Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Washington Redskins Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:44 pm 
Unthought Known

Its official. We blow. Sound the trumpet for Taps and break out the wrecking ball because this team is going nowhere and Danny Boy'll blow it up once again in the offseason.

We have old aging receivers and a back that's past his prime. Our O line is shaky at best and our defensive line has been plagued with the Haynesworth debacle. We've got 4-3 players playing 3-4, a scheme they're not suited to play, and corners who can't tackle worth anything. As far as I'm concerned we're 0-3 considering we beat Dallas on a technicality at the end of a game they had come back to win on the last play. We just lost to one of the worst teams in the league, a la the Lions last season, and we haven't given McNabb a single reason to sign an extension. He'll leave in the offseason and like always, there's gonna be a 50% chance the coaching regime changes AGAIN.

We're about to enter the lions' den of QBs. Vick, Manning, Rogers. The schedule only gets harder from here on out. See that dream of .500 flying away? No chance this team goes anywhere this year. Snyder has this lingering cloud of "loser" hanging over himself and the city. Until he goes, we'll forever be on the bottom looking up.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Its official. We blow. Sound the trumpet for Taps and break out the wrecking ball because this team is going nowhere and Danny Boy'll blow it up once again in the offseason.

We have old aging receivers and a back that's past his prime. Our O line is shaky at best and our defensive line has been plagued with the Haynesworth debacle. We've got 4-3 players playing 3-4, a scheme they're not suited to play, and corners who can't tackle worth anything. As far as I'm concerned we're 0-3 considering we beat Dallas on a technicality at the end of a game they had come back to win on the last play. We just lost to one of the worst teams in the league, a la the Lions last season, and we haven't given McNabb a single reason to sign an extension. He'll leave in the offseason and like always, there's gonna be a 50% chance the coaching regime changes AGAIN.

We're about to enter the lions' den of QBs. Vick, Manning, Rogers. The schedule only gets harder from here on out. See that dream of .500 flying away? No chance this team goes anywhere this year. Snyder has this lingering cloud of "loser" hanging over himself and the city. Until he goes, we'll forever be on the bottom looking up.

Over the last few years, I'd typically agree with you here. But...with the Shanahan's here and Bruce Allen, I feel the team is on the right track. Unfortunately, I don't think this year the team will be much better than mediocre. There are simply too many needs the team has to fix this thing. I hate to think of the off-season already, and would like to enjoy football now, but every game I've seen this year, the noticeable weaknesses just glare out.

We basically need a whole new team...We desperately need a play maker WR and RB, in addition to more O Line depth (1 more Tackle, 2 Guards, and a Center are all needed). That's 6 guys right there! We also need the players to effectively run a 3-4 Defense. So we're gonna need a big boy NT, depth at DT, at least 1 or 2 OLBs, 1 ILB, a lock-down CB (with hands please), and a FS (that's at least 5 players). Bottom line, this team is probably about 2 years away from being a relevant force in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:57 pm 
Unthought Known

They are getting better. They did think they were just going to walk into the edward jones dome and get a free win.

Sam Bradford is pretty good. The skins have A LOT of clensing to do in the locker room.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46 pm 
Unthought Known

My brother and I have Packers tickets. I was looking forward to it, despite how much I hate going to Redskins Stadium and dealing with the cramped metro and horrific traffic. Now, it just seems like a total waste of time to go up there and spend a day watching them get trounced.

The team is centered around McNabb's ability as a passer, but considering he was traded here and didn't necessarily want to be here, I can't imagine he'll stay with an organization that's desperately trying to rebuild when he's all about winning a championship while he can. Even if we do address certain issues for next year, what does that matter if we're left with Rex Grossman as our starter?

I'm telling you, since The Boy King bought this team, its been one endless nightmare of bad karma.

The only consolation I have right now is that at least there won't be football next year. We won't have to watch trainwreck after trainwreck with this team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:23 pm 
Unthought Known

I'm supposed to be going to the Packers game too (a buddy has season tix in the nosebleed section)...I'm wondering the same thing...Maybe I just stay at home and watch on TV.

re: McNabb...I dunno...Money talks, and Dan has A LOT of if. If they pay him right, and build a team around him (money RB, solid WR, O-Line depth) he may be inclined to stay. But...you're probably right. This season will be a mess, everybody on the team will play the blame game, and come the off-season, McNabb bolts for a stable franchise.

If McNabb does stay, and we get some good support for him, I think the team will be improved next year. Oh, BTW, seems like I say that every year :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:47 am 
Unthought Known

When we beat Dallas, my initial thoughts were "even if we don't win another game this season, at least we beat Dallas and started off with a win." Now it looks like we might not win another game at all :lol:.

The Sports Junkies made a good point this morning: Haslett's running the 3-4 with Albert Haynesworth, Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter, and Phillip Daniels. What the hell's wrong with using the 4-3?! That's what we won our Super Bowls with. That's what those linemen know. That's what we had a top-10 defense with last year. We bring Haslett in and now our defense is the worst in the league. Thank you, Dan Snyder.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:06 pm 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
When we beat Dallas, my initial thoughts were "even if we don't win another game this season, at least we beat Dallas and started off with a win." Now it looks like we might not win another game at all :lol:.

The Sports Junkies made a good point this morning: Haslett's running the 3-4 with Albert Haynesworth, Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter, and Phillip Daniels. What the hell's wrong with using the 4-3?! That's what we won our Super Bowls with. That's what those linemen know. That's what we had a top-10 defense with last year. We bring Haslett in and now our defense is the worst in the league. Thank you, Dan Snyder.

I don't know you can blame Dan Snyder for the 3-4 move...I mean it's what Shanahan wanted, but Snyder did hire him, so ultimately I reckon it is his fault.

I do agree that for this year, the team should have stuck with a base 4-3. This is what the team has been built on, and this is what they have the players for. In the long run, in today's NFL, I do think the 3-4 is better than the 4-3. It may not be as good at run stuffing, but it's better for pass coverage, and it's easier to confuse Offenses b/c blitzes can come from anywhere. Just look at how lock down teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have been.

If the Redskins keep the same coaches next year, and are committed to the 34 Base, I think an immediate need is getting the Linebackers in place. Via Free Agency and the Draft, the team should bare minimum get two Linebackers (one IBL, one OLB). I think Orakapo, and McIntosh will do just fine in the 3-4, but Carter and Fletcher are just out of place (and Fletch is my favorite player on the team). Another big need the team needs will be a hoss NT. That position is probably the most important in the 3-4, and it's clear things with Haynesworth are just not going to work out.

These next few weeks have me nervous as the team is facing good to great offenses in Philly, Indy, and Green Bay. Unfortunately, I don't see them winning any of those games, thus resulting in a 1-5 start :(.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 pm 
Unthought Known

Here is a breakdown of what I think the Redskins need (if only I were GM ;))

Sadly, I'm already ready for the off-season to see if the team addresses the following, glaring needs (we basically need a new team):

Offensive needs:

WR - we desperately need a #1 receiver so Moss can be in his proper role as a #2.
RB - it's obvious Portis is running out of gas, and we really need youth and speed here.
OG - We need 1 starter and 1 for depth.
C - Rabuach(sp?) is old, we need a young hoss to hunker down the line.
QB - McNabb may be one n' done, then what?

Defense:

NT - this is the anchor of a 3-4 D, and we need a manimal here.
OLB - I like Andre Carter, but he is a DE, not an OLB. We need 2 of these.
ILB - London is old, we need youth.
CB - we could use some reliable depth, especially for Nickel packages.
FS - we need another Sean Taylor, or as close as you can get.

Of all those positions, I'd rank WR, RB, LB, and Center as the most critical needs.

With all those positions needing upgrades, I'd say we're about 2 years off from being worth a damn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:34 am 
Unthought Known

By barely beating Philly, that makes three nail-biting finishes and one pummeling loss by a woeful St. Louis team. The Eagles had the win if Jason Avant could've squeezed a little harder.

I'm glad Donovan got the win (against a division rival too), but our defense still needs work, our offense disappeared in the second half, and for the love of God, someone please put super glue on Carlos Rogers' gloves!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:42 pm 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
By barely beating Philly, that makes three nail-biting finishes and one pummeling loss by a woeful St. Louis team. The Eagles had the win if Jason Avant could've squeezed a little harder.

I'm glad Donovan got the win (against a division rival too), but our defense still needs work, our offense disappeared in the second half, and for the love of God, someone please put super glue on Carlos Rogers' gloves!!

I'm not sure what is up with Carlos...it seems like this is the case every season where he just can't catch the ball. I really don't know if I've ever seen a Corner than has worse hands. He thinks of himself as an elite corner, and he is good at coverage and tackling, but...that is only 2/3 of the elements...to be an elite CB, he's gonna have to get some interceptions.

I'm pretty sure the Redskins are trying their best to give me a heart attack this year! Really, how did the offense completely run out of steam in the 2nd half? They actually look damn good the 1st half, so what happened? I don't feel very good about the game, but a win is a win. At the end of the season, we'll probably barely remember this game, and it's the win/loss column that matters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:12 pm 
Unthought Known

What a game against the Packers. I'm so sunburned and tired, but that was a great game. We were listening to Snyder's station with Larry, Sonny, and Sam calling the game and it was cool to hear them analyze what was happening live in front of us, but as long as we had headphones on, the Skins played like ass. As soon as we ditched the live call and just started watching and cheering our heads off, the Skins woke up and rallied. An amusing coincidence for sure.

My brother wandered around the Hall of Fame store as I went out to watch some of the Comcast coverage. Ed Simmons was there signing autographs with his two Super Bowl rings, and I got to quickly shake Landry's hand as they carted him off after his interview. A good ending to a good day. Go Skins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:06 am 
Unthought Known

Such a headtrip. We beat Dallas and Green Bay but lose to St. Louis and Detroit? Huh??

The O-line's slowly melting down. McNabb's kind of inaccurate when he actually has time in the pocket. When he's running for his life, we've got no chance.

I hope we land Randy Moss, even with all the drama. Slim pickin's at receiver over in Ashburn.

But .500 after 8 weeks in a sub-par NFC? I'll take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:29 am 
Unthought Known

$78 million contract for McNabb and the Redskins are completely shitting the bed on MNF. Wow. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:36 am 
Unthought Known

Um :shake: for this first half.

I've heard the numbers on the Mcnabb deal were from the agent (not shocking) so it's probably nowhere close to what was published. Probably not as limiting for the team as it reads. Still doesn't excuse how stupid a 5 year deal is for a guy at his stage in his career.

Last edited by Electromatic on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:17 pm 
Unthought Known

Last night hurt, but I kinda marked it as a loss before the game anyway...I mean, the odds of sweeping in the NFC East are low. Next week will probably be another loss, and a 4-6 record. However, the team could beat the Bucs, Vikings, Cowboys (best chance of a sweep), split with the Giants, beat the Jags, go 9-7 and possible wildcard...

I'm not holding my breath or anything, but it could happen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 am 
Unthought Known

Kind of shocked to see that Laron Landry hasn't practiced in 3 weeks because of an achilles heel injury, but he's still starting. You'd think that with Shanahan's treatment of Haynesworth and not starting him when he's missed practice that the coach'd do the same thing to Landry. It just clearly shows how vindictive and spiteful of a guy Shanahan really is. Jake Plummer said he crossed Shanny in Denver and that he never let it go. Ugh. Why is it always such a travesty with this team?

Snyder might be a snake of a businessman, but when it comes to sports, he just has "loser" written all over him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:48 pm 
Unthought Known

I hear ya man. It's truly hard to get behind Synder and follow. He's just a crappy leader, and it's showed for over a decade now. I do however think that Shanahan and Allen can, if anything, bring some sort of stability. I felt that way with Gibbs v2, and while it was an overall underwhelming experience, the team made the playoffs twice in four years.

Football of course is up and down, and all teams have them. Unfortunately for us, we've been on the down side more often than not over the past 20 years. Trying to remember the "glory days" seems so difficult now. Like did it really happen? Basically, it was either the 49rs or Washington ruling the 1980's / early 90's. I really do think Bruce Allen wants quality, reliable guys on this team, and will build it that way (unlike Vinny). Shanahan may have an ego the size of Texas, but maybe once he gets "his" guys, and the Gibbs/Zorn era (sans a few) are gone, he'll cool out some. Maybe??

With such big time needs across the board, the off-season is hella important. The team essentially needs starters or decent back-ups at every position. For me, I really want to see the Lines, and Linebackers be the focus. If the team is committed to the 34 Defense, and that 4 means Linebackers, then I'd say that's extremely important to have the LB corp you want to run such a D. On the offensive side, the interior line needs work, now. A Center and a Guard are must haves. It sure wouldn't hurt to have another Guard and a OT either. Speaking of Tackles, the D really really needs a NT (my boy Jarvis Jenkins out of Clemson should be available in the 3rd round). Sadly, I haven't even mentioned the skill players. Depth at Corner is needed, a #1 WR is a big need, a future QB should be on the roster, if James Davis doesn't work out, the team is gonna need a RB, and finally they need a very good FS.

Considering the team only has 6 picks (as of today), this is going to be at least two off-seasons. If I were Allen/Shanahan, I'd do something like this with the picks (not in order): WR, DT/NT, OLB (compliment Orakapo on the other side), Center, Guard, Free Safety. The team would still have a lot of needs, but by getting a LT last draft, the team started in the right direction, and if the draft goes something like I hope, they'll be close...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:30 am 
Unthought Known

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is for this team to win a game by more than 3 points. Make it happen, big guy. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:08 pm 
Unthought Known

Wonder if the Vikings will be like the Cowboys of 2010 and rally around the new coach, or be more like the Redskins of 2000 (??) and continue to sink like they did under Terry Robinski...

And yes, I'd love to see the Redskins win a blow out game, it just seems like it's been way too long since the team won comfortably.

Looking forward to seeing James Davis on Sunday. He was a TD machine at Clemson, and has a running style very similar to Clinton Portis (single cuts, falls forward, pretty good speed, tough, and good vision).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:27 pm 
Unthought Known

Rumor has it that Clinton Portis is being put on IR. If this is true, I wonder if this means he's done as a Redskin....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports