Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
a joke
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:08 am
Posts: 22978
Gender: Male
With free agency, trades, etc. There always seems to be some guys that are destined to end up on certain teams.
Guys that are rumored during different trade deadlines, or have a tie to your franchise in some way. Some end up with your team, others don't.. but what guys always seemed to come up in rumors involving your team? Im watching an NHL Network Vintage game and they brought up a guy that made me think about it. A lot of them are Red Wings.

Red Wings: Bill Ranford- Rumored in an early 90's deal along with Dave Manson to be coming to the Wings that never happened, and from that point his name always got mentioned. He ended up playing like a half dozen games with the Wings at the end of his career. Manson also fell into this category, but never was a red wing.

Alexander Mogilny- When Federov was here, they loved to talk about the line on the Russian team of Federov/Bure/Mogilny. Always was rumored he would get here, and never did.

Uwe Krupp- Wings fans always wanted a big physical defenseman, and they always seemed to be mentioned with Krupp, until they actually signed him and he hurt his back and never was a factor.

Pistons: Rasheed Wallace: Started getting mentioned when they had Stackhouse, as some sort of UNC reunion (pearljamminagain rooting for the pistons?!). Worked out very well when they ended up getting him, although Stackhouse was long gone.

Kevin Garnett- Always was the name that was rumored to be on the way to the Pistons, ended up in Boston and never will be a piston. Everyone assumed the Pistons were a superstar away. Oddly enough, he stopped getting mentioned as much once the Pistons got rasheed.

Lions: Champ Bailey. I think it had a lot to do with the fact his availablity coincided with when his brother Boss Bailey was poised to be a star LB before his knee gave up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Posts: 25452
Location: Under my wing like Sanford & Son
Gender: Male
It seems like the Cowboys like to draft players from OU/OSU lately so I basically assume that one will wind up on the team come draft time.

_________________
Now that god no longer exists, the desire for another world still remains.

Always do the right thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Alexander Mogilny- When Federov was here, they loved to talk about the line on the Russian team of Federov/Bure/Mogilny. Always was rumored he would get here, and never did.


That would be pretty close to the greatest line I've ever seen.

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
a joke
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:08 am
Posts: 22978
Gender: Male
PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Alexander Mogilny- When Federov was here, they loved to talk about the line on the Russian team of Federov/Bure/Mogilny. Always was rumored he would get here, and never did.


That would be pretty close to the greatest line I've ever seen.



At least the fastest


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
man i never saw esera tuaolo playing for any team other than mine

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
a joke
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:08 am
Posts: 22978
Gender: Male


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
Skitch Patterson wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Alexander Mogilny- When Federov was here, they loved to talk about the line on the Russian team of Federov/Bure/Mogilny. Always was rumored he would get here, and never did.


That would be pretty close to the greatest line I've ever seen.



At least the fastest


And most frightening to defend against.

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:36 pm
Posts: 25824
Location: south jersey
Skitch Patterson wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Alexander Mogilny- When Federov was here, they loved to talk about the line on the Russian team of Federov/Bure/Mogilny. Always was rumored he would get here, and never did.


That would be pretty close to the greatest line I've ever seen.



At least the fastest

most russian

flyers: all the goons and whoever the best UFA forward is at the time.
sixers: paul pierce. its probably just jealousy since he plays in boston, but there's always been rumors about him coming here.
phillies: roy halladay. luckily this come happened.
eagles: peyton manning. seriously.

_________________
Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 am
Posts: 6483
Location: Vancouver
Not my team, but every big name player available to the Leafs.

I always figured Scott Niedermayer would be a Canuck or a Flame when he moved on from the Devils.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Lol @opinions.


SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
There were a number of Boston guys I always thought would be Bruins at some point, Roenick, Modano, and Tkachuk come to mind first.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
warehouse wrote:
sixers: paul pierce. its probably just jealousy since he plays in boston, but there's always been rumors about him coming here.


there have?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 am
Posts: 6483
Location: Vancouver
mick7184 wrote:
There were a number of Boston guys I always thought would be Bruins at some point, Roenick, Modano, and Tkachuk come to mind first.


Modano is from Detroit, hence signing with the Red Wings.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Lol @opinions.


SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
paaks wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
There were a number of Boston guys I always thought would be Bruins at some point, Roenick, Modano, and Tkachuk come to mind first.


Modano is from Detroit, hence signing with the Red Wings.


I was thinking of someone else, I dont know why I said Modano.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 am
Posts: 6483
Location: Vancouver
mick7184 wrote:
paaks wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
There were a number of Boston guys I always thought would be Bruins at some point, Roenick, Modano, and Tkachuk come to mind first.


Modano is from Detroit, hence signing with the Red Wings.


I was thinking of someone else, I dont know why I said Modano.


Amonte?

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Lol @opinions.


SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
paaks wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
paaks wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
There were a number of Boston guys I always thought would be Bruins at some point, Roenick, Modano, and Tkachuk come to mind first.


Modano is from Detroit, hence signing with the Red Wings.


I was thinking of someone else, I dont know why I said Modano.


Amonte?


Maybe, I'm totally blanking on it now. It might be someone that went to BC or BU but wasnt actually from here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:36 pm
Posts: 25824
Location: south jersey
mick7184 wrote:
warehouse wrote:
sixers: paul pierce. its probably just jealousy since he plays in boston, but there's always been rumors about him coming here.


there have?

yeah, from this way. could you imagine if we had pierce and AI?

at this point, who needs paul pierce when you have evan turner lol

_________________
Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
Red Sox: Adrian Gonzalez

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
paaks wrote:
Not my team, but every big name player available to the Leafs.


Are you saying you always assume the Leafs will get the big name player, or that other people think that?

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 am
Posts: 6483
Location: Vancouver
PhilPritchard wrote:
paaks wrote:
Not my team, but every big name player available to the Leafs.


Are you saying you always assume the Leafs will get the big name player, or that other people think that?


Both.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Lol @opinions.


SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guys you always assumed would end up on your team
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
I figured Frank Wren was looking to bring Mendoza out of retirement when he chose to stand pat with this lineup.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 3:20 pm