Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 237  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:34 am 
AnalLog

well sure, not at $40/4, but i guess boras will be boras.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:37 am 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
well sure, not at $40/4, but i guess boras will be boras.

I think that probably has more to do with it than the actual asking price. With any other agent there would be room for negotiation. Hell some GM's are probably steering clear of him because they're afraid that they'll somehow ending up signing Kyle Lohse to a 5 year $60 million contract.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:56 am 
AnalLog

tru.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:02 pm 
Stone's Bitch

ms11781 wrote:
I was reading somewhere today (Herald or Globe, can't remember which) and it said Bucholz would be held to a max of 190 innings. If that's the case my guess is that Tavarez or Snyder gets the nod in the 5 spot and Clay starts the year in AAA where they can pull in after 4 or 5 innings regardless of the score. What also leads me to believe this is that they offered Odalis Perez a contract before he signed elsewhere today. I would think if they thought Clay was going to be in the rotation from Opening Day they wouldn't be bothering with guys like Odalis Perez.

Odalis Perez? Man are the Red Sox picking from players on my all-time personal hate list? :haha:

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:03 pm 
Supersonic

Some interesting PECOTA projections...

Lowell: 285/345/437, 14 hr, 79 rbi, 570 PAs
Drew: 267/367/421, 11 hr, 60 rbi, 485 PAs
Pedroia: 295/361/430, 10 hr, 70 rbi, 616 PAs
Ellsbury: 287/346/395, 5 hr, 52 rbi, 32 sb, 590 PAs
Crisp: 278/338/407, 8 hr, 53 rbi, 19 sb, 549 PAs

Buchholz: 131 IP, 4.08 era, 1.35 whip, 119 k, 56 bb
Lester: 129 IP, 4.93 era, 1.56 whip, 92 k, 65 bb
Beckett: 205 IP, 3.64 era, 1.22 whip, 176 k, 60 bb
Matsuzaka: 191 IP, 3.90 era, 1.29 whip, 170 k, 67 bb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53 pm 
AnalLog

Mitchell wrote:
Some interesting PECOTA projections...

Lowell: 285/345/437, 14 hr, 79 rbi, 570 PAs
#7: 267/367/421, 11 hr, 60 rbi, 485 PAs
Pedroia: 295/361/430, 10 hr, 70 rbi, 616 PAs
Ellsbury: 287/346/395, 5 hr, 52 rbi, 32 sb, 590 PAs
Crisp: 278/338/407, 8 hr, 53 rbi, 19 sb, 549 PAs

Buchholz: 131 IP, 4.08 era, 1.35 whip, 119 k, 56 bb
Lester: 129 IP, 4.93 era, 1.56 whip, 92 k, 65 bb
Beckett: 205 IP, 3.64 era, 1.22 whip, 176 k, 60 bb
Matsuzaka: 191 IP, 3.90 era, 1.29 whip, 170 k, 67 bb

should be a fun year!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:45 pm 
AnalLog

b/c of his customary baggy uniform i always forget how jacked manny is... that said, you'd think he'd work the "core" a little bit more:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:21 pm 
Unthought Known

:haha:

The "core" is a tough one. Lot's of blood, sweat and tears go into gettin' rid of that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:43 am 
AnalLog

who ya got?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:07 am 
Unthought Known

If I had to choose, I guess Ellsbury. The kid is lightning on the bases and is pretty decent in the field and at the plate.

Scoring from second on a passed ball at Fenway? I don't think I'll forget that one too soon.

I know the sample size is small, but Coco hasn't exactly lit it up, even with the great plays in the field.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:01 am 
AnalLog

Self Polluted wrote:
If I had to choose, I guess Ellsbury. The kid is lightning on the bases and is pretty decent in the field and at the plate.

Scoring from second on a passed ball at Fenway? I don't think I'll forget that one too soon.

I know the sample size is small, but Coco hasn't exactly lit it up, even with the great plays in the field.

for what its worth, coco was rated the best centerfielder in baseball last year. not to mention he should contribute slightly less than ellsbury would over the course of this season. now i'm all in favor of trading coco, but i think its apparent that teams don't want to give up anything significant for him (and the sox already gave up too much in acquiring him originally).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:32 am 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
Self Polluted wrote:

for what its worth, coco was rated the best centerfielder in baseball last year. not to mention he should contribute slightly less than ellsbury would over the course of this season. now i'm all in favor of trading coco, but i think its apparent that teams don't want to give up anything significant for him (and the sox already gave up too much in acquiring him originally).

I think they need to trade him. Ellsbury has to start and Crisp has made public statements alluding to the fact that he does not want to play off of the bench. They don't need this distraction. They already have one Schilling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:43 am 
Got Some

invention wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Self Polluted wrote:

I think they need to trade him. Ellsbury has to start and Crisp has made public statements alluding to the fact that he does not want to play off of the bench. They don't need this distraction. They already have one Schilling.

Agreed. He made comments yesterday that he doesn't want to be a "cheerleader". He's certainly not going to make Theo's job any easier by making comments like that. I expect more of Francona saying that Ellsbury will have to take the job from Coco but I think every other GM in the league sees through that smoke screen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:45 am 
AnalLog

my point was more suggesting that coco should keep the job and start the season as the everyday CF. #7 isn't the most durable guy and jacoby would do fine off the bench for a little while. somebody will need outfield help more than the sox (if all sox outfield starters stay healthy), so just start him, keep him happy and move him when he's worth more to somebody else.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:39 am 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:
my point was more suggesting that coco should keep the job and start the season as the everyday CF. #7 isn't the most durable guy and jacoby would do fine off the bench for a little while. somebody will need outfield help more than the sox (if all sox outfield starters stay healthy), so just start him, keep him happy and move him when he's worth more to somebody else.

I'm all for this if they decide that they'd be better off with him in CF instead of Ellsbury. But I don't think they should give him the job just to keep him happy if they think Ellsbury will be better this year. I think that is the only question right now. Of course they think Ellsbury is the centerfielder of the future. The question is do they think the future is now? If they believe so then they should do everything they can to move Coco as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:49 am 
Supersonic

ms11781 wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

I'm all for this if they decide that they'd be better off with him in CF instead of Ellsbury. But I don't think they should give him the job just to keep him happy if they think Ellsbury will be better this year. I think that is the only question right now. Of course they think Ellsbury is the centerfielder of the future. The question is do they think the future is now? If they believe so then they should do everything they can to move Coco as soon as possible.

The only sense in starting Crisp is if they plan on trading him soon. He has far less value as a 4th outfielder, but if they play him to start the season and he sucks as usual than his value will drop anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 pm 
AnalLog

invention wrote:
his value will drop anyways.

or he could come out, play his usual stellar D and contribute his usual numbers from the plate (which aren't far off from jacoby's PROJECTED stats). i don't think he's gonna get any more valuable to anyone unless somebody gets hurt (i'm looking at you cinci), otherwise all he'll be doing is lowering the price tag the sox have for him currently.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:32 pm 
AnalLog

sonsofsamhorn.com wrote:
new left field section is almost finished
no coke bottles
new right field section almost finished
now there are 48 days until the home openner
the new restaurant is coming along (i guess)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:37 pm 
Unthought Known

how do they get a giant crane inside the stadium? Is there a big door somewhere?

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:13 pm 
AnalLog

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
how do they get a giant crane inside the stadium? Is there a big door somewhere?

there are garage doors in centerfield, so maybe they bring the machine in piece-by-piece. another idea could be to use a bigger crane to lift the pieces over the walls from the street. i only suggest it b/c they've cut the tops of the light towers to make room for cranes from outside the stadium to access the left & right field sections.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 237  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports