Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: The Official Washington Redskins Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:53 pm 
Unthought Known

And to start it off...

Fuck Albert Haynesworth

And, thank you London Fletcher. Every player in the NFL should have your attitude, character and leadership. You are one of the very FEW things Vinny Cerato and Synder got right:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... insinsider

Post subject: Re: The Official Washington Redskins Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 pm 
Administrator

The Haynesworth thing will be interesting. Shanny has a very good track record of unloading players with ridiculous demands (Clinton Portis, Ashley Lelie), but the contract that he has to deal with is unprecedented.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 pm 
AnalLog

agreed, london flectcher is the man

please bump this thread everytime mcnabb throws at a receivers feet. thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:21 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
The Haynesworth thing will be interesting. Shanny has a very good track record of unloading players with ridiculous demands (Clinton Portis, Ashley Lelie), but the contract that he has to deal with is unprecedented.

Interesting that Shanny and Portis are together again...Sounds like Westbrook may sign as well, so the RB role is pretty crowded. I imagine if Westbrook is signed, Parker may get cut.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:

Hahaha. Hopefully this won't happen to often. I know the receivers are getting shit on right now, but Devon Thomas and Malcolm Kelley are entering their 3rd year, and that a lot of times is the break out year for receivers (see Miles Austin). Anyway, I think with Mike Shanahan the offense, and particularly the receivers will be much better. If Kelley and Thomas have at least mediocre to solid years, I think we'll be pretty good with Moss, Cooley, Davis, Portis, McNabb, etc...I can envision the Skins actually being capable of scoring more than 14pts per game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 pm 
Unthought Known

On a side note...Bruce Allen (new GM) has hinted that the Redskins will be going back to a more traditional look, like this:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:36 am 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Hahaha. Hopefully this won't happen to often. I know the receivers are getting shit on right now, but Devon Thomas and Malcolm Kelley are entering their 3rd year, and that a lot of times is the break out year for receivers (see Miles Austin). Anyway, I think with Mike Shanahan the offense, and particularly the receivers will be much better. If Kelley and Thomas have at least mediocre to solid years, I think we'll be pretty good with Moss, Cooley, Davis, Portis, McNabb, etc...I can envision the Skins actually being capable of scoring more than 14pts per game.

mcnabb never played in an offense that stressed the run, and im sure thats what they will do in dc this year. i expect cooley to benefit big time from 5 being there, but mcnabb will still throw 2-3 wormburners a game. im interested to see how they use him. he throws deep better than he throws short so expect some shots down the field.

still not sure where westbrook will sign, but i know the skins wanted him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 am 
Landry

goddamn redskins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:58 am 
Administrator

I'm eager to see how Shanny is going to use Cooley. The ZBS frequently requires a true fullback on the field, and I can't remember a Shanny offense that ever used an H-back. Can he revert to being a traditional pass-catching tight end?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 am 
Landry

Green Habit wrote:
I'm eager to see how Shanny is going to use Cooley. The ZBS frequently requires a true fullback on the field, and I can't remember a Shanny offense that ever used an H-back. Can he revert to being a traditional pass-catching tight end?

no

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:16 pm 
Unthought Known

parchy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

no

Yes. Cooley is pretty much our best receiver. Also, this is Mike Shanahan's O, but I'm not very sure how much different he is from his pops, as I didn't really watch any Texans games last year.

The D has me a bit worried though, and this is opposite of how things normally are...Typically the team is a top 10 D, but the O is way down in the 20's. I'm not sure how the guys will adjust to a 3-4 scheme. Add that to the Haynesworth drama, and it could be a big distraction / setback.

I know I'm a Redskins homer n'all, but I actually have a good feeling about this coming season. Last year, I predicted the Skins to go 5-11, and wasn't too far off. This year, I can definitely see them going 9-7 maybe 10-6 and a Wild Card.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:47 pm 
Administrator

Shanny has had an identity crisis with defense recently, which is almost certainly what doomed him in Denver in the end. I read he's going to a 3-4, which is something he's toyed with doing before but never went through with it. I would be prepared for some tough times on the defensive side for the beginning. Hopefully he gives Haslett a fair shake to do what he can do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:14 pm 
Landry

I think the skins will have the same problems with the 3-4 switch every team does in its first year. It's a pervasive switch. I have no idea if they'll still be able to be top 10, but I'd be interested to see what defenses did in their first years in the scheme. I think the Cowboys' first year in the 3-4 they were were near the bottom of the league in defense.

Do you know if its one gap or two gap?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:28 pm 
Unthought Known

parchy wrote:
I think the skins will have the same problems with the 3-4 switch every team does in its first year. It's a pervasive switch. I have no idea if they'll still be able to be top 10, but I'd be interested to see what defenses did in their first years in the scheme. I think the Cowboys' first year in the 3-4 they were were near the bottom of the league in defense.

Do you know if its one gap or two gap?

It's based off of the Steelers D, so whatever they do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:27 pm 
Unthought Known

Interesting take by Wilbon regarding the Haynesworth situation:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcspor ... _a_st.html

I don't necessarily agree with him, but the idea of the NFL toning down the offseason isn't a bad one. 20 yrs. ago, players were chilling out, partying, etc...now its workouts, mini camps, voluntary camps, mandatory camps, then summer training camp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:54 am 
Unthought Known

Bruce Allen was a good hire, and has already been a positive influence on the team. Things like below link, even if just a PR move, make me think the Redskins, despite Haynesworth, are continuing heading in the right direction. Although the new regime has yet to play a game together, I like the road Dan Snyder has finally gotten on. Small things like bringing in former players (who are in the HOF and have SB rings), goes a long way for team unity and identity. The Redskins, even though being a dismal franchise since the first Gibbs era, are a storied team. This isn't some shit franchise...They're an original charter team of the NFL, one of the very few teams to appear in 5 super bowls, have multiple Hall Of Famers, hell, even Lombardi coached them. Anyway, after ready the article, just got nostalgic, and it makes all the Albert crap seem so small.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... ay-of.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:31 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
warehouse wrote:

mcnabb never played in an offense that stressed the run, and im sure thats what they will do in dc this year. i expect cooley to benefit big time from 5 being there, but mcnabb will still throw 2-3 wormburners a game. im interested to see how they use him. he throws deep better than he throws short so expect some shots down the field.

still not sure where westbrook will sign, but i know the skins wanted him.

He seems very interested in the Skins as well...two motivating factors for him are that he's from the DC area, and his brother plays for the Redskins.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:29 pm 
Unthought Known

Skins v. Boys miracle finishes:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:35 pm 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

we actually have a Skins fan on the board!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:39 pm 
Unthought Known

Mecca wrote:
we actually have a Skins fan on the board!

Hell yes!

Are you a Bills fan? I see you're from Buffalo...I'll be rooting for them, b/c I follow Clemson to, and CJ is the real deal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports