Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: The Official 2011 College Football Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
Fair point, but the tackling in both games, was freaking brilliant anyway.

um, i'm pretty sure there's tackling no matter who's playing. just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:53 am 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
Mike Gundy's team and Stanford do not play anywhere near the level of defense that Alabama does.

Instead of 21 to 0 you're looking at a 38-10 or 30 to 15 score at best.

about the same score that LSU/Oregon played too earlier in the season.

Alabama's offense is nothing special though, and Stanford is a very different animal than Oregon. I could be wrong but it seems like Bama played some pretty shitty QBs and I think Luck could have scored enough points on them. Alabama is more competent than explosive outside of Richardson from what I saw. We'll never actually get to prove any of this since two SEC teams played a boring rematch in the title game and there's still no playoff. :roll:

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:37 pm 
Unthought Known

Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Mike Gundy's team and Stanford do not play anywhere near the level of defense that Alabama does.

Alabama's offense is nothing special though, and Stanford is a very different animal than Oregon. I could be wrong but it seems like Bama played some pretty shitty QBs and I think Luck could have scored enough points on them. Alabama is more competent than explosive outside of Richardson from what I saw. We'll never actually get to prove any of this since two SEC teams played a boring rematch in the title game and there's still no playoff. :roll:

I think we'll have a plus 1 by next season anyway probably stretch the season out to the Superbowl.

You're not giving Alabama enough credit with a sophmore QB though, Maze and Hanks are very good WR's. McCarron is the Alabama system type, smart, not incredibly athletic but doesn't generally lose the game for you (JP Wilson, Greg McElroy, now McCarron two of which have won NC's and one was very close) McCarron made a few key plays, that helped them win the other night and Bama's RB's even behind Richardson are incrediby good. We barely saw waht Eddie Lacy can do this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I don't disagree that Bama is more competent than explosive, but I still think that would be enough. I'm not foolishenough to say that Stanford or OK State could never beat Alabama, but overall i'll take our D and a competent offense any day of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 pm 

Electromatic wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I think we'll have a plus 1 by next season anyway probably stretch the season out to the Superbowl.

You're not giving Alabama enough credit with a sophmore QB though, Maze and Hanks are very good WR's. McCarron is the Alabama system type, smart, not incredibly athletic but doesn't generally lose the game for you (JP Wilson, Greg McElroy, now McCarron two of which have won NC's and one was very close) McCarron made a few key plays, that helped them win the other night and Bama's RB's even behind Richardson are incrediby good. We barely saw waht Eddie Lacy can do this year.

I was highly critical of McCarron all seasong long. I had to keep reminding myself that this was his first year starting and he didn't have a go to guy like Julio, but I still grew very frustrated with him at times. McCarron has a better arm and better physical tools than McElroy, and I think the NC game is going to a long way for his confidence. He made some tough throws and did a great job alluding pressure. If I remember correctly he was only sacked once and that was when someone missed a block.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 pm 
Unthought Known

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I was highly critical of McCarron all seasong long. I had to keep reminding myself that this was his first year starting and he didn't have a go to guy like Julio, but I still grew very frustrated with him at times. McCarron has a better arm and better physical tools than McElroy, and I think the NC game is going to a long way for his confidence. He made some tough throws and did a great job alluding pressure. If I remember correctly he was only sacked once and that was when someone missed a block.

Fluker was beaten badly on one play in the 4th Quarter and McCarron shook off the tackle like Eli Manning, then instead of making a poor decision and throwing he had the presence of mind to go down in the middle of the field at the 25 to set up that last FG I believe. They'll have a lot more confidence in McCarron next year and he'll play with a lot more going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 pm 

Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Fluker was beaten badly on one play in the 4th Quarter and McCarron shook off the tackle like Eli Manning, then instead of making a poor decision and throwing he had the presence of mind to go down in the middle of the field at the 25 to set up that last FG I believe. They'll have a lot more confidence in McCarron next year and he'll play with a lot more going forward.

Agreed. I really hope Duron Carter is as advertised. His dad seems to think he's special at least.

I’ll be interested to see what we’re like at RB next year. Richardson is a lock to leave early of course, but I’m curious to see what Lacy will do as a starter. We’ll get Dee Hart back and I think T.J. Yeldon is enrolling early so he may even contribute. Most of the O-Line will be back as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Agreed. I really hope Duron Carter is as advertised. His dad seems to think he's special at least.

I’ll be interested to see what we’re like at RB next year. Richardson is a lock to leave early of course, but I’m curious to see what Lacy will do as a starter. We’ll get Dee Hart back and I think T.J. Yeldon is enrolling early so he may even contribute. Most of the O-Line will be back as well.

I don't know what to think of Duron Carter. I know he's talented, but I think he thinks he's better than he is. I sort of question his effort. Until I see him do it, I don't really believe he's much of an impact player.

Darius Hanks conversely, was the slot receiver at his HS. Brice Butler went to USC and never showed up. Devonta Bolton went to Alabama, and I haven't heard anything about him since.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm 

Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I don't know what to think of Duron Carter. I know he's talented, but I think he thinks he's better than he is. I sort of question his effort. Until I see him do it, I don't really believe he's much of an impact player.

Darius Hanks conversely, was the slot receiver at his HS. Brice Butler went to USC and never showed up. Devonta Bolton went to Alabama, and I haven't heard anything about him since.

Didn't know that about him and Hanks.

How is GA's recruting class shaping up? I haven't really followed them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:59 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Didn't know that about him and Hanks.

How is GA's recruting class shaping up? I haven't really followed them.

It's been really good the last 2 years. They just got a commit from the top DE in the state (not sure if that means he'll have his hand on the ground or be an OLB yet) but between him and John Theius (OL, Florida) they are plugging some holes where they have had depth problems. I expect one of last years recruits, Ray Drew to be pretty good.

Keith Marshall is one of the best RB's in the nation and he's committed apparently they are expecting his buddy Todd Gurley to come as well. That would be a big help considering the absence of quality tailbacks at Georgia.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 pm 

Is there anything going on with Crowell?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:11 pm 
Unthought Known

Is there anything going on with Crowell?

I think you would have to ask Crowell about that. That said, the air moving from your voice might injure him. Between smoking weed and checking out of football games I'm not sure he even likes football.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:00 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'd be surprised if Carter can keep himself eligible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm 
Unthought Known

Joesanity wrote:

at Alabama?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Electromatic wrote:
Joesanity wrote:

at Alabama?

Good point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 pm 

This coming from a fan of a school on probation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports