Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: The 2012 College Football Off-Season Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 pm 
Unthought Known

Post news / thoughts about all off-season activity here.

I'll start. After that motherfucking joke of a Orange Bowl game, Clemson has parted ways with the D Coordinator Kevin Steele.

Looks like Clemson also has for the 2nd year in a row a top 10 recruiting class coming in, and may be better if Todd Gurley signs (it's between UGA and Clemson).

What else is happening? Who got fired, how's your team's recruiting class looking? What games next season are you most looking forward to? etc...

Post subject: Re: The 2012 College Football Off-Season Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I'm pretty interested to see how this whole transition to the SEC goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:50 am 
Administrator

Where have you been recently, darth? Good to have you back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:36 am 
Unthought Known

Thanks man! Just been chilling out from internettin' lately. Had a busy Dec. at work, then went to Texas with the wife to hang with her family. After that, I went on the laziest streak of my adult life. I didn't do shit for like 2 weeks. I mean, not a damn thing, and it was awesome. Getting off my lazy, and now heavier, ass and getting back in the groove. How've you been? The Broncos...most impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:54 am 
Administrator

darth_vedder wrote:
Thanks man! Just been chilling out from internettin' lately. Had a busy Dec. at work, then went to Texas with the wife to hang with her family. After that, I went on the laziest streak of my adult life. I didn't do shit for like 2 weeks. I mean, not a damn thing, and it was awesome. Getting off my lazy, and now heavier, ass and getting back in the groove. How've you been? The Broncos...most impressive.
Good stuff, sounds like it was well deserved. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:45 pm 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:

Me too. And also, now that the Big Ten and Pac 12 have a deal to play one another, I wonder if we'll see other conferences do something like that instead of trying to build the next super conference. I like the idea of the ACC vs. SEC, Big 10 vs. Big 12, etc...I hope other conferences follow suite.

Is there any talk of any more conference expansions? I haven't heard anything for a few months, so I guess it has died down somewhat.

Oh, I like that the BCS peeps are meeting for a plus one type playoff. It's not ideal, but at least it's a step to a playoff system.

Last edited by darth_vedder on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:

You guys are set up pretty well. The east is very average right now. There's no reason you can't compete with anyone at the moment.

A&M in the west is going to have a rougher go because they are behind Arkansas and Auburn now in addition to the top two at the very least and Mississippi State is very capable as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:53 pm 
Administrator

darth_vedder wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Me too. And also, now that the Big Ten and Pac 12 have a deal to play one another, I wonder if we'll see other conferences do something like that instead of trying to build the next super conference. I like the idea of the ACC vs. SEC, Big 10 vs. Big 12, etc...I hope other conferences follow suite.

Is there any talk of any more conference expansions? I haven't heard anything for a few months, so I guess it has died down somewhat.

Oh, I like that the BCS peeps are meeting for a plus one type playoff. It's not ideal, but at least it's a step to a playoff system.
We might have the MWC/C-USA merger that would create another superconference. Navy also wants to join the Big East but has too many OOC games that they can't reschedule. I think there are still some more realignment aftershocks left.

I'm liking the plus one talk as well--it would have made the LSU/Bama rematch easier to digest. Move the NCG to mid January, add the Cotton Bowl to the BCS to keep ten teams in, sounds about right for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:36 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

We might have the MWC/C-USA merger that would create another superconference. Navy also wants to join the Big East but has too many OOC games that they can't reschedule. I think there are still some more realignment aftershocks left.

I'm liking the plus one talk as well--it would have made the LSU/Bama rematch easier to digest. Move the NCG to mid January, add the Cotton Bowl to the BCS to keep ten teams in, sounds about right for now.

Nay, skip the Heisman trophy week off ceremony crap and play games that weekend. Play all the minor bowls prior to DEC 31st. Play all the major bowls ON January 1st the holiday. Play the Plus 1 that following SATURDAY (again, because college football is a Saturday sport and that's when we're used to watching it) Done by the 1st week of January. No more 45 - 50 day layoffs between games, traditional gloriousness of Jan 1, no stupid tiny bowl garbage drawn out to January 11th. Just one continuous season, from August through the 1st week of January.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
Administrator

Electromatic wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Nay, skip the Heisman trophy week off ceremony crap and play games that weekend. Play all the minor bowls prior to DEC 31st. Play all the major bowls ON January 1st the holiday. Play the Plus 1 that following SATURDAY (again, because college football is a Saturday sport and that's when we're used to watching it) Done by the 1st week of January. No more 45 - 50 day layoffs between games, traditional gloriousness of Jan 1, no stupid tiny bowl garbage drawn out to January 11th. Just one continuous season, from August through the 1st week of January.
This all sounds great to me. I'd also add that they should wait on the conference championship games until immediately after finals week. That would help the layover problem for a few teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:57 pm 
Unthought Known

Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

This all sounds great to me. I'd also add that they should wait on the conference championship games until immediately after finals week. That would help the layover problem for a few teams.

Agree totally. I'd have no issue with that at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:24 pm 
Unthought Known

I never thought about waiting till after exams to have the conf. championships. I like that.

Good call on having major bowls on New Years Day. Who wants to watch football on Wednesday, after work, then go into work the next day? I like college ball on Saturdays, having beers, and watching with friends. No one wants to stay up till 12:30am watching a crappy game on a weeknight. I hope they fix college football soon. It's the best sport to me, but come December / January it all goes down the shitter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:28 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I have a feeling it's going to be something similar to what you're discussing.

#1 vs. #4 & #2 vs. #3 on the weekend following the Heisman weekend. This allows students to take finals and have an extra week for prep.

Whoever loses these games still plays in their respective bowl. Winners play the and 1 around the same time as the BCS Championship normally is.

Also, it sounds like a lot of folks want the bowl games to be closer to January 1st. This year was kind of goofy being on a Sunday and all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:33 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Electromatic wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

You guys are set up pretty well. The east is very average right now. There's no reason you can't compete with anyone at the moment.

A&M in the west is going to have a rougher go because they are behind Arkansas and Auburn now in addition to the top two at the very least and Mississippi State is very capable as well.

Yeah, I'm not worried especially with a 4 game non-conference schedule and only playing 2 teams from the west each year. Playing 'Bama though next year could be kind of ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:22 pm 
AnalLog

should i expect a little bit of a boost for Notre Dame's recruitment class w/ the addition of the best QB in the country?

it looks like the Armstead brothers are likely coming to town too so the D should be improving.

my remaining hope is that they land a top WR and some OL help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 pm 
Administrator

EllisEamos wrote:
should i expect a little bit of a boost for Notre Dame's recruitment class w/ the addition of the best QB in the country?

it looks like the Armstead brothers are likely coming to town too so the D should be improving.

I haven't seen you comment too much on college football. Are you an ND fan, or is there any other team you support?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm 
AnalLog

Green Habit wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

I haven't seen you comment too much on college football. Are you an ND fan, or is there any other team you support?

i'm not much of a fan of college football, as too many of the games seem meaningless, but yes, i'd call myself an irish fan, honestly, its b/c i'm irish and my family has rooted for them since my dad was a kid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm 
Administrator

EllisEamos wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

i'm not much of a fan of college football, as too many of the games seem meaningless, but yes, i'd call myself an irish fan, honestly, its b/c i'm irish and my family has rooted for them since my dad was a kid.
I wonder what BC fans think of Irish fans that live in New England. ;)

I hear you on the meaningless games, and for a while that's why I preferred the NFL to college. But I've come to enjoy both equally, and considering BSU's meteoric rise and impact on college football as a whole, being keen on it is a social boost around these parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 pm 
AnalLog

Green Habit wrote:
it really has nothing to do w/ B.C. that's why i wanted to emphasize the fact that ancestry was the connection and that religion had nothing to do w/ it.

Green Habit wrote:
I hear you on the meaningless games, and for a while that's why I preferred the NFL to college. But I've come to enjoy both equally, and considering BSU's meteoric rise and impact on college football as a whole, being keen on it is a social boost around these parts.
i watch many of games, follow many players (i'm sure you're aware of my knowledge of, and interest in, the draft), but the irish always get the majority of my interest (at least to start the season :| )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 pm 
Administrator

EllisEamos wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
it really has nothing to do w/ B.C. that's why i wanted to emphasize the fact that ancestry was the connection and that religion had nothing to do w/ it.
I thought there was a decent rivalry between BC and ND, regardless of how substantial the Catholic connection is. Not USC or Michigan important, I know, but still....?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports