Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Los Angeles Dodgers Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 pm 
Stone's Bitch

If the fucking Royals get a thread, then the Dodgers sure as hell deserve one.

I think this is the year they actually win a playoff series where I'll actually remember it.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Last edited by pearljamfan80 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:40 am, edited 19 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:54 am 
Stone's Bitch

where's a response from Koufax when I need one? :?

Anyway, really like the addition of Schmidt to the rotation and DEFINETELY stoked about losing Nancy Drew in the outfield. Just gives us another spot to develop one of our supremely talented kids(Kemp, Ethier). We need another big bat though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a trade at some point during the season. Schmidt, Penny and Lowe might give us one of the best 1-2-3 punches in the whole NL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:02 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

no more jd drew :thumbsup: :D
juan pierre's contract :thumbsdown: :? :x
the starting pitching staff :thumbsup:
the offense :thumbsdown: (please add another hitter)
all you can eat promotion :thumbsdown: (beer is not included and its $35 or $40 on game day)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:07 am 
Team Binaural

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:13 am 
Stone's Bitch

lunkin wrote:
no more jd drew :thumbsup: :D
juan pierre's contract :thumbsdown: :? :x
the starting pitching staff :thumbsup:
the offense :thumbsdown: (please add another hitter)
all you can eat promotion :thumbsdown: (beer is not included and its $35 or $40 on game day)

I would agree with you on Pierre and needing another hitter.

There's an all you can eat promotion?! :shock:

sounds good to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:01 am 
Camden Crew

here I am!

I have very high hopes for the Blue this year, but that usually leads to the inevidable letdown. But heres as honest a preview I can type:

you gotta LOVE the starting rotation. signing Jason Schmidt was perfect. Many think he is a better pitcher than Zito, and LA got him for a lot less years and money. He needs to be the true ace the Dodgers need him to be. 17-20 wins would be nice.

#2 is Derek Lowe. Lowe has been lights out at times in LA, in between his bouts of personality disorder. He's a groundball pitcher in the best pitchers park in the NL, and he usually gets solid D behind him.

#3 should be Brad Penny. I say should, because LA is apparently trying to trade the big lug, and I think thats a complete mistake. Ive always thought Penny was the perfect #3 pitcher, but the Dodgers (thanks Depo you fool) needed him to be the staff ace, and Penny doesnt have the mental makeup for that. Trading him would hurt this rotaion, in my opinion.

#4 will be Randy Wolf. He has the potential to be a 15 game winner if hes past his injury trouble. Dont know too much about him, but from what ive read I am encouraged

#5 will be a batter probably between Chad Billingsley and Hung Chi Kuo. Bills is young and doesnt seem to know where the strike zone is half the time. Hes got the stuff to be a 20 game winner, but he walks way way too many hitters. Kuo is a mystery. I sat in Shea last year and watched him baffle the Mets lineup. He was awesome. One of them should win the job

The bullpen....minus Gagne. Doesnt seem right. HE split on the Dodgers for an extra $2mill from the Rangers. Heartbreaking, but in reality this guy Saito did outstanding as the closer and should be pretty good in the role again. Johnathan "300lbs" Broxton is a closer in waiting. Blazing fastball. Will be the set up guy for another yr and if Saito is hurt or sucks, he can step in a bit early and become the closer.

Other than them, the bullpen is made up of ex-starters. Brett Tomko turned out to be a bust, Mark Hendrickson is one of the worst pitchers Ive ever seen, and they always have Elmer Dessens. theres some others there, not worth mentioning I guess. Jo Biemel, maybe Yhency BRazabon may come back from TJ surgery after the AS break.

The lineup is not all that potent as far as HRs go. They signed Juan Pierre to replace the aged Kenny Lofton, and although Davo and I disagree on this, I think he will be better than Kenny for the Dodgers. Rafael Furcal in the #2 slot, both are expected to get on base a lot and steal bases, create run opportunities for the big hitters next.

Nomar should be relatively healthy and he is a professional hitter. 20-25 HRs and 90-105 RBI if he plays close to a whole season. He'll be followed by Jeff Kent, who should be healthy after last years injuries limited his power. He could potentially be a 30 HR guy again, we shall see. Luis Gonzalez should still be able to hit a tin of doubles and drive in his share of runs.

Willson Betemit didnt do anything against lefties last yr, and he might face competition for the 3B job from hot prospect Andy LaRoche. I really really hop LaRoche wins the job either in ST or relatively soon.

Andre Eithier had a great May-August, ROY type stuff, until he hit a wall in Spetember and was benched for the playoffs. He should improve as the starting RF.

Russel Martin is on his way to being an all star catcher. He catches a good game and his hitting is great for a catcher, should improve at the plate even more.

I think the Dodgers have the best rotaion in the NL West, and I think they will absolutely pull off a trade for a HR hitter in July, and I think this is the year they not only win a playoff game, but a series as well.

and with that, they will probably now finish 4th and make me have a stroke or two by June

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:11 am 
Stone's Bitch

Hopefully they don't go on a point where they lose like 20 in a row.

Oh, and who can forget this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSNV2cQanlU

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:50 pm 
Force of Nature

:thumbsdown:

where's the video for the Kent-Drew thrown out at home play vs the mets in the playoffs? i couldn't find it on youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:03 pm 
Camden Crew

vinegar wrote:

where's the video for the Kent-Drew thrown out at home play vs the mets in the playoffs? i couldn't find it on youtube.

you know what else you wont find on youtube? video of the Giants winning a world series in the last 30 years :)

i WAS able to find the walk off grand slam Finley hit in 2004 to send the giants home again and LA to the playoffs. so that was good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:04 am 
Devil's Advocate

Hard not to like them this year. They're looking like the favorite in the West with Arizona closing fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:21 am 
Force of Nature

Koufax wrote:
vinegar wrote:

you know what else you wont find on youtube? video of the Giants winning a world series in the last 30 years :)

i WAS able to find the walk off grand slam Finley hit in 2004 to send the giants home again and LA to the playoffs. so that was good

ouch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:23 am 
Stone's Bitch

vinegar wrote:
Koufax wrote:
vinegar wrote:

ouch

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:27 am 
Force of Nature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJvDr2eCT8

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:37 am 
Stone's Bitch

vinegar wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:55 am 
Force of Nature

pearljamfan80 wrote:
vinegar wrote:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:47 pm 
Camden Crew

apparently Brett Tomko has a new delivery and has set his sights on winning the 5th starter job. the job he was signed last year to do, but failed miserably and got banished to the pen

If he wins it that would push Billingsley to middle relief this year, which would mean Bills still hasnt figured out how to throw strikes consistantly. I am rooting for Billingsley here.

Also James Loney is in early to learn how to play the OF, since Nomar is blocking him at 1B. I wish there were a way to get this kid in the lineup every day, he is some kinda hitter. Maybe 2 games a wk at first to rest Nomar and a few in the OF? we shall see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:04 pm 
Camden Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:40 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Koufax wrote:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:44 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Koufax wrote:
apparently Brett Tomko has a new delivery and has set his sights on winning the 5th starter job. the job he was signed last year to do, but failed miserably and got banished to the pen

If he wins it that would push Billingsley to middle relief this year, which would mean Bills still hasnt figured out how to throw strikes consistantly. I am rooting for Billingsley here.

Also James Loney is in early to learn how to play the OF, since Nomar is blocking him at 1B. I wish there were a way to get this kid in the lineup every day, he is some kinda hitter. Maybe 2 games a wk at first to rest Nomar and a few in the OF? we shall see

I'd like to see Loney out there, SOOOOOOO much young talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:07 pm 
Camden Crew

pearljamfan80 wrote:
Koufax wrote:

I'd like to see Loney out there, SOOOOOOO much young talent.

I love Nomar, in fact I just got a new grey road Nomar jersey, but I cannot wait to see Loney at 1B, LaRoche at 3B, and Matt Kemp in CF all full time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports