Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

whygodeep wrote:
conoalias wrote:
i seriously need to get into their non hit pre 90's stuff.

Three words: Lifes Rich Pageant.

Yup!

I think we should start a thread for LRP. Actually we could start a thread for Side-A alone. Actually we could start a thread for the first 3-songs alone.

Post subject: Re: REM is AWESOME!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:59 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2009/01/1 ... rong-ones/

fans with a charitable streak and plenty of disposable income may want to circle March 11 on their calendars. That’s the date of The Music Of R.E.M. tribute concert at NYC’s Carnegie Hall, with all of the net proceeds benefiting musical education programs for underprivileged youth. The list of confirmed artists so far is stellar: Bob Mould, the reunited Feelies, the dB’s, Marshall Crenshaw, Rhett Miller, the Apples In Stereo, Patti Smith, Glen Hansard (Frames, Swell Season) and others, with Calexico serving as the house band. (Darius Rucker of Hootie And The Blowfish, now a country singer, is also playing, providing the necessary beer/piss break.) ( :lol: ) Tickets range from $38-$125 for the great unwashed, but those not hit hard by the economic downturn can pay $275 for the VIP treatment. This includes the best seats in the house plus entrance to the private artist reception at City Winery featuring cuisine by celebrity chef Mario Batali. The Music Of R.E.M. is the sixth concert in a series of tribute/benefit shows presented by Michael Dorf at either Carnegie Hall or Avery Fisher Hall, with previous editions featuring the music of Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John and Bernie Taupin, and, um, Neil Sedaka.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:04 pm 

RECKONING DELUXE EDITION DUE OUT IN JUNE

On June 23, 2009, Universal Music will release Reckoning - Deluxe Edition (I.R.S./A&M/UMe), a two-CD set, featuring the original album remastered, plus a bonus disc of a previously unreleased concert recorded during the band’s "Little America" tour at Chicago’s Aragon Ballroom on July 7, 1984 (broadcast on WXRT) (see the clip just below the news from 6-9-84 for a glimpse of R.E.M. Live circa Reckoning). In addition, Reckoning and R.E.M’s 1983 debut album Murmur will be simultaneously reissued on audiophile quality 180 gram vinyl in their complete original packaging.

On the Deluxe Edition’s bonus disc, the band performs eight of Reckoning’s ten songs at the Aragon as well as “Gardening At Night” from 1982’s Chronic Town EP and “Radio Free Europe,” “9-9” and “Sitting Still” from Murmur. The band also plays two new songs that had yet to make it onto tape: “Driver 8” which would later appear on Fables of the Reconstruction and “Hyena," later on 1986's Lifes Rich Pageant.

According to the press release for the reissue, "Inclusion of the live concert is particularly appropriate for the Reckoning - Deluxe Edition. Whereas Murmur had been complex and painstakingly deliberate, the band’s Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Michael Stipe, along with producers Mitch Easter and Don Dixon, saw Reckoning as a "chance to turn up the volume, tear up the rule book, and capture instead R.E.M.’s on-stage mojo."

Liner notes for the Deluxe Edition are by Tony Fletcher, author of Remarks: The Story of R.E.M.

Reckoning peaked on the charts at #27, nine spots higher than Murmur (Rolling Stone’s 1983 "Album of the Year") and was eventually certified gold.

Stay tuned for information on how you can pre-order your copy of the Deluxe Edition.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:32 pm 
Supersonic

When are they going to re-master Chronic Town?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:26 pm 
Unthought Known

My buddy is a guide on a branch of the Colorado River Authority in Austin, every morning at 7 I drive hime work, which normally takes a good 35 minutes, listened to Automatic For the People today and remembered how much I love "Ignoreland"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:33 am 
Force of Nature

Quote:
"LIVE FROM THE OLYMPIA COMING IN OCTOBER

In October, Warner Bros. will release R.E.M. LIVE FROM THE OLYMPIA, a special 2-CD set featuring songs from R.E.M.'s storied five-night stint at the Olympia in Dublin in the summer of 2007. The live sessions, produced by the acclaimed Jacknife Lee, capture the energy and excitement surrounding R.E.M.'s so-called "experiment in terror," an unprecedented move in the band's career, in which they debuted and simultaneously ironed out several new tracks each night before sold-out audiences. Eleven of the tracks would come to form the basis of ACCELERATE, R.E.M.'S 14th studio record which later shot straight to number one in 7 countries; the live sessions, carefully referred to by the band throughout as "working rehearsals" rather than shows in the conventional sense, also included an amazing array of songs from the band's impressive back catalog--"olive branches" in Michael's parlance--from some of the band's earliest albums: Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant, and Document." http://www.murmurs.com

Hopefully they add those accelerate outtakes 'staring down...' and 'on the fly' on this set, both are great songs.

ps: accelerate was released more than a year ago, and I still listen to it! great record!

Het nederlandstalige Pearl Jam forum:

http://www.pearljamonline.nl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:35 am 
Force of Nature

Chris_H_2 wrote:
When are they going to re-master Chronic Town?

If they decide to continue this deluxe remaster thing Chronic Town will probably be remastered as part of the Dead Letter Office remaster. Chronic Town was released on the cd of DLO.

Het nederlandstalige Pearl Jam forum:

http://www.pearljamonline.nl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:48 pm 
Devil's Advocate

joostone wrote:
Quote:

In October, Warner Bros. will release R.E.M. LIVE FROM THE OLYMPIA, a special 2-CD set featuring songs from R.E.M.'s storied five-night stint at the Olympia in Dublin in the summer of 2007. The live sessions, produced by the acclaimed Jacknife Lee, capture the energy and excitement surrounding R.E.M.'s so-called "experiment in terror," an unprecedented move in the band's career, in which they debuted and simultaneously ironed out several new tracks each night before sold-out audiences. Eleven of the tracks would come to form the basis of ACCELERATE, R.E.M.'S 14th studio record which later shot straight to number one in 7 countries; the live sessions, carefully referred to by the band throughout as "working rehearsals" rather than shows in the conventional sense, also included an amazing array of songs from the band's impressive back catalog--"olive branches" in Michael's parlance--from some of the band's earliest albums: Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant, and Document." http://www.murmurs.com

Hopefully they add those accelerate outtakes 'staring down...' and 'on the fly' on this set, both are great songs.

ps: accelerate was released more than a year ago, and I still listen to it! great record!

This new live release intrigues me.

REM's about as good as music gets.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:47 pm 
Supersonic

Athletic Supporter wrote:
joostone wrote:
Quote:

This new live release intrigues me.

REM's about as good as music gets.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:39 pm 
Global Moderator

neat!

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:54 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

http://www.remdublin.com/media/videos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:02 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Pretty solid tracklist too, I guess it's all the songs they played through the five shows:

1. “Living Well is the Best Revenge”
2. “Second Guessing”
3. “Letter Never Sent”
4. “Staring Down the Barrel of the Middle Distance”
5. “Disturbance at the Heron House”
6. “Mr. Richards”
7. “Houston”
8. “New Test Leper”
9. “Cuyahoga”
10. “Electrolite”
11. “Man-Sized Wreath”
12. “So. Central Rain”
13. “On The Fly”
14. “Maps and Legends”
15. “Sitting Still”
16. “Driver 8″
17. “Horse to Water”
18. “I’m Gonna DJ”
19. “Circus Envy”
20. “These Days”
21. “Drive”
22. “Feeling Gravitys Pull”
23. “Until the Day is Done”
24. “Accelerate”
25. “Auctioneer”
26. “Little America”
27. “1,000,000″
28. “Disguised”
29. “The Worst Joke Ever”
30. “Welcome to the Occupation”
31. “Carnival of Sorts”
32. “Harborcoat”
33. “Wolves, Lower”
34. “I’ve Been High”
35. “Kohoutek”
36. “West of the Fields”
37. “Pretty Persuasion”
38. “Romance”
39. “Gardening at Night”

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:25 pm 
Supersonic

I'm actually most excited about New Test Leper and Circus Envy, 2 of my all-time favorite post-Automatic songs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:30 am 
Global Moderator

Chris_H_2 wrote:
I'm actually most excited about New Test Leper and Circus Envy, 2 of my all-time favorite post-Automatic songs.

i love circus envy

"I've got my telescope head in the haystack"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:08 am 

you guys made me listen to Monster again. so good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:18 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

conoalias wrote:
you guys made me listen to Monster again. so good.

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:19 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Garden of Stone wrote:
I guess it's all the songs they played through the five shows:

29. “The Worst Joke Ever”

I wouldn't have minded if they left this off.

I wish I could say I was excited about this release. Maybe it will surprise me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I've been listening to REM and playing them a lot lately. I still have yet to see them live and I am dying to.

I know they don't tour often, but where are we on their normal touring schedule? I remember them touring for Accelerate last year (earlier this year?). WIll they not tour again until the next record?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:20 am 
Global Moderator

YessCode wrote:
I've been listening to REM and playing them a lot lately. I still have yet to see them live and I am dying to.

I know they don't tour often, but where are we on their normal touring schedule? I remember them touring for Accelerate last year (earlier this year?). WIll they not tour again until the next record?

probably not

they're a great live band. see them if you can :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

You know, I've never listened to an REM album.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 71  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands