Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Re: Best Players to Play for One Team - Any Sport
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 pm 
Administrator

Skitch Patterson wrote:
at what point in sports do we hold the lack of durability against great players?
Spoiler: show
may disagree at the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
AnalLog

Peeps wrote:
and its not like i am saying stevie or marty arent great players

but they are second tier when it comes to orr, gretz and mario

broduer is arguable the greatest goalie of all time, he's not second tier to anyone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
AnalLog

Peeps wrote:
and its not like i am saying stevie or marty arent great players

but they are second tier when it comes to orr, gretz and mario

broduer is arguable the greatest goalie of all time, he's not second tier to anyone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:43 pm 
AnalLog

PhilPritchard wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:
Brodeur has won two postseason series since the retirement of Scott Stevens so I'm going to have to disagree here.

They basically replaced Niedermayer and Stevens's minutes with Martin and Lukowich after the lockout. Of course the team isn't going to be as successful. He still led the NHL in wins three times after losing two Hall Of Fame defensemen.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:43 pm 
a joke

Green Habit wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
at what point in sports do we hold the lack of durability against great players?
may disagree at the answer.

Seems to agree.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:56 am 
In a van down by the river

love the more points argument that is being made...

lets say mario isnt decimated by injury. figure he scored at a clip of 1.85 pts per game. even taking into account a decline, lets move that down to 1.3 pts per game. steve played 688 more games than mario. that still would put mario around 2700 pts

so yea, good luck with saying steve is better cause he put up bigger numbers. a whopping 32 more points in more than 688 games :)

injuries and durability have no bearing on this thread. its titled best player to play for one team.

mario wins

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:37 pm 
Supersonic

Skitch Patterson wrote:
It's the Sandy Koufax discussion.

I agree Mario is one of the top 2 or 3 most talented players of all time, especially offensively (I will not, however, classify him as a good defensive player). His amazing offensive abilities more than make up for his defense. But guys like Yzerman and Sakic had value to their teams in 400-600 more games then Mario did to his team. And I'm not talking accumulator guys like Ronnie Francis or Mark Recchi- I'm talking about players that were at one point or another in that same "Top 3-5 players in the game" discussion.

Same debate with Orr and Lidstrom really. by the time it's all said and done, Lidstrom will have played about a thousand more games than Orr. THOUSAND. Orr was absolutely dominant for a short period, where as guys like Lidstrom, and Bourque were important fixtures and provided value to their teams for nearly 20 years. Which would you say is the better player? The guy that absolutely awesome for 5 years? Or the guy that is one of the best in the league for 20?

I've always had kind of a soft spot for high-peak guys who's careers were derailed by injuries like Orr, Neely, Koufax, etc. Not sure why. I think lack of durability comes into play with most players, but there's a certain level where it almost doesn't matter any more. Lemieux's production makes up for any difference in games played between him and guys like Yzerman and Sakic. Overall, they're stats are pretty close... but Lemieux was just so unbelievably dominant.

If you have the option of Lemieux for 60-65 games a season for 15 years or Yzerman/Sakic for 80 games a season for 20 years, who do you take?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm 
Supersonic

PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

I agree Mario is one of the top 2 or 3 most talented players of all time, especially offensively (I will not, however, classify him as a good defensive player). His amazing offensive abilities more than make up for his defense. But guys like Yzerman and Sakic had value to their teams in 400-600 more games then Mario did to his team. And I'm not talking accumulator guys like Ronnie Francis or Mark Recchi- I'm talking about players that were at one point or another in that same "Top 3-5 players in the game" discussion.

Same debate with Orr and Lidstrom really. by the time it's all said and done, Lidstrom will have played about a thousand more games than Orr. THOUSAND. Orr was absolutely dominant for a short period, where as guys like Lidstrom, and Bourque were important fixtures and provided value to their teams for nearly 20 years. Which would you say is the better player? The guy that absolutely awesome for 5 years? Or the guy that is one of the best in the league for 20?

I've always had kind of a soft spot for high-peak guys who's careers were derailed by injuries like Orr, Neely, Koufax, etc. Not sure why. I think lack of durability comes into play with most players, but there's a certain level where it almost doesn't matter any more. Lemieux's production makes up for any difference in games played between him and guys like Yzerman and Sakic. Overall, they're stats are pretty close... but Lemieux was just so unbelievably dominant.

Will you be in favor of Sidney Crosby being considered a HOFer after he announces his retirement this summer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:38 pm 
AnalLog

PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

If you have the option of Lemieux for 60-65 games a season for 15 years or Yzerman/Sakic for 80 games a season for 20 years, who do you take?

marty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 pm 
In a van down by the river

Chris_H_2 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

Will you be in favor of Sidney Crosby being considered a HOFer after he announces his retirement this summer?

i thought you were a lawyer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:00 pm 
Supersonic

Peeps wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

i thought you were a lawyer?

Just on some days . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:26 pm 
Supersonic

Chris_H_2 wrote:

I pretty much expected to answer "No" pretty easily, but I'm actually not too sure. If it happened, Cam Neely would probably be the best comparison and Crosby has him beat in almost every individual and team category...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 am 
Unthought Known

PhilPritchard wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I pretty much expected to answer "No" pretty easily, but I'm actually not too sure. If it happened, Cam Neely would probably be the best comparison and Crosby has him beat in almost every individual and team category...

Yeah but Neely played 13 seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35 am 
Supersonic

mick7184 wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Yeah but Neely played 13 seasons.

And in his last five seasons he averaged 32 games a year...

As good as Neely was, Crosby has been way more dominant and has put up more impressive offensive numbers in an era where offense is significantly depressed. Crosby's also 5th all-time in points per game.

I'm not arguing against Neely at all, but even though Crosby's had only seven seasons (really six, but Neely really only has 11 :lol: ) they've been possibly the most dominant first seven seasons in the NHL that anyone has ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:29 am 
Unthought Known

PhilPritchard wrote:
even though Crosby's had only seven seasons (really six, but Neely really only has 11 :lol: ) they've been possibly the most dominant first seven seasons in the NHL that anyone has ever had.

Ok, what?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 pm 
Supersonic

Echoes wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
even though Crosby's had only seven seasons (really six, but Neely really only has 11 :lol: ) they've been possibly the most dominant first seven seasons in the NHL that anyone has ever had.

Ok, what?

What what? I meant to say "among" the most dominant... I know it's not on Gretzky/Lemieux levels, but I'm not sure anyone else has ever dominated the league the way he has before turning 24.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports