Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:34 am
Posts: 12029
verb_to_trust wrote:
Those can't be real. Designed on the computer by a City fan?


this was posted previously, looks the same only different lighting

Image

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm a big fan of every invention post I've read.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:25 am
Posts: 1486
Location: Illinois
Gender: Male
The tablecloth/picnic basket look would not be a good move....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm 
Offline
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:40 am
Posts: 2114
Location: Coventry
I love the way the entire country wanted City to lose, then they go and do us a favour :haha:

_________________
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 19826
Location: Alone in a corridor
Hallucination wrote:
I love the way the entire country wanted City to lose, then they go and do us a favour :haha:


So wait, everyone wants to see United lose the title. But everyone wants to see City lose as well. This shit is confusing me big time. So who's gonna win the league then? Wigan?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 19826
Location: Alone in a corridor
In before some kind of not-so-funny picture or way-too-long article kpj is going to post about the, based on tonight, clearly inevitable return to glory by the grand Liverpool Football Club and their glorious manager King Kenny. I mean, even Jordan fucking Henderson seems to be scoring. The race for 7th is truly epic. Next year is their year. YNWA. JFT96. STFU.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:07 pm 
Offline
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:40 am
Posts: 2114
Location: Coventry
Angus wrote:
Hallucination wrote:
I love the way the entire country wanted City to lose, then they go and do us a favour :haha:


So wait, everyone wants to see United lose the title. But everyone wants to see City lose as well. This shit is confusing me big time. So who's gonna win the league then? Wigan?


I've found quite a few fans of clubs whose support traditionally hates United wanting them to win the league. We're nothing, it's always been Tottenham for us and you're just a team we didn't like because we were competing for the title. I'm talking Newcastle, Blackburn (alright that was 1 title but consider the geography as well). A blackburn fan at work wants you to win it, I've come across 2 Newcastle fans who want you to win it. The most intriguing 1 is a Sunderland fan. He wanted Newcastle to beat City, and Newcastle are competing for a place in the CL. As for me, I'm just glad neither Tottenham or Chelsea will win it.

_________________
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:34 am
Posts: 12029
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm a big fan of every invention post I've read.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:34 am
Posts: 12029
Image

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm a big fan of every invention post I've read.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 19826
Location: Alone in a corridor
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



Do you have some numbers for that? I saw some recently where United were quite far behind City & Chelsea.

And I’m surprised by Hallu’s comments people wanting City to lose this one. Might be true. I won’t argue. Over here, everyone who follows the EPL closely (lots of people do), are quite bored of United winning the league and want City to do. Although of course Kompany is a big factor in that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:36 am
Posts: 5458
Location: Left field
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.

_________________
seen it all, not at all
can't defend fucked up man
take me a for a ride before we leave...

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
jwfocker wrote:
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.



But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent? Clearly they've spent it well too. Not like Chelsea blowing terrible cash on Torres.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:36 am
Posts: 5458
Location: Left field
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.



But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent? Clearly they've spent it well too. Not like Chelsea blowing terrible cash on Torres.



Hahaha well of course everyone would want that in their team. That's not the point. Also, I'm not about to say that Man city has spent their money well. Chelsea made one huge mistake. Man City has purchased so many good players that they were bound to eventually hit on a couple. Man City spends a lot of money and not all of that is spent well. An example of a team that spends money well though would be a team like Newcastle or Borussia Dortmond.

_________________
seen it all, not at all
can't defend fucked up man
take me a for a ride before we leave...

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
jwfocker wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.



But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent? Clearly they've spent it well too. Not like Chelsea blowing terrible cash on Torres.



Hahaha well of course everyone would want that in their team. That's not the point. Also, I'm not about to say that Man city has spent their money well. Chelsea made one huge mistake. Man City has purchased so many good players that they were bound to eventually hit on a couple. Man City spends a lot of money and not all of that is spent well. An example of a team that spends money well though would be a team like Newcastle or Borussia Dortmond.



well yeah I mean that's fair. But at that level, it's a rich mans toy. At least that rich man wants desperately to win. Just weird that it's Man City.

If I were a long suffering Man City fan I'd be overjoyed (but then I'm not paying for season tickets either so...)

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:36 am
Posts: 5458
Location: Left field
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.



But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent? Clearly they've spent it well too. Not like Chelsea blowing terrible cash on Torres.



Hahaha well of course everyone would want that in their team. That's not the point. Also, I'm not about to say that Man city has spent their money well. Chelsea made one huge mistake. Man City has purchased so many good players that they were bound to eventually hit on a couple. Man City spends a lot of money and not all of that is spent well. An example of a team that spends money well though would be a team like Newcastle or Borussia Dortmond.



well yeah I mean that's fair. But at that level, it's a rich mans toy. At least that rich man wants desperately to win. Just weird that it's Man City.

If I were a long suffering Man City fan I'd be overjoyed (but then I'm not paying for season tickets either so...)



Very true. From everything that I've read of late it looks like Man City is about to get Eden Hazard. They could be scary good next season if this deal goes through.

_________________
seen it all, not at all
can't defend fucked up man
take me a for a ride before we leave...

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
jwfocker wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.



But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent? Clearly they've spent it well too. Not like Chelsea blowing terrible cash on Torres.



Hahaha well of course everyone would want that in their team. That's not the point. Also, I'm not about to say that Man city has spent their money well. Chelsea made one huge mistake. Man City has purchased so many good players that they were bound to eventually hit on a couple. Man City spends a lot of money and not all of that is spent well. An example of a team that spends money well though would be a team like Newcastle or Borussia Dortmond.



well yeah I mean that's fair. But at that level, it's a rich mans toy. At least that rich man wants desperately to win. Just weird that it's Man City.

If I were a long suffering Man City fan I'd be overjoyed (but then I'm not paying for season tickets either so...)



Very true. From everything that I've read of late it looks like Man City is about to get Eden Hazard. They could be scary good next season if this deal goes through.



Here's hoping he will drive to work in Bubba Watson's 1970 Dodge Charger

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm 
Offline
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:40 am
Posts: 2114
Location: Coventry
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.



But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent? Clearly they've spent it well too. Not like Chelsea blowing terrible cash on Torres.


That's really hard to say. I wouldn't want us to become a rich mans play thing, but then I don't think the nationality card applies in every case. An Englishman can do a poor job, then sell to someone better who just happens to be foreign. What would concern me are a) the question of whether or not my club would get asset stripped (is the owner taking on debt and naming the club as the ower, for example?) and b) ethical issues to do with the owner. I wouldn't want Abramovic, or the leader or ex leader of a country who I felt had a poor human rights record.

_________________
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
Hallucination wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
invention wrote:
I don't really get why people hate City. Their wage bill isn't that different from Man U., Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and is far behind the beloved Barcelona. Even Aston Villa has a $100 mm squad.



It's not their wage bill that is an issue. Every good team in European soccer has a ballooning wage budget. So it's not even an argument. It's their yearly transfer budget that is absurd. The two are separate on a teams operating budget and man city is the tits when it comes to transfer budget. I think only Real Madrid is even in the same ball park.



But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent? Clearly they've spent it well too. Not like Chelsea blowing terrible cash on Torres.


That's really hard to say. I wouldn't want us to become a rich mans play thing, but then I don't think the nationality card applies in every case. An Englishman can do a poor job, then sell to someone better who just happens to be foreign. What would concern me are a) the question of whether or not my club would get asset stripped (is the owner taking on debt and naming the club as the ower, for example?) and b) ethical issues to do with the owner. I wouldn't want Abramovic, or the leader or ex leader of a country who I felt had a poor human rights record.


I can understand that certainly. As a fan, I think ultimately I'd like to know or think anyway that our owner cares as much as we do about the team winning. Like Steinbrenner ran the Yankees in the 90's. He vastly overpaid for talent, but didn't care if he lost a few dollars because he wanted to win. At the same time I wouldn't want my team funded by slave labour practices either.

Perhaps if Chelsea win another title the cup could be forged from aluminum.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 19826
Location: Alone in a corridor
Electromatic wrote:
But don't we all wish we had owners of our teams willing to spend that kind of money on talent?


NO NO NO NO NO

And I'm a season ticket holder at a third division team and have been for 15 years. So this post has nothing to do with Man Utd/Barça. I want our club to remain our club. You know, we were in first division until a few years ago, then we went bankrupt. Started over in 4th. And these last few years feel way more like "our club" than ever before. It's the most proud I've been of our team in all its history. And I've not missed a single home game, even when it meant missing Barça-Real & City-United. [Bad results anyway :) )

To compare it to England:
give me Danny Welbeck over Edin Dzeko any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I couldn't care less the latter might score more or be better. The first one is 'ours'.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:34 am
Posts: 12029
Image

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm a big fan of every invention post I've read.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: English Premier League 2011/12
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:36 pm 
Offline
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:19 pm
Posts: 1156
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 pm