Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:22 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

been listening to their cover of Gentle in my mind, fuckin awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:47 am 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Walter Sobchak wrote:
What should I buy/download to get into REM ? I only know their hits ("losing my religion", "shiny happy people or what's it called") and I'd like to appreciate more of them.

New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Fables of the Reconstruction, or Automatic For The People.

I also have a hard time recommending a first album for REM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:53 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

I just thought of something: Stip only loves R.E.M. because his last name and Michael Stipe's last name start with the same 4 letters. That poser doesn't like the music, that's just his claim to fame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:10 am 

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
I just thought of something: Stip only loves R.E.M. because his last name and Michael Stipe's last name start with the same 4 letters. That poser doesn't like the music, that's just his claim to fame!

You've outed Stip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:32 am 
King David The Wicked

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:
What should I buy/download to get into REM ? I only know their hits ("losing my religion", "shiny happy people or what's it called") and I'd like to appreciate more of them.

New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Fables of the Reconstruction, or Automatic For The People.

no on fables, unless you want to see if he can withstand the worst sounding REM record.

I'd say just get the best of compilations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:34 am 

Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

no on fables, unless you want to see if he can withstand the worst sounding REM record.

Well, I love it. Great how we differ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:37 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

That's pretty much the best advice for looking into any unfamiliar band, IMO. While greatest hits albums always leave off some of the artist's best tracks, it's a good place to start just to get a feel for the diversity of their entire catalogue. Velvet Underground is in my top 5 bands and I started with a 9 track greatest hits album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:39 am 

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

That's pretty much the best advice for looking into any unfamiliar band, IMO. While greatest hits albums always leave off some of the artist's best tracks, it's a good place to start just to get a feel for the diversity of their entire catalogue. Velvet Underground is in my top 5 bands and I started with a 9 track greatest hits album.

I started with a greatest hits for Bruce. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:41 am 
King David The Wicked

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

It's a good album. Good songs and the rest of it, but it sounds like shit. It's so murky and diluted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:43 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

And all these years later, 80% of your favorite Bruce songs are probably songs that didn't make the greatest hits album, yes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:50 am 

Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

It's a good album. Good songs and the rest of it, but it sounds like shit. It's so murky and diluted.

I see what you are saying. For that reason it shouldn't be something to start with maybe, but once you are a fan you can get past that enough. At least I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:53 am 

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

And all these years later, 80% of your favorite Bruce songs are probably songs that didn't make the greatest hits album, yes?

Yep. Maybe 2 of the GH would make my top ten and one of them isn't a greatest hit it was a new song, Murder Inc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:30 am 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

Peter Van Wieren wrote:

thing with REM is that they leave out a shitload of amazing, if not better songs from these compilations. Well the IRS one is pretty spot on, but the 88-03 one kinda sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:45 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

conoalias wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:

thing with REM is that they leave out a shitload of amazing, if not better songs from these compilations. Well the IRS one is pretty spot on, but the 88-03 one kinda sucks.

You say it kinda sucks because you're familiar with the majority of R.E.M.'s catalogue. But if you were new to the band, don't you think it would be a good place to start? Just about any band worth their salt has gems on albums that will never be released as a single or make a greatest hits album. In Time is pretty indicative of the diversity of each album throughout the era it spans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:52 am 

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
conoalias wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:

You say it kinda sucks because you're familiar with the majority of R.E.M.'s catalogue. But if you were new to the band, don't you think it would be a good place to start? Just about any band worth their salt has gems on albums that will never be released as a single or make a greatest hits album. In Time is pretty indicative of the diversity of each album throughout the era it spans.

yeah, sucks is not the right word. still though, only one song from Monster (Let Me In, Crush With Eyeliner, Strange Currencies :shock:), no Leave, no So Fast, So Numb, no Walk Unafraid, no Country fucking Feedback. i'd rather had seen Animal and Bad Day on the rarities disc and have hem put either one of those songs on the A disc instead. and Stand? come on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:09 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

conoalias wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
conoalias wrote:
Peter Van Wieren wrote:

yeah, sucks is not the right word. still though, only one song from Monster (Let Me In, Crush With Eyeliner, Strange Currencies :shock:), no Leave, no So Fast, So Numb, no Walk Unafraid, no Country fucking Feedback. i'd rather had seen Animal and Bad Day on the rarities disc and have hem put either one of those songs on the A disc instead. and Stand? come on.

Oh I agree that some amazing tracks were left off, most notably the Monster songs that you've mentioned. But hey, I'm also a guy who likes Shiny Happy People so my opinion is probably worthless here. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:13 am 

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Oh I agree that some amazing tracks were left off, most notably the Monster songs that you've mentioned. But hey, I'm also a guy who likes Shiny Happy People so my opinion is probably worthless here. :lol:

well that's fine, though we can agree it wouldn't belong on a best of, yeah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:26 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

conoalias wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Nope. It's a throwaway track, but still a fun little number. I think part of the reason it's so disliked is because of the album it's featured on; much like Mankind from PJ's No Code, it sticks out like a sore thumb given the other tracks that surround it.

In Time should have been a two-disc set, no doubt (meaning 3 discs when combined with the rare stuff). I love All the Right Friends, but it wasn't a new track or a greatest hit, so how it made it's way to the main disc is beyond me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:31 am 

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
conoalias wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Nope. It's a throwaway track, but still a fun little number. I think part of the reason it's so disliked is because of the album it's featured on; much like Mankind from PJ's No Code, it sticks out like a sore thumb given the other tracks that surround it.

In Time should have been a two-disc set, no doubt (meaning 3 discs when combined with the rare stuff). I love All the Right Friends, but it wasn't a new track or a greatest hit, so how it made it's way to the main disc is beyond me.

Stand as well, i mean come on man.

Last edited by conoalias on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Walter Sobchak wrote:

Automatic for the people is usually a safe bet if you want an album. Honestly though, the greatest hits aren't necessarily a bad place to start either, and then start tracking down the records that have the songs you like

Monster and out of time are also safe places to start since you'll know a lot of the songs

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands