Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 551 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Well?
Poll ended at Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:43 pm
Colts 56%  56%  [ 29 ]
Saints 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Super Bowl XLIV
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:22 pm 
AnalLog

bmacsmith wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
I hope Williams is fired over it, not because i care about bounties, but because his defense fucking sucks.

I didn't know you were such a big Rams fan.
that's what i was thinking.

wow i have really been out of the loop lately. i generally shut down sports after football until baseball season.

i guess ALex Smith didnt have a bounty on him. too bad.

this probably happens everywhere, and i doubt it makes much difference. defensive players trying to hurt offensive ones!!! SHOCKING! I'm sure that ten grand is a huge motivator for millionaires who get fined more than that for weaker hits.
if it was only players involved i would agree w/ you. however, this has implicated multiple coaches and the GM. its an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:36 pm 
AnalLog

Yeah it's really more that Gregg Williams was promoting it and the team did nothing to stop it. I'm sure players make stupid wagers/contests with each other all the time, but the team doesn't sanction them.

The guy who does that "Inside the Playbook" column played for Williams with the Redskins so I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about it.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 pm 
Unthought Known

its low class and shouldnt be allowed, but i doubt it had any real in-game effect. talk of asterisks is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:36 pm 
AnalLog

I don't know man, I've definitely gotten the impression over the last few years that the Saints go after people pretty hard, QBs especially. I hate Favre so I enjoyed that NFC championship game, but the Kurt Warner game before that was hard to watch.

And FWIW, the Saints are one of my favorite teams in the league and I was thrilled when they won the SB.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:43 pm 
Unthought Known

Orpheus wrote:
I don't know man, I've definitely gotten the impression over the last few years that the Saints go after people pretty hard, QBs especially. I hate Favre so I enjoyed that NFC championship game, but the Kurt Warner game before that was hard to watch.

And FWIW, the Saints are one of my favorite teams in the league and I was thrilled when they won the SB.

if they were giving gold stars instead of money would it be any different? I just dont see what ammoral footbal coaches (most of them) would do differently without a bounty rule if they decided that a fifteen yard penalty is worth taking out the other team's qb. but again, i think they were mostly within the rules with the pressure they put on Favre and Warner. they were definitely hitting them as hard as they could, but up until the last couple years, everyone tried to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:54 pm 
AnalLog

Quote:
Prices were set on Saturday nights in the team hotel.

In a makeshift meeting room, with the whisper of evening traffic pouring in from the Beltway, we laid our bounties on opposing players. We targeted big names, our sights set on taking them out of the game.

Price tags started low during the regular season — a couple hundred bucks for going after the quarterback hard or taking a running back out below the knees. Chop him down and give a quick smile when you got back to the huddle. You just got a bonus.

The pot was collected throughout the season through fines. Show up late? Ding. Blow an assignment during practice? Again. Walk on the field with your chinstrap unbuckled. Again. Break the rules, you gave to the bank.

The cash was kept stashed away at the team facility, in safe hands. After coaches reviewed Sunday's film, we paid it back out. Our accountability, governed by our accounting.

That's right. We got paid for big hits, clean hits by the rule book.

Money came in for more than watching a guy leave the field. We earned extra for interceptions, sacks and forced fumbles. If the till wasn't paid out, we just rolled it over.

Money jumped in the playoffs. A bigger stage equaled more coin. Instead of a few hundred dollars, now you got a thousand, maybe more, depending on the player.

That's the truth. I can't sugarcoat this. It was a system we all bought into.

I ate it up.

It's hard not to, not when you're playing for a coach like Gregg Williams, my defensive coordinator while I was with the Washington Redskins.

Williams is an excellent motivator. You do what he wants: play tough, push the envelope and carry a swagger that every opponent sees on tape. When you lined up against us, you knew we were coming after you. It was our gig, our plan, our way to motivate, to extra-motivate.

I wanted to be That Guy for him, playing the game with an attitude opposing players absolutely feared. If that meant playing through the whistle or going low on a tackle, I did it.

I don't regret any part of it. I can't. Williams is the best coach I ever played for in my years in the NFL, a true teacher who developed me as a player. I believed in him. I still do. That will never change.

Your career exists in a short window, one that starts closing the moment it opens. If making a play to impress a coach or win a game pushes that window up an inch before it slams back down on your fingers, then you do what has to be done.

Some day, when my three sons grow up, I will make clear to them that this league isn't for everyone. No doubt, it can be downright disgusting living by a win-at-all-costs mentality. It's a fundamental part of the NFL's culture that isn't talked about outside of team facilities.

I'm not saying it's right. Or ethical. But the NFL isn't little league football with neighborhood dads playing head coach. This is the business of winning. If that means stepping over some line, you do it.

Bounties, cheap shots, whatever you want to call them, they are a part of this game. It is an ugly tradition that was exposed Friday with Williams front and center from his time coaching the defense in New Orleans. But don't peg this on him alone. You will find it in plenty of NFL cities.

Win or else. That's the drill.

Special contributor Matt Bowen, who played at Glenbard West and Iowa, spent seven seasons in the NFL as a strong safety. You also can find his work at nationalfootballpost.com
bmac, as always, if it didn't benefit the team/winning, they wouldn't have done it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:59 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
Quote:
Prices were set on Saturday nights in the team hotel.

In a makeshift meeting room, with the whisper of evening traffic pouring in from the Beltway, we laid our bounties on opposing players. We targeted big names, our sights set on taking them out of the game.

Price tags started low during the regular season — a couple hundred bucks for going after the quarterback hard or taking a running back out below the knees. Chop him down and give a quick smile when you got back to the huddle. You just got a bonus.

The pot was collected throughout the season through fines. Show up late? Ding. Blow an assignment during practice? Again. Walk on the field with your chinstrap unbuckled. Again. Break the rules, you gave to the bank.

The cash was kept stashed away at the team facility, in safe hands. After coaches reviewed Sunday's film, we paid it back out. Our accountability, governed by our accounting.

That's right. We got paid for big hits, clean hits by the rule book.

Money came in for more than watching a guy leave the field. We earned extra for interceptions, sacks and forced fumbles. If the till wasn't paid out, we just rolled it over.

Money jumped in the playoffs. A bigger stage equaled more coin. Instead of a few hundred dollars, now you got a thousand, maybe more, depending on the player.

That's the truth. I can't sugarcoat this. It was a system we all bought into.

I ate it up.

It's hard not to, not when you're playing for a coach like Gregg Williams, my defensive coordinator while I was with the Washington Redskins.

Williams is an excellent motivator. You do what he wants: play tough, push the envelope and carry a swagger that every opponent sees on tape. When you lined up against us, you knew we were coming after you. It was our gig, our plan, our way to motivate, to extra-motivate.

I wanted to be That Guy for him, playing the game with an attitude opposing players absolutely feared. If that meant playing through the whistle or going low on a tackle, I did it.

I don't regret any part of it. I can't. Williams is the best coach I ever played for in my years in the NFL, a true teacher who developed me as a player. I believed in him. I still do. That will never change.

Your career exists in a short window, one that starts closing the moment it opens. If making a play to impress a coach or win a game pushes that window up an inch before it slams back down on your fingers, then you do what has to be done.

Some day, when my three sons grow up, I will make clear to them that this league isn't for everyone. No doubt, it can be downright disgusting living by a win-at-all-costs mentality. It's a fundamental part of the NFL's culture that isn't talked about outside of team facilities.

I'm not saying it's right. Or ethical. But the NFL isn't little league football with neighborhood dads playing head coach. This is the business of winning. If that means stepping over some line, you do it.

Bounties, cheap shots, whatever you want to call them, they are a part of this game. It is an ugly tradition that was exposed Friday with Williams front and center from his time coaching the defense in New Orleans. But don't peg this on him alone. You will find it in plenty of NFL cities.

Win or else. That's the drill.

Special contributor Matt Bowen, who played at Glenbard West and Iowa, spent seven seasons in the NFL as a strong safety. You also can find his work at nationalfootballpost.com
bmac, as always, if it didn't benefit the team/winning, they wouldn't have done it.

so the real crime here is over motivation? OH THE HUMANITY!

Last edited by bmacsmith on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 pm 
statistically insignificant

bmacsmith wrote:
its low class and shouldnt be allowed, but i doubt it had any real in-game effect. talk of asterisks is ridiculous.

While I agree talk of asterisks is ridiculous, it absolutely had a real in-game effect.

If it had no effect, why do it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:04 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

While I agree talk of asterisks is ridiculous, it absolutely had a real in-game effect.

what about the baseball bats they bring out? isn't that equally as bad?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 pm 
AnalLog

i have to take a moment to apologize to all of RM for being this stupid after the spygate news broke.

as for you, bmac:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 pm 

Um, what about baseball bats?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 pm 

Yeah, I'm glad I never took the position that filming opponents' signals didn't benefit New England. It did, just not in the way that most conclude.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:10 pm 
Unthought Known

yes yes i'm sure offering a millionaire football player some pocket change causes him to unleash his true inner power to destroy opposing offenses through any means available! no wonder its illegal! no one ever accused the NFL of having any stupid rules, thats for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
Um, what about baseball bats?

well apparently it can overmotivate defenses to hit harder than they normally would! dont you see? its dangerous!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:12 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

thodoks wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

of course it has an effect, but this is helmet stickers or the biggest hit bat on steroids. it's not unfairly slanting the competition, it's part of a big play defense strategy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:25 am 
AnalLog

this don't look good for Payton:

Quote:
Michael Ornstein is the name to know. As first reported by CBS's Mike Freeman, Ornstein—a close friend and confidant of Sean Payton—Ornstein on at least four occasions pledged his own money to the Saints' defense's bounty fund. In 2009, $10,000 toward knocking an opposing quarterback out of the game. In 2011, two separate contributions to targeting the quarterback. And on at least one other occasion, Ornstein pledged his money in an email to Payton, which spelled out the details of the bounty program.

The NFL knows this because it has that email, a highly incriminating paper trail that makes it impossible for Payton to argue his innocence, or for the Saints to claim the bounty never left the locker room. It might be the single most damaging piece of evidence, based solely on Ornstein's history.

http://deadspin.com/5890499/meet-the-co ... the-bounty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:20 pm 
AnalLog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:37 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:

Bring out the Bounty and Take out the Best!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:38 pm 
a joke

Electromatic wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

Bring out the Bounty and Take out the Best!

He was injured well before the Saints game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 551 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports