Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Penn State Scandal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 pm 
AnalLog

I think its grown to the point of needing its own thread now:

Quote:
Questions on Sandusky Are Wrapped in a 2005 Mystery
By KEN BELSON (nytimes)
Published: November 8, 2011

One of the questions surrounding the sex-abuse case against Jerry Sandusky is why a former district attorney chose not to prosecute the then-Penn State assistant coach in 1998 after reports surfaced that he had inappropriate interactions with a boy.

In 2005, divers searched the Susquehanna River in Lewisburg, Pa., for Ray Gricar, who was a Centre County prosecutor.

The answer is unknowable because of an unsolved mystery: What happened to Ray Gricar, the Centre County, Pa., district attorney?

Gricar went missing in April 2005. The murky circumstances surrounding his disappearance — an abandoned car, a laptop recovered months later in a river without a hard drive, his body was never found — have spawned Web sites, television programs and conspiracy theories. More than six years later, the police still receive tips and reports of sightings. The police in central Pennsylvania continue to investigate even though Gricar’s daughter, Lara, successfully petitioned in July to have her father declared legally dead so the family could find some closure and begin dividing his estate.

Yet as the Sandusky investigation moves forward, questions will be asked anew about why Gricar did not pursue charges against him 13 years ago. A small but strident minority believes Gricar did not want to tackle a case that involved a hometown icon. Others who knew and worked with Gricar say he was a meticulous, independent and tough-minded prosecutor who was unbowed by Penn State, its football program and political pressure in general.

“No one got a bye with Ray,” said Anthony De Boef, who worked as an assistant district attorney under Gricar for five years. “He didn’t care who you were; he had a job to do.”

De Boef said Gricar did not share any information with him about the case in 1998, which involved Sandusky allegedly showering with an 11-year-old boy. Gricar, he said, reviewed the police reports in private including, presumably, notes or recordings of two conversations that the police heard between Sandusky and the boy’s mother. But Gricar had a reputation for thoroughness, and if he thought he had enough to charge Sandusky, he would have, De Boef and other lawyers said.

Still, the circumstances surrounding Gricar’s disappearance prompt many questions.

On April 15, 2005, Gricar, then 59, took the day off. At about 11:30 a.m., he called his girlfriend, Patricia Fornicola, to say he was taking a drive on Route 192. About 12 hours later, she reported him missing.

The next day, Gricar’s Mini Cooper was found in a parking lot in Lewisburg, about 50 miles from his home in Bellefonte. Gricar’s cellphone was in the car, but not his laptop, wallet or keys, which were never recovered. Months later, the laptop was found in the Susquehanna River without its hard drive, which was discovered later. It was too damaged to yield any information. On the fourth anniversary of his disappearance, investigators revealed that a search of his home computer yielded a history of Internet searches for phrases like “how to wreck a hard drive,” according to a report at the time in The Centre Daily Times.

When Gricar disappeared helicopters, dive teams and patrol cars were deployed, and the F.B.I. was brought in. Reports of Gricar turning up in Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Maryland and other states proved to be dead ends.

So what happened? Friends and colleagues say Gricar was not the type to walk away. His bank accounts were not touched after he disappeared, he had no other sources of income and he had no major debts, said Robert Buehner Jr., a friend and the district attorney in Montour County. Though divorced twice, he seemed happy with his girlfriend and close with his daughter. Gricar had already announced that he was retiring at the end of his term.

“He was absolutely looking forward to his future,” Buehner said.

If Gricar committed suicide, Buehner added, he would have wanted the body to be found. Foul play is the next possible conclusion. By the nature of their jobs prosecuting criminals, district attorneys end up having many enemies. But no credible suspects have emerged.

“I don’t think you’ll find too many district attorneys who disappear,” said Ken Mains, a detective who works on cold cases in Lycoming County. “D. B. Cooper, Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Hoffa, until a body is found, there are going to be conspiracy theories.”

Last edited by EllisEamos on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Penn State Scandal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 pm 
AnalLog

Quote:
In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.

On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.

What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

After the news spread, Madden later explained via Twitter why he went public with the rumors.

"I normally abhor giving RUMORS credence," Madden wrote. "But whole Sandusky scandal started out as a RUMOR. It gets deeper and more disgusting all the time. One of state's top columnists investigating. That adds credence. I am NOT rumor's original source. [Why does] Sandusky deserve benefit of doubt?"

Madden also spoke more definitively on Dennis and Callahan to the cover-up efforts at the school and beyond that he expects will be made public soon.

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55. [That's] young for a coach, certainly."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:09 pm 
Unthought Known

there is a real possibility Penn State doesnt have an athletics program after this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:09 pm 
Fuck Sharks

bmacsmith wrote:
there is a real possibility Penn State doesnt have an athletics program after this.

I don't see that happening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 pm 
AnalLog

ScottZeagle wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

I don't see that happening.

that won't happen.

but the fact that they're their own city, w/ their own police force (investigators) will surely change.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 pm 
Unthought Known

its unlikely, but this thing is building. with the feds and soon the NCAA to be involved, and with the possibility that this goes deeper, there is already radio chatter about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 pm 
Got Some

bmacsmith wrote:

They will, but it's going to greatly affect the other men's/women's sports when it comes to funding. Then again, nobody at PSU really even cares about anything outside of football.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:17 pm 
AnalLog

glorifiedG in AZ wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

They will, but it's going to greatly affect the other men's/women's sports when it comes to funding. Then again, nobody at PSU really even cares about anything outside of football.

$50M a year will do that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 pm 
Force of Nature

Shut 'em down

Reissued

Oh yes, please, I truly haven't heard enough about this.

Reissued

Give me more discussion of how some ickle little rapes might ruin Jesus lord Paterno's legacy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 pm 
a joke

Mickey wrote:
Give me more discussion of how some ickle little rapes might ruin Jesus lord Paterno's legacy!

National Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:33 pm 
Reissued

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Mickey wrote:

National Tragedy

PR Crisis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:33 pm 
a joke

Jerry Sandusky is totally gay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:34 pm 
a joke

*in that he enjoys anal sex with members of the male gender. This in no way is intended to imply that homosexuals are pedophiles or monsters of any sort.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:41 pm 
Coast to Coast

Skitch Patterson wrote:
*in that he enjoys anal sex with members of the male gender. This in no way is intended to imply that homosexuals are pedophiles or monsters of any sort.

Pedophiles are pedophiles. The gender of the child is completely irrelevant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:42 pm 
Unthought Known

Mickey's avatar kinda looks like Sandusky.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 pm 
a joke

theplatypus wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

Pedophiles are pedophiles. The gender of the child is completely irrelevant.

Then why would one pick exclusively boys?

(*i actually agree)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 pm 
AnalLog

Mickey wrote:
Jesus lord Paterno's legacy!

this is really the problem. i get he's a great football coach, but why is he so worshipped by everyone in that school? it blows my mind. one of the idiots rioting last night had a sign that said "Joe Pa Is My Best Interest" what the hell does that even mean?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:45 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

warehouse wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Jesus lord Paterno's legacy!

this is really the problem. i get he's a great football coach, but why is he so worshipped by everyone in that school? it blows my mind. one of the idiots rioting last night had a sign that said "Joe Pa Is My Best Interest" what the hell does that even mean?

It means football is more important to these morons than making sure kids don't get raped.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports