Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 NFL Offseason
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:49 pm 
Unthought Known

I'm sorry to see this tarnish the Saints reputation.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 pm 
AnalLog

warehouse wrote:
as much as i despise the pats cheating, it starts and ends on the football field. injuring someone effects their livelyhood. i agree w/ goodell

nfp wrote:
Buffalo Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman asked on his Twitter account why Bounty-Gate with Gregg Williams and the New Orleans Saints is a big deal now.

That's because Merriman, then with the San Diego Chargers, has long claimed that then-Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher ordered a hit on him in December 2007 after he hit Titans quarterback Vince Young following a handoff.

Merriman claimed then that Titans tackle David Stewart and center Kevin Mawae intentionally retaliated against him at Fisher's urging. Fisher and the Titans players denied any intentional wrongdoing, but the NFL did hand out fines in the matter.

Merriman still sounds bitter over the incident, probably because he has not been the same player since the injury with no more than four sacks in any season since the injury.

The irony in this is that Fisher and Gregg Williams, the central figure in the New Orleans Saints Bounty-Gate, have long been close coacing friends and Williams is now Fisher's defensive coordinator in St. Louis.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 pm 
Unthought Known

no. the more i think about it the more i call bullshit on this entire controversy. paying players to deliver punishing but legal hits is called professional football.

as if a player has a super secret fatality move that he holds in reserve just for bounties. ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:59 pm 
AnalLog

bmacsmith wrote:
no. the more i think about it the more i call bullshit on this entire controversy. paying players to deliver punishing but legal hits is called professional football.

as if a player has a super secret fatality move that he holds in reserve just for bounties. ridiculous.
the point is not whether what they did on the field was legal, bmac.

the point is that the rule book specifically states that you can't pay a player (or teammate) an under the table bonus for anything. incentives are in contracts for a reason. you can't avoid the salary cap, or the IRS for that matter, regardless of whether the hit, or interception, was permissible on the field.

and the issue doesn't stop there, the coach(es) & GM knew about this AND contributed to the piggy-bank.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

the point is not whether what they did on the field was legal, bmac.

the point is that the rule book specifically states that you can't pay a player (or teammate) an under the table bonus for anything. incentives are in contracts for a reason. you can't avoid the salary cap, or the IRS for that matter, regardless of whether the hit, or interception, was permissible on the field.

and the issue doesn't stop there, the coach(es) & GM knew about this AND contributed to the piggy-bank.

ok. they broke a minor rule that couldnt have possibly altered the outcome of any games, and doubtfully caused any player to do something he wouldnt have done anyway, since fines far outweigh any monetary award. this is nothing remotely as game altering as what the Pats did.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
statistically insignificant

Hahaha Saints fans get a taste of the ridiculousness Patriots fans have to put up with over SpyGate.

Say goodbye to your next few meaningful draft picks, cheaters.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:13 pm 
AnalLog

bmacsmith wrote:
ok. they broke a minor rule that couldnt have possibly altered the outcome of any games, and doubtfully caused any player to do something he wouldnt have done anyway, since fines far outweigh any monetary award. this is nothing remotely as game altering as what the Pats did.
(1) i love how this rule is "minor" while some other rules are more important to you. how do you choose, bmac? (2) i also enjoy your certainty that paying players to deliberately intend to injure other players has no outcome on games. as you've stated, its a violent game, so w/o knowing a players intentions, how is the league suppose to police players deliberately targeting knees? only QBs get that luxury. (3) there is no measuring stick for cheating, sir. breaking the rules and getting caught looks bad no matter how you do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:14 pm 
AnalLog

thodoks wrote:
Hahaha Saints fans get a taste of the ridiculousness Patriots fans have to put up with over SpyGate.

YOUR NEW ORLEANS SAINTS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:14 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:

Spygate was only 75% ridiculous. this is closer to 90% ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 pm 

bmacsmith wrote:
thodoks wrote:

I think both of your estimates are far too low. Both border on nearly 100% ridiculous.

Either way, your organization now bares the scarlet "C."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:18 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
(1) i love how this rule is "minor" while some other rules are more important to you. how do you choose, bmac? (2) i also enjoy your certainty that paying players to deliberately intend to injure other players has no outcome on games. as you've stated, its a violent game, so w/o knowing a players intentions, how is the league suppose to police players deliberately targeting knees? only QBs get that luxury. (3) there is no measuring stick for cheating, sir. breaking the rules and getting caught looks bad no matter how you do it.

are you seriously trying to argue that all rules are created equal?

of course its minor. in what scenario does this affect anything in the game? explain how a player is better able or more willing to hurt an opposing player because a coach offered to give him a thousand dollars instead of a pat on the back or a game ball? how is he physically going to do it? do you think players hold back when they hit someone?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:23 pm 
AnalLog

so you mean to tell me that its the league's fault for having this "minor" rule? not anything the Taints did illegally?

however, if you're willing to admit that they did break a rule (cheat), no matter how minor, why would they if it didn't benefit them in any way?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:25 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
thodoks wrote:

I think both of your estimates are far too low. Both border on nearly 100% ridiculous.

Either way, your organization now bares the scarlet "C."

well time heals all wounds. i was pulling for the Pats last year for the first time ever.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:28 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
so you mean to tell me that its the league's fault for having this "minor" rule? not anything the Taints did illegally?

however, if you're willing to admit that they did break a rule (cheat), no matter how minor, why would they if it didn't benefit them in any way?

i'm not arguing they didnt break any rules. I'm arguing the net effect of this is negligable and blown way out of proportion.

edit:
EllisEamos wrote:

new sig!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 pm 
AnalLog

bmacsmith wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

i'm not arguing they didnt break any rules. I'm arguing the net effect of this is negligable and blown way out of proportion.

edit:
EllisEamos wrote:

new sig!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 pm 
Spacegirl

bmacsmith wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

edit:
EllisEamos wrote:

new sig!

:haha:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

This is pretty interesting, and if you think Freakonomics people are too full of the coolness of their own stats (and interpretations), you'll appreciate it

http://sabermetricresearch.blogspot.com ... etter.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:25 pm 
Got Some

EllisEamos wrote:

You're misusing cheat here. The Saints might have been cheating the rules about compensation, but they weren't cheating in a way that gave them a competitive advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm 
Administrator

My stance on the bounties, which I don't think I've seen expressed anywhere yet, is that I feel that Gregg Williams is a coward. The way to run a defense most effectively, which also happens to be the safer way, is to insist that your players make form tackles on every single play. Keep your head up, wrap up the body, and then drive his ass to the ground. If they don't consistently do this, make them sit out plays or do extra work in practice. Williams seemed to be worried that his players couldn't or wouldn't be form tacklers--worried enough that he had to essentially bribe his players to weaken the opposition by encouraging injuries, instead of strengthening his own defenders. Not only is there no place for that in the NFL on an ethical basis, I'm not sure if it's a good policy to have on a practical basis.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:07 pm 

mray10 wrote:
they weren't cheating in a way that gave them a competitive advantage.

First, they weren't cheating. Second, the system absolutely gave them a competitive advantage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports