Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
http://queenscourier.com/2012/mets-open ... fore-game/

Mets can't sell 41000 seats for home opener.

The Islanders have if not the worst close to the worst attendance in the NHL.

The Jets hired Tim Tebow (if you say for any other reason than attention and ticket sales, you're wrong)


ESPN would be all over this if it were Atlanta or Tampa or Miami etc etc.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Last edited by Electromatic on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
Electromatic wrote:
The Islanders have if not the worst close to the worst attendance in the NFL.


Can you imagine how much time Rick DiPietro would spend on the IR if he were a quarterback?

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:30 am
Posts: 885
Location: Redding, CA
Electromatic wrote:
The Islanders have if not the worst close to the worst attendance in the NFL.


I caught some of the Bruins/Islanders game on Saturday and from the crowd it seemed like a Boston home game.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
PhilPritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
The Islanders have if not the worst close to the worst attendance in the NFL.


Can you imagine how much time Rick DiPietro would spend on the IR if he were a quarterback?



Ha, my bad, but yeah absolutely.

If he were a backup QB more people would apparently care what he had to say as well.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
Electromatic wrote:
PhilPritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
The Islanders have if not the worst close to the worst attendance in the NFL.


Can you imagine how much time Rick DiPietro would spend on the IR if he were a quarterback?



Ha, my bad, but yeah absolutely.

If he were a backup QB more people would apparently care what he had to say as well.


I don't know if he's religious enough.

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 pm 
Offline
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:43 pm
Posts: 2398
Oh come on.

A lot of Mets fans are bitter, with the whole Madoff deal the Mets are acting like a small market team and the fans are letting them know what they think of that. If the Wilpons sold the team over the winter and the new owners attempted to field a competive team this wouldn't have happened.

The Teabow move speaks more to the Jets ownership/management need for attention more than anything. The Jets sell out every game with or without Teebow.

What the hell is an Islander? Seriously though I don't know anything about hockey but isn't their owner talking about moving unless the taxpayers build him a new arena or some shit? Isn't there also two other hockey teams in NY?

Personally even though the Mets will likely suck this year, I'm still going tomorrow. Can't wait to be out in the sun drinking some beer!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:32 pm 
Offline
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:43 pm
Posts: 2398
Electromatic wrote:
ESPN would be all over this if it were Atlanta or Tampa or Miami etc etc.


I also don't get the obsession people on this board have with ESPN coverage. Why are you watching a national station for regional sports coverage? I almost never watch ESPN. I root for NY teams so I watch MSG and SNY.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 am
Posts: 12700
Location: ...a town in north Ontario...
pjam81373 wrote:
What the hell is an Islander? Seriously though I don't know anything about hockey but isn't their owner talking about moving unless the taxpayers build him a new arena or some shit? Isn't there also two other hockey teams in NY?


The Islanders have sucked for a long time now and their owner is a complete idiot who's run the team into the ground by making horrible decisions ever since he took over. I kinda don't blame fans for not wanting to see them play. They have one of the most exciting young players in the league but their player development has left them unable to build around him the last couple years.

_________________
I think we relinquished enough... and it's still dark enough... and it goes on and on and on...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
pjam81373 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
ESPN would be all over this if it were Atlanta or Tampa or Miami etc etc.


I also don't get the obsession people on this board have with ESPN coverage. Why are you watching a national station for regional sports coverage? I almost never watch ESPN. I root for NY teams so I watch MSG and SNY.



Is Chris Cotter still at SNY?

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 8393
It's the Mets, Jets, and Islanders, not the Yankees, Giants, or Rangers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Posts: 25452
Location: Under my wing like Sanford & Son
Gender: Male
The Tebow trade definitely struck me as an attention/ticket grab, but more because the Giants just won the SB than anything else. Jets still seem like a pretty popular franchise.

_________________
Now that god no longer exists, the desire for another world still remains.

Always do the right thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Interweb Celebrity
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:47 am
Posts: 46000
Location: Reasonville
The Islanders have been awful for years and play in a decrepit stadium that's not friendly to mass transit and a good hour drive outside the city. Not entirely fair to include them here as evidence of why NY is a bad sports town.

The Mets are still reeling from the Madoff scheme and have historically had up-and-down attendance records based on their success. They play out in Queens and have always been second fiddle to the Yanks.

On the other hand, the Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, and Yankees have all been successful/consistently drawn big crowds.

So that makes one bad franchise, one middle-of-the-road franchise, and five of the most famous/successful/richest franchises in their respective sports.

Right.

_________________
No matter how dark the storm gets overhead
They say someone's watching from the calm at the edge
What about us when we're down here in it?
We gotta watch our backs


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 am 
Offline
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:09 pm
Posts: 9363
Location: Manhattan Beach California
corduroy_blazer wrote:
The Islanders have been awful for years and play in a decrepit stadium that's not friendly to mass transit and a good hour drive outside the city. Not entirely fair to include them here as evidence of why NY is a bad sports town.

The Mets are still reeling from the Madoff scheme and have historically had up-and-down attendance records based on their success. They play out in Queens and have always been second fiddle to the Yanks.

On the other hand, the Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, and Yankees have all been successful/consistently drawn big crowds.

So that makes one bad franchise, one middle-of-the-road franchise, and five of the most famous/successful/richest franchises in their respective sports.

Right.


but most of the fans ARE dicks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Interweb Celebrity
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:47 am
Posts: 46000
Location: Reasonville
Doug RR wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
The Islanders have been awful for years and play in a decrepit stadium that's not friendly to mass transit and a good hour drive outside the city. Not entirely fair to include them here as evidence of why NY is a bad sports town.

The Mets are still reeling from the Madoff scheme and have historically had up-and-down attendance records based on their success. They play out in Queens and have always been second fiddle to the Yanks.

On the other hand, the Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, and Yankees have all been successful/consistently drawn big crowds.

So that makes one bad franchise, one middle-of-the-road franchise, and five of the most famous/successful/richest franchises in their respective sports.

Right.


but most Mets and Jets fans ARE dicks


Fixed.

_________________
No matter how dark the storm gets overhead
They say someone's watching from the calm at the edge
What about us when we're down here in it?
We gotta watch our backs


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Reissued
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:41 pm
Posts: 23014
Location: NOT FLO-RIDIN
Gender: Male
corduroy_blazer wrote:
The Islanders have been awful for years and play in a decrepit stadium that's not friendly to mass transit and a good hour drive outside the city. Not entirely fair to include them here as evidence of why NY is a bad sports town.

The Mets are still reeling from the Madoff scheme and have historically had up-and-down attendance records based on their success. They play out in Queens and have always been second fiddle to the Yanks.

On the other hand, the Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, and Yankees have all been successful/consistently drawn big crowds.

So that makes one bad franchise, one middle-of-the-road franchise, and five of the most famous/successful/richest franchises in their respective sports.

Right.


I think the original point is this:

Electromatic wrote:
ESPN would be all over this if it were Atlanta or Tampa or Miami etc etc.


And that, like New York, or like any city, there are sometimes variables that account for bad attendance. And like this thread, any article about how Tampa is a bad sports city, or Seattle is a bad sports city, or whatever, is just uninformed and reductive. It doesn't just come from ESPN. It comes from a whole host of (stupid) sources, including people on this board. How many times have I seen this:

"The Rays aren't selling out their games! Tampa is a bad sports city!"

Except, strangely, the Mets' bad attendance in a city literally nine times the size of Tampa can be explained and excused by things like, "Well, they play in Queens" or "Well, they're second-fiddle to the Yankees" or even, "Well, the Yankees sell-out every game so fuck you," but when similar excuses are brought for Tampa--they play in a stadium that is an hour away from most of the population, or that there isn't a large group of young professionals in the area, or that most of the people are football fans, or that the Bucs and the Lightning still sell out consistently--the answer is still, "Well, they should be selling out, so therefore it's a bad sports city and the team should move." It happened with the Thrashers in Atlanta--they had attendance problems. Nevermind that Atlanta has a huge black population that, let's face is, isn't culturally inclined to go to a hockey game or that they have at best a 1/3 of the population of New York (and I don't even know where the stadium was). Now, granted, the Thrashers (like the Mets) didn't make the playoffs, while the Rays have been consistent contenders--so yes, there's room for nuance. I think it's fair to say that there isn't a large baseball community in Tampa. I think it's even fair to say that the owners have reason to move the team. Just like the Thrashers owners had reason to move the team. But Tampa isn't a bad sports town (it's not even a bad baseball town). Neither is Atlanta. Neither is New York.

_________________
given2trade wrote:
Oh, you think I'm being douchey? Well I shall have to re-examine everything then. Thanks brah.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Posts: 25452
Location: Under my wing like Sanford & Son
Gender: Male
I thought the Bucs were having attendance problems?

_________________
Now that god no longer exists, the desire for another world still remains.

Always do the right thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
See you in another life, brother
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 13165
Gender: Male
Mickey wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
The Islanders have been awful for years and play in a decrepit stadium that's not friendly to mass transit and a good hour drive outside the city. Not entirely fair to include them here as evidence of why NY is a bad sports town.

The Mets are still reeling from the Madoff scheme and have historically had up-and-down attendance records based on their success. They play out in Queens and have always been second fiddle to the Yanks.

On the other hand, the Giants, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, and Yankees have all been successful/consistently drawn big crowds.

So that makes one bad franchise, one middle-of-the-road franchise, and five of the most famous/successful/richest franchises in their respective sports.

Right.


I think the original point is this:

Electromatic wrote:
ESPN would be all over this if it were Atlanta or Tampa or Miami etc etc.


And that, like New York, or like any city, there are sometimes variables that account for bad attendance. And like this thread, any article about how Tampa is a bad sports city, or Seattle is a bad sports city, or whatever, is just uninformed and reductive. It doesn't just come from ESPN. It comes from a whole host of (stupid) sources, including people on this board. How many times have I seen this:

"The Rays aren't selling out their games! Tampa is a bad sports city!"

Except, strangely, the Mets' bad attendance in a city literally nine times the size of Tampa can be explained and excused by things like, "Well, they play in Queens" or "Well, they're second-fiddle to the Yankees" or even, "Well, the Yankees sell-out every game so fuck you," but when similar excuses are brought for Tampa--they play in a stadium that is an hour away from most of the population, or that there isn't a large group of young professionals in the area, or that most of the people are football fans, or that the Bucs and the Lightning still sell out consistently--the answer is still, "Well, they should be selling out, so therefore it's a bad sports city and the team should move." It happened with the Thrashers in Atlanta--they had attendance problems. Nevermind that Atlanta has a huge black population that, let's face is, isn't culturally inclined to go to a hockey game or that they have at best a 1/3 of the population of New York (and I don't even know where the stadium was). Now, granted, the Thrashers (like the Mets) didn't make the playoffs, while the Rays have been consistent contenders--so yes, there's room for nuance. I think it's fair to say that there isn't a large baseball community in Tampa. I think it's even fair to say that the owners have reason to move the team. Just like the Thrashers owners had reason to move the team. But Tampa isn't a bad sports town (it's not even a bad baseball town). Neither is Atlanta. Neither is New York.

South Florida approves of this Central Florida post.

_________________
"Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires."
-- John Steinbeck


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Reissued
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:41 pm
Posts: 23014
Location: NOT FLO-RIDIN
Gender: Male
Orpheus wrote:
I thought the Bucs were having attendance problems?


Well, yeah, when you go 4-12 and drop the final ten games or whatever, that happens. Also Tampa (and Florida in general), as I've said before, was one of the hardest-hit states by the recession because so much of the economy is based on tourism and service industries, so tickets in general are down across the state. But there was a wait-list for Bucs season tickets for decades in the mid 2000s, before the Glazers started to funnel money toward ManU instead and started putting a shit product on the field.

Like I said--there's always nuance.

_________________
given2trade wrote:
Oh, you think I'm being douchey? Well I shall have to re-examine everything then. Thanks brah.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
Interweb Celebrity
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:47 am
Posts: 46000
Location: Reasonville
Mickey wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
I thought the Bucs were having attendance problems?


Well, yeah, when you go 4-12 and drop the final ten games or whatever, that happens. Also Tampa (and Florida in general), as I've said before, was one of the hardest-hit states by the recession because so much of the economy is based on tourism and service industries, so tickets in general are down across the state. But there was a wait-list for Bucs season tickets for decades in the mid 2000s, before the Glazers started to funnel money toward ManU instead and started putting a shit product on the field.

Like I said--there's always nuance.

Nuance is confusing. Couldn't we do without it?

_________________
No matter how dark the storm gets overhead
They say someone's watching from the calm at the edge
What about us when we're down here in it?
We gotta watch our backs


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: New York is a Terrible Sports Town
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Reissued
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:41 pm
Posts: 23014
Location: NOT FLO-RIDIN
Gender: Male
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
I thought the Bucs were having attendance problems?


Well, yeah, when you go 4-12 and drop the final ten games or whatever, that happens. Also Tampa (and Florida in general), as I've said before, was one of the hardest-hit states by the recession because so much of the economy is based on tourism and service industries, so tickets in general are down across the state. But there was a wait-list for Bucs season tickets for decades in the mid 2000s, before the Glazers started to funnel money toward ManU instead and started putting a shit product on the field.

Like I said--there's always nuance.

Nuance is confusing. Couldn't we do without it?


Isn't that what God's for?

_________________
given2trade wrote:
Oh, you think I'm being douchey? Well I shall have to re-examine everything then. Thanks brah.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:53 am