Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 154  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official New England Patriots Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:51 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Reynaldo Hill would be a great RFA signing. A 7th is hardly anything.

If you're willing to part with a 3rd rounder, the Pats could also go after the Broncos' Domonique Foxworth.

i was thinking of listing him, but figured Hill was the better value for a 7th rounder.

the kid Green in Arizona would be awesome, but he's got a 1st round tender.

I heard they were talking to Robert Horry about picking him up before the season only to run him out on a few plays... you know to guarentee they win a championship :D

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 pm 
AnalLog

Lewis Sanders bitches!!! YYEEE-HHAA!!! this is going to be the greatest secondary in the history of the league!!! :haha:

big ":arrow:" for this post, but seriously, Electro, whatta ya got on this guy? besides what's already in this update: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... ss_pieces/ ... i'm expecting combine/senior bowl type reporting here E-man.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:33 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
Lewis Sanders bitches!!! YYEEE-HHAA!!! this is going to be the greatest secondary in the history of the league!!! :haha:

big ":arrow:" for this post, but seriously, Electro, whatta ya got on this guy? besides what's already in this update: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... ss_pieces/ ... i'm expecting combine/senior bowl type reporting here E-man.

Electro knows his players. I hope he gets a better grade than Webster. :shake:

They're gonna have a camp full of DBs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 pm 
AnalLog

Self Polluted wrote:
Electro knows his players. I hope he gets a better grade than Webster. :shake:

They're gonna have a camp full of DBs.

it sounds like he's a little more versatile (CB & S), as well as a strong special teamer. so he's got many avenues to make the team. not to mention, like webster and tank before him, he's got some issue staying on the field which is why they are all cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:01 am 
AnalLog

patriots.com depth chart wrote:
Offense
Wide Receiver 83 Wes Welker 10 Jabar Gaffney 17 Chad Jackson
Left Tackle 72 Matt Light 65 Wesley Britt
Left Guard 70 Logan Mankins 71 Russ Hochstein 74 Billy Yates
Center 67 Dan Koppen 71 Russ Hochstein
Right Guard 61 Stephen Neal 71 Russ Hochstein 74 Billy Yates
Right Tackle 77 Nick Kaczur 68 Ryan O'Callaghan
Tight End 84 Benjamin Watson 86 David Thomas 82 Stephen Spach
Wide Receiver 81 Randy Moss 15 Kelley Washington Sam Aiken
19 C.J. Jones
Quarterback 12 Tom Brady 16 Matt Cassel 7 Matt Gutierrez
Running Back 39 Laurence Maroney 34 Sammy Morris 33 Kevin Faulk
Fullback 44 Heath Evans 38 Kyle Eckel
Defense
Left Defensive End 94 Ty Warren 90 Le Kevin Smith 92 Santonio Thomas
Nose Tackle 75 Vince Wilfork 95 Rashad Moore
Right Defensive End 93 Richard Seymour 97 Jarvis Green
Outside Linebacker 50 Mike Vrabel 58 Pierre Woods
Inside Linebacker 52 Eric Alexander
Inside Linebacker 54 Tedy Bruschi 53 Larry Izzo
Outside Linebacker 96 Adalius Thomas T.J. Slaughter
Left Cornerback Jason Webster Lewis Sanders 25 Tim Mixon
35 Mike Richardson
Right Cornerback 27 Ellis Hobbs 31 Brandon Meriweather 28 Antwain Spann
Strong Safety 37 Rodney Harrison 23 Willie Andrews Tank Williams
41 Ray Ventrone
Free Safety 36 James Sanders 31 Brandon Meriweather

updated Depth Chart:

interesting things in the secondary and at receiver. still waiting on some ILB help (Seward?)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:19 pm 
Unthought Known

Another DB. :|

ESPN wrote:
Patriots agree to one-year deal with Bryant

The Patriots, down two cornerbacks because of free agency hits, reached agreement with another veteran, Fernando Bryant, to give them a competitive stable of coverage players.

Bryant, who turns 31 next week, reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Patriots on Thursday morning. Bryant joins Jason Webster and Lewis Sanders as players who signed one-year deals to compete for a starting job with a Super Bowl contender.

The Patriots lost cornerbacks Asante Samuel to the Eagles and Randall Gay to the Saints. They also lost Eugene Wilson to Tampa Bay. Wilson was drafted as a cornerback but finished his Patriots career as a safety.

Bryant was a first-round pick of the Jaguars in 1999 and he goes to the Patriots with plenty of experience. The 5-foot-11, 175-pounder had 109 career starts for the Jaguars and Lions. He spent the last four years in Detroit, starting 38 games. He was released at the start of free agency.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:52 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:

:haha:
This is kind of hilarious all those ex Falcons in the secondary. Sanders is quality depth. They obviously are going for a lot of average but experienced professional players. Not spending a ton of money to have players that tackle well and don't generally give up the big play. (Bend don't break) They'll infuriate you on 3rd and 15 when you think you're getting the ball back but I think given the offense and their ability to score combined with thier ability to move the ball I think they are counting on a veteran rotation to keep them fresh and yet not have to worry about coaching some rookie that will be out of position half the time. Expect a ton of zone in the secondary probably an emphasis on pass rush as I think they'll be pretty solid against the run. To their credit Sanders and Webster usually make pretty good tackles. They'll also have a better pass rush.

Miami dosen't have much, I'm not really sure about the Jets but the Bills might be a match up problem if they get someone opposite of Evans who can play. They need the interior of the defense to play stout because they can't afford to walk up safeties and leave any of those guys on an island. The really good news is because of the veteran depth if they draft a Justin King or someone like that later on he'll have good guys to learn from even though you they won't blow you away at all with any kind of athleticism. I'm interested to see how many of these guys make the 53 man roster and where. Start the betting pool on when J Web gets an injury now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:55 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
Start the betting pool on when J Web gets an injury now.

i say he doesn't make the team. but thanks for the analysis, that's what i expected from RM's resident MKS
Spoiler: show
Mel Kiper Sr. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:46 pm 
Got Some

Looks like the Pats might have some interest in Pacman

"I'd satisfy the ladies by any means necessary." Dr. Hibbert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:00 pm 
Got Some

Malcolm Sex wrote:
Looks like the Pats might have some interest in Pacman

I think Pacman's agent and Tennessee Titans want it to look like the Patriots have some interest in him. It could be genuine interest on the Patriots part. They've never taken on a guy like this before but some of the players that people thought would be problems haven't been. But all this could be as simple as Pacman's agent calling the Patriots and saying "Would you be interested in cornerback the caliber of Adam Jones?" And there you go - the Patriots are interested. I think Dallas is all by themselves in this and Pacman and the Titans want to drive the price up a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:42 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

The Patriots would never take him in a million years. There's a difference between someone like Moss who was kind of a dick in the past and Pacman who is a sociopath.
He won't be reinstated anyway so it's a moot point.

This offseason sucks, they have a great chance to win the Super Bowl next year with the weakness of their schedule and they've done nothing about the secondary, LBs or tackles. Fucking clownshoes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:44 pm 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

:haha: :haha: :haha:

J88Ryan everywhere else.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:31 pm 
AnalLog

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... ?page=full

he's the only writer at the globe i can stand to read.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:31 pm 
Force of Nature

EllisEamos wrote:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/05/18/with_belichick_the_cover_up_is_most_revealing/?page=full

he's the only writer at the globe i can stand to read.

He lost me a long time ago with the Jason Kidd wife comments. He's a stiff.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:08 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

An angry Joey Porter thinks the Patriots cheated their way to championships and the NFL's destruction of Spygate tapes suggested the league had something to hide after conducting its investigation.

"They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught," the All-Pro linebacker, who spent eight seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers before joining Miami in free agency last season, said in an interview on "NFL Live."

"Why, if you have nothing to hide, would you destroy [the evidence]? That's how I've looked at it from the beginning. Why destroy something that doesn't have to be destroyed? Let everyone know what was on the tapes. Why would you destroy them so fast?"

The Spygate investigation began after the NFL confiscated tapes from a team employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals in the 2007 season opener. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000; the team was fined $250,000 and forced to forfeit its 2008 first-round draft choice.

Porter called Belichick's fine a "slap on the wrist didn't fit the crime."

Since former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh met earlier this month with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to detail the team's illegal taping of opponents' coaching signals, Belichick has attempted to minimize Spygate's impact.

"They went from zero to 60 overnight and [Belichick] went from a good coach to a great great coach and he got caught cheating," Porter said on "NFL Live."

At a news conference on May 13, Goodell said: "I didn't accept Bill Belichick's explanation for what happened and I still don't to this day."

On May 16, Belichick told the CBS Evening News: "I made a mistake. I was wrong. I was wrong."

After meeting with Walsh, Goodell said of a further investigation: "I don't know where else I would turn, but I reserve the right to review new information if it comes up."

Walsh sent eight tapes to the league that show the Patriots recording the play-calling signals of five opponents in six games between 2000 and 2002, one of which was the 2002 AFC Championship Game that Porter's Steelers lost to New England 24-17.

"If you're to tell me that happened, there's no way I can look at it and feel like I didn't get cheated," Porter said.

Porter also said that NFL players he knows share similar sentiments about the Patriots concerning Spygate.

"Anybody I know that lost to them in big games, they're very upset about it," Porter said.

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:22 am 
AnalLog

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:07 pm 
Unthought Known

That may have bothered me if it was anybody but Joey Porter. I wonder if Parcells is going to give him a straw with that big glass of shut the fuck up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:14 pm 
Unthought Known

Good job, Nick. :shake:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/06/04/patriot_arrested_then_aids_drug_sting?mode=PF

Boston Globe wrote:
Kaczur was accused of buying OxyContin; Secretly helped DEA in indicting supplier

Starting New England Patriots offensive lineman Nicholas Kaczur was arrested in April on a charge of illegal possession of prescription painkillers and then secretly cooperated with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration in a sting operation that resulted in the indictment of his alleged drug supplier, according to a lawyer and two people briefed on the investigation.

Kaczur - a 28-year-old, 315-pound offensive tackle - wore a hidden recording device during three different drug transactions in May at gas stations in Foxborough and North Attleborough and a supermarket parking lot in Sharon, according to the lawyer, the two people, and federal court documents. At each of the three transactions, Kaczur paid $3,900 in cash to buy 100 OxyContin pills, a potent prescription pain reliever.

Federal agents arrested the alleged dealer, Daniel Ekasala, moments after the third transaction with Kaczur, said Ekasala's lawyer. He was indicted by a federal grand jury yesterday on three counts of possession of oxycodone (the main ingredient in the prescription drug OxyContin) with intent to distribute. He is due to be arraigned today in federal court.

Kaczur, approached yesterday afternoon by a Globe reporter as he stood on the front porch of his Attleboro home, denied participating in a DEA investigation or buying drugs. He also said he was not familiar with Ekasala.

"I don't know what you're talking about, bro," Kaczur said repeatedly, in response to questions about the investigation. "I don't know where this is coming from. I don't know what you are talking about."

When asked if he was still playing for the Patriots, Kaczur, whose salary is listed at just under than $1.4 million this year, said, "Yeah."

The sting operation is detailed in a six-page affidavit filed by a DEA special agent in US District Court in Boston. That document makes constant reference to an unnamed cooperating witness, a buyer who was reaching out to the alleged dealer by text message, then meeting with the dealer to exchange cash for drugs.

After Ekasala was indicted yesterday morning, Ekasala's lawyer, Bernard Grossberg of Boston, acknowledged that Kaczur was the cooperating witness in the case. Two other people briefed on the investigation, speaking on the condition of anonymity, also verified that Kaczur was the cooperating witness in the DEA's case. If the case proceeds to trial, Kaczur would probably be required to testify.

Ekasala, Grossberg said yesterday, has himself been asked to cooperate by federal agents, but he has repeatedly rejected their proposal. "He is not cooperating," Grossberg said.

The attorney added that Ekasala was "an extremely reluctant participant and was somewhat enamored of being friendly with or having contact with a professional athlete."

Grossberg said that, according to DEA documents presented to him before the indictment, Kaczur said he had begun buying OxyContin in November 2007 and purchased 100 pills every few days, paying tens of thousands of dollars over time.

"My client was always sympathetic to Mr. Kaczur and suggested to him many times, as the text messages will show, that Kaczur ought not to be doing what he was doing," Grossberg said. "Professional athletes in this country are treated like royalty, and royalty sometimes abuses the people they come in contact with, and I think that's what happened to Ekasala."

Kaczur's previously unreported arrest on drug possession charges, and his role in a DEA investigation, will mark the latest controversy to be faced by the New England Patriots, who suffered an upset defeat in Super Bowl XLII this year, ruining the team's bid for a perfect and unprecedented 19-0 record. The team was penalized at the beginning of the 2007 season for illegally taping hand signals of opponents' defensive coaches. In addition, defensive star Rodney Harrison was suspended for four games during the season for using human growth hormone.

A Patriots spokesman, Stacey James, declined to comment on Kaczur yesterday, saying, "We're deferring all questions on this matter to the appropriate law enforcement officials." His brief remark left it unclear whether the Patriots were aware of Kaczur's arrest and his role in a federal drug case.

He said Kaczur remains a member of the team.

The Patriots added another offensive lineman to the team Monday, free agent Oliver Ross, who is expected to play right tackle, Kaczur's position.

Vance Malinovic, Kaczur's agent, said last night that he was not prepared to talk about Kaczur's situation. "Right now, I have no comment," he said.

An NFL spokesman, Greg Aiello, said last night that misusing prescription drugs is a violation of the league's substance-abuse policies and that players face escalating sanctions for repeated violations.

Aiello declined to speak directly to the case involving Kaczur. "It's a law enforcement matter, and any questions should be directed to the appropriate law enforcement agencies," he said.

Assistant US Attorney Brian T. Kelly declined to comment yesterday on the investigation or Kaczur's role as a cooperating witness, but reacted to Grossberg's suggestion that Kaczur's star power pulled a reluctant Ekasala into the drug business.

"The crazy fan defense doesn't seem real plausible, but it will be up to a jury to decide," Kelly said.

Kaczur, who was drafted by the Patriots in the third round in 2005 and started 15 games last year, began cooperating shortly after he was arrested the morning of April 27 in New York by State Police who stopped him for speeding and found a small amount of oxycodone in his car, authorities said.

Kaczur was driving 76 miles an hour in a 65-mile-per-hour zone on the New York State Thruway in Whitestown when police pulled him over and discovered a "small amount of controlled substance for which he did not have a prescription," according to New York State Police Sergeant Kern Swoboda. The trooper identified the substance as oxycodone and said Kaczur was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, which is a misdemeanor.

According to the records filed in federal court, the first transaction that the DEA orchestrated between Kaczur and Ekasala occurred May 1. It was for 100 OxyContin pills, at a cost of $3,900. That was followed by another transaction on May 6 for the same number of pills and then the final one on May 13.

Unbeknownst to Ekasala, the affidavits said, Kaczur was wearing a recording device, and their words and movements were monitored by DEA agents.

Kaczur has told authorities that he had been buying oxycodone from Ekasala every few days in batches of a hundred since November 2007, the middle of the Patriots season, according to Grossberg, who said that information is contained in DEA reports. That time frame would include the Patriots' playoff run and their 2008 Super Bowl appearance.

But, Grossberg accused Kaczur of "puffery," insisting he was inflating the amount of drugs he bought to make it seem as if he had more to offer authorities and get himself out of any legal trouble. Grossberg described his client as a young, middle-class father of twins.

Kaczur - a native of Brantford, Ontario - worked construction for two years after high school and in 2001 earned a scholarship to the University of Toledo, where he became the first four-time, All-Mid American Conference player in school history.

Dr. Alex Stalcup, a Lafayette, Calif., doctor who says he is treating current and former NFL players for chronic pain issues, said that using powerful pain-killers can help players get through one more Sunday, but at a terrible risk to themselves and their futures.

"If your pain is so great you just can't move your muscles and you're just absolutely in agony and you have to play today, you can take an opiate that will prevent the pain." he said in a phone interview. ". . . But you will pay a high price for it."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:03 pm 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

Typical Bitch Ass Boston move.

J88Ryan everywhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:31 pm 
Got Some

J38ryan wrote:
Typical Bitch Ass Boston move.

What a surprise J :roll:

Kaczur is a dumbass, no one likes a rat...

"I'd satisfy the ladies by any means necessary." Dr. Hibbert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 154  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports