Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Washington Redskins Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 pm 
Administrator

How's the ZBS been working? When they got Williams and Brown I was kind of skeptical that they were going to go full bore with it, but I also saw that Lichtensteiger (who Shanny drafted in 2008 in Denver) is also starting at guard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:05 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
How's the ZBS been working? When they got Williams and Brown I was kind of skeptical that they were going to go full bore with it, but I also saw that Lichtensteiger (who Shanny drafted in 2008 in Denver) is also starting at guard.

Hard to tell, b/c the team has such a patchwork O-Line. But...Torain, and Williams, 2 unknows, have both looked solid this season. I think James Davis may prove to be the back the team needed, especially once the O-Line is in place (I hope at least 2 of the 6 draft picks are used on O-Line). The future looks bright in Washington, and I think once a few more pieces are in place (probably 2 off-seasons) this will be a good, deep team, that makes playoff runs.

Last edited by darth_vedder on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 pm 
Unthought Known

I think its funny that once everyone went down in the Titans game and they shuffled players around the O-line, they were actually able to protect McNabb for more than one second. They gave Casey Rabach an extension, he blows out his knee, and then his replacement who hadn't played center in forever comes in an does a million times better. It feels like they're still trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of their players.

And yeah, Portis is on IR. I talked to my dad and he said the same thing. Once Portis left the game with another groin injury he said he thought we'd never see Portis in a Redskins uniform again. There's no way he's coming back next season. If anything we need to bring in younger talent. Look at the spark Kansas City's had with fresh blood this year.

I didn't think we could beat the Titans in Nashville, but thought we'd at least be able to handle the Vikings here at home. Now I'm not so sure. Favre can carve up a defense if he really gets his act together and can avoid the careless throws and INTs. It'd be great to have a winning record once again and string together a few more victories.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:14 pm 
Unthought Known

We just let a 40-year-old with two fractures in his foot scramble for a 1st down to ice the game.

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:03 am 
Unthought Known

Just watch. With one month left in the season, Dallas will end up having a better record than us. I'd be shocked (SHOCKED) if we didn't finish last in the division. Hail to the Redskins.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:41 pm 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Just watch. With one month left in the season, Dallas will end up having a better record than us. I'd be shocked (SHOCKED) if we didn't finish last in the division. Hail to the Redskins.

Yeah, any optimism I had is long gone. I'm just hoping we can finish 7-9 at this point. Hopefully we'll see some smart moves in the off-season, such as a beast DT, an OLB to compliment Orakapo, a Center, an OG, and a true #1 WR. I think the latter can make a huge difference, allowing Moss to go to the #2 WR slot, and Armstrong to the #3.

All in all though, I think it will take 2 more off-seasons to get the team to be a contender. There are needs, both starting and depth clear across the board (except Tight End), and with only 6 picks this draft, it's not gonna get done this coming off-season. Also, the team really needs to think about a QB. Sure the OL and DL need major upgrades, but McNabb is getting older and we need a young buck in there to call the shots. If the team doesn't draft a QB this April, they need to do something next off-season.

First off though, before lots of "playmakers", I want to see the team focus on both Lines and Linebackers. I've been saying, if the team is committed to the 34, meaning 4 Linebackers are going to be on the field, then they better be damn good.

If I could be GM, I'd do something like this....

Via the Draft: Center, Guard, DT, NT, OLB, and the 6th pick on one of the following: WR, RB, QB, FS, CB, ILB (best available). My focus however is on the O and D Lines.

Via Free Agency, I think going after a good WR, and FS would go a long way.

If something like that goes down, I'll be convinced this team is on the right track.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:50 pm 
Administrator

Annnnnd the team suspends Haynesworth for the rest of the season. Just cut his ass, Shanny.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:55 pm 
AnalLog

do the skins have any way of getting that $20M they gave him earlier this year?

also, mcnabb must be thrilled about this since no one is paying attention to how bad he is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:12 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
Annnnnd the team suspends Haynesworth for the rest of the season. Just cut his ass, Shanny.

Damn. I'm as sick of this shit as any Skins fan, but I hope there is some way we can get some value for him as opposed to just cutting him. At this point, I'd take a 4th round pick for him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:16 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:

also, mcnabb must be thrilled about this since no one is paying attention to how bad he is.

McNabb isn't doing great, but is just one of many problems. He can't help that the WR's are dropping balls...I've seen plenty of games this season where RBs and WR's dropped very catchable balls. Turn a few of those into catches, and McNabbs numbers greatly improve.

In addition to that, the interior O-Line is shit. Once the team upgrades the WR positions, and interior line, I think McNabb will do much better. Those things, are actually fixable this off-season, and I fully expect the team to draft and/or acquire an OG, C, and WR to help out McNabb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm 
Administrator

darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Damn. I'm as sick of this shit as any Skins fan, but I hope there is some way we can get some value for him as opposed to just cutting him. At this point, I'd take a 4th round pick for him.
You're right. I'm just sick of seeing the Skins having to deal with his douchebaggery again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:25 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
warehouse wrote:

McNabb isn't doing great, but is just one of many problems. He can't help that the WR's are dropping balls...I've seen plenty of games this season where RBs and WR's dropped very catchable balls. Turn a few of those into catches, and McNabbs numbers greatly improve.

In addition to that, the interior O-Line is shit. Once the team upgrades the WR positions, and interior line, I think McNabb will do much better. Those things, are actually fixable this off-season, and I fully expect the team to draft and/or acquire an OG, C, and WR to help out McNabb.

part of the reason i think he's playing so bad is b/c ive been watching michael vick play so good. i was excited to see how mcnabb would do under a different coach and play caller, but its looking like andy reid played a bigger role in his success than i thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:37 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
You're right. I'm just sick of seeing the Skins having to deal with his douchebaggery again and again.

It's like a 20 year nightmare for the Redskins. Just add A. Haynesworth to the likes of Jeff Gorge, Neon Dion, Dana Stubblefield, and coaches and management like Vinny Cerrato and Steve Spurries. Basically, Dan Snyder has done about as shitty a job as an owner can.

Having said that, I think Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan can bring stability and winning, once they fully implement their system and get the guys they want for their system. I'll give it 2 more years, and if they are still in the same boat, I'll find other things to do on Sunday afternoons in the fall.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:39 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
warehouse wrote:

part of the reason i think he's playing so bad is b/c ive been watching michael vick play so good. i was excited to see how mcnabb would do under a different coach and play caller, but its looking like andy reid played a bigger role in his success than i thought.

Andy Reid is a great coach. I hate the Eagles, but I have respect for that guy. I really do think that once the Redskins get reliable depth and just one or 2 playmakers on the O side, McNabb will do fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:39 am 
Unthought Known

From what I heard on the radio today, I think they can reclaim a fraction of the $20 million they gave him, but its just all been a complete loss this season. The biggest disappointment would be if they let him go to a contender by cutting him, instead of trading him. They HAVE to get something for all the trouble he's been. Even a low draft pick. Whatever anyone offers, just take it and get rid of him. But this will ultimately be his legacy, that of a real low-class self-centered prima donna. He'll never be as great as Reggie White. He's just a low life.

Because of all this BS, its really been a wasted season. The roster will be purged again this coming offseason and hopefully... HOPEFULLY... they'll start building up the 3-4, go younger, look for speed, buttress their lines, look for a running game, and invest in a primary receiver. The only 2 bright spots this season have been fresh talent like Brandon Banks and Anthony Armstrong. And I bet Haslett's head is on the chopping block right now. They'll stick with the 3-4, but they may bring in someone else to run it. How can you go from a top 10 defense to dead last just like that??

I think this is definitely a long term commitment that's going to take more than a couple offseasons to put into play. If there isn't football next season because of a lockout, then that's just another year wasted. With a lockout, they might be able to be seen as a viable contender in 5 years if all goes relatively well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:39 pm 
Unthought Known

Yesterday's game perfectly summed up the Redskins of the past 16 years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 am 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:

I didn't really pay much attention. I'm so thankful my brother and I went to the Green Bay game instead of this one. We got to see a win in warm sunny weather. That just looked nasty standing out there in cold, cold rain.

I'm kind of hoping we lose the next three games if only to help our draft prospects.

And from the radio gibberish today, apparently there's a rumor that Shanahan's on the hot seat because Snyder's supposedly interested in Gruden. I'm sure that's out there simply because its what we've become accustomed to over the years. If Shanahan's thrown out, any respectable coach would be crazy to step up to fill the role. Leave it to the Boy King to destroy everything in the offseason because the team played like ass this season under a new coaching staff, QB, and defensive scheme.

If Snyder tears the team and management apart yet again, I'm reluctant to invest any time in paying attention whenever the next season happens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 pm 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

I didn't really pay much attention. I'm so thankful my brother and I went to the Green Bay game instead of this one. We got to see a win in warm sunny weather. That just looked nasty standing out there in cold, cold rain.

I'm kind of hoping we lose the next three games if only to help our draft prospects.

And from the radio gibberish today, apparently there's a rumor that Shanahan's on the hot seat because Snyder's supposedly interested in Gruden. I'm sure that's out there simply because its what we've become accustomed to over the years. If Shanahan's thrown out, any respectable coach would be crazy to step up to fill the role. Leave it to the Boy King to destroy everything in the offseason because the team played like ass this season under a new coaching staff, QB, and defensive scheme.

If Snyder tears the team and management apart yet again, I'm reluctant to invest any time in paying attention whenever the next season happens.

I don't think any of that will happen, and I really hope the team doesn't lose out! If anything, I want them to at least beat Dallas this week, so we can say we swept them this year; at this point, I'd take 6-10 and sweeping the Cowturds.

Back to Dan, yeah, no way he puts Shanny on the hot seat this year, that's just more "win now" type people spreading rumors. Bruce Allen has already said the focus in the off-season will be building the O and D Lines, and if this is true, the team doesn't need a top 10 draft pick as many linemen will be around in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. I wouldn't even mind trading our pick (probably around 12ish) for a later 1st round pick and additional picks later in the draft.

Also, one thing no one is talking about is how Bruce Allen cleaned up the books this year, and fixed the financial mess Cerrato put the team in. This is huge because it allows the team to go after some Free Agents. Bringing in a true #1 WR, and/or some LBs to fit the 34, could go a long way. I'm holding all judgement until I see how 2011 goes. This off-season is one of the most important in recent memory, and if the team does the right things, I can see them being a decent team next year with a solid foundation. Basically, I think it will be about 2 more years until we see a 10-6 / 11-5 type of team, but I do think they are on their way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:51 am 
Unthought Known

They cut Hunter the Punter for costing them the game. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:35 am 
Unthought Known

"Alienating our best players and ensuring that no top prospects even contemplate coming to DC... one week at a time."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports