Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 166  Next

Who will hoist the Stanley Cup?
Los Angeles Kings over New York Rangers 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Phoenix Coyotes over New York Rangers 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
New York Rangers over Los Angeles Kings 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
New York Rangers over Phoenix Coyotes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Los Angeles Kings over New Jersey Devils 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Phoenix Coyotes over New Jersey Devils 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
New Jersey Devils over Los Angeles Kings 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
New Jersey Devils over Phoenix Coyotes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Re: 2011-12 NHL Season
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:15 pm 
Reissued

Pete, did you honestly just suggest that because Simmonds had a banana peel thrown at him, he gets to call someone else a faggot? You realize ANOTHER young gay man killed himself a few weeks ago because of bullying, right? You've got to be kidding.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 pm 
Stone's Red Headed Stepchild Bitch

Mickey wrote:
Pete, did you honestly just suggest that because Simmonds had a banana peel thrown at him, he gets to call someone else a faggot? You realize ANOTHER young gay man killed himself a few weeks ago because of bullying, right? You've got to be kidding.

I suggested that it should be part of the consideration in the punishment decision. I didn't suggest he gets a free pass. But yes, I'll cut a guy a little slack under the recent circumstances. Not to would be insensitive. Sure, he was being insensitive, but it doesn't mean the recent event should have no consideration in a decision.

Not to mention, if this was the first time this ever happened in the NHL, then sure, suspend the guy and set a precedent. But if Brendan Shanahan wants to mic every player in order to hear what they say in every scuffle, more power to him.

I guess in the end, I don't care, fine him equivalent to what Kobe got fined based on salary, but get any suspension talk out of here. And people are throwing that idea around. That's absurd.

i'm a hole in the pipeline, i'm a road side bomb..."

:peace: Frank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 pm 
Reissued

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I suggested that it should be part of the consideration in the punishment decision. I didn't suggest he gets a free pass. But yes, I'll cut a guy a little slack under the recent circumstances. Not to would be insensitive. Sure, he was being insensitive, but it doesn't mean the recent event should have no consideration in a decision.

Not to mention, if this was the first time this ever happened in the NHL, then sure, suspend the guy and set a precedent. But if Brendan Shanahan wants to mic every player in order to hear what they say in every scuffle, more power to him.

I guess in the end, I don't care, fine him equivalent to what Kobe got fined based on salary, but get any suspension talk out of here. And people are throwing that idea around. That's absurd.

What? Where in your life have you ever seen that sort of logic applied? "Oh, yeah, I robbed that 7-11, but come on, my girlfriend was cat-called the other day."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:39 pm 
Reissued

To suspend him might be absurd, but it absolutely wouldn't be for the reasons you're stating. Jesus god I hope you never practice law.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:40 pm 

Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

What? Where in your life have you ever seen that sort of logic applied? "Oh, yeah, I robbed that 7-11, but come on, my girlfriend was cat-called the other day."

Except we're not talking about anything illegal, so....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 pm 

Also, glad to see Mickey is right back in form to start off the new season. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 pm 
Reissued

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

When have you ever seen that sort of logic applied, anywhere?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm 
Reissued

"Oh, it's okay, he only called those men 'faggots' and insinuated that they are sub-human because someone called him the n-word the other day, no worries."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:51 pm 

Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

All the time, Mickey. Say a kid in school is acting out 2 weeks after his dad just up and left his family. Is his dad not leaving he and his family not grounds for sympathy?

Or I show up to work next week after I find out my dad has been cheating on my mom for 4 years. If my performance lowers for a few weeks, is what happened to my family by what my dad did not somewhat a fair reason for my lower performance?

I don't know about you man, but I've never been a black man in an almost all white lifestyle and had a banana thrown at me in front of 15,000 people.

Like I said, to not have some consideration of what happened to him would be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 pm 

Mickey wrote:
"Oh, it's okay, he only called those men 'faggots' and insinuated that they are sub-human because someone called him the n-word the other day, no worries."

I never said it was okay about what he did. I even agree there should be punishment. I think you just got a little too gung-ho on this one, pal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:00 am 
Reissued

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

All the time, Mickey. Say a kid in school is acting out 2 weeks after his dad just up and left his family. Is his dad not leaving he and his family not grounds for sympathy?

Or I show up to work next week after I find out my dad has been cheating on my mom for 4 years. If my performance lowers for a few weeks, is what happened to my family by what my dad did not somewhat a fair reason for my lower performance?

I don't know about you man, but I've never been a black man in an almost all white lifestyle and had a banana thrown at me in front of 15,000 people.

Like I said, to not have some consideration of what happened to him would be wrong.

Yes, it's entirely appropriate to compare a kid acting out or performing poorly at work to a grown man saying "faggot" in a derogatory way. Hey Pete, here's an idea: go call someone a faggot at work, see how that goes for you. See if anyone cares what happened to you a week ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 am 

Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Yes, it's entirely appropriate to compare a kid acting out or performing poorly at work to a grown man saying "faggot" in a derogatory way. Hey Pete, here's an idea: go call someone a faggot at work, see how that goes for you. See if anyone cares what happened to you a week ago.

That analogy you made doesn't even apply to what I was trying to say. Didn't you graduate already?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 am 
Reissued

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I don't know about you, but I don't hate my co-workers in the same way an NHL player hates Sean Avery. Not to mention, the analogy you made doesn't even apply to what I was trying to say. Didn't you graduate already?

Oh, right--it's okay to use slurs against people you hate. I think my analogy was between someone using a slur at work and...someone using a slur at work. Huh, imagine that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 am 
AnalLog

here's an idea.

London should not be allowed to host a game for a while (suspension)

and

simmonds should make a public apology (no suspension)

sound reasonable?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 am 

What I was saying, however, was that highly traumatic experiences can effect different people different ways in different times of their life. That's what my analogies emulated. Yours did not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:06 am 
Reissued

It's affect, you fucking clown.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 am 
Reissued

And for the record, making excuses for someone calling someone else a faggot during a game is pretty base.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:09 am 

How about I go even this far, maybe Mickey will agree with his.

It would be not necessarily "fair" for the NHL to use the incident of the banana throwing as a consideration in their decision making, but in a way, part of human nature. When someone's pretty down, you give them a bit of a break.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:09 am 

Mickey wrote:
It's affect, you fucking clown.

touche. I'm usually pretty on top of that one. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:10 am 
Reissued

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
How about I go even this far, maybe Mickey will agree with his.

It would be not necessarily "fair" for the NHL to use the incident of the banana throwing as a consideration in their decision making, but in a way, part of human nature. When someone's pretty down, you give them a bit of a break.

"No, no, no, you don't understand--yes, he called you a faggot during monopoly, but during game night LAST week, someone called him a gayfer. So it's okay."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 166  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports