Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:01 pm 
In a van down by the river

Chris_H_2 wrote:
But what does this have to do with Game 7 tonight? I think that is the point people are trying to make.

the point being she/he hates the socks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:01 pm 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:
I'm a life-long Yankee fan, but I won't die if the Yanks don't win tonight. I can appreciate a great series when I see one, like the 2001 Series when the Yanks lost in the bottom of the 9th of game 7 to Arizona.

--PunkDavid

I too can live with it. I love the yanks but I look at what us as fans have gotten through this run that goes back to 95, so many great games, 6 WS appearances and 4 championships, this series, even in defeat would be right up there with the best. I am still predicting a win tonight but I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think I can take another extra inning game though, just too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:04 pm 
Supersonic

Peeps wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
But what does this have to do with Game 7 tonight? I think that is the point people are trying to make.

the point being she/he hates the socks

Ah, got it. I probably would've made my point a different way, but to each his/her own I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:05 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

lets get back to the topic - game 7, not race. thats in the past.

im tired too, and have a huge midterm thursday. i cant do another extra innings game!

from what i see it will be lowe versus brown. BUT, i hear if el duque is ok on three days rest, he'll go, with brown and vazquez backing him up for long relief. and of course, wakefield is lowes back up.

the bigger question though: will the yankees middle of the line up hit?

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:09 pm 
Force of Nature

Can you imagine what Georgie Porgie is thinking right now?

Neither can I.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:19 pm 
Got Some

vedder10ua wrote:

im tired too, and have a huge midterm thursday. i cant do another extra innings game!

from what i see it will be lowe versus brown. BUT, i hear if el duque is ok on three days rest, he'll go, with brown and vazquez backing him up for long relief. and of course, wakefield is lowes back up.

i'm fully expecting El Duque and don't think Torre really trusts Brown or Vazquez.

why not start El Duque and go to Loaiza/Sturtze when Orlando gets lit up?

starting lowe makes more sense because he can give you more innings as a starter than a reliever.
plus if Varitek can't catch the knuckler again the Yanks could jump on top early and seize momentum. everyone on the red sox staff is available except schilling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:30 pm 
Supersonic

BornToRun86 wrote:
Can you imagine what Georgie Porgie is thinking right now?

Neither can I.

:lol:

Yeah, he's thinking "how quick can I start negotiating with Scott Boras for the services of Carlos Beltran?" As a Cubs' fan whose team could potentially be in the running for him, a loss by the Yankees tonight would almost guarantee Steinbrenner does everything possible to sign Beltran. This makes me sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:31 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

All i know is that i'm tired and nervous. This is like the longest day ever. The seconds are crawling by. Win or lose, I want this game to start. The tension is palpable. No one in the office is getting much done, we really are on pins and needles waiting for the Sox to get started.

I would love to predict a win, and am hoping and praying for one. But, as a Red Sox fan I have been through this too many times to be overly optimistic. I know you other die hards are with me on this. It's been a great, great, great ride to get where we are, but I've suffered too much pain over the years.

And PunkDavid, I know you're a New Yorker, and I usually like most of your posts, but to say that Boston fans don't deserve it is assinine, conceited, and downright dick-headed. If the Yankees win, I can live with it, they're the better team if they win, but to say that Sox fans don't deserve it, I mean come on, you guys live on the freaking mountain top. We have had to suffer and suffer and still we follow this team and hope, I think we deserve it more than you can imagine. And if they lose, we'll keep hoping and following, but we DO deserve this.

Still my opinion and yours matter not. Two teams, one game, a winner a loser. First pitch 8:19 EST. If only it would get here. This is worse than Christmas Eve.

Maclone's Musings (my nearly daily blog for the paper i write for)
http://capenews.net/blogs/maclones_musings/
Stop on by, everyone else is doing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:36 pm 
Of Counsel

little_secrets wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
In re the Boston Red Sox and racism.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/fea ... ct/redsox/

http://www.routledge-ny.com/util/resour ... lease.html

http://www.baseballology.com/booksartic ... ticleID=43

In their defence (or perhaps defiance), it was Ted Williams's 1965 Hall Of Fame induction speech that led directly to the inclusion of Negro League players in the Hall. I loved Ted Williams, may he chill in peace.

--PunkDavid

so you're playing the race card even though the core of the red sox team is dominican?

you really are desperate

I'm not playing the race card. Someone expressed surprise at someone referring to racism in the Red Sox organization. I merely cited sources to show that racism has in fact existed over the years in the organization.

And just to show you that I'm fair, and not desperate (as I said it's no skin off my nose if the Red Sox win tonight), the Yankees were the 2nd to last team to integrate. So there. :censored:

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:38 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

little_secrets wrote:
vedder10ua wrote:

i'm fully expecting El Duque and don't think Torre really trusts Brown or Vazquez.

why not start El Duque and go to Loaiza/Sturtze when Orlando gets lit up?

starting lowe makes more sense because he can give you more innings as a starter than a reliever.
plus if Varitek can't catch the knuckler again the Yanks could jump on top early and seize momentum. everyone on the red sox staff is available except schilling

well first, i do not think el duque will get lit up (crosses f ingers). but, loiaza has pitched a lot over the past few games. and vazquez has hardly pitched this series (4 innings) after not pitching that bad versus minnesota. i think he trusts brown more because hes a "grizzly veteran" going in a game 7, as compared to a young pup. i still see loiaza pitching, and prob sturtze too. nothing is held back in this game.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I just want another nail-biter..I've never had so much fun watching baseball...let the best team win...

even though i hate the yanks, if they win, they deserve it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:48 pm 
Of Counsel

rich wrote:
And PunkDavid, I know you're a New Yorker, and I usually like most of your posts, but to say that Boston fans don't deserve it is assinine, conceited, and downright dick-headed. If the Yankees win, I can live with it, they're the better team if they win, but to say that Sox fans don't deserve it, I mean come on, you guys live on the freaking mountain top. We have had to suffer and suffer and still we follow this team and hope, I think we deserve it more than you can imagine. And if they lose, we'll keep hoping and following, but we DO deserve this.

I can't know what it's like to be a long-suffereing Red Sox fan. But I did know what it was like to be a long suffering NY Rangers fan, and as pathetic as that was, the most mean-spirited thing towards a rival team I ever heard from a Rangers fan was "Potvin Sucks".

Rich, I'm sure you're a nice level-headed guy. My brother-in-law is a diehard Sox fan, and I wish you happiness. But I have read some of the most immature, cruel, and hateful things I have ever seen regarding sports out of the mouths of Red Sox fans on this board over the past year, and it has really lowered the stereotypical Red Sox fan in my estimation.

Call the Yankees mercenaries, elitists, tight-lipped, clean-shaven, pin-stripe-wearing robots. But never accuse us of not having class, because I guarantee that if the Red Sox win the game tonight, the Yankee fans will give them a standing ovation. Believe it.

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:49 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

My question is why people are wondering if they'll beat the curse tonight? I thought the curse was that they haven't won the World Series, or is it also that they haven't beaten the Yankees in a playoff series? Seems like a very flexible curse :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:56 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

punkdavid wrote:
rich wrote:

I can't know what it's like to be a long-suffereing Red Sox fan. But I did know what it was like to be a long suffering NY Rangers fan, and as pathetic as that was, the most mean-spirited thing towards a rival team I ever heard from a Rangers fan was "Potvin Sucks".

Rich, I'm sure you're a nice level-headed guy. My brother-in-law is a diehard Sox fan, and I wish you happiness. But I have read some of the most immature, cruel, and hateful things I have ever seen regarding sports out of the mouths of Red Sox fans on this board over the past year, and it has really lowered the stereotypical Red Sox fan in my estimation.

Call the Yankees mercenaries, elitists, tight-lipped, clean-shaven, pin-stripe-wearing robots. But never accuse us of not having class, because I guarantee that if the Red Sox win the game tonight, the Yankee fans will give them a standing ovation. Believe it.

--PunkDavid

Dude, there are idiots that follow every team, you know that. I mean how classy were the NYers last night when they littered the field with baseballs and bottles? It goes both ways. And if the Sox win, and the fans give the Sox a cheer, i will appreciate that, but I just want this freaking game to start. The anticipation is killing me.

Maclone's Musings (my nearly daily blog for the paper i write for)
http://capenews.net/blogs/maclones_musings/
Stop on by, everyone else is doing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:03 pm 
Got Some

vedder10ua wrote:
well first, i do not think el duque will get lit up (crosses f ingers). but, loiaza has pitched a lot over the past few games. and vazquez has hardly pitched this series (4 innings) after not pitching that bad versus minnesota. i think he trusts brown more because hes a "grizzly veteran" going in a game 7, as compared to a young pup. i still see loiaza pitching, and prob sturtze too. nothing is held back in this game.

vazquez threw close to 100 pitches in those 4 innings so it was almost like he made a start

i think Torre knows what he's got in El Duque and doesn't trust the newer Yankees, Brown + Vazquez, in this big of a spot.

red sox must score first to change momentum and carry the lead into the late innings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:09 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

little_secrets wrote:
vedder10ua wrote:

vazquez threw close to 100 pitches in those 4 innings so it was almost like he made a start

i think Torre knows what he's got in El Duque and doesn't trust the newer Yankees, Brown + Vazquez, in this big of a spot.

red sox must score first to change momentum and carry the lead into the late innings

just found an interesting stat on vazquez on espn...

Threw once on three days rest this season (April 21 and 25). Following up a 113-pitch outing vs. Chicago, he threw 102 pitches and gave up two earned runs in six innings in a loss to Boston.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:12 pm 
Got Some

vedder10ua wrote:
just found an interesting stat on vazquez on espn...

Threw once on three days rest this season (April 21 and 25). Following up a 113-pitch outing vs. Chicago, he threw 102 pitches and gave up two earned runs in six innings in a loss to Boston.

indeed, manny hit a ball that hasn't landed yet.
Ramirez is a guy who just feasts on mistakes and hasn't shown up in this series yet. hopefully he can put the team on his back tonight and take advantage of another tired starter ala Barry Zito in game 5 of the ALDS last year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

punkdavid wrote:
rich wrote:

--PunkDavid

nice writeup man...if the sox do win it tonight and new york gets on its feet...i will be shocked and touched at the same time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:31 pm 
Force of Nature

twoheadedboy wrote:
My question is why people are wondering if they'll beat the curse tonight? I thought the curse was that they haven't won the World Series, or is it also that they haven't beaten the Yankees in a playoff series? Seems like a very flexible curse :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. As if there really is a curse or not, the Redsox mission is to win the WS. Beating the Yankees along the way would be sweet for them no doubt but what if they beat the Yanks only to lose in the WS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:35 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

Quote:
because I guarantee that if the Red Sox win the game tonight, the Yankee fans will give them a standing ovation. Believe it.

The ovation would be for the Yankees season, lets not try to pass that off as class.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports