Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: ITT: We Discuss Sport-on-Sport Crime
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 pm 
AnalLog

I was just thinking about how the NFL completely ruined MLB's Spring Training Opening weekend. It got me thinking about how this is not the first (or last) time leagues have done this type of thing.

Post subject: Re: ITT: We Discuss Sport-on-Sport Crime
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 pm 
AnalLog

not to mention MLB's bottom-paged "New Playoff Format" news. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

What did the nfl do?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
What did the nfl do?
they released this story about the Saints, today. Not yesterday, not tomorrow when baseball will be the focal point. today.

today.
today.
today.
today.
today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 pm 
a joke

EllisEamos wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
What did the nfl do?
they released this story about the Saints, today. Not yesterday, not tomorrow when baseball will be the focal point. today.

today.
today.
today.
today.
today.

meh. I don't think it was intentional. Not to mention, its not like any of the baseball news is really anything shocking. MLB teams trotting out Non roster invitees against college teams and the worst kept secret in all of sports is hardly exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:52 pm 
AnalLog

are y'all willing to admit that the different leagues do, intentionally, seek to steal headlines from their competition?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 pm 
a joke

EllisEamos wrote:
are y'all willing to admit that the different leagues do, intentionally, seek to steal headlines from their competition?

I'd say it's highly unlikely in nearly all cases. You end up just splitting your own audience. If you wait a day you get center stage. The NFL and MLB are totally different times of year for the most part. And the NHL and NBA are largely irrelevant at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:03 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Yeah, if anything MLB has been doing more to make sure their schedules don't clash with the NFL. Why would they want to split their audiences?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:19 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah, if anything MLB has been doing more to make sure their schedules don't clash with the NFL. Why would they want to split their audiences?
my point has been that it benefits the NFL to send out this release today and generate discussion about the NFL today and over the weekend (when none would exist otherwise). It hurts MLB today specifically as they were officially announcing their new playoff format, not to mention the NFL will get more coverage this weekend, when MLB would likely look to ramp things up w/ Spring Training starting up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

But if you're going to suggest the NFL is motivated to schedule their releases around when it would hurt other sports, you're first going to have to demonstrate how hurting MLB helps the NFL. I don't see how it does so I dismiss that as potential motivation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:44 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
But if you're going to suggest the NFL is motivated to schedule their releases around when it would hurt other sports, you're first going to have to demonstrate how hurting MLB helps the NFL. I don't see how it does so I dismiss that as potential motivation.

EllisEamos wrote:
it benefits the NFL to send out this release today and generate discussion about the NFL today and over the weekend (when none would exist otherwise).
ESPN has contracts w/ both leagues, but if a story breaks w/ the sport that has the larger fanbase (even though it's technically their offseason) ESPN will give it more air time.

Look at the NBA's coverage on ESPN over the NHL's (who do not have a contract for games on the FLN (four letter network)). I find it hard to believe that its representational of the two sports' fanbases, however, if the FLN carried NHL games, like they did a decade ago, you'd see much more discussion of hockey.

Also, considering each league has their own 24-hour channels now, consider the benefit of getting people to keep the dial on NFL Network rather than changing over to the MLB Network to see their team's season starting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

EllisEamos wrote:
considering each league has their own 24-hour channels now, consider the benefit of getting people to keep the dial on NFL Network rather than changing over to the MLB Network to see their team's season starting.

Sure, they're going to draw viewers away from MLB who are more interested in the NFL, but what about the people that choose to stay with MLB despite the announcement? Wouldn't it make more sense to release the news on a day nothing is happening when they won't have to worry about the fan that still decides to choose MLB?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 pm 
AnalLog

especially considering that the NFL's St. Louis team now employs the coach that is out-in-front of this story, and said city is the home of the reigning World Series Champions.

the "hurt" for all of this is money/revenue. and the NFL is continuing to "win" this competition.

cutuphalfdead wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
considering each league has their own 24-hour channels now, consider the benefit of getting people to keep the dial on NFL Network rather than changing over to the MLB Network to see their team's season starting.

Sure, they're going to draw viewers away from MLB who are more interested in the NFL, but what about the people that choose to stay with MLB despite the announcement? Wouldn't it make more sense to release the news on a day nothing is happening when they won't have to worry about the fan that still decides to choose MLB?
the point is that the NFL is making fans choose, when up until this story broke, there was no thought involved. there's a lull right now between the NFL Combine and the NFL Draft. in order to maintain #1 status, the NFL needed to do something to minimize any gains MLB could have made this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

But we also see leagues doing the exact opposite of this to better affect. MLB last year decided to schedule the start of playoff rounds to not have to compete with NFL games, and it paid off. I don't see the relationship between the leagues to be one where one has to lose in order for the other to win. It makes more sense if they both win on different days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 pm 
AnalLog

"gains" meaning casual fans of either sport.

die-hards will always be die-hards. like my buddy who has red sox season tickets and tried to talk about the sox during the Bruins Stanley Cup Finals series.

cutuphalfdead wrote:
But we also see leagues doing the exact opposite of this to better affect. MLB last year decided to schedule the start of playoff rounds to not have to compete with NFL games, and it paid off. I don't see the relationship between the leagues to be one where one has to lose in order for the other to win. It makes more sense if they both win on different days.
you're making my point.

the NFL doesn't want to work around anybody else. all the other leagues have to work around them.

1) your example above
2) NHL not having games on sundays for most of the year
3) NBA tapping the Asian market.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 pm 
a joke

ellis, you're being pretty retarded. If anything the NFL wants to downplay this story, so maybe they used MLB as a shield a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 pm 
AnalLog

Skitch Patterson wrote:
ellis, you're being pretty retarded. If anything the NFL wants to downplay this story, so maybe they used MLB as a shield a bit.
i actually resent that (b/c its from you, skitch).

i partly agree w/ you, in that they wanted to minimize the story itself, but i'm sticking to my opinion that the NFL wanted to keep themselves in the discussion.

all the leagues do this. NBA all-star weekend, what does the NHL do? ramp up their trade deadline rumors/talk. MLB is starting up, what does the NBA do? ramp up their own trade deadline rumors/talk. that's just the past two weeks. they all want to maintain a certain "presence" in the papers/ interweb.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 pm 
a joke

EllisEamos wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
i actually resent that (b/c its from you, skitch).

i partly agree w/ you, in that they wanted to minimize the story itself, but i'm sticking to my opinion that the NFL wanted to keep themselves in the discussion.

all the leagues do this. NBA all-star weekend, what does the NHL do? ramp up their trade deadline rumors/talk. MLB is starting up, what does the NBA do? ramp up their own trade deadline rumors/talk. that's just the past two weeks. they all want to maintain a certain "presence" in the papers/ interweb.

The NFL would much rather be out of the discussion entirely on this one. If Goodell doesn't play this one JUST RIGHT, he is going to look like a fool to the players, fans and other owners. High profile coaches, some with other organizations, high profile successful teams, actual injuries that resulted... He would have just as soon never known about this himself, much less use it to "keep themselves in a discussion".

I'm sure there are very minor things done to keep names in the paper- but not at the expense of (or even with consideration of) any of the other leagues. OMG DAYTONA WAS UP AGAINST A BOBCATS GAME.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:24 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

i buy that it could and might happen because it makes sense to keep your name in the news in the offseason, as that builds anticipation (but tacitly, so people aren't uninterested by season), it turns people to your network, it boosts sales of football related DVDs and the like for fans who miss the season, it might also boost merch sales just because the game is in the back of people's minds more often.

but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

although, goodell could push the news to gather momentum for more viewer-friendly rules under the guise of safety. but i'm not really buying that either, and I'm especially not ready to make a topic about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:25 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

No one's saying a league isn't going to time offseason press announcements to perkolate interest in the offseason, but that can be done completely independently of what the other major leagues are doing.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports