Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Reissued
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:41 pm
Posts: 23014
Location: NOT FLO-RIDIN
Gender: Male
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Says the Tampa fan.


Not entirely sure what rooting for Tampa has to do with wearing another team's cap after your first losing season in what, ten years? fifteen years? It was 97, right? Loyalty, man. I fucking love it.

_________________
given2trade wrote:
Oh, you think I'm being douchey? Well I shall have to re-examine everything then. Thanks brah.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
wearing another teams hat has nothing to do with with what kind of fan you are. I love baseball hats I've always had other teams' hats. When I'm not staying up until 1:30am watching a terrible team that has no chance of making the playoffs lose by 10, then you can question my fandom.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
Yeah what Mick said. It's a tongue in cheek protest for me. It makes me sick to put on the Sox cap not because we're losing, but because of how everything is happening. So I bought a Nationals cap, why the fuck not?

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah what Mick said. It's a tongue in cheek protest for me. It makes me sick to put on the Sox cap not because we're losing, but because of how everything is happening. So I bought a Nationals cap, why the fuck not?


I have a Jays hat that doesn't fit properly and an Expos hat I wear all the time that desperately needs to be replaced. I won't wear a hat of another active team, but I applaud anyone who turns on the Sox. :lol:

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
I really thought Bailey was going to blow it there.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
I was shocked he didn't blow it. I kind of wanted them to use aceves to close just for te comedy factor.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
Good times. :)

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:28 pm
Posts: 2573
Location: CT
Quote:
Boston Red Sox Could Be on the Block
By Charlie Gasparino
Published September 13, 2012
FOXBusiness

The owners of the Boston Red Sox are mulling a potential sale of the storied baseball franchise, and have even begun quietly shopping the team to potential buyers, the FOX Business Network has learned.

The team is owned by the Fenway Sports Group, which also owns the English football team Liverpool FC. While no final decision has been made about a potential sale, and the talks appear to be in the early stages, executives at Fenway Sports are debating whether they have the financial resources to run both teams, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.

The Red Sox have publicly denied that they are for sale. Reached Thursday, a spokesperson for the team said of the potential sale that “there is no truth to that rumor.” However, there has been talk for some time that the team is informally gauging interest in the club.

The price tag eyed for any potential sale would be a steep one, according to people who have spoke with Red Sox management: $1.3 billion. Forbes cites the value of the Red Sox at around $1 billion.

Financier John Henry is the principle owner of Fenway Sports, which bought the Red Sox in 2002 and produced immediate results, winning the World Series in 2004 and 2007. But the last two seasons have been dismal ones for the team, plagued by injuries and overpaid talent.

Recently, the team unloaded a slew of underperforming players, saving as much as $250 million through 2018.

Also likely weighing on the consideration to sell the team is the poor performance of Henry’s investment company, John Henry & Co. this year, these people say. The firm, which specializes in the futures market, has had a volatile year, with funds such as his Global Analytics losing nearly 16% this year, according to the company’s website.

But according to people with direct knowledge of the matter, the biggest challenge for Henry is running two expensive sports franchises. Fenway Sports purchased the Liverpool team for $476 million in 2010, and has been widely criticized for overpaying for players who have under-delivered.

In fact, Henry recently wrote an open letter to Liverpool fans, vowing not to overspend on talent in the future, but stating his commitment to keeping the team.

By weighing a sale of the Red Sox, Henry could devote more resources to the Liverpool team. Also, unloading Liverpool is considered more difficult compared with a franchise with the name recognition of the Red Sox, despite its lousy 2012 season.

Fenway also owns 80% of the New England Sports Network, where the Red Sox games are aired, as well as the Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League. It's unclear how the sports network would factor into any deal.

In fact, people close to executives inside Fenway say management has been increasingly focused not on the Red Sox, but on the future of the Liverpool team.

If NESN was included in a full auction of the Red Sox, the ball club could fetch $1.5 billion to $1.6 billion, said one person intimately involved in financing sports deals.

"The Red Sox are one of the premier franchises in all of sports. I don’t think it would be very hard to sell the team. You would have many, many bidders," the source said.

In addition to saving on payroll, the fire sale of Red Sox talent earlier this season also makes the franchise a "more attractive asset," allowing a new owner to "recast the team the way he wants," the source said.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
shinkdew wrote:
Quote:
Boston Red Sox Could Be on the Block
By Charlie Gasparino
Published September 13, 2012
FOXBusiness

The owners of the Boston Red Sox are mulling a potential sale of the storied baseball franchise, and have even begun quietly shopping the team to potential buyers, the FOX Business Network has learned.

The team is owned by the Fenway Sports Group, which also owns the English football team Liverpool FC. While no final decision has been made about a potential sale, and the talks appear to be in the early stages, executives at Fenway Sports are debating whether they have the financial resources to run both teams, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.

The Red Sox have publicly denied that they are for sale. Reached Thursday, a spokesperson for the team said of the potential sale that “there is no truth to that rumor.” However, there has been talk for some time that the team is informally gauging interest in the club.

The price tag eyed for any potential sale would be a steep one, according to people who have spoke with Red Sox management: $1.3 billion. Forbes cites the value of the Red Sox at around $1 billion.

Financier John Henry is the principle owner of Fenway Sports, which bought the Red Sox in 2002 and produced immediate results, winning the World Series in 2004 and 2007. But the last two seasons have been dismal ones for the team, plagued by injuries and overpaid talent.

Recently, the team unloaded a slew of underperforming players, saving as much as $250 million through 2018.

Also likely weighing on the consideration to sell the team is the poor performance of Henry’s investment company, John Henry & Co. this year, these people say. The firm, which specializes in the futures market, has had a volatile year, with funds such as his Global Analytics losing nearly 16% this year, according to the company’s website.

But according to people with direct knowledge of the matter, the biggest challenge for Henry is running two expensive sports franchises. Fenway Sports purchased the Liverpool team for $476 million in 2010, and has been widely criticized for overpaying for players who have under-delivered.

In fact, Henry recently wrote an open letter to Liverpool fans, vowing not to overspend on talent in the future, but stating his commitment to keeping the team.

By weighing a sale of the Red Sox, Henry could devote more resources to the Liverpool team. Also, unloading Liverpool is considered more difficult compared with a franchise with the name recognition of the Red Sox, despite its lousy 2012 season.

Fenway also owns 80% of the New England Sports Network, where the Red Sox games are aired, as well as the Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League. It's unclear how the sports network would factor into any deal.

In fact, people close to executives inside Fenway say management has been increasingly focused not on the Red Sox, but on the future of the Liverpool team.

If NESN was included in a full auction of the Red Sox, the ball club could fetch $1.5 billion to $1.6 billion, said one person intimately involved in financing sports deals.

"The Red Sox are one of the premier franchises in all of sports. I don’t think it would be very hard to sell the team. You would have many, many bidders," the source said.

In addition to saving on payroll, the fire sale of Red Sox talent earlier this season also makes the franchise a "more attractive asset," allowing a new owner to "recast the team the way he wants," the source said.


I want to say I would be shocked if they were sold, but I don't really think anything about this team would shock me anymore.

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
as much as I loathe the current owners, given what it would cost to buy the Red Sox, we'd probably be looking at a conglomerate buying the team I would think, which is worse than what we have now, so I'll stick with the three blind mice.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:40 pm 
Offline
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:09 pm
Posts: 9363
Location: Manhattan Beach California
Valentine Gone?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 pm
Posts: 10620
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male
April 2012 post


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Let the good times roll.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
Well, there goes Bobby V and here come the endless rumours about the Sox acquiring John Farrell.

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:04 am
Posts: 12383
Gender: Male
Based on the reports - and that he was compared to Joe Maddon - I was hoping Brad Ausmus was gonna get the job.

_________________
RIP Mr. Dirty Frank


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
Coach wrote:
Based on the reports - and that he was compared to Joe Maddon - I was hoping Brad Ausmus was gonna get the job.


Yeah, I don't know about Farrell... I'm actually a fan of him, but he definitely made some strange moves over the course of a season.

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
ya im not thrilled with this move. I wanted Ausmus also, I just wanted someone who has had nothing to do with the Red Sox over the last 5 years. I guess it's good they hired a manager before december though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:04 am
Posts: 12383
Gender: Male
Welp. Go Red Sox.

_________________
RIP Mr. Dirty Frank


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:28 pm