Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Washington Redskins Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 pm 
AnalLog

pft wrote:
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the teams were told “at least six times” during ownership-level meetings that there would be “serious consequences” for any team that used the uncapped year as an occasion to dump salaries.
As far as I'm concerned, they get what they knew was coming.

the Redskins (and Dallas) can split the reduction of their cap over the next two years. So its $18M for D.C. ($5M for Dallas).

also, apparently everybody else, except OAK & NO, will receive $1.6M.

so, should this actually happen (D.C., DAL, and the NFLPA will likely fight it), the Skins would still have ~$12M to work w/, however the Boys would now be ~$1M over this year's cap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 pm 
Global Moderator

EllisEamos wrote:
pft wrote:
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the teams were told “at least six times” during ownership-level meetings that there would be “serious consequences” for any team that used the uncapped year as an occasion to dump salaries.

the Redskins (and Dallas) can split the reduction of their cap over the next two years. So its $18M for D.C. ($5M for Dallas).

so, should this actually happen (D.C., DAL, and the NFLPA will likely fight it), the Skins would still have ~$12M to work w/, however the Boys would now be ~$1M over this year's cap.

how much will RG3 get this year though? they have to account for that contract before they unload a ton of money for someone like VJax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 pm 
Administrator

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
pft wrote:

how much will RG3 get this year though? they have to account for that contract before they unload a ton of money for someone like VJax
This was Von Miller's contract (the last #2 overall pick):

[EDIT: found a better source]

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/von-miller/

$3.8 million cap hit for 2011. RGIII should be right around the $4 million number somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 pm 
AnalLog

EllisEamos wrote:
pft wrote:

pft wrote:
So why did the union agree? The sources explain that the NFL offered to help pump up the 2012 team-by-team salary cap in exchange for the union’s agreement to remove cap money from the Cowboys and Redskins. One source said that, without the NFLPA’s agreement regarding the removal of cap room from the Cowboys and Redskins, the 2012 salary cap would have been in the range of $116 million per team. (One source said that the number at one point was presented to the union as being a paltry $113.5 million.) With the players agreeing to remove $46 million from the Cowboys and Redskins, the league agreed to a massaging of the salary and benefit numbers in order to get the 2012 salary cap up to $120.6 million. (The recalculation also kicked in some additional money that otherwise would not have been devoted to salary and benefits for 2012.)
Demaurice Smith: Master of Negotiation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:49 pm 
Unthought Known

Oshiomogho Atogwe and Mike Sellars both released.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 am 
Unthought Known

Bruce Allen (GM) reply:

“The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets. Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency, the draft and the coming football season.”

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/03/12/sta ... p-reports/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 am 
AnalLog

the mayans were right... cowboys and redskins banding together?!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Unthought Known

Crazy, right? I think at this point I hate the Giants more because they keep winning. Sucks that the Redskins beat them twice this year (and GB last year) and they still won the SB. Then again, it's funny to me when the Cowboys fuck up; I get a good laugh out of that. With the Giants, I don't care as much, so maybe I do hate the Boys more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 pm 
Administrator

I'm already predicting he'll be a Redskin next season, though. Shanny + Virginia roots.
On WRs, I've predicted several times that the Redskins will sign Eddie Royal. They have a need, Shanny drafted him on the Broncos, and he was born and raised just across the Potomac. He'll be a cost effective answer at that position.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:54 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:

Spot on. And then Washington signed Garcon from Indy and Josh Morgan from SF so it definitely looks like they're eyeing weapons for RG3.

Man, if I were Andrew Luck, I'd be a little bummed that Indy's jettisoned everyone from the old team. They're going struggle for a few seasons at least.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Man, if I were Andrew Luck, I'd be a little bummed that Indy's jettisoned everyone from the old team. They're going struggle for a few seasons at least.
More important than a good set of receivers, Luck will have a good o-line. With the resigning of Reggie Wayne, I can see him being Luck's favorite receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

tyler wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
More important than a good set of receivers, Luck will have a good o-line. With the resigning of Reggie Wayne, I can see him being Luck's favorite receiver.

Um, Quan Cosby will have something to say about that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Spot on. And then Washington signed Garcon from Indy and Josh Morgan from SF so it definitely looks like they're eyeing weapons for RG3.

I guess the Royal deal fell through, and he signed with the Chargers. Guess he was asking too much?

The team just signed a mediocre safety in Meriweather...He was playing FS, but they say he's a better fit a SS. Wonder if this means the team is parting ways with Landry? Still no word on London Fletcher either...I realize he's old (my age), but he's been the heart and soul of the D for the past 5 seasons. I hope a deal can get done to bring him back. His presence alone is pretty much worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

I guess the Royal deal fell through, and he signed with the Chargers. Guess he was asking too much?

The team just signed a mediocre safety in Meriweather...He was playing FS, but they say he's a better fit a SS. Wonder if this means the team is parting ways with Landry? Still no word on London Fletcher either...I realize he's old (my age), but he's been the heart and soul of the D for the past 5 seasons. I hope a deal can get done to bring him back. His presence alone is pretty much worth it.

Yeah, I think the conventional wisdom is that Landry's done, which is a shame since he never really was able to fill Sean Taylor's shoes, but seemed like a good dude. And yeah, London Fletcher is a must re-sign, although I'm sure he's testing the waters to see what other offers are out there. I can see Perry Riley or Rob Jackson slowly coming in to replace Fletcher, but aside from his skills on the field, he's also a real leader in the locker room and no one wants to lose that.

I don't know anything about Meriweather. Is he really that mediocre? There was talk of moving D'Angelo back into the safety position to let him ball hawk a la Ed Reed since that's what he does best in comparison to his coverage abilities. They've got a QB lined up. Got a few new receivers (which raises questions about what's gonna happen with some of the veterans), but now they need to bolster their O-line and look for corners.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 pm 
statistically insignificant

Meriweather is terrible. But he's at least unintentionally funny, so there's that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 pm 
Supersonic

thodoks wrote:
Meriweather is terrible. But he's at least unintentionally funny, so there's that.

i'm just not sure i can handle seeing reminders of nah everywhere i turn on this board :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:45 pm 
Unthought Known

Skins bring in Cedric Griffin from Minnesota to bolster their secondary, but if he's playing corner, forget it. He's terrible and the Vikings benched him for poor performance. If he's gonna be the FS that might work, but if they still think he should be a cornerback, good grief.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:44 pm 
Unthought Known

What's the definition of insanity? Signing Rex Grossman for a one year deal expecting different results.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:46 pm 
Administrator

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
What's the definition of insanity? Signing Rex Grossman for a one year deal expecting different results.
I'd be stunned if RG3 wasn't on the field during the first snap of Week 1. I wouldn't sweat too much over this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:50 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
I'd be stunned if RG3 wasn't on the field during the first snap of Week 1. I wouldn't sweat too much over this.

Everyone expects that. Fans will revolt if he doesn't start, but even though Rex knows Kyle's offense, he fucking sucks and everyone knows it. Facepalm City if both Rex and John Beck are on the roster at the start of the season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports