Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Toronto Maple Leafs Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

What moves do you guys feel Burle can make that legitimately make this team a playoff team next year?

Looking at the UFA market for goalies we are better off with Reimer/Monster/Scrivens/Owuya so any improvement will have to come via trade. Same applies to forward and defense with Suter/Parise/Semin being the only quality pieces available.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:47 am 
Reissued

Semin's a quality piece?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mickey wrote:
Semin's a quality piece?

When compared to the rest of this years crop? yes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:06 am 
Reissued

teflonsteve wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Semin's a quality piece?

When compared to the rest of this years crop? yes

Honestly, I'd just as well rather not have him on my team. Talent, undoubtable. Desire to win, severely lacking at best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:10 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

teflonsteve wrote:
What moves do you guys feel Burke can make that legitimately make this team a playoff team next year?

I'd go after Schneider as an RFA. I'd offer him the $ where the compensation is a single first rounder only. Or go after Bernier, include either Monster or Reimer in the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 am 
statistically insignificant

Please no Semin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm 
Supersonic

teflonsteve wrote:
What moves do you guys feel Burle can make that legitimately make this team a playoff team next year?

Looking at the UFA market for goalies we are better off with Reimer/Monster/Scrivens/Owuya so any improvement will have to come via trade. Same applies to forward and defense with Suter/Parise/Semin being the only quality pieces available.

Obviously I would love to see Burke try to land either Suter or Parise. Other than that, I would rather they just stick with what they've got. Using the reasoning that "he's the best available" is what results in players like Komisarek and Connolly getting severely overpaid. Signing Suter would also free up room to trade someone like Schenn, so it's not just a matter of adding one player.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:33 pm 
Unthought Known

I would still love Stastny however long of a shot it is. Also, Clutterbuck would be nice :D Massive hits and he does have scoring touch. Probably some sort of goalie too. Seeing how pissed off Gustafsson gets after goals against makes me think he will never settle in and be consistent. Schneider would be amazing but he is going to cost way too much i'd imagine.

I'd also take a run at Radulov. Sounds like he wants to play in NHL next year. Would get unlimited minutes in TO lol. PLus if he Connolly's it he'd just go to Russia and problem solved.

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 pm 
a joke

thodoks wrote:
Please no Semin.

beef post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm 
Supersonic

EastHastings wrote:
I would still love Stastny however long of a shot it is. Also, Clutterbuck would be nice :D Massive hits and he does have scoring touch. Probably some sort of goalie too. Seeing how pissed off Gustafsson gets after goals against makes me think he will never settle in and be consistent. Schneider would be amazing but he is going to cost way too much i'd imagine.

I'd also take a run at Radulov. Sounds like he wants to play in NHL next year. Would get unlimited minutes in TO lol. PLus if he Connolly's it he'd just go to Russia and problem solved.

I don't think an RFA is the answer because giving up a first round pick simply shouldn't be an option right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm 
Unthought Known

Chris Stewart is another possibility I'd like.

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 pm 
Unthought Known

Or Plekanec actually. May not be a tough enough top C but he has the playmaking skills to go well with Kessel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

They need to address the goaltending problem before anything else. Even if that means giving up first rounder to get a goalie of Schneider's or Bernier's ability. Going into next season with Gustafsson and Reimer as the goeltending tandem is suicide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:59 pm 
Supersonic

tyler wrote:
They need to address the goaltending problem before anything else. Even if that means giving up first rounder to get a goalie of Schneider's or Bernier's ability. Going into next season with Gustafsson and Reimer as the goeltending tandem is suicide.

I agree in theory, but giving up a top-ten pick (and who knows how high it could go at this point) for Schneider or Bernier is not the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

PhilPritchard wrote:
tyler wrote:

I agree in theory, but giving up a top-ten pick (and who knows how high it could go at this point) for Schneider or Bernier is not the way to go.
You're just going to get scrap heap goalies for anything less. I don't see anything wrong trading a first rounder (who may or may not work out) for a young player who has a much higher percentage of working out and fills your most glaring deficiency.

It's not like trading a first for an older goalie like Thomas. Trading/Signing RFA for Schneider or Bernier would be done with the idea of inking them to a 5 year contract. It's a basis for moving forward as an organization for years to come.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm 
Unthought Known

tyler wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
tyler wrote:

You're just going to get scrap heap goalies for anything less. I don't see anything wrong trading a first rounder (who may or may not work out) for a young player who has a much higher percentage of working out and fills your most glaring deficiency.

It's not like trading a first for an older goalie like Thomas. Trading/Signing RFA for Schneider or Bernier would be done with the idea of inking them to a 5 year contract. It's a basis for moving forward as an organization for years to come.

I'd do a solid prospect + lower 1st for Schneider. Not a possible top 5 pick for Schneider. That would ruin the leafs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

EastHastings wrote:
tyler wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
tyler wrote:

I'd do a solid prospect + lower 1st for Schneider. Not a possible top 5 pick for Schneider. That would ruin the leafs.
How is having a legitimate number one goalie going to ruin them? We can definitively say that not having a number one goalie has ruined them.

At this point they could justify trading Kessel straight up for Schneider. You can always UFA a goal scorer. You can't do the same for a goalie.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:40 pm 
Supersonic

tyler wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
tyler wrote:

Keep in mind we're talking about a team whose most recent goalie transactions were:

San Jose trades Vesa Toskala, Mark Bell to Toronto for conditional first round pick (2007 #13-Lars Eller), 2007 second round pick (#44-Aaron Palushaj), 2009 fourth round pick (#98-Craig Smith).

and

Boston trades Andrew Raycroft to Toronto for Tuukka Rask.

I know those trades were made under a completely incompetent regime, but forgive me for being a bit skeptical about trading picks/prospects for young goalies. Aside from Reimer/Gustavsson, the Leafs have 3-4 goalie prospects who have had great seasons (Scrivens's numbers are some of the best in the AHL). If the cost of acquiring someone like Schneider or Bernier is more than a late first/mid-level prospect, the best thing to do would be to pick up a cheap, veteran placeholder to help Reimer while he and the other young guys continue to develop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:47 pm 
Supersonic

tyler wrote:
At this point they could justify trading Kessel straight up for Schneider. You can always UFA a goal scorer. You can't do the same for a goalie.

The worst part about this is that I get the impression you're serious. I'm just not sure whether you're overrating Schneider, underrating Kessel or a combination of both.

Of course you can always pick up a goal scorer as a UFA. Kessel isn't just "a goal scorer". At 24 years old, he's 3rd in the NHL in goals and 4th in points. That's not something you just pick up as a UFA, and it's certainly not something you trade for a goalie with 63 career games under his belt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:59 pm 
Unthought Known

PhilPritchard wrote:
tyler wrote:

The worst part about this is that I get the impression you're serious. I'm just not sure whether you're overrating Schneider, underrating Kessel or a combination of both.

Of course you can always pick up a goal scorer as a UFA. Kessel isn't just "a goal scorer". At 24 years old, he's 3rd in the NHL in goals and 4th in points. That's not something you just pick up as a UFA, and it's certainly not something you trade for a goalie with 63 career games under his belt.

I'm betting Tampa gets Schneider anyways. Teams goal tending is god awful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports