Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Why the Yankees will win TONIGHT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
So, here we are, today is game seven. There are SEVERAL reasons why the yankees will win tonight 10/21

10/21 is the day which Mickey Mantle and John Flaherty share as a birthday.
10/21/98 : The Yankees complete an incredible season with a four-game sweep of the San Diego Padres in the World Series to capture the franchise's 24th World Championship.Their 3-0 win gives the club a record of 125-50 (114-48 in the regular season, 11-2 in postseason).

Any one got anything else?

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Of Counsel
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:14 am
Posts: 37778
Location: OmaGOD!!!
Gender: Male
Don't jinx it, or be a sore winner.

--PunkDavid

_________________
Unfortunately, at the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius, the Flower Children jerked off and went back to sleep.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Why the Yankees will win TONIGHT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:36 pm
Posts: 2189
Location: Back to Jer-Z
suchpj wrote:
10/21 is the day which Mickey Mantle and John Flaherty share as a birthday.


I don't know if it's blatantly obvious to all, but the Mick was #7

More obvious is that the Sox have a loooooong history of making their fans think it's over, making epic comebacks, then falling just short when it matters the most. Like the entire regular season.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Why the Yankees will win TONIGHT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
SniffleBiscuit wrote:

I don't know if it's blatantly obvious to all, but the Mick was #7



Good point, what better way to remember "The Mick" by winning Game 7 for #7 on his birthday....

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Why the Yankees will win TONIGHT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 pm
Posts: 10620
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male
suchpj wrote:
So, here we are, today is game seven. There are SEVERAL reasons why the yankees will win tonight 10/21

10/21 is the day which Mickey Mantle and John Flaherty share as a birthday.
10/21/98 : The Yankees complete an incredible season with a four-game sweep of the San Diego Padres in the World Series to capture the franchise's 24th World Championship.Their 3-0 win gives the club a record of 125-50 (114-48 in the regular season, 11-2 in postseason).

Any one got anything else?


I can name about 190 million reasons why the Yankees should win tonight, but I don't want to go there . . . :)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Why the Yankees will win TONIGHT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I can name about 190 million reasons why the Yankees should win tonight, but I don't want to go there . . . :)


So, a dig at Yankee Payroll? First off, its $180 million, not 190. And if we are going to talk high payroll, the sox are up there to, i beleive in the neighborhood of $135 M. Payroll, has alot to do with it i agree, but seeing that the Yankees can sell 50,000 seats for every game, they can afford to do so.

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Why the Yankees will win TONIGHT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:26 pm 
Offline
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:52 am
Posts: 980
Location: Near Philly
Chris_H_2 wrote:
suchpj wrote:
So, here we are, today is game seven. There are SEVERAL reasons why the yankees will win tonight 10/21

10/21 is the day which Mickey Mantle and John Flaherty share as a birthday.
10/21/98 : The Yankees complete an incredible season with a four-game sweep of the San Diego Padres in the World Series to capture the franchise's 24th World Championship.Their 3-0 win gives the club a record of 125-50 (114-48 in the regular season, 11-2 in postseason).

Any one got anything else?


I can name about 190 million reasons why the Yankees should win tonight, but I don't want to go there . . . :)


I find it funny how the Yankees have a $190 million payrol and they need dead players to pull them through


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Why the Yankees will win TONIGHT!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 pm
Posts: 10620
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male
suchpj wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I can name about 190 million reasons why the Yankees should win tonight, but I don't want to go there . . . :)


So, a dig at Yankee Payroll? First off, its $180 million, not 190. And if we are going to talk high payroll, the sox are up there to, i beleive in the neighborhood of $135 M. Payroll, has alot to do with it i agree, but seeing that the Yankees can sell 50,000 seats for every game, they can afford to do so.


I think the Yankee's payroll has a lot to do with the TV contract the organization has more than the ticket revenues. And I'm not saying the Red Sox are innocent by any means when it comes to payroll. I am saying the Yankees' payroll contributes a lot to the teams' success over the past 8 years. There's no denying that.

And correcting me on the payroll by $10 million is like correcting me when I say there's 3 billion stars in our solar system instead of 2.5 billion.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Global Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26481
Location: virginia
Gender: Male
i say no, they will no longer be able to say someone hasnt ever come back from being down 0-3 :D

_________________
what is that a titleist..............Hole in one


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:42 am
Posts: 1929
Location: Cowlette's House
you yankee fans wear blinders

_________________
chow chow hut wrote:


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
Balki wrote:
you yankee fans wear blinders


You are very right. We all wear blinders. We wear blinders in the sense that there is ONE goal year in and year out. Winning the ALCS and Winning the World Series. Anything less than that is a failure. Some teams are content with a .500 season, some are content with just making the playoffs. But when you are a yankee fan, or a new york sports fan you expect more, you expect better. Because, plain and simple, WE ARE BETTER...

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 am
Posts: 14671
Location: Baton Rouge
Gender: Male
suchpj wrote:
Balki wrote:
you yankee fans wear blinders


You are very right. We all wear blinders. We wear blinders in the sense that there is ONE goal year in and year out. Winning the ALCS and Winning the World Series. Anything less than that is a failure. Some teams are content with a .500 season, some are content with just making the playoffs. But when you are a yankee fan, or a new york sports fan you expect more, you expect better. Because, plain and simple, WE ARE BETTER...


WE? what position do you play?


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
Season ticket holder....if that counts...

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 am
Posts: 14671
Location: Baton Rouge
Gender: Male
suchpj wrote:
Season ticket holder....if that counts...


81 trips for greenwich to the bronx in a year.

doesnt seem very logical.


and as a season ticket holder why arent you going to the game?


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
its a 30 minute drive from here to the Bronx, not everyone who goes to a sporting event lives right around the corner. and who said i wasnt going to the game?

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 am
Posts: 14671
Location: Baton Rouge
Gender: Male
suchpj wrote:
its a 30 minute drive from here to the Bronx, not everyone who goes to a sporting event lives right around the corner. and who said i wasnt going to the game?



30 minutes, with traffic? wow.

im sure if you were going to the game you would say something about it. i know i would, i'd be excited.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
ok, if you'd like i can start talking about how exciting it will be. Its going to be just as exciting as last year when Boone beat the sox with one swing of the bat. and its 30 min w/o traffic 45 - an hour with

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 am
Posts: 14671
Location: Baton Rouge
Gender: Male
suchpj wrote:
ok, if you'd like i can start talking about how exciting it will be. Its going to be just as exciting as last year when Boone beat the sox with one swing of the bat. and its 30 min w/o traffic 45 - an hour with



Okay, I hope you have a safe trip and a fun time at the game.

but go sox.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:16 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Greenwich CT
Thanks...no hard feelings...that was fun. ALthough, why are you a sox fan in texas?

_________________
~ Me fail English? That's unpossible. ~


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 am
Posts: 14671
Location: Baton Rouge
Gender: Male
suchpj wrote:
Thanks...no hard feelings...that was fun. ALthough, why are you a sox fan in texas?



well, simply put: i think the stros match up better with the sox.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:47 pm