Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 166  Next

Who will hoist the Stanley Cup?
Los Angeles Kings over New York Rangers 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Phoenix Coyotes over New York Rangers 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
New York Rangers over Los Angeles Kings 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
New York Rangers over Phoenix Coyotes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Los Angeles Kings over New Jersey Devils 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Phoenix Coyotes over New Jersey Devils 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
New Jersey Devils over Los Angeles Kings 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
New Jersey Devils over Phoenix Coyotes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Re: 2011-12 NHL Season
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm 
Reissued

At least Bryzgalov is a rock.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm 
AnalLog

Mickey wrote:
At least Bryzgalov is a rock.
yeah, i'm sure he can hold the fort until they land re-enforcements at the deadline.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:13 pm 
statistically insignificant

Mickey wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Mickey wrote:
They knew going into it that Poile had stated he was going to match. Maybe they didn't get Weber, but they ensured that either he'd be a Flyer or he'd be in Nashville--he's not going anywhere else. They've got problems on defense, but at least they're not facing Pittsburgh plus Weber.
blah blah, philly sucks.

Oh yeah, fuck 'em for sure. What's the top pairing now, Timonen and Meszaros?

luke schenn lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 pm 
AnalLog

thodoks wrote:
Mickey wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Mickey wrote:
They knew going into it that Poile had stated he was going to match. Maybe they didn't get Weber, but they ensured that either he'd be a Flyer or he'd be in Nashville--he's not going anywhere else. They've got problems on defense, but at least they're not facing Pittsburgh plus Weber.
blah blah, philly sucks.

Oh yeah, fuck 'em for sure. What's the top pairing now, Timonen and Meszaros?

luke schenn lol
don't forget JVR & Jagr are out of town as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:34 pm 
Supersonic

thodoks wrote:
luke schenn lol

I think Schenn's going to have a very good career in Philly, and I think it's going to start with a big season right away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:36 pm 
Stone's Red Headed Stepchild Bitch

Dammit! I hope that wretched franchise goes bankrupt and relocates to compton!

But in all seriousness, I'm still excited to see the changes holmgren is still guaranteed to make. He's in no way done. You don't strike out on landing a d-man like weber and not follow it up with at least another sizeable move.

i'm a hole in the pipeline, i'm a road side bomb..."

:peace: Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:40 pm 
Supersonic

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:

But in all seriousness, I'm still excited to see the changes holmgren is still guaranteed to make. He's in no way done. You don't strike out on landing a d-man like weber and not follow it up with at least another sizeable move.

What players of even remotely comparable impact are available right now? As much as I would hate it, I could see them signing Doan since he would be a perfect fit, but I have a hard time seeing how they could make any kind of significant upgrade on defense right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:01 pm 
a joke

PhilPritchard wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:

What players of even remotely comparable impact are available right now? As much as I would hate it, I could see them signing Doan since he would be a perfect fit, but I have a hard time seeing how they could make any kind of significant upgrade on defense right now.

Don't remind me.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm 
Reissued

There's not a free agent D-man out there who can replace what they lost in Carle, to not even mention the gaping whole left by Pronger--Weber was probably the only available dude to fill that one. Not saying the Flyers will tank, and Holmgren isn't done, I don't think, but unless he pulls a trade I just don't think you're looking at a cup-winning team with that D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 pm 
Got Some

Not that he's Shea Weber, but if they're looking for help on D, maybe a big offer sheet to Subban?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 pm 
Stone's Red Headed Stepchild Bitch

Mickey wrote:
There's not a free agent D-man out there who can replace what they lost in Carle, to not even mention the gaping whole left by Pronger--Weber was probably the only available dude to fill that one. Not saying the Flyers will tank, and Holmgren isn't done, I don't think, but unless he pulls a trade I just don't think you're looking at a cup-winning team with that D.

If he doesn't sign Doan, he will trade for a d-man. If he signs Doan, he may or may not do that.

To be honest, Luke schenn is not much (if any) of a downgrade from Carle. Especially with schenn still being so young and with more upside. As of now, our team hasn't gotten worse from last season, in my opinion, but it also hasn't gotten any better yet. There are no recent seasons I can remember the flyers haven't appeared to get "better" at least by offseason standards, so I do think homer isn't done.

i'm a hole in the pipeline, i'm a road side bomb..."

:peace: Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 pm 
Reissued

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

If he doesn't sign Doan, he will trade for a d-man. If he signs Doan, he may or may not do that.

To be honest, Luke schenn is not much (if any) of a downgrade from Carle. Especially with schenn still being so young and with more upside. As of now, our team hasn't gotten worse from last season, in my opinion, but it also hasn't gotten any better yet. There are no recent seasons I can remember the flyers haven't appeared to get "better" at least by offseason standards, so I do think homer isn't done.

Maybe. From what I've seen, I think Luke Schenn is overhyped (just like a lot of Toronto prospects tend to be) and, at least for the upcoming season, is a downgrade from Carle. But there's also gotta be a difference between playing for a team that went winless in what, like 20 games? and playing for the Flyers. But I have to imagine your NHL-ready talent that's ready to step-up from the minors is pretty tapped, with all the rookies last year, not to mention sophomore slump, not to mention the question of what Holmgren gives up for this alleged D-man--and I'm assuming you're looking for a top-2 guy here, if one's available. So yeah, they might not have gotten worse, but right now I'd put them as a maybe for the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:58 pm 
AnalLog

MattA751 wrote:
Not that he's Shea Weber, but if they're looking for help on D, maybe a big offer sheet to Subban?

i cant make myself any more clear than this: fuck no.

back up plan is keith yandle, who is no weber, but better than any other options. also, matt carle fucking sucks.

wouldnt be surprised if flyers get doan or bobby ryan now

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm 
AnalLog

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
As of now, our team hasn't gotten worse from last season
so having zero prospect of pronger contributing, losing carle, jvr, and jagr, while only gaining schenn equates to this team somehow being at last year's level or better? i'm speechless.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 pm 
AnalLog

oh wait, they got fedotenko, nevermind, they're totally better than last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 pm 
AnalLog

EllisEamos wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
so having zero prospect of pronger contributing, losing carle, jvr, and jagr, while only gaining schenn equates to this team somehow being at last year's level or better? i'm speechless.

he didnt say the team got better

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm 
AnalLog

warehouse wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
sportsfreakpete6 wrote:

he didnt say the team got better
you're right. i should have left that out. it's still nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:37 pm 
AnalLog

it all depends on who they get to replace jagr, and if its one of bobby ryan or shane doan id say they are fine.

carle for schenn is a wash. i think schenn brings more things to the table the flyers need, but he's not as offensive as carle. jvr only played 1/2 the season last year, so losing him isnt really a big deal honestly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:42 pm 
Supersonic

Mickey wrote:
Maybe. From what I've seen, I think Luke Schenn is overhyped (just like a lot of Toronto prospects tend to be) and, at least for the upcoming season, is a downgrade from Carle.

I think he was rushed to the NHL, and that has delayed his development. Still, he's had two very good seasons where he played a perfect shutdown role with strong physical play and a decent offensive contribution. That's what he's capable of, and he should be able to bring that more consistently in a system that doesn't focus purely on offense.

As much as he's overhyped by Leafs fans, he's bashed by fans of other teams. It works the same way with every Leafs prospect because everyone either loves them or hates them. Nazem Kadri is either the next big offensive superstar or he's a career AHLer with no trade value. There tends to be very little middle ground with Leafs prospects, but that's exactly where Schenn should fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:07 pm 
Reissued

PhilPritchard wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Maybe. From what I've seen, I think Luke Schenn is overhyped (just like a lot of Toronto prospects tend to be) and, at least for the upcoming season, is a downgrade from Carle.

I think he was rushed to the NHL, and that has delayed his development. Still, he's had two very good seasons where he played a perfect shutdown role with strong physical play and a decent offensive contribution. That's what he's capable of, and he should be able to bring that more consistently in a system that doesn't focus purely on offense.

As much as he's overhyped by Leafs fans, he's bashed by fans of other teams. It works the same way with every Leafs prospect because everyone either loves them or hates them. Nazem Kadri is either the next big offensive superstar or he's a career AHLer with no trade value. There tends to be very little middle ground with Leafs prospects, but that's exactly where Schenn should fit.

This is certainly true, and it holds for Montreal as well--Subban, Price, the Kostitsyns. Any market where the hockey press is that overwhelming is going to uptalk their prospects to the point of absurdity. But I think it's worse for Toronto because, unlike Montreal with Price, they haven't had a legitimate prospect develop in a while now (to my knowledge). For an outsider, we see all these guys getting hyped and ending up as 2/3rd line talent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 166  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports