Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Joe Paterno
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

thodoks wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
get off your high horse

Who are you to say who is and isnt on a high horse?

i'm thodoks, knower of all things equine-centric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 am 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
thodoks wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
get off your high horse

Who are you to say who is and isnt on a high horse?

i'm thodoks, knower of all things equine-centric

just spark'em grandma.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 am 
Got Some

A friend of mine posted this on his facebook today:

409 wins, 24 bowl victories, great coach, icon. That's how I'll remember Joe Paterno. RIP

Should I shit all over his status?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:29 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Probably, since your friend is willing to overlook child rape.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:32 am 
statistically insignificant

Guys, let's not forget today's real victims: Penn State football fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:42 am 
AnalLog

thodoks wrote:
Guys, let's not forget today's real victims: Penn State football fans.
right, penn state fans have to figuratively "take it in the ass" today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

http://smartfootball.com/defense/joe-pa ... #more-3238

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 pm 
Got Some

joe paterno was stuck in 1955.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 am 
Stone's Red Headed Stepchild Bitch

in a strange sort of way I don't understand, I can more easily begin to remember all the good things he did do now that he's gone. but still not forgetting the one horrendous mistake he made.

i'm a hole in the pipeline, i'm a road side bomb..."

:peace: Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:27 am 
Unthought Known

I feel like I have a lot more of a problem with Mike Mcqueary than Joe Paterno in this issue really. I'd like to hear what he has to say.

Ultimately though, peoples anger is misplaced. The only facts we know are that Joe was told something and he relayed that to his bosses, and no one did anything. Then Sandusky was in the presidents box as late as THIS season. Mcqueary goes from GA to quarterbacks coach for what 7 years after that? WTF guy? I'm not sure anyone of them really and truly understood what was going on. Even Mcqueary.... I mean if he knew all that has come out in the allegations I have to believe any normal person would go to the police with that.

Whatever it was that was told to people no one above Mcqueary understood the gravity of the situation. Even if they were covering it up, I mean having the guy as a guest in your box? That's just not logical if you know he's a molester.

I find it odd that Paterno gets 98% of the public blame for this when Sandusky is the criminal.

If Paterno wasn't a great guy he wouldn't have guys from 40 years ago coming out and saying all the things he did for them, even if he was petulant, arrogant and hung on too long. The guy did a ton of good in his life, he didn't molest children either.

Last edited by Electromatic on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:28 am 
In a van down by the river

but im not even angry :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 am 
Unthought Known

Peeps wrote:
but im not even angry :)

fair point.

One thing I wondered today, I mean this guy basically worked until he was dead. Kind of an old ethos but I'm fairly certain that was the plan.

I couldn't wrap my head around working in a job (save maybe musician) that I'd like to do until I was to old to function.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:38 am 
Unthought Known

Electromatic wrote:

I find it odd that Paterno gets 98% of the public blame for this when Sandusky is the criminal.

thats crazytalk. no one blames Paterno more than Sandusky. there just isnt much to debate when it comes to crazy Ole Sandypants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 am 
Unthought Known

I kind of agree with Matt Millen when he said Paterno died of a broken heart. The day he was fired I thought to myself he'd die within the year.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
Got Some

Electromatic wrote:
I feel like I have a lot more of a problem with Mike Mcqueary than Joe Paterno in this issue really. I'd like to hear what he has to say.

Ultimately though, peoples anger is misplaced. The only facts we know are that Joe was told something and he relayed that to his bosses, and no one did anything. Then Sandusky was in the presidents box as late as THIS season. Mcqueary goes from GA to quarterbacks coach for what 7 years after that? WTF guy? I'm not sure anyone of them really and truly understood what was going on. Even Mcqueary.... I mean if he knew all that has come out in the allegations I have to believe any normal person would go to the police with that.

Whatever it was that was told to people no one above Mcqueary understood the gravity of the situation. Even if they were covering it up, I mean having the guy as a guest in your box? That's just not logical if you know he's a molester.

If Paterno wasn't a great guy he wouldn't have guys from 40 years ago coming out and saying all the things he did for them, even if he was petulant, arrogant and hung on too long. The guy did a ton of good in his life, he didn't molest children either.

mcqueary stumbled upon something that was going to ruin the university for quite some time and he went up the chain of command because he didn't want to deal with being the guy who brought the university down. he dropped the whole problem at joes feet. if joe wanted to call the cops then it was at least joe paterno breaking the silence. but joe too didn't want to destroy everything so he kicked it up higher. if the ad and president want to hurt penn state then it was there choice to do so. just like mcqueary, joe didn't want to do the right thing because of it's huge impact. not that cooking the books and child rape is equal but i'm sure many accountants at enron didn't want to blow the whistle because it was such a huge company and they benefited from the perceived image. if mcqueary saw a boy on the street being molested by a stranger, i'm sure he would do the right thing, but bringing down penn state interfered with his judgement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 pm 
Unthought Known

nah wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

mcqueary stumbled upon something that was going to ruin the university for quite some time and he went up the chain of command because he didn't want to deal with being the guy who brought the university down. he dropped the whole problem at joes feet. if joe wanted to call the cops then it was at least joe paterno breaking the silence. but joe too didn't want to destroy everything so he kicked it up higher. if the ad and president want to hurt penn state then it was there choice to do so. just like mcqueary, joe didn't want to do the right thing because of it's huge impact. not that cooking the books and child rape is equal but i'm sure many accountants at enron didn't want to blow the whistle because it was such a huge company and they benefited from the perceived image. if mcqueary saw a boy on the street being molested by a stranger, i'm sure he would do the right thing, but bringing down penn state interfered with his judgement.

But that's the thing. If they take care of this immediately, at that time (1998 or 2002) nothing about Penn State is damaged. Only Jerry Sandusky. The thing that has harmed Penn State's reputation is how the individuals involved acted upon learning of Sandusky's actions. The cover up is what has harmed the university. Every single person in this whole scandal acted in a bizzarre and inexplicable manor. How can you have knowlege of these situations and the guy is STILL running around on campus like there's no issue 7 years later??? It's not just that Joe didn't follow up, no one followed up. I want to know why. "I didn't understand the situation" is not a valid explanation. Mcqueary obviously knew what happened, why didn't he do or say anything to anyone after he told Paterno and nothing happened other than his being promoted? I'd like to know this.

I want to know why the people involved put their own legacies and the reputation of the School internationally on the line for this complete scumbag rapist Jerry Sandusky.

It makes me wonder what else they were hiding really.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 pm 
Got Some

Electromatic wrote:
nah wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

But that's the thing. If they take care of this immediately, at that time (1998 or 2002) nothing about Penn State is damaged. Only Jerry Sandusky. The thing that has harmed Penn State's reputation is how the individuals involved acted upon learning of Sandusky's actions. The cover up is what has harmed the university. Every single person in this whole scandal acted in a bizzarre and inexplicable manor. How can you have knowlege of these situations and the guy is STILL running around on campus like there's no issue 7 years later??? It's not just that Joe didn't follow up, no one followed up. I want to know why. "I didn't understand the situation" is not a valid explanation. Mcqueary obviously knew what happened, why didn't he do or say anything to anyone after he told Paterno and nothing happened other than his being promoted? I'd like to know this.

mcqueary didn't have the guts. once he realized joe paterno wasn't doing anything, he buried his head in the sand too. penn state would have been damaged if it came out 15 years ago. you're right that the cover up and more people being involved looks even worse now but penn state would have had a stigma placed on it and no one there wanted that to happen. they naively thought this would go away but sandusky is a pedophile and they don't stop until they get caught.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

My biggest qualm with McQueary is if in fact he saw what he claimes, why didn't he try to stop it? I can understand fear or shock keeping you from running in and physically doing something. But why not make a loud sound and run? Just get Sandusky distracted from the kid if nothing else. Paterno was still the face of Penn State and with his pull could have done more than McQuery after the fact, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm 
In a van down by the river

for some odd reason i can see lennys reaction to a loud scary sound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:20 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Peeps wrote:
for some odd reason i can see lennys reaction to a loud scary sound

Did you hack into my photobucket account to get that gif?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports