Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Washington Redskins Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm 
Unthought Known

50 years of Redskins v. Cowboys:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 pm 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
Mecca wrote:
we actually have a Skins fan on the board!

Hell yes!

Are you a Bills fan? I see you're from Buffalo...I'll be rooting for them, b/c I follow Clemson to, and CJ is the real deal.

yes, I am a season ticket holder, actually.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:53 pm 
Unthought Known

Mecca wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mecca wrote:
we actually have a Skins fan on the board!

Hell yes!

Are you a Bills fan? I see you're from Buffalo...I'll be rooting for them, b/c I follow Clemson to, and CJ is the real deal.

yes, I am a season ticket holder, actually.

I picked up CJ in my Fantasy League. He has a very good shot, pending he doesn't get hurt, to be O Rookie of the Year.

I have a buddy who is a huge Bills fan...I was telling him with so many running options, and Gaily as the coach, y'all should kick it old school and do a bunch of Wildcat, Wing T, Power I, Pro Formation types of schemes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:22 pm 
Landry

darth_vedder wrote:
50 years of Redskins v. Cowboys:

I have a dvd box set of the history of the Cowboys, and there was a game sometime in the 70's I think when Skins fans were rattling the stadium chanting "We want the Cowboys." Didn't hurt that we usually kicked yalls asses that decade. Even with Clint Longley. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 pm 
Unthought Known

parchy wrote:

I have a dvd box set of the history of the Cowboys, and there was a game sometime in the 70's I think when Skins fans were rattling the stadium chanting "We want the Cowboys." Didn't hurt that we usually kicked yalls asses that decade. Even with Clint Longley. :mrgreen:

Yeah, the Cowboys and Pittsburgh really put out some great / legendary teams in the 70's. The Redskins for most of that time were the "Over The Hill Gang" and the "Lovable Losers". Enter Joe Gibbs and 4 Super Bowls (3 -1) from 1982-1991.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 pm 
Unthought Known

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:57 pm 
Unthought Known

Glad we got the W last night. Not a pretty one, and I'm very concerned about the D, and the O...The Cowboys marched up and down the field last night, and I'm very surprised they didn't put up more points. The O looked OK, but horrible in the Red Zone. 1 game down, 15 to go...

Oh, by the way, loved the Gold pants! It's about time they brought those back (1978 the team switched from Gold Pants only to White Pants as well as Burgundy pants)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:25 pm 
Administrator

I liked the gold pants, as well.

Washington shit all over themselves last night, which was only made OK by Dallas shitting over themselves even worse. Combine that with the performances of the Giants and Eagles, and it'd be awesome to see the Redskins win the division with an 8-8 record.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:09 pm 
AnalLog

You're not any good, we just suck ass.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm 
Unthought Known

Orpheus wrote:
You're not any good, we just suck ass.

Haha, you may be right. I called a close Redskins win, but not b/c they are better. My prediction was that Dallas will be out coached, and that kinda happened (the play right before half time - just take a knee), but really Dallas just fucked up a lot more than the Redskins did.

I have no idea how the Redskins will turn out this year...Maybe we get lucky a few more times and actually finish 11-5, more likely though, 7-9. Bottom line is that the team really has needs that will take a few years to address. For starters...switching to a 3-4 base D without the proper Linebackers on the team. We also need interior O-Line help, a future QB, WRs (Malcomb Kelly = bust and Devin Thomas is beat out by Anthony Armstrong???, thanks Cerrato,), and lastly, we need a FS. Since Sean Taylor was murdered, we haven't gotten anyone to fill the huge void. Love or hate the Skins, Sean Taylor was a ferocious beast in the secondary, and was just really blossoming into a well disciplined player when he died. He was pretty raw his first 3 years, but his final year, he was maturing into not only a ball hawking hard hitting safety, but a very smart player too. Having him and Laron Landry roam the secondary would have been fun to watch, and damn scary for other teams.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:24 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

I love the gold pants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:08 pm 
Unthought Known

Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
I love the gold pants

:thumbsup:

I hope they also try the white jersey with gold pants...something like this:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:38 am 
Unthought Known

Well this certainly seems like it'll be an interesting year for DC football. I'm happy we got off to a good start, but we have a long way to go in putting all the pieces together. I'm just worried that whatever we build with this new regime will be torn apart in a season or two once Danny Boy loses his patience.

Our schedule is fairly rough this year. How we fare against the Texans might prove to be a better indicator of how we'll hold up against some of the juggernauts later in the year, moreso than the Cowboys were with a weakened offensive line.

But this season could really end up being meaningless for us if McNabb chooses not to sign that extension everyone's wondering about. If he bails after a year, this fragile house of cards really will crumble once again.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:58 pm 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Well this certainly seems like it'll be an interesting year for DC football. I'm happy we got off to a good start, but we have a long way to go in putting all the pieces together. I'm just worried that whatever we build with this new regime will be torn apart in a season or two once Danny Boy loses his patience.

Our schedule is fairly rough this year. How we fare against the Texans might prove to be a better indicator of how we'll hold up against some of the juggernauts later in the year, moreso than the Cowboys were with a weakened offensive line.

But this season could really end up being meaningless for us if McNabb chooses not to sign that extension everyone's wondering about. If he bails after a year, this fragile house of cards really will crumble once again.

Yeah, it's hard to predict the Redskins this year...Last year, you could just see the mess dating back from the previous season (starting 6-2 in 2008 and finishing 2-6). That downward spiral of disarray just continued all on through the off-season, and pre-season. By the time the 2009 season started, I called the Redskins to finish 5-11.

This season, i can see anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5. Obviously the latter is unlikely, but maybe Lady Luck is with the Redskins this season???

I think you are absolutely right about the Texans match up this week. They have a high powered offence, and if the Redskins D and keep them off the field, and limit the big plays, they'll have a chance. I worry about the Redskins Offense though....Since the end of the first Gibbs era (1991), it seems scoring more than 17 points in a game is a super rare luxury.

Should the Redskins win on Sunday, I think this team can be pretty good / dangerous and certainly capable of a Wild Card.

One huge problem, regardless if McNabb signs the extension, is that the team is just OLD. They're all like my age...While being in you're 30's is still infancy in the business / workforce world, it's ancient in the NFL. The team just has so many needs, I'm not sure how Bruce Allen can address them all to make the Redskins contenders over the next few years. They did right by drafting Williams in the 1st round, but there is much more....

For starters, we need Linebackers for the 3-4 scheme. I'm pretty sure Albert will be gone after this season, so we're gonna need a big boy NT as well, and we still have yet to find a solid Free Safety to replace Sean Taylor. As for the Offense...they need interior line help, so at least one OG, and one Center. Not to mention, Santana Moss and Portis are getting up there...we desperately need a #2 receiver, and youth at RB.

I hate to admit it, but the Redskins are a long way off still.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:41 pm 
Unthought Known

They would be smart to just trade Albert for a reasonable offer. He's just not good to have around at this point.

They need more draft picks to get younger certainly, but good solid linebackers are plentiful accross the league. They can find guys that can play. You can't replace Sean Taylor... and it's going to take a few years to get younger but if they just don't abandon draft picks like they have they can get younger and better. The owners passion to pay old guys vast sums of money in the offseason is really the issue moreso than age. I think that defense is pretty good. The offense is going to be much improved.

What's wrong with Devin Thomas? Why isn't he blossoming yet? Routes? Blocking?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:13 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
They would be smart to just trade Albert for a reasonable offer. He's just not good to have around at this point.

They need more draft picks to get younger certainly, but good solid linebackers are plentiful accross the league. They can find guys that can play. You can't replace Sean Taylor... and it's going to take a few years to get younger but if they just don't abandon draft picks like they have they can get younger and better. The owners passion to pay old guys vast sums of money in the offseason is really the issue moreso than age. I think that defense is pretty good. The offense is going to be much improved.

What's wrong with Devin Thomas? Why isn't he blossoming yet? Routes? Blocking?

No shit, I think he's the dumbest guy on the team. I mean, the guy has loads of talent, and he gets beat out by Anthony Armstrong???? I just think DT is dumb as rocks, hence the coaches don't trust him.

re: Sean...Yeah man, he was one of a kind...had the instincts, talent, and will to be the best safety and one of the best players in the league. When I said replace, I just meant that the team needs a capable FS...I think Doughty, and Horton are serviceable backups, but we need a lock down, ball hawking FS to couple with Laron Landry.

I know it's way off, but I'm already excited for the off season...I really am curious to see what needs the Redskins address...I'm hoping through the draft we get a WR, OG, RB, and OLB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 pm 
Unthought Known

You're definitely right about the age issue Darth. Snyder wants to win NOW, which is a huuuge problem. It takes time to build up a team through free agency and the draft. Throwing money at players past their prime just because they were big names on previous teams isn't the answer. You'd think he's wised up and chosen to stay out of Allen and Shanahan's way, but I'm sure he still meddles.

We've made some terrible draft picks. Our biggest issue is a lack of tall receivers and too many aging running backs. Donovan's made bad receivers look OK before, so hopefully that could happen again, but given that Shanny said it'd take 3 years to master this new offense, it doesn't bode well when McNabb can bail for Minnesota or Arizona where he lives next year. Let's face it, we'll always be trying to replicate the Posse of Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Ricky Sanders.

As for Portis, he's running on fumes. He's an amazing blocker, but he runs so low to the ground he always falls down, and he doesn't seem to have much speed or burst left. We need speed and youth in our weapons, and time for a modicum of maturity to set in to where the rookie wide eyed gaze has disappeared.

I agree about Sean Taylor, but really, that guy is irreplaceable. He was an absolute battering ram, flying up the field and crushing opposing players. Finding talent like that again won't happen any time soon. Using Haslett's defensive schemes and plethora of blitz packages might help someone like Landry excel. The last few seasons he's played below his capabilities. That Brandon Jacobs mack truck play springs to mind, but Sean Taylor talent only comes around once in a blue moon.

And can we please please please do something about Carlos Rogers? Holy hell, that dude has hands of stone. He had a Pro Bowl caliber defensive season a couple years ago, but we need better a few better corners out there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:53 pm 
Unthought Known

Carlos definitely can't catch! He's not a bad corner though as far as coverage and tackling, but yeah, does he even have an interception?

I hope Bruce Allen and M. Shanahan steer Snyder in the right direction. We'll see how this season and the next few seasons go, but it looks like Dan has toned it down.

If McNabb stays, and remains healthy, and we can get a solid WR, and OLB via Free Agency, then I think the Redskins can compete. A fresh RB from the draft, as well as an OG or two, an ILB will go a long way. I just hope we won't give up too many picks.

Sigh, I get bummed out thinking about Sean...honestly, I hadn't been that affected about by a celebrity death since Kurt Cobain. First off for his poor daughter and family, but what a fucking waste of talent! And for what? Sean was not only incredibly gifted, but he seemed like such a genuine person. In an age of me, me, me, Ocho Cinco, T.O., etc...Sean was a true team player. Even in practice, teammates said he was just as intense. I think it says a lot when a guy like London Fletcher says the first person he bonded with, and couldn't wait to work with was Sean Taylor. Imagine him and Landry together...It would be by far the best Safety tandem in the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:22 pm 
Unthought Known

That stung. Damn. At least Dallas lost.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:54 am 
Unthought Known

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
That stung. Damn. At least Dallas lost.

This weekend fucking sucked! Both my teams lose in OT??? Fuck! Shit! Goddamit! Motherfucker! Cocksucking Balls!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports