Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: USA B-Ball: 1992 Dream Team
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:56 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

There are some articles on ESPN.com that focus on which USA B-Ball Team(1992 or 2007) is superior. Here are the rosters:

C: David Robinson\Patrick Ewing
PF:Karl Malone\Charles Barkley\Christian Laettner
SF:Larry Bird\Chris Mullin\Scottie Pippen
SG:Michael Jordan\Clyde Drexler
PG:Magic Johnson\John Stockton

C: Dwight Howard\Tyson Chandler
PF:Carmelo Anthony\Amare Stoudemire
SF:LeBron James\Mike Miller\Tayshaun Prince
SG:Kobe Bryant\Michael Redd
PG:Jason Kidd\Chauncey Billups\Deron Williams

Which team do you guys think is better?

Last edited by badabing on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: USA B-Ball: 1992 Dream Team Vs. 2007 Team
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:59 pm 
Stone's Bitch

92, no question. The 07 team looks pretty solid, but 92 is just untouchable.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:02 pm 
Unthought Known

the 1992 team would win 8/10 games. Put MJ on the 2007 team, and they'd win 8/10 times.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:31 pm 
Unthought Known

'92.

This is a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:32 pm 
Unthought Known

Ricardo Tubbs wrote:
the 1992 team would win 8/10 games. Put MJ on the 2007 team, and they'd win 8/10 times.

No way.

The '92 team is dominant at every position. It's not even close.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:35 pm 
Administrator

The 1992 team has to be the most iconic in basketball history. And just think if they put Shaq on it instead of Laettner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Not taking anything away from the 07' team, but this would be a blowout

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:51 pm 
Unthought Known

pearljamminagain wrote:
Ricardo Tubbs wrote:

No way.

The '92 team is dominant at every position. It's not even close.

yeah, no dominance at all on the 2007 team. :lol:
the 1992 versions of Bird/Magic would be HUGE defensive liabilities. MJ in his prime was the best of all time...nobody on the 92 team could stop him except maybe Pippen...and Jordan would have eventually destroyed him mentally.

-Ernie Accorsi in his final address to the NY Giants locker room before retiring as GM in January of 2007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:17 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The post players on the '92 team would be the difference.

That said, this is the best American team in 15 years (until next season when Wade and possibly Oden and/or Durant make the team).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:33 pm 
a joke

Im going to play devils advocate here.

I think the '92 team is better than the '07 team. But maybe not the '08 team. Add Bosh, Wade, Pierce and Arenas and remove Chandler, Miller, Prince and Williams... i think you could make the argument.

A lot of the '92 team was getting up there in age- Magic and Bird specifically.

C- Howard and Bosh would be significantly more athletic and useful in the international game then Robinson and Ewing. Edge- '08

PF- Anthony (i dont see him as a PF, but oh well) and Stoudamire again probably have an athletic advantage over the '92 team. Malone obviously was a great scorer, and would probably run over them though. Barkley was in his prime, but i wonder if his height would have been in an issue in an era where PF are running a legit 6'10. Laettner is a non factor in this discussion, unless you count him as an overall negative for depth.

SF- Bird is one of the greatest players ever. However, by '92 his back was shot. Pippen was a decent player. Mullin is a non factor- although not to the extent that Laettner is. If Anthony is going to be a PF.. then Ill call Wade a SF, and along with LeBron.. you have 2 guys- both improving that have been to the NBA finals essentially on their abilities alone. EDGE- '08 team

SG- Jordan may be the best player ever, but in terms of scoring, Kobe is pretty impressive. Kobe is also a decent defender. No championship pedigree without Shaq though. I think Arenas may be a better scorer than Drexler. Redd is probably the best Pure shooter of the SG listed for either team.. but he still doesnt make up for the Jordan Factor- EDGE- '92

PG- Magic, like bird, was on his last legs, but still a great player... But Kidd does a lot of the same things that magic did- just without the LA following and without the "showtime" ability. He's on his last legs as well. Billups physical strength as a defender would be useful against a guy like magic. Stockton is a better PG than Billups on O, but I think the Kidd/Billups combo might be able to negate that. EDGE- Draw

I think the '08 team would give the '92 team a run for its money.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:03 am 
Supersonic

the kobe vs jordan matchup would be badass

sometimes arguments come up that kobe is better than jordan..i dunno bout that, but some of my buddies put up some good points

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:46 am 
Poney Girl

edzeppe wrote:

I think the '92 team is better than the '07 team. But maybe not the '08 team. Add Bosh, Wade, Pierce and Arenas and remove Chandler, Miller, Prince and Williams... i think you could make the argument.

C- Howard and Bosh would be significantly more athletic and useful in the international game then Robinson and Ewing. Edge- '08

PF- Anthony (i dont see him as a PF, but oh well) and Stoudamire again probably have an athletic advantage over the '92 team. Malone obviously was a great scorer, and would probably run over them though. Barkley was in his prime, but i wonder if his height would have been in an issue in an era where PF are running a legit 6'10. Laettner is a non factor in this discussion, unless you count him as an overall negative for depth.

SF- Bird is one of the greatest players ever. However, by '92 his back was shot. Pippen was a decent player. Mullin is a non factor- although not to the extent that Laettner is. If Anthony is going to be a PF.. then Ill call Wade a SF, and along with LeBron.. you have 2 guys- both improving that have been to the NBA finals essentially on their abilities alone. EDGE- '08 team

SG- Jordan may be the best player ever, but in terms of scoring, Kobe is pretty impressive. Kobe is also a decent defender. No championship pedigree without Shaq though. I think Arenas may be a better scorer than Drexler. Redd is probably the best Pure shooter of the SG listed for either team.. but he still doesnt make up for the Jordan Factor- EDGE- '92

PG- Magic, like bird, was on his last legs, but still a great player... But Kidd does a lot of the same things that magic did- just without the LA following and without the "showtime" ability. He's on his last legs as well. Billups physical strength as a defender would be useful against a guy like magic. Stockton is a better PG than Billups on O, but I think the Kidd/Billups combo might be able to negate that. EDGE- Draw

Isn't this '07 team going to be the '08 team? I mean the point of this Basketball Tourney this year was to see what two teams got automatic births into the summer games of '08. Or am I wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:30 am 
Spambot

i got bugs wrote:
the kobe vs jordan matchup would be badass

sometimes arguments come up that kobe is better than jordan..i dunno bout that, but some of my buddies put up some good points

Jordan took an otherwise .500 team to a championship(s). Look what Kobe has done without Shaq.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:47 am 
AnalLog

This game would be ridiculously fun to watch.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:59 am 
a joke

Wes C. Addle wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

Isn't this '07 team going to be the '08 team? I mean the point of this Basketball Tourney this year was to see what two teams got automatic births into the summer games of '08. Or am I wrong?

The team gets an automatic birth, not the roster specifically.
The USA roster has like 20 guys on it- and they can pick the actual team from any combination of those guys. Some guys (like the ones i mentioned, as well as a couple of others) are all on the larger roster, and just couldnt play this year (personal commitments, injury recovery, etc).

Post subject: Re: USA B-Ball: 1992 Dream Team
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:16 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

NBA TV is running a great doc on the Dream Team. They actually taped all their practices and they show some of it. I'd pay real money to watch those start to finish.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 pm 
a joke

Skitch Patterson wrote:

Holy crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:37 am 
Supersonic

Green Habit wrote:
The 1992 team has to be the most iconic in basketball history. And just think if they put Shaq on it instead of Laettner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:25 am 
Spacegirl

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

Holy crap.

in what universe is dwayne wade a small forward?

Post subject: Re: USA B-Ball: 1992 Dream Team
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 am 
Got Some

STAT and Melo vs. Mailman and Sir Charles isn't even close.....

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports