Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 NFL Offseason
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:55 pm 
Supersonic

never forget :peace:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Alex wrote:
never forget :peace:

Really would have liked to see McBean join the Falcons, but oh well.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:02 pm 
Supersonic

really don't care about your feelings about mcbean tbh

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:07 pm 

Alex wrote:
really don't care about your feelings about mcbean tbh

Really don't care about your lack of feelings for my feelings about McBean to be real.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 pm 

This is really about McBean so stop making it about you or me, bro.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:20 pm 
Supersonic

i'm really struggling with whipping up mcbean material

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:55 pm 
AnalLog

Chad Ochocinco wrote:
Dear dad

I know it has been a rough week, so I wanted to reach out. Players dying, players suing and on top of that my peers are just going off on you in the media. It does not help that ESPN has all of a sudden become Medical TV with damn near every brain expert on the planet. This has got to be the worst week ever. Since no one is showing any support, I figured I would be the first. You are in one big ass catch 22 and quite frankly, I am not sure there is any solution. One thing I think can help is killing the NFL PR machine.

Y'all do a darn near perfect job at portraying this game as one played by heroes.
But let's be real dad. This is a nasty, dirty and violent game with consequences. Sign up or go get a regular job. Watch it or turn off the TV and go fishing with your kids. It is really that simple. I know there are probably legal and financial implications that prevent this blunt depiction, but am not sure if you have a choice. If you don't say it now, the mounting evidence being revealed publicly will say it for you very soon. In all, I love you and if anyone can lead us out of this mess, it will be you. Oh by the way, I have a deal for you. Am having a rebound year and plan to do a lot of celebrating in the end zone. Can my fine money go to supporting ex-players suffering?

Sincerely,
Chad

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 pm 
AnalLog

he just gave away the Patriots' blueprint.

F'n Chad...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
On the bright side

Totally drafting ocho cinco in fantasy next year now.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:39 pm 
AnalLog

Rebar wrote:
Totally drafting ocho cinco in fantasy next year now.

he should be the 1st WR off the board.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:50 pm 

Browns QB Brandon Weeden has a cannon of an arm
By TOM WITHERS | The Associated Press – Sat, May 12, 2012 7:02 PM EDT...

BEREA, Ohio (AP) Clay pigeons became clay particles.

In the blink of an eye, Browns rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden's powerful right arm turned the tiny targets into dust.

As he prepared for the NFL draft, Weeden recently took part in an experiment on an episode of ESPN's ''Sports Science,'' where the former Oklahoma State star and one-time minor league baseball pitcher fired footballs at clay targets traveling at 43 mph.

During one stretch he downed four out of five, blasting the soaring projectiles into smithereens.

''Pretty impressive,'' said wide receiver Josh Cooper, Weeden's college teammate who signed as an undrafted free agent with the Browns. ''It's hard to do that with a shotgun.''

Weeden's got a cannon, and his major league arm was on display again Saturday as Cleveland's rookies continued their three-day minicamp with two practices.

The 28-year-old Weeden has shown he can throw any pass - any time. With a flick of his wrist, he has effortlessly flung the ball 55 yards down the field, stood tall in the pocket and delivered 15-yard sideline patterns to receivers in stride and showed nice touch in dumping balls off to running backs.

Weeden's arm strength has been well-documented, and not just by the TV science experiment. While in college, he dislocated two of Cooper's fingers with missiles over the middle.

''It's a tight spiral. It's coming fast and it's usually right on the money,'' said Cooper, who had 161 receptions for 1,696 yards and 11 touchdowns in college. ''He can either fire it in there or put some touch on it. He's that kind of quarterback. He knows what to do with the ball.''

The Browns selected Weeden with the No. 22 overall pick in last month's NFL draft, a selection that seemed to indicate the team is moving away from incumbent starter Colt McCoy, who has had two inconsistent seasons in Cleveland. And although coach Pat Shurmur maintains competition will determine the starter, Weeden's arm strength alone would appear to give him a huge edge over McCoy.

Weeden's ball whistles through the air.

Shurmur, who has coached Donovan McNabb and Sam Bradford, said Weeden has an innate ability to sling the football.

''He is a very smooth thrower,'' he said. ''He throws the ball easy and I think a guy that can throw the ball with a smooth motion, the ball presents itself to the receivers well. That helps them be more efficient catching it. I like what I've seen from him just in terms of throwing the football, for sure.

''His touch and accuracy are all part of it. It's kind of a natural thing, that they just know to take a little off of it because a guy's 5 yards away and then whether to put it on the right or left shoulder based on where the defender is so he can turn away from it, all things that we teach and we emphasize, but some guys kind of naturally get it.''

Weeden has also shown he can execute on the move.

On one play during the morning workout, Weeden rolled to his left, and while he was on the run. leaped off one foot and still fired a perfect pass 20 yards to tight end Joseph Halahuni.

The play caught everyone's attention.

''Nice throw, Weeds,'' hollered assistant coach Nolan Cromwell.

Weeden's more than just an arm.

''He's got decent feet and he is naturally accurate,'' Shurmur said. ''That is a natural component to his game and so it's just a matter of him getting used to how we do things and I think that accuracy will show.''

Cooper joked that Weeden's athleticism is underrated.

''For how old he is,'' he said, laughing. ''He's a very mobile quarterback.''

For now, the Browns are interested in seeing Weeden as much as possible under center. In college, he lined up primarily in the shotgun. Other than a few dropped snaps, Weeden has looked very fluid while making three-, five- and seven-step dropbacks and firing the ball.

One of his primary targets the past two days has been Alabama fullback Brad Smelley, who has shown excellent hands and could be used in a variety of ways by the Browns. Smelley, too, has been impressed with Weeden's throwing ability.

''He throws a really catchable ball,'' Smelley said. ''He's got some zip on it and he knows when to throttle down a pass if it's short or coming across the middle. He puts it where it needs to be.''

Weeden said the clay pigeon challenge was more difficult than it appeared on TV.

''That was kind of a timing deal, it's like a slant,'' he said. ''You try to get the ball and the clay pigeon to meet. I am not going to lie, the first one I threw I missed by about six feet because the timing was way off. Then I got closer and I think I hit my eighth one and as they showed I hit four out of five at one point.

''It was a lot tougher than I thought going in. They only had 100 clay pigeons so I was kind of nervous I wouldn't hit one. I was kind of sweating it.''

Notes: RB Trent Richardson may be only 5-foot-9 but he cuts an imposing figure on the field. ''Wow,'' Shurmur said of the No. 3 overall pick. ''He's a very powerful man and he's powerfully built. Don't let the 5-9 fool you, he is almost 230 pounds and that is a lot of muscle packed into that body.'' ... The Browns signed eight of their 11 draft picks with Weeden, Richardson and linebacker Emmanuel Acho, a sixth-round pick, remaining unsigned. ... WR Bert Reed has had consecutive solid days of practice. Shurmur said the Florida State product, who caught 170 passes for the Seminoles, was a ''high-priority'' signing. ... Shurmur said Sunday's morning practice will focus on red-zone drills.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:50 pm 

Browns DT Phil Taylor has surgery on torn muscle
By TOM WITHERS | The Associated Press – 18 hours ago...

CLEVELAND (AP) Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor has undergone surgery to repair a torn chest muscle he injured while lifting weights.

Taylor tore his left pectoral muscle while bench pressing during the offseason conditioning program last week at the team's facility. A Browns spokesman said the surgery ''went well'' and the 335-pound Taylor is resting comfortably at the Cleveland Clinic.

The team did not provide a timetable for Taylor's return. Last week, Browns coach Pat Shurmur said Taylor would need ''months, not weeks'' to recover but would not rule him out for this season.

Injuries such as Taylor's typically take up to six months to heal. Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson missed most of two seasons with torn pectoral muscles.

If Taylor is sidelined, rookie defensive tackles John Hughes and Billy Winn could get significant playing time.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:54 pm 
Supersonic

that reminds me of: http://www.theonion.com/video/mario-williams-out-for-season-with-torn-tit,26355/

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Does Mickey Loomis realize that he and Sean Payton and that franchise in general are nothing without Drew Brees? They would be horrible.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 am 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
Does Mickey Loomis realize that he and Sean Payton and that franchise in general are nothing without Drew Brees? They would be horrible.

I have no idea what they are doing. They need Brees now more than ever and they are doing their best to totally alienate him. Fuck the cap, pay him already.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 pm 
Unthought Known

Mickey backloaded the contracts of a lot of guys. Looks like he would vastly prefer to keep Brees under the cheap tag he's under now. I just don't get the Saints. Full disclosure, I'm a Falcons fan, so there's that. But I've lived through the public ridiculousness that was Michael Vick. We took our public lumps, vast segments of the fanbase were pissed off, a few cried that Vick was unfairly treated and "everybody does it" but we moved on.

Now they are leaving a seat open for Payton like he's dead? Seriously? Do they get who they are? Payton does a nice job calling plays. Brees is a master of executing them.

ONE superbowl. ONE. A decent run no doubt since Brees got here vastly out playing his contract. Brees KEPT them in the city. Brees is responsible for a vast part of that civic pride that the city and the Gulf feel for the Saints. They would love them win or lose, but it's a lot more fun when you win obviously.

Sean Payton is a nice coach no doubt, but he has nowhere near that success without the perfect QB. Now they are bringing all these lawsuits against the league? Ok. Good luck with that. I'm sort of facinated to see what they will come up with under discovery. This is exactly the reason the NFL hasn't released any information yet. Sort of stupid way to go about things for the Saints organization, but it's been that way since this group got there I guess.

I do not understand the incredible ammount of arrogance. If they just stayed quiet took thier lumps and played hard this would be over and they would be playing football and have thier QB. Just like Spygate. The league WANTS to keep this stuff under wraps. I'm hoping that Loomis has vastly misread Brees and Brees will hold out into the season. The amount of hubris and bullheadedness is staggering.

They have a really solid team shaping up with a nice defense, without Brees, they are totally fucked.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 pm 
AnalLog

vick for brees

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:34 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:
vick for brees

:haha: They might send you Aaron Brooks though.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Unthought Known

Brees can come teach RG3 for a couple of seasons. I wouldn't mind that at all.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:49 pm 
statistically insignificant

hey ya

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports