Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Toronto Maple Leafs Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:57 am 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
wasn't that last week? i figured since its all but officially over, y'all could take it.

I kinda feel like I can take anything at this point. Being a Leafs fan has prepared me to face any adversity life can throw at me.
that's the spirit!

It has also lead me to a life where I constantly expect to be disappointed and whenever anything positive happens I just assume it will be followed by some kind of overwhelming negative. It's a pretty miserable existence.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:07 am 
statistically insignificant

I'm quite sure Reimer will revert to last year's form and lead the Leafs to a "strong" finish and the 8th overall selection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 am 
a joke

I read somewhere that Nick Lidstrom has played 91 playoff games since the last time a Maple Leaf did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 am 
AnalLog

PhilPritchard wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
wasn't that last week? i figured since its all but officially over, y'all could take it.

I kinda feel like I can take anything at this point. Being a Leafs fan has prepared me to face any adversity life can throw at me.
that's the spirit!

It has also lead me to a life where I constantly expect to be disappointed and whenever anything positive happens I just assume it will be followed by some kind of overwhelming negative. It's a pretty miserable existence.
not to derail this thread or get all cliché, but that's being a red sox fan up until 2004 and a bruins fan up until last season. And, both times, the championship game after a horrible playoff loss that made you question even paying attention the next season. So, if that's the formula, you've got a ways to go (hurt wise) before you can truly find joy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 pm 
Supersonic

EllisEamos wrote:
not to derail this thread or get all cliché, but that's being a red sox fan up until 2004 and a bruins fan up until last season. And, both times, the championship game after a horrible playoff loss that made you question even paying attention the next season. So, if that's the formula, you've got a ways to go (hurt wise) before you can truly find joy.

That's a fair comparison. I guess it depends what you think is worse: coming close a couple times and not quite winning, or never coming close.

I'll agree that the Leafs don't compare to what Red Sox fans went through... but what's the difference to me whether the Leafs won in 1967 or 1918? I wasn't around to see either one, so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'm still confident this will be a solid team next year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 am 
statistically insignificant

PhilPritchard wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:38 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

thodoks wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:

Why?

I think it's fair to say that the players have spoken, they hate the new system and have given up for this year at least.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 pm 
Supersonic

tyler wrote:
thodoks wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:

Why?

I think it's fair to say that the players have spoken, they hate the new system and have given up for this year at least.

I don't know what's going on so far, but I don't think that's the case. Well... I agree that a lot of them seem to just be playing out the stretch right now to get it over with, but I think it's more a matter of them struggling to adapt to the new system than them hating it. They just look lost on their defensive coverage, like the just have no idea where to be.

And I'm confident they will be a solid team because I don't think they're as bad as their recent play suggests. They played extremely well for October-November, decent for December-January, and abysmal for February-March, and most people seem to think the last two months are a better indication of where this team stands. I just disagree. I'm confident they'll make the right moves in the offseason to move out players who aren't contributing and replace them with players who can have a significant impact on games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm 
AnalLog

great game last night. wtf happened to gustavson?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:09 pm 
Supersonic

warehouse wrote:
great game last night. wtf happened to gustavson?

I missed the start of the game so I'm not really sure, but they said something about him getting hurt in warmups. Also, he's not very good.

I know the Marlies are in a playoff push so the Leafs probably don't want to upset things too much, but it seems like they're admitting that they don't mind losing out the season by calling up Rynnas. He's been their third best minor league goalie this year, while Scrivens and Owuya have both been really impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:10 pm 
Unthought Known

PhilPritchard wrote:
tyler wrote:
thodoks wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:

Why?

I don't know what's going on so far, but I don't think that's the case. Well... I agree that a lot of them seem to just be playing out the stretch right now to get it over with, but I think it's more a matter of them struggling to adapt to the new system than them hating it. They just look lost on their defensive coverage, like the just have no idea where to be.

And I'm confident they will be a solid team because I don't think they're as bad as their recent play suggests. They played extremely well for October-November, decent for December-January, and abysmal for February-March, and most people seem to think the last two months are a better indication of where this team stands. I just disagree. I'm confident they'll make the right moves in the offseason to move out players who aren't contributing and replace them with players who can have a significant impact on games.

Gust was hurt in warmups too. They gave up long ago on the season.

This might turn out like the Caps. Obviously not nearly as talented, but round peg, square hole? Unless they dump a bunch of guys I'm not so sure a defense first mindset is going to run properly.

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:16 pm 
Supersonic

EastHastings wrote:
This might turn out like the Caps. Obviously not nearly as talented, but round peg, square hole? Unless they dump a bunch of guys I'm not so sure a defense first mindset is going to run properly.

At the start of the season, and for the first few months, Kessel seemed to have a defense first mindset and it translated into a lot of offense. Since he's started slacking again, he's struggling to score. I think it will work for them, but I think a lot of people were expecting too much to change when a new coach was brought in because the team was in an absolute freefall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

PhilPritchard wrote:
EastHastings wrote:

At the start of the season, and for the first few months, Kessel seemed to have a defense first mindset and it translated into a lot of offense. Since he's started slacking again, he's struggling to score. I think it will work for them, but I think a lot of people were expecting too much to change when a new coach was brought in because the team was in an absolute freefall.

Obviously the Leafs aren't as bad as they are currently playing. But I've never seen a team just give up on a new coach like this. They should all be playing for their jobs next year. They seem way too comfortable with their jobs and what's happening.

My biggest worry about the coach, his system and the team is the complete lack of offence they're generating. The defensive zone lapses I can understand. Being in the teens in shots so often I don't. That just shows the team hates the system and just isn't trying hard t make it fit. I think the Washington comparison is a good one.

The Let's Go Blue Jays chants were great though. How does a Leaf player not just get so mad that they don't just scrap on their next shift. Eleven straight losses at home, that's unbelievable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:38 pm 
AnalLog

it looked like the system they were playing last night was called "cherry picking"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:38 pm 
Supersonic

tyler wrote:
My biggest worry about the coach, his system and the team is the complete lack of offence they're generating. The defensive zone lapses I can understand. Being in the teens in shots so often I don't. That just shows the team hates the system and just isn't trying hard t make it fit. I think the Washington comparison is a good one.

I think it shows that they're struggling to adapt to the system more than hating it. Otherwise I pretty much agree with you here.

tyler wrote:
The Let's Go Blue Jays chants were great though. How does a Leaf player not just get so mad that they don't just scrap on their next shift. Eleven straight losses at home, that's unbelievable.

I couldn't help laughing at that. It's pretty much how I feel every spring. :lol: Of course, given the Jays success the last 18 years, I feel the opposite way every fall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:53 pm 
Unthought Known

tyler wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
EastHastings wrote:

Obviously the Leafs aren't as bad as they are currently playing. But I've never seen a team just give up on a new coach like this. They should all be playing for their jobs next year. They seem way too comfortable with their jobs and what's happening.

The leafs fighter, Rosehill, is a moron. Takes stupid penalties, looks god awful slow, and doesn't contribute anything (in my view). Now they're forced to bring up rookie goalies because of injuries and they are getting ruined in net. Won't help their confidence at all. Ashton looks like a good piece though. Works hard, hits.

The ducks had the pure talent on the one line and experienced, reliable defense to filter the message down about positioning and everything else. Leafs top D is probably Phaneuf who I don't think is all that smart. They were hammering him this morning about not fighting Hartnell, and instead going after Schenn (rookie) during the last part of the game while Hartnell and Giroux sat. Heard some good points about the Captain not doing that, setting a real example, etc. For all the shit I've given Komisarik he steps in and gets beat to death by Lucic to try and send a message. Obviously better message would be to win the fight but Lucic is a man child.

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:03 pm 
Supersonic

EastHastings wrote:
The leafs fighter, Rosehill, is a moron. Takes stupid penalties, looks god awful slow, and doesn't contribute anything (in my view). Now they're forced to bring up rookie goalies because of injuries and they are getting ruined in net. Won't help their confidence at all. Ashton looks like a good piece though. Works hard, hits.

The ducks had the pure talent on the one line and experienced, reliable defense to filter the message down about positioning and everything else. Leafs top D is probably Phaneuf who I don't think is all that smart. They were hammering him this morning about not fighting Hartnell, and instead going after Schenn (rookie) during the last part of the game while Hartnell and Giroux sat. Heard some good points about the Captain not doing that, setting a real example, etc. For all the shit I've given Komisarik he steps in and gets beat to death by Lucic to try and send a message. Obviously better message would be to win the fight but Lucic is a man child.

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, a player like Lucic is just what the Leafs need. They don't have a ton of overall team toughness, so they end up giving a spot to someone like Rosehill, who contributes nothing to the team if he's not fighting. Brown is a great piece to have since he's actually a solid contributor, but having a top-six type player who brings toughness to his game would go a long way towards improving this team.

While I semi-agree with the Phaneuf/Hartnell/Schenn stuff, Phaneuf is going to get bashed in the media no matter what he does. When he fights people complain that he took himself out of a game when he shouldn't have. When he doesn't fight, people complain that he needs to stand up for his teammates and show more leadership and blah blah blah. The Toronto media is just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:15 pm 
AnalLog

he turned down simmonds, too. which is probably a good thing b/c simmonds would tune phaneuf up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm 
Unthought Known

If Voracek ever gets some consistency he will be a stud. Dudes got legit hands. Simmonds is playing like a mini hartnell. 20+ G and 100+ PIM is a nice statline for a younger guy. Their D needs some re-working but they have nice depth. Pronger may not ever come back unfortunately. Grossman was a big pickup though. Timonen getting old as well. Coburn, Meszaros, Grossman is a decent defensive base.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:56 pm 
AnalLog

plus we're gonna get weber

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports