Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: The Toronto Maple Leafs Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm 
Supersonic

warehouse wrote:
plus we're gonna get weber

Here's a question: Pronger is signed to a 35+ contract, which means if he retires his contract still counts against the cap. But if he's on LTIR, it doesn't count against the cap. If Pronger decided he couldn't play any more because of his concussions, couldn't he just not retire and they could leave him on LTIR for the next five years? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:14 pm 
AnalLog

PhilPritchard wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Here's a question: Pronger is signed to a 35+ contract, which means if he retires his contract still counts against the cap. But if he's on LTIR, it doesn't count against the cap. If Pronger decided he couldn't play any more because of his concussions, couldn't he just not retire and they could leave him on LTIR for the next five years? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

yep, mike rathje did the same thing a few years ago. he'll stay on LTIR for the rest of his career w/ the flyers and collect his pay that doesnt count against the cap. its awesome for everyone involved.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:31 pm 
Supersonic

warehouse wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
warehouse wrote:

yep, mike rathje did the same thing a few years ago. he'll stay on LTIR for the rest of his career w/ the flyers and collect his pay that doesnt count against the cap. its awesome for everyone involved.

I thought they didn't have the 35+ rule until the last year or so?

Either way, the league should probably do something about that since it completely negates the rule, but it would be smart for any team to do it as long as they have the option.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:34 pm 
AnalLog

PhilPritchard wrote:
warehouse wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
warehouse wrote:

I thought they didn't have the 35+ rule until the last year or so?

Either way, the league should probably do something about that since it completely negates the rule, but it would be smart for any team to do it as long as they have the option.

i'm not even 100% sure what the rule is. pronger was 34 when he signed the deal, but i dont think it went into effect until he was 35.

its hard for the league to do something about it. every summer pronger will work out w/ the flyers in an attempt to come back, but then ultimately fail and be put on LTIR. they cant tell the guy to give up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:21 pm 
Unthought Known

"Leafs coach Randy Carlyle has players do push-ups if they miss the net during drill in the morning skate" from some tsn twitter. That's what I like to see. Phaneuf is going to lose 40 pounds.

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:27 pm 
statistically insignificant

I'm legitimately excited by the prospect that one-third or more of this team will be gone next year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 pm 
Unthought Known

Lines vs. BUF: Frattin-Bozak-Kessel. MacArthur-Grabovski-Crabb. Ashton-Connolly-Brown. Rosehill-Lombardi-Armstrong.

Man, looking at this lineup makes me sad. Brutal.

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 am 
Unthought Known

I'd be inclined to trade Phaneuf (with the emergence of Gardiner and possibility of Blacker). They got him for nothing basically. When Phaneuf isn't chipping in offensively he's basically Komisarik. Dumping it off the board, bad passes and big hits. Bring in a veteran, solid D to put with Gardiner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:19 am 
Supersonic

EastHastings wrote:
I'd be inclined to trade Phaneuf (with the emergence of Gardiner and possibility of Blacker). They got him for nothing basically. When Phaneuf isn't chipping in offensively he's basically Komisarik. Dumping it off the board, bad passes and big hits. Bring in a veteran, solid D to put with Gardiner.

I see no reason to think he can't still improve. His play can certainly be frustrating, but he's still a long way ahead of where he was his last year in Calgary. He isn't earning his whole paycheque right now, but I think he's a valuable asset, and his cap hit will probably diminish his value in a trade. I think right now the best thing to do is stick with him. Maybe once Carlyle's system has more than a few weeks to settle in he'll play a more consistent defensive game... who knows? I think it's too early to put the weight of replacing Phaneuf on Gardiner's shoulders.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:11 am 
Unthought Known

U mad?

Man, they are giving it to the leafs kids lol. Does this happen for Edmonton, Columbus, etc? Seems like the leafs raped the dudes wife or something. The media in Toronto must kill a few peoples self esteem every year. Very awkward interviews and questions that were posed mostly as accusations. You wonder why the team spirals downwards when shit hits the fan. The piling on is unbelievable from the media.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm 
Supersonic

EastHastings wrote:

U mad?

Man, they are giving it to the leafs kids lol. Does this happen for Edmonton, Columbus, etc? Seems like the leafs raped the dudes wife or something. The media in Toronto must kill a few peoples self esteem every year. Very awkward interviews and questions that were posed mostly as accusations. You wonder why the team spirals downwards when shit hits the fan. The piling on is unbelievable from the media.

I have no problem with reporters asking hard questions, but that guy comes off as nothing more than an angry fan demanding answers. The problem is he's asking questions that really can't be answered. What the hell is Carlyle supposed to say to "Did you know it would be this bad?" I actually really like how Carlyle answered it. "Five wins in 24 games? I've only been here 20 days..." The reporter came prepared with a few talking points and didn't care whether they made sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:31 pm 
statistically insignificant

Pretty good last 24 hours, bros.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:57 pm 
Supersonic

thodoks wrote:

Schenn for Van Reimsdyk has me torn up inside. It makes so much sense, but I really like Luke Schenn and hate to see him on the Flyers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:23 am 
Unthought Known

PhilPritchard wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Schenn for Van Reimsdyk has me torn up inside. It makes so much sense, but I really like Luke Schenn and hate to see him on the Flyers.

Had to be done now, after the drafting D strategy. No point in having that many D. A guy like Schenn can be replaced (hits/blocks). His skating wasn't getting much better and he still was awful at getting the puck out of the zone. He wasn't growing at all as a Leaf so it was time to cut ties.

Now, he will likely play well for the flyers I imagine. Pairing him with a decent vet like timo perhaps would settle him down. JVR is a rare player with tons of potential. I loved the move. They still need a big C but that will take time. Saw an article saying it was clearing out one of Kulemin/McArthur to Vancouver in a Luongo deal (if Canucks ever man up and do something).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:56 pm 
Unthought Known

EastHastings wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
thodoks wrote:

clearing out one of Kulemin/McArthur to Vancouver in a Luongo deal (if Canucks ever man up and do something).

I hope they don't man up and do something that stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Supersonic

Echoes wrote:
EastHastings wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
thodoks wrote:

clearing out one of Kulemin/McArthur to Vancouver in a Luongo deal (if Canucks ever man up and do something).

I would be very disappointed if Kulemin went the other way in a Luongo deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:06 am 
Landry

MUSTACHE MEN. RAPE.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:29 pm 
Unthought Known

PhilPritchard wrote:
Echoes wrote:
EastHastings wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
thodoks wrote:

I would be very disappointed if Kulemin went the other way in a Luongo deal.

he is your current leader in games played as a leaf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports