Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2012 College Football Off-Season Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:11 pm 
Supersonic

Why in the world would Notre Dame join the Big XII over the Big 10? It has no natural rivalries with any of those schools, the schools are not as good academically (with the exception of Texas), the travel is more challenging, and there are more ND alumni in the midwest than the south/southwest. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Why in the world would Notre Dame join the Big XII over the Big 10? It has no natural rivalries with any of those schools, the schools are not as good academically (with the exception of Texas), the travel is more challenging, and there are more ND alumni in the midwest than the south/southwest. I don't get it.

Yeah, agreed on this.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:06 am 
Unthought Known

dkfan9 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Yeah, agreed on this.

I think everyone agrees on this.

However, for whatever reason, ND just doesn't seem to want to join the Big 10. They've been offered a few times and have turned it down every time. Apparently Texas is pushing hard for them to join the Big 12. Who knows what they'll do, but it looks like ND will have to join a conference at some point.

Considering the ACC is a sinking ship for football, it looks like ND is considering the Big 12. How accurate is this? I don't know, it's just what I'm reading.

Speaking of the ACC, I read that Texas offered to join them a few years ago, and bring Oklahoma and OK St with them. The ACC rejected that and said if it were Kansas they'd do it. If this is true, it's very ironic b/c the Big 12 looked to be dying, and the ACC really could have made a big play to get some well respected football teams. As it is now, the Big 12 seems to be coming back strong, while the ACC is getting left behind.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Unthought Known

I'm thinking people in the Big 12 are leaking a lot to make themselves look bigger honestly. The Big 12 is not exactly all that stable yet themselves.

I'm not sure of the reason ND has repeatedly spurned the Big 10 other than that they wish to not play in a football conference because of the myriad advantages they currently hold as an independant. Money is not an issue for them, and I think they like keeping an open schedule. They don't want to be in a conference at all if they can help it. So far they can. I don't believe any rumors about ND that don't involve them keeping an independant status. They Geographically fit fantastically with the Big 10, but they need not be in the conference to play thier geographic rivals. The B1G wouldn't let them join for just basketball I'd think. In other words.... yes, they really do feel like they are better than everyone else even if it has been 30 years since they've been really relevant in football.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:22 pm 
Unthought Known

The Big 12 definitely isn't stable yet. Last year, it seemed like it was on the verge of collapse with Nebraska and TAMU jumping shit.

It looks like the ACC had their chance to add some Big 12 teams, but the powers that be wanted more basketball schools, and to keep everything on the East Coast. I get it, and with Clemson being a charter member of the ACC, I really would like for things to work out with the ACC.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to happen. The ACC will still be a very relevant Basketball conference, but a recent report shows that 80% of the revenue comes from football, and a lot of that is GA Tech, VA Tech, FSU, and Clemson. Yet that money is divided evenly, so when VA Tech goes to a BCS game, the money is dived and the 11 other teams benefit too. It sounds like the football schools want more of that money going to them so they can compete better with the SEC.

I do not think the following will happen, but I wish I could make it so UGA and Notre Dame join the ACC. Those teams, along with the other football schools would be plenty, and could give the ACC a better presence in the football world.

It just seems the football ship is sailing, and the ACC isn't part of it. If this is the case, I want what is best for Clemson, not the ACC. I'd hate to see Clemson fall even further, and not ever really have a chance on the national stage. If they stay in the ACC, they could end up winning the conference year in and year out, but what would that mean? Would it matter? Would it get them into the 4 game play-off? Would they be the Boise State of the ACC?

With the Big 12 / SEC deal last Friday, all signs point to the big 4 football conferences being the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and PAC 12. The ACC got left out, but I suppose there are a few things that could happen to save them (namely Notre Dame joining). Outside of that, the ACC may just be over and done as far as football relevance is concerned. If that's the case, then I want Clemson to go to the Big 12 (SEC would be better, but I doubt the Tigers get an invite).

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:27 pm 
Unthought Known

I want Clemson in the SEC but South Carolina will never allow it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:54 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
I want Clemson in the SEC but South Carolina will never allow it.

That would be ideal, and I think the majority of Clemson fans feel the same.

I don't know why the Chickens would blackball Clemson...it would enhance the rivalry, and level the playing field. Maybe the former has something to do with it...USCe has won 3 in a row, and feel they are finally coming on as a major player in football. If Clemson joins the SEC the money and all would be a level playing field, and considering Clemson still has a 25 game advantage over the Cocks in the series, I'd imagine most SCAR fans want to continue dominating Clemson.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm 
Supersonic

Electromatic wrote:
I'm thinking people in the Big 12 are leaking a lot to make themselves look bigger honestly. The Big 12 is not exactly all that stable yet themselves.

I'm not sure of the reason ND has repeatedly spurned the Big 10 other than that they wish to not play in a football conference because of the myriad advantages they currently hold as an independant. Money is not an issue for them, and I think they like keeping an open schedule. They don't want to be in a conference at all if they can help it. So far they can. I don't believe any rumors about ND that don't involve them keeping an independant status. They Geographically fit fantastically with the Big 10, but they need not be in the conference to play thier geographic rivals. The B1G wouldn't let them join for just basketball I'd think. In other words.... yes, they really do feel like they are better than everyone else even if it has been 30 years since they've been really relevant in football.

I think ND's TV contract with NBC keeps being the stumbling block to a commitment to join the Big 10.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:52 pm 
Unthought Known

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I think ND's TV contract with NBC keeps being the stumbling block to a commitment to join the Big 10.

That's through 2013 isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:24 pm 
Supersonic

Electromatic wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I thought they just re-upped through 2016, but I definitely could be wrong.

I can't believe that NBC is still getting a good return on that investment. But hey, I guess a lot people still like to tune in to see ND lose; I know as a Michigan grad that I do.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:02 pm 
Unthought Known

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I thought they just re-upped through 2016, but I definitely could be wrong.

I can't believe that NBC is still getting a good return on that investment. But hey, I guess a lot people still like to tune in to see ND lose; I know as a Michigan grad that I do.

The New York/Boston Catholic market is still a nice money maker I think. NBC is just not very good at it. Kind of like Fox with bowl games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 pm 
Unthought Known

Oh Maryland! Gimmicks don't make for a good football team...

http://dc.sbnation.com/2012/6/1/3056813 ... wter-black

Last edited by darth_vedder on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 pm 
Unthought Known

darth_vedder wrote:

Black would be a good and appropriate color for Edsal's career.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:30 pm 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Black would be a good and appropriate color for Edsal's career.

Yeah, he's not very loved around these parts. Hopefully the black turf stuff is a rumor...I guess it might look neat initially, but grass and elements always win out in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 am 
Got Some

With the conference expansions I've thought of something that has not been brought up. From top to bottom the SEC has arguably the best co-eds when they go to crowd shots in the stands during football season. I'm not too worried about Texas A&M but can Mizzou keep pace?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:04 pm 
Unthought Known

lord vedder wrote:
With the conference expansions I've thought of something that has not been brought up. From top to bottom the SEC has arguably the best co-eds when they go to crowd shots in the stands during football season. I'm not too worried about Texas A&M but can Mizzou keep pace?

It won't be TCU good but I'm confident Mizzou can hold thier own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:08 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Electromatic wrote:
lord vedder wrote:

It won't be TCU good but I'm confident Mizzou can hold thier own.

Mizzou has some hotties. It makes my walks to work very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:43 pm 
Unthought Known

but speaking of Mizzou,

Thought you might like to know Georgia just lost moron tailback Isiah Crowell (2 felony counts and one misdemeanor) He was booked in the Athens Clarke County Jail this morning at 3:37 on gun and drug charges.

So, yeah, Georgia might be a decent team by week 10 or so if anyone is left to play.

You could build a pretty good prison team just with UGA running backs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:56 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Electromatic wrote:
but speaking of Mizzou,

Thought you might like to know Georgia just lost moron tailback Isiah Crowell (2 felony counts and one misdemeanor) He was booked in the Athens Clarke County Jail this morning at 3:37 on gun and drug charges.

So, yeah, Georgia might be a decent team by week 10 or so if anyone is left to play.

You could build a pretty good prison team just with UGA running backs.

What's the Spurrior quote about playing Georgia early in the season?

"I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended," Spurrier told ESPN.com.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 pm 
Unthought Known

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports