Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:50 am 
Got Some

i'd say keep listening. i didn't like yhf that much either for probably about 4 listens then all of the sudden i really like it, but then again i can see why people wouldn't. i still dont like agib though, what a disappointment. i think being there is their best though, for its variety and its length.

Top Five Musical Geniuses (Alphabetical Order): Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Andrew Hill, Mark Lanegan, Tom Waits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:55 am 
Banned from the Pit

I would recommend that you either get some bootlegs from a recent concert or see them live. The songs, and Jeff Tweedy's vocals, really come alive in concert. The songs sound a lot more... explosive... live, and they are much more energetic.

I kind of felt the same way as you at first, but after hearing a bunch of shows, and then seeing them live, it made me like the "restraint" of the albums even more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:04 am 
Supersonic

See, when I listen to these...alternative bands. There is always something that seems to catch my attention.

Sparklehorse - Super creative, yet emotionally inspiring, lyrics. Coupled with oddball instruments that seem to perfectly accentuate the feel of the song.

Neutral Milk Hotel (In the Aeroplane over the Sea): I downloaded this record from chat on this site, someone said they couldn't stop listening to the first three songs...well...didn't catch my attention. However, 1945 did the first time I listened to it. So did Communist Daughter and Oh Comely. I listened to the whoooooole thing once more, and thought "Anne Frank." From the time that thought crossed my mind, I didn't stop listening to the record for a month.

Swearing at Motorists: Simple lyrics yes, yet...the emotion that David Doughman puts into his work is almost unparalleled.

Guided by Voices: Smothered in Hugs...nothing more to say

Red House Painters: New Jersey, the song just haunts you everywhere you turn.

And as I listen to Wilco, I just feel so dissapointed... I mean, I have never, ever been so dissapointed in a band before. The indie folk have turned me onto a lot of bands lately: Drive by Truckers, Karate, Beulah, Minus the Bear...and this thread really made me want Wilco. And Wilco (in my opinion) is the worst of all these new bands I've checked out.

Don't get me wrong now. Wilco is a GOOD band. Better than 98% of music out there today, it's just not all that everyone's built it up to be. Nothing that serves to catch my attention. I will keep listening though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:09 am 
Former PJ Drummer

what Wilco did you buy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Being There

I was out christmas shopping the other night, and I bought Aerosmith (greatest Hits) and Led Zeppelin (HOTH) for my 10 year old nephew. I couldn't resist treating myself, so I bought Wilco "Being There". I've only listened to it once so far, but I can already tell that I'm really going to like it. The first time through...Misunderstood, Hotel Arizona, and Kingpin really stood out as great songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:53 pm 
Supersonic

do these guys "rock?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

1/2faithfull wrote:
do these guys "rock?"

It's good stoner music... mellow. Some of it is beautiful, some of it is depressing, and some of it is ass-shakin' rock n roll. But no, they don't "rock".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:20 pm 
Supersonic

Quint wrote:
1/2faithfull wrote:
do these guys "rock?"

It's good stoner music... mellow. Some of it is beautiful, some of it is depressing, and some of it is ass-shakin' rock n roll. But no, they don't "rock".

i like getting stoned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:43 pm 
not a big Gay guy

LittleWing wrote:
So I've listened to Summerteeth, A Ghost is Born, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

I put extra emphasis on listening to YHF. And I just don't see the big attraction to it. I want to like it, everybody and their brother hails Wilco, and especially YHF as a masterpiece, but I just don't see it. Today I listened to YHF twice, back to back. And the only songs that I find particularly wonderful are the first and last tracks. Reservation in my opinion seems to be the only song of true worth. And when I listen to three records collectively, "At Least That's What You Said," is the only track that strikes me as astounding, and I think that is just because of the outro.

I don't know why I'm off the ball here. Is this a band that I need to listen to a few times like a Neutral Milk Hotel, or a Guided by Voices? As I listen to it, the vocalist seems dull, listless, boring, and lacks any sort of power. The instrumentals, although creative in nature, seem misplaced.

The only thing I seem to equate to Wilco is Sparklehorse in the oddity aspect of it. Ya know, the strange instruments and oddball samples... I just keep thinking...don't ask me why, but of all the bands in the world to compair Wilco to, Sparklehorse pops to mind, and in my opinion, Sparklehorse is much better in all aspects. Better song writing, more originality, and the oddball instruments always seem perfectly placed in Sparklehorse tunes.

Am I the only one with this Sparklehorse - Wilco connection?

YHF doesn't give me the boner that it gives a lot of other people, but if you needed to listen to netural milk hotel a few times, i think you may have problems.

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:59 pm 
Supersonic

Not a few times. When I first started listening to it, I really wasn't paying too much attention to it. I saw someone who said something to the effect, "Holland 1945 will own you by the time the nights out," to someone who had just obtained the CD. Sure enough, Holland 1945 instantly soaked through me on the first play.

Aeroplane isn't a record that is instantly a perfect masterpiece. You have to listen to a a few times. Every single time you pick up something new, you connect the dots, every last second of music on it becomes absolutely necessary, serves a point, and has a purpose. You don't get that from listening to ANY record just once. Bare in mind, I had absolutely no clue what that record was about when I first started listening to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:00 pm 
Devil's Advocate

LW -

What Wilco record/records are you checking out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:56 pm 
Supersonic

Check out my response on page two of this thread. Once Rush is over, I'm back to Wilco for another try :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:47 am 
Banned from the Pit

why not get crazy and get the dvd, I am trying to break your heart?

its fantastic, documenting the drama and music associated with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:47 pm 
Force of Nature

My favorite Wilco Albums:

1. Being There
2. A Ghost Is Born
3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4. A.M.
5. Summerteeth
6. Mermaid Ave 1 & 2

Having said that, every one of these albums I would put in the top 150 albums I own, and I own like 500 albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:18 pm 
Supersonic

trust me to take until 2005 to check out one of the greatest albums of 2004 :roll:

"spiders" is kicking my arse. song of the year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:11 am 
Banned from the Pit

Any great bootlegs available that show off their catalogue strongpoints?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:36 am 
Reissued

Big bump because...

Go to http://www.wilcoworld.net, click on roadcase, and open the recording of the show they played at the Fillmore. You can listen to the whole thing if you want, or you can seek to the live version of At Least Thats What You Said....

HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! When the other instruments kick in at the beginning of the jam, I thought my speakers were going to break! Holy fuck that was loud. And the jam...oh Jesus.

Why did I miss this concert!!!!!??!?!?!?! :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:41 am 
Supersonic

Master Slave wrote:
Big bump because...

Go to http://www.wilcoworld.net, click on roadcase, and open the recording of the show they played at the Fillmore. You can listen to the whole thing if you want, or you can seek to the live version of At Least Thats What You Said....

HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! When the other instruments kick in at the beginning of the jam, I thought my speakers were going to break! Holy fuck that was loud. And the jam...oh Jesus.

I'm afraid I must make you feel a bit worse...one's life is not complete until you've witness Wilco live. I saw 'em in February, and Jesus Christ. Best concert I've ever been to by FAR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:43 am 
Reissued

dyingonahilltop wrote:
Master Slave wrote:
Big bump because...

I'm afraid I must make you feel a bit worse...one's life is not complete until you've witness Wilco live. I saw 'em in February, and Jesus Christ. Best concert I've ever been to by FAR.

Oh my god I can imagine. This feed off their site is immaculate. And...ALTWYS makes me feel all tingly with anticiaption and excitement. Its probably my favorite Wilco song. Jesus. I wish I could have gone when they came in February, but alas, it was a weeknight and I had no ride. FUCK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:00 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

I'm watching Jay Bennett implode on the DVD and it is very uncomfortable viewing.

j.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands