Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Jay Cutler Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:09 pm 
Got Some

His wins were against Pittsburgh, a Hasselbackless Seattle, Cleveland, and Detroit. Is that really that impressive?

Anybody else could have won that game against San Francisco. They tried to hand that game to Chicago and Cutler just handed it right back to them.

Last edited by Scrub12 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
they do have the largest and hardest piece to the puzzle and that is Jay Cutler

Other than being able to throw the ball really hard and really far, what exactly do you see in Jay Cutler that leads you to believe he's the piece to any puzzle that includes playoff success?

That he has 4 wins this year with this offense. People outside of Chicago don't understand how bad our receivers are and yet, they all have decent numbers. That points to only one guy, Jay Cutler.

How'd he do last year with Mike Shanahan and Brandon Marshall?

I never said Cutler was a finished product. Not many quarterbacks are after his service time. The thing is, usually, teams don't even get a chance to obtain a guy like Cutler. So i can't fault the move in getting him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:15 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Scrub12 wrote:
His wins were against Pittsburgh, a Hasselbackless Seattle, Cleveland, and Detroit. Is that really that impressive?

They're not, but the answer still stands, Orton would be 1-8 with this group. You guys don't understand how bad this team is. But i'm not saying that Cutler playing well either. When you line doesn't block, and your receivers don't run routes and have zero experience, this is what happens. The last thing i'm gonna do is blame Cutler. Anybody who's watched the games would tell you that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:30 pm 
AnalLog

so who exactly is to blame for throwing into tripple coverage?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

warehouse wrote:
so who exactly is to blame for throwing into tripple coverage?

I'm not saying Cutler is having a good year. But when you have 2 seconds to throw to receivers who don't finish routes, and have zero insticts, those things are going to happen, a lot. Lets look at our receivers.

Hester - Never played WR ever, i wonder why. He got paid so they have to put him somewhere.

Bennett - This is the same guy who didn't see the field last year because he couldn't grasp the playbook.

Knox - A speedy rookie, with no other skills.

Olsen - He's good, but gets doubled nearly every time, and for good reason.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

better than Denver's defense

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:27 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
thodoks wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
they do have the largest and hardest piece to the puzzle and that is Jay Cutler

Other than being able to throw the ball really hard and really far, what exactly do you see in Jay Cutler that leads you to believe he's the piece to any puzzle that includes playoff success?

That he has 4 wins this year with this offense. People outside of Chicago don't understand how bad our receivers are and yet, they all have decent numbers. That points to only one guy, Jay Cutler.

How'd he do last year with Mike Shanahan and Brandon Marshall?

whoops, forgot the quote

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

pnjguy wrote:
And don't worry about Cutler interceptions, his total is a lot less in his 4 years then a number of hall of fame quarterbacks.

Can I have some names?

Yes the team around him bad, but he is playing awful himself. Its not as if he is playing well and the players around him are letting him down. A qb that is playing well, regardless of whats around would not have 17 picks at this point, and maybe not even for the season. He needs to get alot better, because this team is awful, and it isn't going to get better anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
pnjguy wrote:
And don't worry about Cutler interceptions, his total is a lot less in his 4 years then a number of hall of fame quarterbacks.

Can I have some names?

Yes the team around him bad, but he is playing awful himself. Its not as if he is playing well and the players around him are letting him down. A qb that is playing well, regardless of whats around would not have 17 picks at this point, and maybe not even for the season. He needs to get alot better, because this team is awful, and it isn't going to get better anytime soon.

I heard it on the radio, but Manning, Elway, Namath were some of the names.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

pnjguy wrote:
Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

Can I have some names?

I heard it on the radio, but Manning, Elway, Namath were some of the names.

I heard those names as well, along with Marino. The thing about those names are they all accomplished something major in those first 4 years. Marino and Elway both went to Super Bowls, Namath won a Super Bowl, and Manning took the Colts from 3-13 to 13-3 in his second year, and will agruable go down as the greatest qb of all time.

Cutler has come no where close do doing anything like that, he hasn't even made the playoffs. To this point in his career he has been overrated, but his upside is still huge, and I still think he will deliver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 pm 
statistically insignificant

If Jay Cutler were a stock, I'd short it into the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:13 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
If Jay Cutler were a stock, I'd short it into the ground.

If Kyle Orton were a stock......wait, i would never buy Kyle Orton stock, unless it's a penny stock. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:53 pm 
Administrator

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m ... &type=lgns

Brian Urlacher wrote:
Look, I love Jay, and I understand he’s a great player who can take us a long way, and I still have faith in him,” Urlacher said. “But I hate the way our identity has changed. We used to establish the run and wear teams down and try not to make mistakes, and we’d rely on our defense to keep us in the game and make big plays to put us in position to win. Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:05 pm 

oh snap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Green Habit wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-morningrush113009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Brian Urlacher wrote:
Look, I love Jay, and I understand he’s a great player who can take us a long way, and I still have faith in him,” Urlacher said. “But I hate the way our identity has changed. We used to establish the run and wear teams down and try not to make mistakes, and we’d rely on our defense to keep us in the game and make big plays to put us in position to win. Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth.

That quote is more of an indictment on OC Turner (and maybe the OL that can't run block) than Cutler.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:13 pm 

Brian Urlacher wrote:
"...Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth."

If Urlacher is saying this publicly, how many of his teammates are thinking it privately?

Ruh-roh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:18 pm 
a joke

I hate most of the teams pnjguy hates. In fact i really hate most them, and root against them everytime they play.

BUT he might be the best fan on this board. He defends his team and players no matter how bad/stupid/sucky they might be. He is the eternal sports fan optimist (rios could still be good!!!, peavy for a month is going to help us win the division!!, etc) and i applaud him for that.

Much like me, he allows blind hope and optimism to cloud his judgment regarding his favorite teams... and its a good thing.

SHELTON!!!
LIONS!!!
DARKO!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:22 pm 

edzeppe wrote:
I hate most of the teams pnjguy hates. In fact i really hate most them, and root against them everytime they play.

BUT he might be the best fan on this board. He defends his team and players no matter how bad/stupid/sucky they might be. He is the eternal sports fan optimist (rios could still be good!!!, peavy for a month is going to help us win the division!!, etc) and i applaud him for that.

Much like me, he allows blind hope and optimism to cloud his judgment regarding his favorite teams... and its a good thing.

SHELTON!!!
LIONS!!!
DARKO!!!!

You're a f*cking joke, you know that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:24 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

SHELTON!!!
LIONS!!!
DARKO!!!!

Why the "*"?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 pm 

homersheineken wrote:
thodoks wrote:
edzeppe wrote:

SHELTON!!!
LIONS!!!
DARKO!!!!

Why the "*"?

Sometimes I steal Lenny's schticks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports