. On a weaker defense he will be exposed, especially if he's forced to cover the other teams' best receivers 100% of the time.

The talk about Dallas, Indy, and other teams are being stoked up by reporters that don't know whats going on so they're just making up rumors to report. There's nothing to suggest that Indy will sign him and they probably don't have the cap room anyways. The gist of what i've read basically said, "why not," but there's no foundations to the rumor. Now they're saying he wants to sign with Daunte Culpepper. Haha okay, so Indy is going to sign Daunte Culpepper now right? Maybe they'll even make Peyton play second string.

Plus, whoever this guy got his facts wrong. Kevin Faulk was cleared days ago for passing a drug test. There will be no suspension.

Moss is fucking himself over. The longer this goes on the less money will be out there for him and this Daunte Culpepper strategy is mind-baffling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:25 am 
AnalLog

invention wrote:
This is kind of dumb.

:haha:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:37 pm 
Got Some

:wave: Randall Gay.... is Eugene Wilson next? The Pats secondary is being picked apart!

"I'd satisfy the ladies by any means necessary." Dr. Hibbert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:04 pm 
AnalLog

Malcolm Sex wrote:
:wave: Randall Gay.... is Eugene Wilson next? The Pats secondary is being picked apart!

randall gay was the nickel corner, eugene was the 5th safety/4th corner. not big losses by any stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:11 pm 
Supersonic

merriweather will step up this year, as long as he starts catching balls. he should have had around 5 picks last season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:19 pm 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
Malcolm Sex wrote:

randall gay was the nickel corner, eugene was the 5th safety/4th corner. not big losses by any stretch.

I know where they fell on the depth chart, but any time you lose a third of your secondary in a week, it's not a good sign. As for Merriweather, the jury is still out on him, is he going to be able to be a starting corner? If the season started today what would be the starting secondary? Hobbs/Merriweather at the corners and Harrison/Sanders at safety? How do you feel about that?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:23 pm 
Supersonic

Malcolm Sex wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Malcolm Sex wrote:

I know where they fell on the depth chart, but any time you lose a third of your secondary in a week, it's not a good sign. As for Merriweather, the jury is still out on him, is he going to be able to be a starting corner? If the season started today what would be the starting secondary? Hobbs/Merriweather at the corners and Harrison/Sanders at safety? How do you feel about that?

I think I'd be okay with that. I think its almost certain that they'll add Ty Law in some kind of a support role as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 pm 
AnalLog

invention wrote:
merriweather will step up this year, as long as he starts catching balls. he should have had around 5 picks last season.

given a defined role, and consistent reps from one position, i think he'll be better than asante was at that point in his career.

its amazing to me that the pats let ty law walk in '05 with only asante, ty poole and hank poteat on the roster at corner. the pats then drafted ellis hobbs in the 3rd round, signed chad scott and randall gay and traded for duane starks.

now the pats only have meriweather, hobbs, mike richardson, antwan spann and willie andrews under contract at corner for this coming season. in appearances (on paper) they're actually better off than they were after the '04-'05 season. :haha:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 pm 
AnalLog

invention wrote:
Malcolm Sex wrote:
How do you feel about that?

I think I'd be okay with that.

i'd be willing to give it a shot. I think AT will be a monster next season, so the secondary will just have to not get burned to be suffice.

i mentioned it elsewhere, so i'll put the question here too:

if he's reinstated, would you care if the pats traded a second day pick(s) for pac man jones? i think if it worked out he'd instantly make the pats secondary better than last year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
invention wrote:
Malcolm Sex wrote:
How do you feel about that?

I think I'd be okay with that.

i'd be willing to give it a shot. I think AT will be a monster next season, so the secondary will just have to not get burned to be suffice.

i mentioned it elsewhere, so i'll put the question here too:

if he's reinstated, would you care if the pats traded a second day pick(s) for pac man jones? i think if it worked out he'd instantly make the pats secondary better than last year.

I would love to see it, Pacman's an electric player and one of the best corners in the league, or at least he was in '06. Who knows what kind of shape ol Pac is in nowadays though.... how's his wrestling career going? :haha: Would Belechick be willing to deal with the constant on/off the field headaches with Pac though? I'd be very surprised if he would, though I was a bit surprised with the signings of Dillon and Moss and we know how well both of them worked out for the Pats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 pm 
Supersonic

POSTED 12:30 p.m. EST, March 3, 2008

MOSS DEAL DONE?

We're picking up preliminary, uncorroborated rumors that receiver Randy Moss has agreed to terms with the Patriots.

Again, this is preliminary. And uncorroborated.

But it's what we're hearing from one of our sources. Stay tuned.

Perhaps the news of Ben Roethlisberger's jaw-dropping deal prompted the Pats to sweeten the pot with Moss having to track down a better offer elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

invention wrote:

MOSS DEAL DONE?

We're picking up preliminary, uncorroborated rumors that receiver Randy Moss has agreed to terms with the Patriots.

Perhaps the news of Ben Roethlisberger's jaw-dropping deal prompted the Pats to sweeten the pot with Moss having to track down a better offer elsewhere.

One of many stories saying the Moss deal is done with that Pats. Tough to believe any of them cause i read the same thing on Friday and then the Culpepper story comes out. I think moss will most likely resign with the Pats but i won't believe any of these rumors until i see a lot more evidence. Plus i'd still like to keep my 1% chance that the colts sign him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:15 pm 
Supersonic

Clubber wrote:
invention wrote:

MOSS DEAL DONE?

One of many stories saying the Moss deal is done with that Pats. Tough to believe any of them cause i read the same thing on Friday and then the Culpepper story comes out. I think moss will most likely resign with the Pats but i won't believe any of these rumors until i see a lot more evidence. Plus i'd still like to keep my 1% chance that the colts sign him.

I think the Culpepper story was BS. It doesn't make any sense at all. I think Culpepper was floating it out there so people would remember he is still alive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

invention wrote:
Clubber wrote:
invention wrote:

MOSS DEAL DONE?

I think the Culpepper story was BS. It doesn't make any sense at all. I think Culpepper was floating it out there so people would remember he is still alive.

Yeah, seems like a negotiating ploy to me. No way Moss would go back to Culpepper after having a QB like Brady this year. I'm sure he wouldn't mind Peyton though 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:47 pm 
Unthought Known

Clubber wrote:
invention wrote:
Clubber wrote:
invention wrote:

MOSS DEAL DONE?

Yeah, seems like a negotiating ploy to me. No way Moss would go back to Culpepper after having a QB like Brady this year. I'm sure he wouldn't mind Peyton though 8)

do the Colts have the cap room to pull this off?

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 154  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports