Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What current MLB players are locks for the Hall Of Fame?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:48 pm 
Got Some

PhilPritchard wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
To look at it another way, if Halladay retired after last season, is he in? Or even with one more season under his belt?

Again, I would say he's close right now, but I know that's at least partially because I want him to get it.

His stats are actually fairly similar to Oswalt and Hudson, but he still compares favourably to them in pretty much every single category. Halladay also has a pair of Cy Young awards and finished 2nd in the voting twice, which certainly helps his case.

Having a perfect game and a postseason no-hitter on his resume are also big pluses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mray10 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
To look at it another way, if Halladay retired after last season, is he in? Or even with one more season under his belt?

Again, I would say he's close right now, but I know that's at least partially because I want him to get it.

His stats are actually fairly similar to Oswalt and Hudson, but he still compares favourably to them in pretty much every single category. Halladay also has a pair of Cy Young awards and finished 2nd in the voting twice, which certainly helps his case.

Having a perfect game and a postseason no-hitter on his resume are also big pluses.

I don't think it's that big of a plus. It's only 1 game, respectively.

Dennis Martinez pitched a perfect game. He doesn't gets HOF votes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 pm 
Supersonic

homersheineken wrote:
mray10 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

Actually, he got 16 of them. :)

I get your point, but Martinez has the perfect game in addition to being a good pitcher for 20+ years... he doesn't really have a whole lot, other than a lot of wins, to back it up. Halladay does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

PhilPritchard wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
mray10 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

I get your point, but Martinez has the perfect game in addition to being a good pitcher for 20+ years... he doesn't really have a whole lot, other than a lot of wins, to back it up. Halladay does.

Touche, 16 HOF votes is money. 8)

It'll be the other factors that get Halladay in, though. Ironically Martinez has 245 wins, which is basically what everyone is saying Halladay needs. Obviously Halladay was much more dominant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:36 pm 
Supersonic

homersheineken wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
homersheineken wrote:
mray10 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

Touche, 16 HOF votes is money. 8)

It'll be the other factors that get Halladay in, though. Ironically Martinez has 245 wins, which is basically what everyone is saying Halladay needs. Obviously Halladay was much more dominant.

Yeah, for sure. If Halladay pitches as long as Martinez did (which would be about 10 more years) then 300 is a realistic target. I doubt he keeps going that long, but you never know.

Here's my prediction: Halladay finishes his contract with Philly without winning the World Series, re-signs with the burgeoning Blue Jays in his late 30's and helps them win the World Series in his final season. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Let's say he wallows around for 3 years and averages 11 per year....

Jamie Moyer??

What if he's a couple short?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:53 pm 
Supersonic

homersheineken wrote:
Let's say he wallows around for 3 years and averages 11 per year....

Jamie Moyer??

What if he's a couple short?

Peak vs. longevity, I guess. Personally, I think Halladay has been good enough for long enough to get in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:16 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

You know who is a lock Pudge Rodriguez Andy Pettite. Meguel Tejada. ONe Day Rafael Palmerio. and of course the easily forgotten Bernie Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
AnalLog

i dont think there's anyway palmeiro makes it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:30 pm 
Supersonic

resonance of distance wrote:
You know who is a lock Pudge Rodriguez Andy Pettite. Meguel Tejada. ONe Day Rafael Palmerio. and of course the easily forgotten Bernie Williams.

Rodriguez will, Pettitte might (he reminds me of the Dennis Martinez discussion we just had, only he played for the best team in the league). Tejada and Palmeiro probably won't because of steroid stuff, and Williams shouldn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:29 pm 
Supersonic

Longevity + playing for the Yankees does not alone = HOF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:44 pm 
Supersonic

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Longevity + playing for the Yankees does not alone = HOF

Williams is like a slightly worse, center field version of John Olerud.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:01 pm 
On the bright side

Yeah, not sure Bernie Williams makes it in. Although he could get some votes that may otherwise have gone to 'roid users. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:11 pm 
Supersonic

Rebar wrote:
Yeah, not sure Bernie Williams makes it in. Although he could get some votes that may otherwise have gone to 'roid users. Thoughts?

I didn't realize he was eligible last year until just now. I'm pretty happy to see he got just under 10%... if he gets in then the bar will have been significantly lowered.

I've always like him in spite of his Yankeeness, but if he had played for any other team there wouldn't even be discussion about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:52 am 
Interweb Celebrity

I don't think there's any way Bernie Williams gets in.

I also don't think Pettitte gets in. There's really no reason why he should make it in over a guy like Mike Mussina, who also probably won't get in.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 am 
Supersonic

corduroy_blazer wrote:
I don't think there's any way Bernie Williams gets in.

I also don't think Pettitte gets in. There's really no reason why he should make it in over a guy like Mike Mussina, who also probably won't get in.

I'm not saying it's fair, but I'm guessing playoff performance will play a role there. Mussina's playoff numbers are better (aside from the all-mighty wins), but Pettitte won four rings and was considered an integral member of the Yankees every year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:18 pm 
Reissued

Maybe this has been brought up already, but you gotta think Verlander has a case--maybe not yet, but if he's even average for the rest of his career, he'll get a serious look. He's 29 with over 100 wins already, two no-hitters, a triple crown, MVP, and a Cy Young. If he pitches until he's 38 and wins even just twelve games a year, he'll be closing in on 250 wins.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm 
a joke

Mickey wrote:
Maybe this has been brought up already, but you gotta think Verlander has a case--maybe not yet, but if he's even average for the rest of his career, he'll get a serious look. He's 29 with over 100 wins already, two no-hitters, a triple crown, MVP, and a Cy Young. If he pitches until he's 38 and wins even just twelve games a year, he'll be closing in on 250 wins.

I think it's just a couple years too early to talk about him, but yeah, he could easily be at 150 by the time he's 31, with a lot of strikeouts and the awards you mentioned, and the all important "considered the best of his era in his league" thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 pm 
Unthought Known

Pettite is NOT a hall of famer, he was never the best pitcher on his own team, let alone one of the best in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:31 am 
Supersonic

Skitch Patterson wrote:
the all important "considered the best of his era in his league" thing.

I like this argument when it's used right, and for the last few years it definitely defines Verlander.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports