Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:13 pm 
In a van down by the river

Mitchell613 wrote:
bah, spare me. leave the forum then.

baseball is the best sport in america, bar none.

sorry, was here long before you, and sadly, probably long after, so i think ill stick around

baseball is by no means the best sport, bar none, that is just your opinion, and you are entitled to said opinion, no matter how much ass it smells like

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:20 pm 
Unthought Known

Mitchell613 wrote:
baseball is the best sport in america, bar none.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good one!!!

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" - Albert Schweitzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:19 pm 
Of Counsel

pjam81373 wrote:
punkdavid wrote:

I don't see how anyone can be in favor of a rule that determines something as important as homefield advantage in the World Series by the winner of a game that the players aren't even playing 100%. The All-Star Game is a photo op and a contract clause to get a bonus, not a competitive game by any stretch. I've seen people try harder at a company picnic, and making home field advantage in the World Series at stake isn't going to make the players on the Royals and Brewers try any harder either.

--PunkDavid

I think it’s the best rule. You can't use best record b/c the teams don't compete against the same teams. If the Cardinals had to play the Yankees or Redsox 20 times this season they may not have won as many games. Alternating back and forth is just plain stupid. Do really think players aren't trying 100% when they're playing? I don't. What do you think Barry Bonds isn’t trying to hit HR's and the pitchers aren't trying equally as hard to strike him out? These guys have a ton of pride. Exhibition or not nobody wants to look bad.

Why is alternating back and forth "just plain stupid"? It worked for 90 years. I agree that it should not be based on the best record for the exact reason you cited. I think I made my point about the All-Star game, you don't have to agree. But what is wrong with a method that is completely non-biased, predictable, not rooted in the victory of a single exhibition game involving "teams" of players from different clubs who aren't going to risk a pulled hammy to stretch a single to a double or run down a catcher to score a run (unless you're a fucking asshole like Pete Rose)?

Alternate back and forth, it's just the most fair and sensible.

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:39 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Why not have the home field advantage just go to the team with the best regular season record? That's more fair to me and it credits what the team did for 162 games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:01 pm 
Of Counsel

Athletic Supporter wrote:
Why not have the home field advantage just go to the team with the best regular season record? That's more fair to me and it credits what the team did for 162 games.

pjam81373 wrote:
If the Cardinals had to play the Yankees or Redsox 20 times this season they may not have won as many games.

--PunkDavid

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports