Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: ÜSMNT: Era of Klinsmann
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:22 pm 
Poney Girl

Last edited by Wes C. Addle on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:32 am, edited 17 times in total.

Post subject: Re: CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 pm 
Stone's Bitch

LOL @ hoping the Euros will join this thread too.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:50 pm 
Poney Girl

They wont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:56 pm 
Stone's Bitch

You should really change this thread into the OFFICIAL USMNT thread, because that's basically what this will be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:59 pm 
Poney Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 pm 
Got Some

If this is like any of the other USMNT internet discussions I have been apart of it will devolve into Michael Bradley bashing and claims of nepotism from his father regarding him always starting in the midfield. The only good thing that came out of the 4-0 ass whipping Spain put on us yesterday was Bradley coming on and really looking like one of the only US players that belonged on the field with Spain in the 2nd half.

As far as the Gold Cup it really bothers me Timmy Chandler is not in the fold for the USA as he has looked very dynamic when he has put on a USA shirt. His club in Germany didn't want him to play in the tournament but you have to wonder if he is questioning his allegiance to the US team since the Gold Cup would have cap tied him to the team. Its also too bad Stuart Holden can't be only the field as it leaves us with a midfield with some combo of Maurice Edu/Jermaine Jones/ Michael Bradley who all essentially do the same things. Since Fielhaber is hurt it would be very interesting to see Freddy Adu in a central attacking midfield role in at least one of these group stage games. The US lacks so much creativity it would be benefit having him out there despite his many flaws.

This could be the end of the road for: Bob Bradley as coach, Jozy Altidore as a starter up top and Onyewu on the back line. If we had any decent young option at left back we wouldn't have to see an aging and slow Boca and Borenstien there, but this is what we are likely stuck with until we can groom a replacement.

If we lose to Canada I am going to blow my head off..........clean off

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:16 pm 
Got Some

Here is what I would go with against Canada:

Dempsey/Agudelo

Donovan/Bradley/Edu/Bedoya

Bocanegra/Goodson/Ream/Cherundolo

Howard

This will NOT be what gets run out there however as Jozy will start, along with Gooch. I do feel Dempsey is probably our best option up top at this point and we need to give minutes to Agudelo so he can develop. As it is I feel we will get to the final against Mexico and 50/50 win this whole thing. The Mexican defense and really even midfield are nothing special and their goalkeepers are suspect. Chicharito scares the shit out of me though....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:42 pm 
Unthought Known

I would go with this for the Canada game:

--------------Altidore---------------

Donovan-----------------------Dempsey
---------Bradley-------Holden--------
---------------Jones---------------

Bocanegra--Goodson----Onyewu---Cherundolo

--------------Howard----------------

Bradley will probably go with this

--------Altidore-----Agudelo--------

Donovan-----------------------Dempsey
---------Bradley-----Jones----------

Bornstein--Bocanegra--Onyewu----Cherundolo

------------Howard-----------------

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 pm 
Unthought Known

I totally just blanked on Holden being injured, never mind my lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:46 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I for one agree with you on Bradley, he was one of the few players who really impressed against Spain. He needs to find somewhere he can get some regular playing time instead of sitting on the bench like he was at Aston Villa. I think Agudelo needs to come off the bench though, young strikers tend to do better when they come in mid game, when some of the defenders legs are starting to tire and they can take advantage of their energy rather than relying on decision making.

As far as the midfield it really is a cluster fuck with Holden out. I really don't have faith in the other options so I'm hoping one of them makes me look like an idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:52 pm 
Unthought Known

pearljamfan80 wrote:
I for one agree with you on Bradley, he was one of the few players who really impressed against Spain. He needs to find somewhere he can get some regular playing time instead of sitting on the bench like he was at Aston Villa. I think Agudelo needs to come off the bench though, young strikers tend to do better when they come in mid game, when some of the defenders legs are starting to tire and they can take advantage of their energy rather than relying on decision making.

As far as the midfield it really is a cluster fuck with Holden out. I really don't have faith in the other options so I'm hoping one of them makes me look like an idiot.

Edu could potentially step up, I'm high on Jones too. Bradley is one of our best players, anyone who thinks he plays because his father is the coach has no idea what they are talking about. I agree on Agudelo, I'd like to move this kid along with baby steps. What's really important with him is that he doesnt take the Adu/Altidore career path and make a big move at 19 or 20 that stunts his growth for the next 5 years. Those two havent really advanced their game at all since leaving MLS, we dont need another guy like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:58 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I agree. If you're going to go to Europe, go to a lower division side where playing time will be aplenty and work your way up to the mid-table top tier clubs and, if possible, the high level clubs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:59 pm 
Got Some

Just from watching past games it seems Edu and Bradley have the best chemistry together. Jones played well in the EPL this year but hasn't brought that form to the national team yet. He looked great against Poland at a friendly I was at back in October but that has really been it.

I agree with you guys on Agudelo but Jozy is going to start and he needs a guy with some pace paired up with him to do well. The only forward called up that can provide that is Juan. I would think Bob plans to use Dempsey up top frequently as he only called in Wondolowski, Juan and Jozy...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:00 am 
Stone's Bitch

Oh and fuck El Tri.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 am 
Got Some

Mick I like your first lineup but sadly with Holden out it simply doesn't work. They have tried the 5 person midfield in friendlies since Holden went down and there are just too many players in their mid pool with similar skill sets. The result is no service to Jozy and Donovan and Dempsey languishing on the wings. I may be completely crazy but if you run a 5 man midfield with the call ups we have for the Gold cup you would want Adu in there. But realistically I don't think he sees the field the whole tournament. I for one am rooting for that kid as its rumored a lot of his attitude problems and laziness have gotten better with his stay in Turkey...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:07 am 
Unthought Known

Why the hell would you schedule Spain as the warmup game if you werent going to field the A team? I dont want to hear that getting undressed by Spain's attacking corps for 90 minutes is a valuable learning experience. If you wanted to field a B team play someone like China like they did in 07. I almost got tickets to that game yesterday, I'm so happy I didnt now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 am 
Poney Girl

Wait there are soccer fans in america? O_O

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:10 am 
Stone's Bitch

Wes C. Addle wrote:

*USMNT fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:12 am 
Unthought Known

verb_to_trust wrote:
Mick I like your first lineup but sadly with Holden out it simply doesn't work. They have tried the 5 person midfield in friendlies since Holden went down and there are just too many players in their mid pool with similar skill sets. The result is no service to Jozy and Donovan and Dempsey languishing on the wings. I may be completely crazy but if you run a 5 man midfield with the call ups we have for the Gold cup you would want Adu in there. But realistically I don't think he sees the field the whole tournament. I for one am rooting for that kid as its rumored a lot of his attitude problems and laziness have gotten better with his stay in Turkey...

Yeah once I remembered that Holden is out I knew that lineup was out too. The only reason you use the 5 man midfield is so you can have Holden and Bradley on the field at the same time without putting Holden on the wing. The left back thing is still a huge problem for us, I'd rather see Spector than Bornstein or Bocanegra. Bocanegra can keep up with CONCACAF teams on the left, but I dont see how that helps us when we can get by against CONCACAF teams with Spector or Lichaj. Bocanegra cant keep up with the kind of teams we would have to play in the World Cup, so I dont see why we should play him there in the Gold Cup. Bornstein actually wasnt half bad in the WC, but I'm just not a fan and I dont think he's been playing much in Mexico(I might be wrong about that.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:12 am 
Unthought Known

pearljamfan80 wrote:
Wes C. Addle wrote:

*USMNT fans.

If the Revs werent such an embarrassment I would watch a lot more MLS than I do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports