Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2011 Season: Home of R2C2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Samwise wrote:
This Oswalt situation is not looking good. I saw Tim Kurkjian saying today that we probably shouldn't look to expect him to be the same old Roy Oswalt (that he was at the start of the season) for the whole rest of the year. And this could very well heavily inform on the rest of his career, not that that'll be that long anyway. I'm thinking now more than ever that having "the big 4" really will only be one season long, that when come next year we won't be able to pick up Oswalt's option (for like $14M or something) and give Hamels the juicy new contract that he'll be expecting, and that surely other teams will be willing to give him. I think in this 3 year deal he's been making $8M per, and for another probably 3 year deal he'd get at the very least $12M, and that's a very conservative guess. Possibly more like 15.

And I knew that Lidge and Blanton were still out long term, not to be seen until August or so, but apparently Contreras is on that list as well. Actually KRod was quoted today as saying if he was traded to a contender, he'd be willing to just be a set up man and not the closer. I wonder if we'd go there...

I read that Phils closers, cumulatively, have the best numbers in the league (ERA, close percentage, etc).

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Samwise wrote:
This Oswalt situation is not looking good. I saw Tim Kurkjian saying today that we probably shouldn't look to expect him to be the same old Roy Oswalt (that he was at the start of the season) for the whole rest of the year. And this could very well heavily inform on the rest of his career, not that that'll be that long anyway. I'm thinking now more than ever that having "the big 4" really will only be one season long, that when come next year we won't be able to pick up Oswalt's option (for like $14M or something) and give Hamels the juicy new contract that he'll be expecting, and that surely other teams will be willing to give him. I think in this 3 year deal he's been making $8M per, and for another probably 3 year deal he'd get at the very least $12M, and that's a very conservative guess. Possibly more like 15.

And I knew that Lidge and Blanton were still out long term, not to be seen until August or so, but apparently Contreras is on that list as well. Actually KRod was quoted today as saying if he was traded to a contender, he'd be willing to just be a set up man and not the closer. I wonder if we'd go there...

I read that Phils closers, cumulatively, have the best numbers in the league (ERA, close percentage, etc).

Yea, I'm pretty sure they are. And they have the least innings pitched of any bullpen in the game. Though not all that surprising, considering.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Had a pretty cool realization today. If we go just 30-23 in our remaining games, that gets us to 100 wins (all time high is 101 in 1976). Not that that means much for the playoffs of course, just as long as we get in, but still.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:22 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

42 games over .500 for the first time in franchise history.

Post subject: Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2010 Season: NL Pennant 3Peat, Anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:56 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mowbs wrote:
Samwise wrote:
Oh and gee, in some actual news, if some haven't been keeping up, we've now signed Joe Blanton to an extension, 3yrs/$24M, and Victorino as well, 3yrs/$22M.

yea i just read this on the phils site. hallday, hamels, happ and blanton through 2012 :thumbsup:

i wonder what reliever they're gonna end up with...

I was just back here looking down the first page of this thread for the first time in awhile, and got a chuckle out of the bolded above. Like with the "thumbs up" hand you're rather proud and excited to have that as our rotation :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Philadelphia Phillies 2011 Season: Quintuplet NL East Titles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:09 pm 
Unthought Known

what's it like to have ownership that spends money for talent?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Electromatic wrote:
what's it like to have ownership that spends money for talent?

Well hey believe me we had such ownership ourselves for a loooooooooooooong ass time. So I'd like to think lots of us up here are trying real hard not to take for granted what we have now. Really sincerely appreciate it.

Although the funny thing is, okay even when we finally turned the corner back in like 2003 and did the big money splash on bringing Jim Thome here, while yea sure that was something of a bold move by former GM Ed Wade, he also inexplicably gave out no-trade clauses in contracts like he was giving out candy bars. I mean for Thome yea I can understand, but for fucks sake, when we brought in David Bell from the Giants on a 4 year deal at I think roughly $7M per, he got a friggin full no-trade clause!! :shake: :haha:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:10 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I know hardly anyone even posts in here anymore, hell even I do most of mine in the general MLB thread, but anyone for other Phils fans, I did this same thing last year, well now I've put together a 2011 Phillies highlight reel. Just for the regular season of course, I'm hoping I'll have a reason to make a "full" playoffs video as well. used a little PJ in fact, as well as the Who for my soundtrack.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xla84x ... hts_webcam

I tweeted the link to a few different baseball people around town today, I'm a big fan of Michael Barkann on CSN and he actually gave me a nice compliment and retweeted it.

(btw on a more sour note, if you've not yet heard, after this afternoon in game 1, we're now officially the only team in major league history to have lost 7 straight games after winning the 98th game of our season)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports