Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: College Football Conference Realignments/Postseason Ideas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:47 pm 
a joke

darth_vedder wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
I feel pretty confident in saying that ND will not agree to full membership in the ACC (IE Football)

They really truely believe that they are better than everyone else and that their football shortcomings are strictly due to academic standards. (pipe down Stanford)

I think it's likely. I mean, their NBC contract runs out in 2015...Are we so sure NBC will renew? The team has sucked for like 20 years now, who gives a shit about them? I think this happens. Time will tell though.

I still don't think, despite all these rumors and speculation, that Notre Dame ends up anywhere other than the Big Ten. They will lose every rival they have while playing all their road games a thousand miles away from their campus (which is expensive, and hurts their ability to "travel"). It wouldn't make sense geographically, financially, or in terms of tradition (which is all they have at this point.) for Notre Dame to go anywhere else.

having said all that, how much of this has made any sense?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:46 pm 
Administrator

http://outkickthecoverage.com/sec-accid ... to-sec.php

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:05 pm 
statistically insignificant

Does Missouri or Texas A&M actually expect to contend in the SEC?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:10 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

It's not always about winning, Kris.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:10 pm 
Unthought Known

Skitch Patterson wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
I feel pretty confident in saying that ND will not agree to full membership in the ACC (IE Football)

They really truely believe that they are better than everyone else and that their football shortcomings are strictly due to academic standards. (pipe down Stanford)

I think it's likely. I mean, their NBC contract runs out in 2015...Are we so sure NBC will renew? The team has sucked for like 20 years now, who gives a shit about them? I think this happens. Time will tell though.

I still don't think, despite all these rumors and speculation, that Notre Dame ends up anywhere other than the Big Ten. They will lose every rival they have while playing all their road games a thousand miles away from their campus (which is expensive, and hurts their ability to "travel"). It wouldn't make sense geographically, financially, or in terms of tradition (which is all they have at this point.) for Notre Dame to go anywhere else.

having said all that, how much of this has made any sense?

The Big 10 definitely makes more sense. Why are they so reluctant to join? Like you said, proximity and rivalries are already there, seems like it should be a no brainer.

Having said that, it seems like they are really intrigued by the ACC, and all the rumors seem to be saying that is where they end up. Who knows? For me, I wouldn't mind it b/c I'd love to have more football school join the conference. Or, if (and it's a big if) Clemson gets in invite to the SEC, I'd be all for that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:14 pm 
statistically insignificant

washing machine wrote:
It's not always about winning, Kris.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:15 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

You get me, friend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:50 pm 
Stone's Bitch

thodoks wrote:

Not really, but it won't be too much different than the Big 12. It might take a few years to get SEC-type talent, but both schools will probably be bowl eligible most years with the occasional 10 win season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:57 pm 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Not really, but it won't be too much different than the Big 12. It might take a few years to get SEC-type talent, but both schools will probably be bowl eligible most years with the occasional 10 win season.

They'll both compete well in the middle half of the SEC. No one can touch Alabama or LSU in the country right now. Unfair to expect it. They can beat anyone else though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:11 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Electromatic wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
thodoks wrote:

They'll both compete well in the middle half of the SEC. No one can touch Alabama or LSU in the country right now. Unfair to expect it. They can beat anyone else though.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think either team would be afraid of any other teams besides LSU, Alabama, and maybe Florida. It's not like they're coming from the ACC or Big East. The Big 12 has been one of the top two or three conferences for the past few years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:45 pm 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
thodoks wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think either team would be afraid of any other teams besides LSU, Alabama, and maybe Florida. It's not like they're coming from the ACC or Big East. The Big 12 has been one of the top two or three conferences for the past few years.

Last time Clemson played TAMU, Clemson won. I think the whole "ACC is weaker" argument isn't quite as it seems. I mean, yeah, it's not a power house, but a lot of the guys playing for ACC teams right now were also recruited by SEC schools. Yes, LSU/Bama would pretty much destroy most teams in the ACC, but the middle of the road teams and lower are no better / worse then the ACC teams like UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, and GA Tech. Put any of those ACC teams up against SCAR, UK, Vandy, Auburn (this year), UT, Florida, and I don't see a whole lot of difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Stone's Bitch

darth_vedder wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Last time Clemson played TAMU, Clemson won. I think the whole "ACC is weaker" argument isn't quite as it seems. I mean, yeah, it's not a power house, but a lot of the guys playing for ACC teams right now were also recruited by SEC schools. Yes, LSU/Bama would pretty much destroy most teams in the ACC, but the middle of the road teams and lower are no better / worse then the ACC teams like UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, and GA Tech. Put any of those ACC teams up against SCAR, UK, Vandy, Auburn (this year), UT, Florida, and I don't see a whole lot of difference.

I think it's generally agreed upon that the SEC and Big 12 have consistently been better conferences over the last decade. That's not saying there hasn't been great ACC teams our that every team in the SEC or Big 12 stacks up better. The ACC's lack of success in BCS games isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the conference either (even though it's unfair to determine the strength of the conference based on game each year).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:42 pm 
Administrator

Another weekend, another epic Aggie collapse....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 pm 
Got Some

I have spent a lot of time on Mizzou's campus over the last several years and have caught a fair number of games, they are a legit program and have had some pretty good teams recently. They were too good for the Big 12 and its only a matter of time before Texas and Oklahoma head out too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Green Habit wrote:
Another weekend, another epic Aggie collapse....

Definitely a season changer for Mizzou. They've been on the losing end of those type of games more often than not in their history. Great game. Hopefully the KSU/OU game is just as exciting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:27 pm 
Unthought Known

So Mizzou now leading the SEC Far West division 1-0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 pm 
Administrator

Finally. Congrats on leaving the Big 12 soap opera, Mizzou.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/t ... rence.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:48 pm 
Stone's Bitch

It's about time. Looking forward to some fun road trips in the next few years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:06 pm 
Administrator

Now that Mizzou's move is finally official, I'd like to talk about how the SEC's divisions will be realigned. Auburn has said that it would volunteer to move to the East. However, Alabama opposes that, as they don't want Auburn to gain a recruiting advantage in states like Florida. Bama would prefer that they just send Mizzou to the East, geography be damned.

My preference is to send both Bama and Auburn to the East and move Vanderbilt to the West. The only downside is that traditionally, the East would become a Murderer's Row of divisions. However, given the current state of the East, making this move would actually even things out....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:19 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
My preference is to send both Bama and Auburn to the East and move Vanderbilt to the West. The only downside is that traditionally, the East would become a Murderer's Row of divisions. However, given the current state of the East, making this move would actually even things out....

that doesnt sound like a good idea. LSU would be the only team in the west that has competed for a national championship in the last few decades. compared to Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida in the west (and moving Vandy out to boot!). no way.

Auburn would be fine. addinf Missouri would be ok with me. compared to the absurd travel that other conferences have to endure, the geography difference is no big deal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports