Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Washington Redskins Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:07 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:
only someone dumb enough to teach him how to play qb

Speaking of contracts for short people and the NL East and potentially available WR's..... what's up with D Jax?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:08 pm 
AnalLog

he'll probably get franchised then shopped around. the eagles will keep him if they dont get any good offers, but i think he'll get moved.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm 
On the bright side

My stepson is a die hard 'Skins fan, so I have now been immersed in all this QB talk. As a Tampa Fan myself, I feel all of your pain. Personally I think that going after Peyton and taking one of the lesser ranked QB's in the second round to be mentored by Manning for a few years could be the way to go.

But I guess that all hinges on Manning being ready to go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 pm 
Unthought Known

Rebar wrote:
My stepson is a die hard 'Skins fan, so I have now been immersed in all this QB talk. As a Tampa Fan myself, I feel all of your pain. Personally I think that going after Peyton and taking one of the lesser ranked QB's in the second round to be mentored by Manning for a few years could be the way to go.

I wouldn't mind that scenario. Mainly because the team has many other needs other than QB, so by not trading up, and possibly trading down for more picks, they can really build their team, and continue drafting like they did last year (went in with 6 picks, came out with 12). See how it goes with Manning, then if needed, and Tannehill isn't adjusting well, draft a QB in 2013.

I would still prefer the team to try to go after Griffin, but if it's just too expensive (by that I mean giving up too many draft picks) then I'd rather not. Stuff like that just brings back bad memories of Vinny Cerrato.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:
Rebar wrote:

I wouldn't mind that scenario. Mainly because the team has many other needs other than QB, so by not trading up, and possibly trading down for more picks, they can really build their team, and continue drafting like they did last year (went in with 6 picks, came out with 12). See how it goes with Manning, then if needed, and Tannehill isn't adjusting well, draft a QB in 2013.

I would still prefer the team to try to go after Griffin, but if it's just too expensive (by that I mean giving up too many draft picks) then I'd rather not. Stuff like that just brings back bad memories of Vinny Cerrato.

That's the dilemma everyone sees. Do they go back to Snyder's old ways of opening up the checkbook for players that are past their prime or do they continue to try and build up young talent? I hope Peyton doesn't come here. There's been too many busts in the past, no matter how good his mind is, physically I can't imagine he's as good as he used to be. I'd rather they go after Griffin and as you said, address the other needs on the lines, the receivers, and corners.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 pm 
Unthought Known

But...if the team goes after Griffin, then that most likely means a trade with the Rams, and could be just too much. Meaning giving up a 2nd, next years 1st and 3rd, or some crazy situation like that. Should that be the case, then I'm not sure about going after him. The team really needs an ILB, O-Linemen, a #1 WR, a CB, and probably a FS and a SS. I doubt we could get Griffin, while giving up many draft picks, and still get the other guys we need. However, if the price is right, I'm all for Griffin, and waiting till next off-season to address most of the other needs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:02 am 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:
But...if the team goes after Griffin, then that most likely means a trade with the Rams, and could be just too much. Meaning giving up a 2nd, next years 1st and 3rd, or some crazy situation like that. Should that be the case, then I'm not sure about going after him. The team really needs an ILB, O-Linemen, a #1 WR, a CB, and probably a FS and a SS. I doubt we could get Griffin, while giving up many draft picks, and still get the other guys we need. However, if the price is right, I'm all for Griffin, and waiting till next off-season to address most of the other needs.

This seems to have been spot on, Darth. Washington swaps picks with St. Louis for this year's draft and gives up 3 number one picks (2012, 2013, 2014) and 1 second round pick (this year) to move into position to select Robert Griffin III.

The first report I read said only 2 number ones. Three? Wow, that's a lot riding on one guy. Crossing my fingers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:07 pm 
Got Some

holy shit! vikings fan here. this reminds me way too much of the herschel walker deal, except that he was at least a proven commodity. that trade had more to do with the cowboys winning 3 super bowls than any other factor.

snyder sure knows how to make a splash, but has he shown any ability to put the right talent together? i sincerely hope this works out for the skins, who make the league so much better when they're relevant, but three 1s and a 2? like i began, holy shit!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:27 pm 
On the bright side

I guess they are confident they can get him help through free agency over the next three years? Certainly this isn't a Super Bowl ready team, and without a first round pick until 2015, that seems like it is just setting him (RG3) up for failure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:31 pm 
Administrator

Rebar wrote:
I guess they are confident they can get him help through free agency over the next three years? Certainly this isn't a Super Bowl ready team, and without a first round pick until 2015, that seems like it is just setting him (RG3) up for failure.
That's my thought, as well. This better work for Shanny's sake. :shake:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:33 pm 
AnalLog

Are the Redskins the new Raiders?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:39 pm 
Administrator

EllisEamos wrote:
'Skins have been overpaying for players even before the Raiders fell off the cliff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:43 pm 
AnalLog

Green Habit wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
'Skins have been overpaying for players even before the Raiders fell off the cliff.
i was thinking there was a 40-time joke in here somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
Unthought Known

Yeah, there's a lot riding on this with the Shanahan's. If this doesn't work, who knows how Snyder will react. In the past, its just been blow up the organization and start over. Fans hope he's learned a little bit from this.

But if last year's draft showed anything its that Shanahan's shrewd enough to trade down and expand the number of picks to target specific areas. I'm sure we'll see that again, and with the Skins targeting wide receivers in free agency, this whole thing is a splash that seems to be making people in the area cautiously optimistic. Then again, we've been cautiously optimistic ever since Snyder took over and look how that's all worked out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:52 pm 
Unthought Known

Who knows if this move to the #2 spot pans out, but it does indeed put a whole lot of pressure on Griffen and Shanahan. I just hope people give it time...I mean, it's rare that a rookie has a massive impact. It happens yes, but even last year with Cam Newton, the Panthers didn't make the playoffs. I guess what I'm saying is that if the team finishes 6-10, I hope everyone isn't calling Griffen a bust, and saying Shanny needs to be fired. Hopefully this works from the get go, but I just don't see it happening, as the scheme and speed of the game is way different.

Fortunately, the team has tons of money to spend in Free Agency (Bruce Allen did a masterful job his first year cleaning the books), so even though they gave away 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder, they will be able to address needs at OL, WR, and CB via free agency. Also, who's not to say they trade down with the remaining picks to add more youth and depth to the roster.

All in all, I guess I am cautiously optimistic, but in a nutshell, below sums up what the Redskins have been for the better part of 20 years:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 pm 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:

Fortunately, the team has tons of money to spend in Free Agency (Bruce Allen did a masterful job his first year cleaning the books), so even though they gave away 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder, they will be able to address needs at OL, WR, and CB via free agency. Also, who's not to say they trade down with the remaining picks to add more youth and depth to the roster.

Shit! Right after I typed that, I see this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ome-teams/

"It widely was believed in 2010 that the Cowboys and Redskins had worked the system to take full advantage of the absence of a cap. Dallas, for example, gave receiver Miles Austin a base salary of $17 million in 2010.

Though not as troubling as the Saints’ bounty program, we’re hearing that punishment of some sort could be coming for the teams deemed to have disregarded the directive.

UPDATE 3:12 p.m. ET: It’s not just a rumor. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the league will remove “millions” in salary-cap space from the Cowboys and Redskins for their uncapped-year deals."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:19 pm 
statistically insignificant

$36 million from Washington's salary cap, to be precise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm 
Unthought Known

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:32 pm 
Administrator

That was a bullshit rule. What's the point of having an uncapped year if you can't use it to its fullest extent?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 pm 
statistically insignificant

Green Habit wrote:
That was a bullshit rule. What's the point of having an uncapped year if you can't use it to its fullest extent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports