Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: Re: ITT: We Discuss Sport-on-Sport Crime
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:31 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Anyway, this might be against some pay-for-performance rules (even excluding the injury awards). But I'm in now way buying Goodell's claim that this impinges on competitive integrity. It is no different than giving helmet stickers, except in reward level. It didn't come out of ownership pockets, nor did it seem to be encouraged by ownership, so it's not in violation of cap restrictions any more than advertising bucks, which are rewarded for individual play.

I'm not defending the injury bets, but I'm pretty okay with the rest of it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:38 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
No one's saying a league isn't going to time offseason press announcements to perkolate interest in the offseason, but that can be done completely independently of what the other major leagues are doing.

Sure, but in battles like that for the future fanhood level of the "solid football but marginal baseball fan" inter-sport competition might come into play. Maintaining and expanding market share has been a good strategy for the NFL so far, I could see them doing their best to ensure small decisions meld with big picture strategy. I have a hunch that people only have so much time/attention for sports, so at some level shifts in relative fanhood levels affect absolute fanhood levels.

Spoiler: show
Irrelevant, but I'm sharing: Typing this post, I realized I'm stealing this analysis from something I'd write as a piece of foreign policy analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:21 am 
AnalLog

my original intent for making this thread was that i feel this happens (concertedly and/or accidentally) all the time.

Bountygate just happen to make me think of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:07 pm 
AnalLog

this could be coincidence, although the possibility exists that each league office wanted to pilfer the other, but why have both of the New York/Boston match-ups today at (roughly) the same time?

IT'S A CRIME!! I TELL YOU!!

overlooking the fact that both games are occurring when most of the top 25 NCAA teams are playing today, would it not benefit both professional leagues to spread these games out?

granted pushing the rangers/Bs game back to 3 would compete w/ the Islanders/Devils game in NY/NJ, but pushing it to 7 would not have a regional conflict (and flipping the Caps/Flyers to the 12:30 slot would still give NBCSports two games today).

for the NBA, a 6 o'clock game for the knicks/Cs would compete w/ the nets/bobcats game in the NY/NJ region, AND it would also place ABC in some intra-sport/intra-network competition w/ ESPN (chicago/philly match-up @ 7) and the YESnetwork in the aforementioned NY/NJ region. which makes me think that moving the NHL games makes the most sense (since the flyers too are currently directly competing w/ the sixers).

to reiterate, i don't believe in this instance that anything was done purposefully, however i think these leagues (NBA/NHL) could do more to benefit each other considering their entire seasons' overlap. The NFL's flex schedule was a tremendous development and should be mimicked by the other leagues (amongst each other).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:13 pm 
a joke

EllisEamos wrote:
this could be coincidence, although the possibility exists that each league office wanted to pilfer the other, but why have both of the New York/Boston match-ups today at (roughly) the same time?

overlooking the fact that both games are occurring when most of the top 25 NCAA teams are playing today, would it not benefit both professional leagues to spread these games out?

granted pushing the rangers/Bs game back to 3 would compete w/ the Islanders/Devils game in NY/NJ, but pushing it to 7 would not have a regional conflict (and flipping the Caps/Flyers to the 12:30 slot would still give NBCSports two games today).

for the NBA, a 6 o'clock game for the knicks/Cs would compete w/ the nets/bobcats game in the NY/NJ region, AND it would also place ABC in some intra-sport/intra-network competition w/ ESPN (chicago/philly match-up @ 7) and the YESnetwork in the aforementioned NY/NJ region. which makes me think that moving the NHL games makes the most sense (since the flyers too are currently directly competing w/ the sixers).

to reiterate, i don't believe in this instance that anything was done purposefully, however i think these leagues (NBA/NHL) could do more to benefit each other considering their entire seasons' overlap. The NFL's flex schedule was a tremendous development and should be mimicked by the other leagues (amongst each other).

Flex scheduling is much harder to pull off in seasons with 80some games, where teams likely will have to play the next night. especially in arenas that have a lot more different uses than NFL stadiums.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 pm 
AnalLog

Skitch Patterson wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

Flex scheduling is much harder to pull off in seasons with 80some games, where teams likely will have to play the next night. especially in arenas that have a lot more different uses than NFL stadiums.
how could they EVER figure it out.

i'm not dismissing what you're saying (entirely), b/c you're right, the NBA & NHL have a lot more to worry about, however none of the four NHL teams I've mentioned "flexing" up-thread have games tomorrow, and the two road teams today have roadies tuesday (the rangers are in NJ tuesday, but that's not a real road game)... my point in mentioning this, is that a couple hour shift in the schedules of Boston & Philly is not going to drastically alter their travel plans anyway (Philly would be out of Washington ~6 hours earlier and Boston would be out of NY ~6 hours later).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:40 pm 
a joke

EllisEamos wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:

how could they EVER figure it out.

i'm not dismissing what you're saying (entirely), b/c you're right, the NBA & NHL have a lot more to worry about, however none of the four NHL teams I've mentioned "flexing" up-thread have games tomorrow, and the two road teams today have roadies tuesday (the rangers are in NJ tuesday, but that's not a real road game)... my point in mentioning this, is that a couple hour shift in the schedules of Boston & Philly is not going to drastically alter their travel plans anyway (Philly would be out of Washington ~6 hours earlier and Boston would be out of NY ~6 hours later).

I'm sure the players union would love it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:48 pm 
Spacegirl

wtf

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports