Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Jay Cutler Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 pm 
a joke

thodoks wrote:
edzeppe wrote:
I hate most of the teams pnjguy hates. In fact i really hate most them, and root against them everytime they play.

BUT he might be the best fan on this board. He defends his team and players no matter how bad/stupid/sucky they might be. He is the eternal sports fan optimist (rios could still be good!!!, peavy for a month is going to help us win the division!!, etc) and i applaud him for that.

Much like me, he allows blind hope and optimism to cloud his judgment regarding his favorite teams... and its a good thing.

SHELTON!!!
LIONS!!!
DARKO!!!!

You're a f*cking joke, you know that?

You barely post for god knows how long and this is how you treat me upon your return?!! wt* c*** ******* *** *********** ***** **!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm 
statistically insignificant

sports = serious business

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:29 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

tell that to mickey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:29 pm 
a joke

thodoks wrote:
sports = serious business

**** ****** *** *******, *** * ****** ** ** **

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
Brian Urlacher wrote:
"...Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth."

If Urlacher is saying this publicly, how many of his teammates are thinking it privately?

Ruh-roh.

There are about 10 guys on this team that Bears fans and the front office want to retain after this year, so in the end, it really doesn't matter what his teammates are thinking. They're bad and they need to go.

I heard a stat the other day. Cutler has dropped back to pass 40 some times with the lead this whole year. It's laughable to make Cutler the fall guy and anyone who thinks that either hasn't watched the games or is just football retarded. Please check your hatred for Cutler because his looks like a d-bag at the door.

Troy Aikman said it the best, don't look at his body language, but look at him on the ground repeatedly to see if he cares. And not one word out of his mouth his whole year.

Last edited by pnjguy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

edzeppe wrote:
I hate most of the teams pnjguy hates. In fact i really hate most them, and root against them everytime they play.

BUT he might be the best fan on this board. He defends his team and players no matter how bad/stupid/sucky they might be. He is the eternal sports fan optimist (rios could still be good!!!, peavy for a month is going to help us win the division!!, etc) and i applaud him for that.

Much like me, he allows blind hope and optimism to cloud his judgment regarding his favorite teams... and its a good thing.

SHELTON!!!
LIONS!!!
DARKO!!!!

Optimism? I said the Bears would suck this year, and to say any team in the AL central is out of it is just dumb. Is it blind optimism that a player in his prime will return to his career averages? Is it blind faith that a pitcher in september that goes 3-0 will help a team down the stretch? C'mon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:42 pm 

pnjguy wrote:
It's laughable to make Cutler the fall guy and anyone who thinks that either hasn't watched the games or is just football retarded.

I'm not trying to say he's the fall guy. My point has always been that the Bears overpaid for him, and that they needed to be careful what they wished for. Unintended consequences (like those outlined by Urlacher) can be a real bit*h.

At this point, I'm content to do nothing but laugh at what a mess Cutler is. Nothing more, nothing less.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:45 pm 
a joke

pnjguy wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

SHELTON!!!
LIONS!!!
DARKO!!!!

Optimism? I said the Bears would suck this year, and to say any team in the AL central is out of it is just dumb. Is it blind optimism that a player in his prime will return to his career averages? Is it blind faith that a pitcher in september that goes 3-0 will help a team down the stretch? C'mon.

God, you turn a compliment into an insult. admitting your team is not going to be good in a given year is a little different (trust me- lions fan) than making every possible excuse when you really want something to work out. I have 2 Joey Harrington jerseys to prove it. Doesnt mean you're always going to be wrong, but ill take your optimism any day of the week over the reactionary FIRE ______!! or ____ SUCKS!!! that seems to have over taken the sports world.

(and the peavy debate, yes he was good, but no one doubted that... but the fact he was out for the 2 months after the deal left the team shorted handed... good move still, but took them out of contention last season)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
It's laughable to make Cutler the fall guy and anyone who thinks that either hasn't watched the games or is just football retarded.

I'm not trying to say he's the fall guy. My point has always been that the Bears overpaid for him, and that they needed to be careful what they wished for. Unintended consequences (like those outlined by Urlacher) can be a real bit*h.

At this point, I'm content to do nothing but laugh at what a mess Cutler is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Did you truly think he was gonna turn this team around this year? If so, i guess you can laugh all you want but your missing out on reality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:52 pm 

pnjguy wrote:
thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

Did you truly think he was gonna turn this team around this year? If so, i guess you can laugh all you want but your missing out on reality.

No, I didn't. But I'm in the minority. Plenty did. I thought - and still think - they're wrong. I would humbly suggest that if you think pundits and fans alike didn't greet the Cutler deal as though it was manna from heaven you might not have been paying attention.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

edzeppe wrote:
God, you turn a compliment into an insult. admitting your team is not going to be good in a given year is a little different (trust me- lions fan) than making every possible excuse when you really want something to work out. I have 2 Joey Harrington jerseys to prove it. Doesnt mean you're always going to be wrong, but ill take your optimism any day of the week over the reactionary FIRE ______!! or ____ SUCKS!!! that seems to have over taken the sports world.

Cutler has not played well, but i don't know what else you want him to do with what he's been dealt. Do i have to completely ignore that this whole team is terrible to make you think that i'm making excuses? I don't have a crystal ball, Cutler could very well be a bust, but that that has nothing to do with what i have witnessed this year regarding Cutler.

edzeppe wrote:
(and the peavy debate, yes he was good, but no one doubted that... but the fact he was out for the 2 months after the deal left the team shorted handed... good move still, but took them out of contention last season)

I really don't know what to tell you if you think the absence Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda took them out of contention. If you think that, i guess i'm a blind optimist.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:58 pm 
a joke

pnjguy wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

Cutler has not played well, but i don't know what else you want him to do with what he's been dealt. Do i have to completely ignore that this whole team is terrible to make you think that i'm making excuses? I don't have a crystal ball, Cutler could very well be a bust, but that that has nothing to do with what i have witnessed this year regarding Cutler.

edzeppe wrote:

I really don't know what to tell you if you think the absence Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda took them out of contention. If you think that, i guess i'm a blind optimist.

take it however you want dude, i really did mean it as a complement.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:00 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

No, I didn't. But I'm in the minority. Plenty did. I thought - and still think - they're wrong. I would humbly suggest that if you think pundits and fans alike didn't greet the Cutler deal as though it was manna from heaven you might not have been paying attention.

I live in Chicago. There were just as many people who thought Orton was better than Cutler as people thought Cutler was going to be the savior. And if you didn't know that, i'm telling you now. I think i've made my points clear from the very beginning. I can only argue my points, not others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

edzeppe wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

edzeppe wrote:

take it however you want dude, i really did mean it as a complement.

I understand and appreciate it, but i think you got me all wrong. I got some thoughts on Kenny Williams this year for you if this hot stove season continues.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:30 pm 
Got Some

My problem with Cutler after living with him for several years as a Bronco fan is that he is prone to making terrible decisions no matter what. He had quality receivers, a decent O line, and a run game to prop him up in Denver. And he surely didn't make as many mistakes there, but he did make mistakes and, most importantly, typically made them at the worst moments.

The number of red zone interceptions he threw was just staggering. He was certainly not the sole reason those teams didn't make the playoffs--the defense was consistently abysmal in those years--but each year another victory or two would have put us in the post-season and he didn't deliver that. I don't remember many games where I thought, "Wow! Jay Cutler just won that game for us all by himself!" but I remember a lot of games he helped give away.

I grew up watching Elway. He was a guy who could look terrible for three quarters, but suddenly in the fourth he was superhuman. Believe me, the reason he had so many come from behind victories was because he put us behind a lot (well, and Dan Reeves). But he was a guy who lived for the big moment, and raised his game under pressure. Cutler seems to be just the opposite.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mray10 wrote:
My problem with Cutler after living with him for several years as a Bronco fan is that he is prone to making terrible decisions no matter what. He had quality receivers, a decent O line, and a run game to prop him up in Denver. And he surely didn't make as many mistakes there, but he did make mistakes and, most importantly, typically made them at the worst moments.

The number of red zone interceptions he threw was just staggering. He was certainly not the sole reason those teams didn't make the playoffs--the defense was consistently abysmal in those years--but each year another victory or two would have put us in the post-season and he didn't deliver that. I don't remember many games where I thought, "Wow! Jay Cutler just won that game for us all by himself!" but I remember a lot of games he helped give away.

I grew up watching Elway. He was a guy who could look terrible for three quarters, but suddenly in the fourth he was superhuman. Believe me, the reason he had so many come from behind victories was because he put us behind a lot (well, and Dan Reeves). But he was a guy who lived for the big moment, and raised his game under pressure. Cutler seems to be just the opposite.

He's 26!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:37 pm 

pnjguy wrote:
mray10 wrote:

He's 26!

At one point, so too were Drew Bledsoe and Jeff George.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:28 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

OK, a lot of things going on in this thread, let me try and organize my thoughts.

a) First, the team as a whole is awful, way worse than anyone could have thought. Last year this team was 9-7 and had a controlled its own destiny on the last day of the season to get in the playoffs. Obviously, the team deteriorated much worse and faster than anticipated. There are two people to blame for the downfall, Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith. Both need to be gone, no doubt about it. Its not Cutler's fault that they are 4-7...

b) But that being said, Cutler has underperformed beyond anybody's worst nightmares. The day the Bears got him was arguably the biggest off the field day in Chicago since Jordan announced his comeback. The expectations placed on him were unfairly high. I would say his expectations were for a quarterback that was going to be a 9 out of 10 right away. In all reality, for the price the Bears paid, he should have been at least a 7 out 10. He has performed at a 3 out of 10 at best, regardless of what is around him. If he is the franchise qb that he it touted to be, then you don't throw 20 interceptions in a season, let alone 11 games. There are worse teams with worse qbs that have not thrown 20 picks. He continues to make poor throws and poor decisions. I don't care how old he is (and I would say that once you are in your 4th year of starting, you should have your position pretty much figured out, you can't make too many more excuses about him being "young") you can't miss those 3 tds against the Eagles, you can't throw 5 picks in a 4 point game, or 4 picks against the Packers. You can't blame that shit on anyone else but him.

c) The Orton comparison. Does Cutler have better physical tools than Orton? Absolutely. But does Orton have the mental abilites that Cutler has lacked? I think the answer is yes, and it shows with Orton continuing to win. Would this current Bears team be better with Orton? Possibly. I think they beat the 49ers, and maybe Green Bay and Philadelphia. But they may not have beaten Pitt or Seattle with him. So obviously its impossible to say, and in all reality we wont know who got the better end of the deal until much further down the road.

At the time of the deal, this was the greatest move of all time by the Bears and I agreed with that, but if you aren't somewhat questioning it now, then I believe you are overly confident in Cutler's abilities, because he has yet to show much of anything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
mray10 wrote:

He's 26!

At one point, so too were Drew Bledsoe and Jeff George.

So were Peyton Manning and Boomer Esiason. What's your point?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:20 am 
Force of Nature

dkfan9 wrote:
tell that to mickey

The fuck you say about me boi?

Also, this trade worked out really well for the Bears, huh? Let's not forget all those draft picks they gave up too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports