Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: 2011 College Football Off-Season Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 pm 
Unthought Known

Any news from your favorite team(s)?

How did your team do on this national signing day (2/2/2011)?

Did any big name players on your team declare for the NFL draft?

Any coaching changes?

Any players transfer?

How do you think your team will do in 2011?

What are your favorite early season, non-conference match-ups?

Who will be the best in your teams's conference?

Discuss, and feel free to add anything about College Football's 2011 off-season here (news, opinions, etc...).

Post subject: Re: 2011 College Football Off-Season Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:10 pm 
Stone's Bitch

What are bowl games?

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 pm 
Poney Girl

pearljamfan80 wrote:
What are bowl games?

USC joins FCS?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:37 pm 
statistically insignificant

Sign that letter already, Cyrus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 am 
Unthought Known

Per Rivals, looks like Clemson got the #8 recruiting class, with the #1 LB and #1 WR class. Not bad, and kinda shocking considering that the Tigers finished 6-7 last season. For years, it seems like Clemson does pretty good in recruiting, maybe not top 10, but typically top 25, yet the talent doesn't always translate on the field. I'm not sure if the recruits are overrated or Clemson just doesn't have great position coaches....At this point, I'm leaning towards the latter. However, there were some coaching changes recently, so hopefully the coaches figure out what to do with all of this incoming talent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:48 am 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:
Per Rivals, looks like Clemson got the #8 recruiting class, with the #1 LB and #1 WR class. Not bad, and kinda shocking considering that the Tigers finished 6-7 last season. For years, it seems like Clemson does pretty good in recruiting, maybe not top 10, but typically top 25, yet the talent doesn't always translate on the field. I'm not sure if the recruits are overrated or Clemson just doesn't have great position coaches....At this point, I'm leaning towards the latter. However, there were some coaching changes recently, so hopefully the coaches figure out what to do with all of this incoming talent.

That freaking linebacker that Dabo got from Florida looks like he works out with NFL players already.

Human muscles are not supposed to be cut like that at 18. He's going to be a monster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:51 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

That freaking linebacker that Dabo got from Florida looks like he works out with NFL players already.

Human muscles are not supposed to be cut like that at 18. He's going to be a monster.

Yep. Tony Steward has potential to be a beast for Clemson, and if he lives up to a fraction of the hype, will most certainly be playing on Sundays. Its hard to rely on Freshmen, so I"m not really expecting anything this season, but hopefully by 2012, Clemson will take off and finally win an ACC Championship Game. Even as bad ass as Da'quan Bowers is, it took him until this past season (his Junior year) to finally live up to the hype.

Here's a pic of Steward...and just think, he probably still has some growing to do, and will most likely get even more muscular!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:29 pm 
Administrator

From what I read, apparently it was a a real coup by Dabo to yank Steward away from FSU.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
From what I read, apparently it was a a real coup by Dabo to yank Steward away from FSU.

Could be...Coach Steele (the D-Coordinator) said as soon as he came to Clemson from Alabama that one of the 1st calls he made was to Steward to start recruiting him is Sophomore year, so a relationship has been established for a few years. FSU also got some top notch LBs, so that could have played into his decision as well.

The lone #1 recruit, Clowney, will decide on the 14th, and he's narrowed it down to Alabama, Clemson and S. Carolina.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:02 pm 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=6084711

Quote:
Recruit confirms mom forged signature

OXFORD, Miss. -- Floyd Raven says his mom was just trying to help when she forged his signature on a letter of intent to Mississippi on Wednesday morning.

Instead, she only caused confusion. He had decided to go to Texas A&M

"Long story short, my mom thought she was helping me out," Raven said in an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday evening. "I wasn't home and she sent it in. I never told her I had changed my mind to Texas A&M. I forgive her for it. It was an honest mistake."

Once Mississippi coach Houston Nutt learned that the letter of intent was forged he declined to get into specifics about the incident. All he would say was Raven's "mom really wanted him [at Ole Miss]. Mom wanted him here in the worst way."

Raven, a highly regarded defensive back who played high school football at East St. John in Reserve, La., said the Ole Miss coaches were "very understanding" during the dilemma.

Texas A&M confirmed on Wednesday evening that Raven signed a letter of intent with the Aggies.

"I just liked the direction their program was going," Raven said. "I got close with a few of their players and it just felt like the right place for me."

Mississippi athletic spokesman Kyle Campbell said the school had trouble reading the initial letter of intent sent by fax machine, so the school requested another. Raven declined.

Nutt said he considered the incident finished and wanted to focus on his incoming class. Ole Miss announced 22 signees on Wednesday.

"I want them to want to be here," Nutt said of recruits. "The one thing I know about the other guys' signatures that [our coaches] received is that they want to be here. We'll leave it at that. Good luck to him."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:07 pm 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Could be...Coach Steele (the D-Coordinator) said as soon as he came to Clemson from Alabama that one of the 1st calls he made was to Steward to start recruiting him is Sophomore year, so a relationship has been established for a few years. FSU also got some top notch LBs, so that could have played into his decision as well.

The lone #1 recruit, Clowney, will decide on the 14th, and he's narrowed it down to Alabama, Clemson and S. Carolina.

Pagan already went to Bama as well as Xzavier Dixon. I think Clowney will stay in state as Lattimore did. There will be something of a revolt if there is ANOTHER AJ Green situation.

As far as where he goes in state. I don't have any idea, but that guy, I'm pretty confident, is going to be ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6084711

Quote:
Recruit confirms mom forged signature

OXFORD, Miss. -- Floyd Raven says his mom was just trying to help when she forged his signature on a letter of intent to Mississippi on Wednesday morning.

Instead, she only caused confusion. He had decided to go to Texas A&M

"Long story short, my mom thought she was helping me out," Raven said in an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday evening. "I wasn't home and she sent it in. I never told her I had changed my mind to Texas A&M. I forgive her for it. It was an honest mistake."

Once Mississippi coach Houston Nutt learned that the letter of intent was forged he declined to get into specifics about the incident. All he would say was Raven's "mom really wanted him [at Ole Miss]. Mom wanted him here in the worst way."

Raven, a highly regarded defensive back who played high school football at East St. John in Reserve, La., said the Ole Miss coaches were "very understanding" during the dilemma.

Texas A&M confirmed on Wednesday evening that Raven signed a letter of intent with the Aggies.

"I just liked the direction their program was going," Raven said. "I got close with a few of their players and it just felt like the right place for me."

Mississippi athletic spokesman Kyle Campbell said the school had trouble reading the initial letter of intent sent by fax machine, so the school requested another. Raven declined.

Nutt said he considered the incident finished and wanted to focus on his incoming class. Ole Miss announced 22 signees on Wednesday.

"I want them to want to be here," Nutt said of recruits. "The one thing I know about the other guys' signatures that [our coaches] received is that they want to be here. We'll leave it at that. Good luck to him."

Wow. That's kinda funny, but sad for Mississippi.

Last edited by darth_vedder on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Pagan already went to Bama as well as Xzavier Dixon. I think Clowney will stay in state as Lattimore did. There will be something of a revolt if there is ANOTHER AJ Green situation.

As far as where he goes in state. I don't have any idea, but that guy, I'm pretty confident, is going to be ridiculous.

Clowney was interviewed on ESPNU, and below are some things from the interview. Sounds like he's strongly considering Clemson...

Clowney tells ESPNU Reporter on an interview at 4PM EST:

--South Carolina, Alabama, and Clemson are all still in it. UNC is out.

--Clemson back in the mix, a lot, they're one of the top schools"

--Says he doesn't know what he's gonna do. Will sit down with his parents a few days before and talk with them and make a decision on Valentine's Day.

--Clowney says one of the reasons he pushed off his decision because of his recent trip to Clemson.

--On Clemson's big day on signing day: "Makes me want to go there too. [Clemson] Got people on their team trying to win just like me. Top Athletes."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:34 pm 
Unthought Known

Former Vandy Head Coach Robbie Caldwell is now Clemson's O-Line coach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:15 pm 
Got Some

I for sure thought Raven was headed to Ole Miss. A&M usually doesn't catch breaks like this. Hope he's not a head case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:35 pm 
Unthought Known

Of all the recruits Clemson signed yesterday, I'm really excited about this guy...A 6'6" 330 lb. OT/OG from Alabama (Clemson never gets Bama boys).

He will really help moving defenders out of the way for this guy:

Mike Bellamy RB 5-10 187 4.31 Punta Gorda, FL (Charlotte HS)
A five-star player from Florida, who was named the National High School Football Player of the Year by Sporting News.

They say Bellamy is just as fast, if not faster than CJ Spiller :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Very interesting stats on the difference between recruiting class rankings and winning percentages...

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1179868

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Very interesting stats on the difference between recruiting class rankings and winning percentages...

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1179868

As a Clemson fan, I can confirm that this article is very much spot on.

Very interesting, and it makes sense. Look at the under achieving teams, they've all been in a relative slump for a few years despite solid recruiting (UGA, UT, Miami, FSU, ND, etc...). Of course other things go into it, like injury, coaching changes, etc...But it's kinda similar with the NFL draft...How many 1st rounders have been a bust? How many Heisman trophy winners never translated to the NFL?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:41 pm 

Good luck with Spencer Region. You'll need it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
Good luck with Spencer Region. You'll need it.

What's his deal? I've read mostly positive things about him, but they've been through orange colored glasses...Is he overrated? Attitude problem? Injury prone?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports