Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Disc Golf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:34 am 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Anyone here ever play? I just did it today for the first time. There is an awesome course near where I live. Good fun. It's a lot harder than I thought, but a few more times and I think I'll have it down pretty well.
I was sort of surprised I enjoyed it because I really dont like golf, but I do like ultimate. So I guess that's where the fun is.

Post subject: Re: Disc Golf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:41 am 
Global Moderator

Buggy wrote:
Anyone here ever play? I just did it today for the first time. There is an awesome course near where I live. Good fun. It's a lot harder than I thought, but a few more times and I think I'll have it down pretty well.
I was sort of surprised I enjoyed it because I really dont like golf, but I do like ultimate. So I guess that's where the fun is.

when i lived in fla, alot of the parks had corses set up and i would play from time to time, its been a while but i remember it being real fun, i wish they had places for it around here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:42 am 
Got Some

i was just explaining this to my girlfriend yesterday as frisbee golf or "folf". awesome game, played a few times in the Missoula, MT area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:47 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

little_secrets wrote:
i was just explaining this to my girlfriend yesterday as frisbee golf or "folf". awesome game, played a few times in the Missoula, MT area.

I believe its "frolf" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:20 am 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

It's great because the course I played had lots of ravines and cliffs so you'd make your throw and hope it didnt roll right off the cliff. heh. So, yeah. We ended up climbing down the cliffs a bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:22 am 
Global Moderator

Buggy wrote:
It's great because the course I played had lots of ravines and cliffs so you'd make your throw and hope it didnt roll right off the cliff. heh. So, yeah. We ended up climbing down the cliffs a bunch.

:lol: , well atleast it was good exercise :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:29 am 
Got Some

Yes, I love frolfing. During the months when there isn't snow on the ground, I'll frolf about 4 or 5 times a week. I'm not really that great, mostly because I can't throw a frisbee very far. But it's still a good time. I live about a mile from a course, which is very convenient. Even better, the disc golf course is on a very cool mountain bike trail system. It's one of my favorite places in the world. :D

If Earth could say,
In a voice floating up
Perhaps
From the floor
Of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done.
People did not like it here.''

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:57 am 
Pork Chop

jlvsprljam wrote:
Buggy wrote:

when i lived in fla, alot of the parks had corses set up and i would play from time to time, its been a while but i remember it being real fun, i wish they had places for it around here

It's really popular in down here in florida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:01 am 
Global Moderator

Angels Tribe wrote:
jlvsprljam wrote:
Buggy wrote:

It's really popular in down here in florida

it was still kind of a new thing back when i still lived there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:32 am 
Force of Nature

little_secrets wrote:

Montana was where I first learned of and played the game....and I too still call it "Folf"! Great game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:50 am 
Of Counsel

My friends and I used to play almost every week at least once on a course in the woods in a park in Mt. Kisco, NY. Playing in the woods is the best. You get the challenge of going around trees, and up and down hills. Not to mention there are some nice secluded places that you can enjoy your favorite extra-athletic activities. The fourth hole became known as the "smoke a blunt" hole. :D

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:48 am 
Johnny Guitar
 YIM  Profile

punkdavid wrote:
My friends and I used to play almost every week at least once on a course in the woods in a park in Mt. Kisco, NY. Playing in the woods is the best. You get the challenge of going around trees, and up and down hills. Not to mention there are some nice secluded places that you can enjoy your favorite extra-athletic activities. The fourth hole became known as the "smoke a blunt" hole. :D

--PunkDavid

Strange coincidence, the fourth hole at one of the local courses around here was also the "smoke a blunt" hole. There was a park bench set up under a tree where people would take "breaks". The city started cutting down the trees though, and now the course sucks. It almost seems like they wanted to get rid of most of us disc golfers.

About the actual sport, I started playing 3 years ago. I've gotten pretty good, except for the fact that I can't make long range puts very well. I have no problems driving, and I can throw it about 350 feet. It's a great game and has a lot of strategy involved, with different stabilizations for the discs, different throw types, and course hazards. As soon as the snow gets off the ground here in another couple months, I'll be back playing regularly.

Last edited by Vs on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:10 pm 
Supersonic

I've been playing for a couple of years. The biggest problem I have is flicking because the rims of my discs are so small that my fingers can't grip it very well. Other than that... ultimate and disc golf are the two greatest games ever invented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:48 pm 
not a big Gay guy

i've played a couple times. it's quite fun, though i'm not very good. i like how there's like nine different frisbees you have to use, heh.

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

My friends and I used to play at work. We worked as janitors over a couple of summers at my old high school. It was some good fun. I don't know if there are any courses around here though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:21 pm 
Of Counsel

Find the closest course to your home:

http://www.pdga.com/course/

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

A little walking outside....

Drinking Beer...

Smoking.....

What a great Sport!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:31 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

I used to play almost every day. Awesome fun, my home course was about 315 ft a hole, but with lots of elevation change. (9 holes that double backed on each other with differing tees. I just got mad that the river nearby would eat many hooking drivers of mine. I hated loosing discs.

I should play again the summer time.

It is difficult and requires practice. And a beer cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:39 am 
Got Some

punkdavid wrote:
Find the closest course to your home:

http://www.pdga.com/course/

--PunkDavid

first annual RM frisbee golf tournament to coincide w/march madness? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:56 am 
Banned from the Pit

Used to play every weekend. In 97/98 I lived in California, and was introduced to it then...unfortunately, I haven't played it since...moved back to Boston and now in Ireland...needless to say Frolf not very popular over here...although I'm sure people would be into the beer drinking aspect of it....
Buggy, what part of california are you from? I lived in Studio City, and played in Eagle Rock/Glendale...there were a couple of sweet courses out there.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports